2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New PING S-series Iron / S55 / S-55(merged)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone should start a poll on which will be released first: S55 or i25. ;) There have been various threads around here on both these topics, with no lack of opinions. :rap: Not that opinions from the masses have any influence on what Ping does, but hey, people around here love to speculate. :black eye:

i20's are on discount, but no discount on S56. That could either mean S55 are not coming anytime soon, or retailer stock on S56 is sufficiently low that Ping doesn't have to help deplete stock before the new clubs hit the market. Not sure of course, don't work for Ping, but that doesn't seem to stop others from speaking in definitive terms. :rap:

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1373046617' post='7393556']
Maybe someone should start a poll on which will be released first: S55 or i25? There have been various threads around here on both these topics, with no lack of opinions. Not that opinions from the masses have any influence on what Ping does. :taunt:

i20's are on discount, but no discount on S56. That could either mean S55 are not coming anytime soon, or retailer stock on S56 is sufficiently low that Ping doesn't have to help deplete stock before the new clubs hit the market. Not sure of course, don't work for Ping, but that doesn't seem to stop others from speaking in definitive terms. :rap:
[/quote]just an FYI....my local shop that is a large Ping account discounted S56 from $899 to $699 for 3-pw today. Of course it was in stock only and I am sure they have Ping's permission. They would never do anything to jeopardize their account. I would assume this means something new will be coming the end of next month or early September.

. :rap:
[quote]just an FYI....my local shop that is a large Ping account discounted S56 from $899 to $699 for 3-pw today. Of course it was in stock only and I am sure they have Ping's permission. They would never do anything to jeopardize their account. I would assume this means something new will be coming the end of next month or early September.
[/quote]
seriously? Nike just discounted their pro vr combos too......tis the season!!!

do they have any blue dots in stock? I want to get a set for my brother

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1372986305' post='7390160']
[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1372981962' post='7389894']
The s55 will not be forged as the ansers hold that spot in the market for ping. tsecor's head may explode when that gets revealed because the "quality" won't be up to snuff for his standards. I know we don't want to argue about cast vs forged in this thread because there is a ton of those already. However dispersion isn't better with either one, claiming that forged has better dispersion than cast is simply outrageous.
[/quote]
the forged is a hope and how many people actually buy ansers @ 1500 a set?....[u][b]as I said three other times, I own S56's[/b][/u].....lets move on already and the only thing that can make my head explode is another person crapping on another person for having opinions. Seems to be pretty common around this thread
[/quote]

What I said was about your claim that dispersion is better with forged. That's not an opinion your were stating a fact, and that fact is false based on science. I said nothing about your opinions.

My guess for release dates are s56 late summer early fall and i25s in January.

I just ordered a set of i20's. If the i25's are way better I am going to be pissed lol. I can't imagine they are going to be that much better. I have a set of Nippon SP Blues ready to go in once they get here. Can't wait.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1373070147' post='7395338']
[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1372986305' post='7390160']
[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1372981962' post='7389894']
The s55 will not be forged as the ansers hold that spot in the market for ping. tsecor's head may explode when that gets revealed because the "quality" won't be up to snuff for his standards. I know we don't want to argue about cast vs forged in this thread because there is a ton of those already. However dispersion isn't better with either one, claiming that forged has better dispersion than cast is simply outrageous.
[/quote]
the forged is a hope and how many people actually buy ansers @ 1500 a set?....[u][b]as I said three other times, I own S56's[/b][/u].....lets move on already and the only thing that can make my head explode is another person crapping on another person for having opinions. Seems to be pretty common around this thread
[/quote]

What I said was about your claim that dispersion is better with forged. That's not an opinion your were stating a fact, and that fact is false based on science. I said nothing about your opinions.

