2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New PING S-series Iron / S55 / S-55(merged)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1374162312' post='7482464']
you just made my point.....AND from what I read in these forums, the Ansers outsell the S56's???

So, I agree with you. I dont see why PING would rush to make another iron "just because" and then sit on them and not release them.....PING and Titleist are the best out there in my opinion and I agree with you on all accounts.....
[/quote]
Then why did you make the previous post about if Ping is sitting on these in a warehouse.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'd just like some definitive information one way or another about whether or not there is a new S series model coming out in the near future (which I define as between now and early next year). I have to change irons after this year, because my S58s have non-conforming grooves, and I want to still be able to play tournaments next year (our state golf association is going along with the USGA timetable). I'll try some other options to see if I can find something that works better for me, but I'm 90% sure that I'm going to be buying a new set of Ping S series irons, because I love my S58s. I'd like to get fitted for my new set at the end of August, but if there is a new model coming out, I might hold off on that to see if I like the new one better.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

We are not going to see a S55 this year. Ping has released the new sets at a certain time of the year for marketing reasons and its always been at the Open or sometimes you might see them at the Scottish Open. They have done well with this so I don't see them straying to far off this trend. The big events bring the most attention. Some members on here might comment that the OEM's don't care about what we are talking about or what we think on Golfwrx but I disagree in a huge way. This site has the largest membership of any Golf
website, club or group in the world and they are listening to us. Sometimes I wonder if they hear us but they are listening. Not only is it the largest group of Golfers but they hear from not just your average weekend players but they here from every type of Golfer from beginners to professionals. This site is huge for market research to see what we think and what we want. My own opinion is I do not think Ping has a wharehouse full if S55 irons waiting to launch. I would not doubt if they go with the S/i series combo iron set. If the S55 was coming its time. They must have something bigger in there eyes coming soon but it will most likely be next July. The S56 is not selling well so thought it would sooner than later.

I'll tell you this...If PING really does launch the s55 in August, and nobody has seen doodoo of a leaked pic or anything, then the various heads of our national security associations should start taking some notes...

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1374177024' post='7484916']
We are not going to see a S55 this year. Ping has released the new sets at a certain time of the year for marketing reasons and its always been at the Open or sometimes you might see them at the Scottish Open. They have done well with this so I don't see them straying to far off this trend. The big events bring the most attention. Some members on here might comment that the OEM's don't care about what we are talking about or what we think on Golfwrx but I disagree in a huge way. This site has the largest membership of any Golf
website, club or group in the world and they are listening to us. Sometimes I wonder if they hear us but they are listening. Not only is it the largest group of Golfers but they hear from not just your average weekend players but they here from every type of Golfer from beginners to professionals. This site is huge for market research to see what we think and what we want. My own opinion is I do not think Ping has a wharehouse full if S55 irons waiting to launch. I would not doubt if they go with the S/i series combo iron set. If the S55 was coming its time. They must have something bigger in there eyes coming soon but it will most likely be next July. The S56 is not selling well so thought it would sooner than later.
[/quote]

The whole "warehouse full of clubs" to release is in fact true to some extent.

Its the way business works. You have to store products for an official launch - thats how clubs hit the stores all at the same time.

Lets be practical here for a moment and recognize there is SOME truth to that.

My PING rep told me no i25's this year because PING couldnt yet put enough tech in the i25's to make it a big enough difference from the i20.

Thats my .02.

So, in part we are all right and we are all wrong.

website, club or group in the world and they are listening to us. Sometimes I wonder if they hear us but they are listening. Not only is it the largest group of Golfers but they hear from not just your average weekend players but they here from every type of Golfer from beginners to professionals. This site is huge for market research to see what we think and what we want. My own opinion is I do not think Ping has a wharehouse full if S55 irons waiting to launch. I would not doubt if they go with the S/i series combo iron set. If the S55 was coming its time. They must have something bigger in there eyes coming soon but it will most likely be next July. [b]The S56 is not selling well so thought it would sooner than later.[/b]
[/quote]

They aren't??

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1374180246' post='7485332']
website, club or group in the world and they are listening to us. Sometimes I wonder if they hear us but they are listening. Not only is it the largest group of Golfers but they hear from not just your average weekend players but they here from every type of Golfer from beginners to professionals. This site is huge for market research to see what we think and what we want. My own opinion is I do not think Ping has a wharehouse full if S55 irons waiting to launch. I would not doubt if they go with the S/i series combo iron set. If the S55 was coming its time. They must have something bigger in there eyes coming soon but it will most likely be next July. [b]The S56 is not selling well so thought it would sooner than later.[/b]
[/quote]

They aren't??
[/quote]

Maybe he means they are not selling well compared to a newly release club??

[quote name='Golf_LU' timestamp='1374180492' post='7485362']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1374180246' post='7485332']
[/quote]

They aren't??
[/quote]

Maybe he means they are not selling well compared to a newly release club??
[/quote]

But they are a staple to his golf group!!!