My guess for release dates are s56 late summer early fall and i25s in January.
[/quote]

pssst....we've all moved on....no harm, no fouls....lets be more productive moving forward......points taken though.....I hope you are right bout the late summer release timeframe

[quote name='pullfade' timestamp='1373072464' post='7395500']
[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1373070011' post='7395332']
. :rap:
[quote]just an FYI....my local shop that is a large Ping account discounted S56 from $899 to $699 for 3-pw today. Of course it was in stock only and I am sure they have Ping's permission. They would never do anything to jeopardize their account. I would assume this means something new will be coming the end of next month or early September.
[/quote]
seriously? Nike just discounted their pro vr combos too......tis the season!!!

do they have any blue dots in stock? I want to get a set for my brother
[/quote]No blue at this shop, but they had yellow and green. I bought a set of black dots today! :) I do not have the patience to wait and see.....
[/quote]
if they have any more black dots, let me know.....ill send the money ASAP.....what shop is it? Can I call them or contact them?

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1373036564' post='7392598']
[quote name='bushwood' timestamp='1373036227' post='7392570']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1372994934' post='7390872']
S55's are not coming out in the summer or probably the fall. Look for January guys.
[/quote]

Is that good intel or just a guess?
[/quote]

Its what I heard from people that are associated with the company but even they don't get straight answers on release dates. Put it this way. Ping does things in their own time not always on a schedule. I25's I hear are very sweet.
[/quote]

If the i25's move the needle again, that would be amazing. The i20's were a huge hit over the i15's and if they can do that again, the i25's will be quite some iron.

In terms of timing, because of the units sold, the i series would be much greater than the S series.

Once again per a half dozen reps. they will be shown the S55s at their summer sales meeting and they will be available in the usual fall time frame. Probably will see pictures around Open time. Everything else will be next spring (probably shown at the PGA show). The only question is will the S55s cavity look like the Gorge wedges (which has followed suit twice before) and will the finish be like the Gorges or another satin chrome plate job.

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1373112201' post='7397242']
is there any ping club that is not satin? I cant re-call any chrome pings
[/quote]
Don't the older g5, g10 etc have some kind of media finish? and before that some were tumbled I thought.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, and talking about something completely different.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Is this not another example of a great Golfwrx topic where it would seem, quite simply, no one really knows anything - even some of the early posts were so certain, and some are nearly 12 months out of date with their promises of this new offering from Ping!!

Still, i would not miss it, and the speculation re forged/cast, cavity shape and styling is just the best - don't stop guys!!!!!!

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1336598836' post='4882866']
[quote name='Horse Neck' timestamp='1336597762' post='4882716']
The S55's will come out, and they will be same clubs PING made the last 4 times, and all the PING faithfuls including me will buy them.
[/quote]

Horse Neck with the cynicism for Post #1. Nicely done - welcome to the site.
[/quote] +1

[/quote]

Most of the early pings were all tumbled finish. Later they developed a finer star shot finish that could be obtained on the irons but was mostly used on putters. After the S59s which were the tumbled finish the S59 Tours had a part of the club polished as did the S58s. Both of those models had some problems with rusting. After that it appears that Ping decided to chrome plate the next models the S57 and S56..Chrome plating had to be done overseas as EPA has made good plating a problem in the U.S. All the multi material irons seemed to be done overseas due to lack of capability here. Whether Ping will bring some of that back here is unclear due to rising overseas labor rates.

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1373126926' post='7398080']
[/quote]
Don't the older g5, g10 etc have some kind of media finish? and before that some were tumbled I thought.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, and talking about something completely different.
[/quote]

I really do miss the guyson finish. A man really had to work hard to wear down those grooves.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1373166009' post='7400956']
[/quote]

Most of the early pings were all tumbled finish. Later they developed a finer star shot finish that could be obtained on the irons but was mostly used on putters. After the S59s which were the tumbled finish the S59 Tours had a part of the club polished as did the S58s. Both of those models had some problems with rusting. After that it appears that Ping decided to chrome plate the next models the S57 and S56..Chrome plating had to be done overseas as EPA has made good plating a problem in the U.S. All the multi material irons seemed to be done overseas due to lack of capability here. Whether Ping will bring some of that back here is unclear due to rising overseas labor rates.
[/quote]
gotcha...thanks....

Gorge cavity with gorge finish is my guess, should be sharp. Toss in a nice radius grind to improve bounce and BAM you have a winner winner chicken dinner...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Got told by my Ping rep. today that they are pushing every club launch to Feb. 2014 (as of now), just because of Taylor Made's failed goal of 60% market share, who has produced way more Clubs than they can sell and are now floding the market with cheap wholesale prices.. Love it, and hope that Ping keep doing what they do and keep the business in the Solheim family!

Mizuno ST190 G w/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
Mizuno ST190 TS 15 w/Accra TZ6 85 M5
Mizuno MP-20 3-Pw w/DG TI X100
Mizuno MP-20 Raw 56 & 60 w/DG TI S400
Artisan Custom 0117 35''
ProV1x

[quote name='mbjone' timestamp='1373321202' post='7411972']
Got told by my Ping rep. today that they are pushing every club launch to Feb. 2014 (as of now), [b]just because of Taylor Made's failed goal of 60% market share, who has produced way more Clubs than they can sell and are now floding the market with cheap wholesale prices.. [/b]Love it, and hope that Ping keep doing what they do and keep the business in the Solheim family!
[/quote]

So is it mostly in Europe where this is happening?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='mbjone' timestamp='1373321202' post='7411972']
Got told by my Ping rep. today that they are pushing every club launch to Feb. 2014 (as of now), just because of Taylor Made's failed goal of 60% market share, who has produced way more Clubs than they can sell and are now floding the market with cheap wholesale prices.. Love it, and hope that Ping keep doing what they do and keep the business in the Solheim family!
[/quote]

I love manufacturers NOT putting out new clubs every other quarter. I also love manufacturers looking for real substantial upgrades in their clubs and not just forcing out new lines for the hell of it while relying on marketing hype. It's great to see actual upgrades in design from Ping like we have seen from the i15 to the i20 and the G20 to the G25, and it's also great that they have a nice two year schedule for those lines that cover the majority of golfers. Ping has done a fantastic job of putting that full effort into a few key lines that target different players instead of forcing out every tiny step in technology into clubs that force a heavy succession of obsoletion. Having said that, I can't argue with the price cuts that come with the competition of manufacturers spitting out clubs at a rapid rate.

Ideally, Ping would just release the clubs when they are ready. However, I can see some upside in advanced marketing a line like the S series by putting them in their staff's hands to create some inherent, natural hype and buzz with the serious gamers and ultra-hos like you find here before they invest in a big campaign. I just want to see them, already.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

A lot of humble opinions on here. I don't want to see them or know when they come out. I don't want to test them or try them. I want to have them in the bag and on the course, helping me beat my friends.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1373211953' post='7402866']
Gorge cavity with gorge finish is my guess, should be sharp. Toss in a nice radius grind to improve bounce and BAM you have a winner winner chicken dinner...BB
[/quote]

Good point, It would certainly be a nice change to use the gorge finish as the satin chrome has been used for the last two cycles. It might help them sell a few more with a new finish. Introducing it now won't really impact their bottom line as this is their lowest volume club sales wise. Save the big stuff for next spring.

If TaylorMade is supposedly flooding the market with too much inventory, it begs the question why bring out a new driver. Probably more like the R1 and Stage 2 aren't selling, just like the Razr Fit Extreme wasn't selling so come with a new miracle club....

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1373380162' post='7416518']
[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1373211953' post='7402866']
[/quote]

Good point, It would certainly be a nice change to use the gorge finish as the satin chrome has been used for the last two cycles. It might help them sell a few more with a new finish. Introducing it now won't really impact their bottom line as this is their lowest volume club sales wise. Save the big stuff for next spring.

If TaylorMade is supposedly flooding the market with too much inventory, it begs the question why bring out a new driver. Probably more like the R1 and Stage 2 aren't selling, just like the Razr Fit Extreme wasn't selling so come with a new miracle club....

[/quote]

You seem to have the inside track. Are the S55 coming out in the fall or spring? I was going to consider them along with the new mizuno offering and the X forged.