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Yes he's right. As far as a players club they are being overlooked and I am only commenting on from what I hear from 3 or 4 shops I deal with. I was talking to some guys at a event we attend and three of them work at local shops and when the S55 possibility came up they all said it would be good to see a new S series iron because interest in the 56 had went way down. Some customers that played the S56 switched just to get something new. The S56 is old. Over 3 years on a golf club is a long time if your playing a few times a week and going to the range at least once a week. The S56 is not your weekend golfers iron.

They are a staple with the group of guys I play with. Out of 9 guys I play with 5 of them play the 56's and they would love to see a new S series iron but these guys are Ping guys. Not everyone is as loyal to just playing one manufacturer. I've played everything under the sun. I just ordered a new set of Cleveland TC 588's. I would switch if the S55 was released but I'm not holding my breathe.

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1374181654' post='7485476']
Yes he's right. As far as a players club they are being overlooked and I am only commenting on from what I hear from 3 or 4 shops I deal with. I was talking to some guys at a event we attend and three of them work at local shops and when the S55 possibility came up they all said it would be good to see a new S series iron because interest in the 56 had went way down. Some customers that played the S56 switched just to get something new. The S56 is old. Over 3 years on a golf club is a long time if your playing a few times a week and going to the range at least once a week. The S56 is not your weekend golfers iron.
[/quote]

You're right it isn't, not that it was ever billed to be.

However, that fact seems to lend at least some credibility to the idea that PING doesn't have to roll the next installment out before it's ready, because it's not really their money making, bread and butter line. I can definitely see people (a better player) switching from the s56 just to get into something new though. I can believe that.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1374168592' post='7483818']
you just made my point.....AND from what I read in these forums, the Ansers outsell the S56's???

So, I agree with you. I dont see why PING would rush to make another iron "just because" and then sit on them and not release them.....PING and Titleist are the best out there in my opinion and I agree with you on all accounts.....
[/quote]
Then why did you make the previous post about if Ping is sitting on these in a warehouse.
[/quote]

that was based on post # 419 which states

"[i]Agree. The S55's are packed up and sitting in a warehouse but Ping will only release them when they feel it's time. They aren't in a rush as existing irons are still selling well"[/i]

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1374178895' post='7485134']
I'll tell you this...If PING really does launch the s55 in August, and nobody has seen doodoo of a leaked pic or anything, then the various heads of our national security associations should start taking some notes...
[/quote]

Leaks rarely happen much before manufacturers put these clubs in pros hands. We've seen this happen again and again, 99% of the time with new club releases. The biggest gap I think I've seen lately with tour clubs is like a week with "leaked" photos of drivers getting xeroxed into the PGA conforming clubs list.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1374159458' post='7481894']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1374086228' post='7474614']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1374084048' post='7474322']
I'm a couple generations behind, but my s58s feel great, and they have the added benefit of still being in awesome shape after 5 years and hundreds of rounds and even more range sessions. I don't ho irons, so to me, the fact that they're cast and super durable is a huge selling point, and if they were forged (which they won't be, or else I'll be looking for some tenderizer that'll work well with cord grips), I would be much less likely to buy them.
[/quote]

Agreed, while cast clubs may not feel as buttery smooth they sure last a lot longer.

If you jump irons every couple of years then why not get forged ones, but if you stick with a set (like Ping players typically do as I had my i5's for about 8 years....) the durability of Ping makes them worth even more in my opinion.
[/quote]

cast clubs do not last longer...I have forged blades in my garage from 1983 that my father handed down to me....they still play just as good as any "modern" club
[/quote]

Eh, it's more about material than process and the softer carbon steel used in most forged clubs will wear faster than the 17-4 stainless used in most cast clubs. My old Ping ISI becu irons that I gamed for ten years still have damn near perfect grooves as do my S59s, I can't say that about any of the forged clubs I've gamed.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

[quote name='kronik' timestamp='1374190085' post='7486382']
[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1374159458' post='7481894']
[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1374086228' post='7474614']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1374084048' post='7474322']
I'm a couple generations behind, but my s58s feel great, and they have the added benefit of still being in awesome shape after 5 years and hundreds of rounds and even more range sessions. I don't ho irons, so to me, the fact that they're cast and super durable is a huge selling point, and if they were forged (which they won't be, or else I'll be looking for some tenderizer that'll work well with cord grips), I would be much less likely to buy them.
[/quote]

Agreed, while cast clubs may not feel as buttery smooth they sure last a lot longer.

If you jump irons every couple of years then why not get forged ones, but if you stick with a set (like Ping players typically do as I had my i5's for about 8 years....) the durability of Ping makes them worth even more in my opinion.
[/quote]

cast clubs do not last longer...I have forged blades in my garage from 1983 that my father handed down to me....they still play just as good as any "modern" club
[/quote]

Eh, it's more about material than process and the softer carbon steel used in most forged clubs will wear faster than the 17-4 stainless used in most cast clubs. My old Ping ISI becu irons that I gamed for ten years still have damn near perfect grooves as do my S59s, I can't say that about any of the forged clubs I've gamed.
[/quote]
my old hogans have awesome grooves too and my dad said he paid 299 dollars for a set of 8 irons.....not a bad deal

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1374184888' post='7485856']

[/quote]
[/quote]

"[i]Agree. The S55's are packed up and sitting in a warehouse but Ping will only release them when they feel it's time. They aren't in a rush as existing irons are still selling well"[/i]
[/quote]

I don't agree that they are doing that either but what I was referring to is:
"if these are sitting in a warehouse, and ping isnt ready to release them AND they found it hard to improve on the S56's...it sounds like PINGS development and marketing group need an overhaul"

I would imagine that the next irons in this category, be it S55 or SI, are in fact about to be seeded to the tour soon. But just because Ping or any other manufacturer doesn't put out a line in a specified manner or differs from what they have done before doesn't mean anything is wrong with their development, marketing, seeding, tour vans, staff, meteorologists, office manager or accounting depts.

Like blaming the spin numbers of a driver on the cafeteria switching Chicken Tortilla soups to Wednesday instead of Tuesday (which some people are about Sodexo).

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1374182188' post='7485522']
[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1374181654' post='7485476']
[/quote]

You're right it isn't, not that it was ever billed to be.

However, that fact seems to lend at least some credibility to the idea that PING doesn't have to roll the next installment out before it's ready, because it's not really their money making, bread and butter line. I can definitely see people (a better player) switching from the s56 just to get into something new though. I can believe that.
[/quote]

The stuff I'm posting here is not me just vomiting out ideas or making things up... It comes from a reliable source.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1374199511' post='7487388']The stuff I'm posting here is not me just vomiting out ideas or making things up... It comes from a reliable source.
[/quote]
I believe you.

By all accounts the s56 are great irons, which is why I believe reports that PING had trouble improving upon them. I guess my thought was that since they are not a staple money making line like the G or I, they don'thavetoput one out sooner than it's ready[i], [/i]just to fill the slot, especially if they are still well liked with the tour staff. That's just my summation, and I could very well be way off on that.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

come on ping give us a sneak peak loved the 56s but really hoping the 55s come good,

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1374194010' post='7486764']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

"if these are sitting in a warehouse, and ping isnt ready to release them AND they found it hard to improve on the S56's...it sounds like PINGS development and marketing group need an overhaul"

I would imagine that the next irons in this category, be it S55 or SI, are in fact about to be seeded to the tour soon. But just because Ping or any other manufacturer doesn't put out a line in a specified manner or differs from what they have done before doesn't mean anything is wrong with their development, marketing, seeding, tour vans, staff, meteorologists, office manager or accounting depts.

Like blaming the spin numbers of a driver on the cafeteria switching Chicken Tortilla soups to Wednesday instead of Tuesday (which some people are about Sodexo).
[/quote]

I think you are reading way to far into a slightly sarcastic comment....nobody is blaming anyone for anything......I love PING and have played Ansers and S56's for the last 3 years.....played PING EYE irons back in the day too.....The comment isnt as deep as you are making it out to be....

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1374232905' post='7489422']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you are reading way to far into a slightly sarcastic comment....nobody is blaming anyone for anything......I love PING and have played Ansers and S56's for the last 3 years.....played PING EYE irons back in the day too.....The comment isnt as deep as you are making it out to be....
[/quote]

I made the warehouse comment and was being completely sarcastic. I was just trying to illustrate Pings "We release it when we WANT" attitude instead of a set schedule. Honestly if you like the 56's then continue to enjoy them. The 55's will not be some revolutionary Ping iron. Ping makes minor improvements but nothing that is going to be a game changer.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1374233962' post='7489540']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I made the warehouse comment and was being completely sarcastic. I was just trying to illustrate Pings I release it when I WANT attitude instead of a set schedule. Honestly if you like the 56's then continue to enjoy them. The 55's will not be some revolutionary Ping iron. Ping makes minor improvements but nothing that is going to be a game changer.
[/quote]

Gotcha J, my sarcastic meter was broken for your comment.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well saying they need an overhaul is as deep as I read into it.

Jax no worries sometimes we (meaning me here) assume people can hear the little voice in my head or the tone in my voice lol.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

An S55 / i25 combo set methodology sounds interesting. The ho's would go crazy buying both type so Ping would sell lots of extra irons.;)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1374248329' post='7491356']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1374243534' post='7490724']
Jax no worries sometimes we (meaning me here) assume people can hear the little voice in my head or the tone in my voice lol.
[/quote]

i think the same way :)
[/quote]

You guys need to get a room
:)

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

this thread has taken a weird turn ;-)