2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New PING S-series Iron / S55 / S-55(merged)

I agree those pics look more like the i20 successor. The

topline and sole look to be i20 width.

you guys realize these drawings are blown up a bit. Compare the i20 patent drawings to this new one

i20

201108161Out.jpg?a=24

S55?

s55-2.jpg

Its the s55 guys. This happened with the i20 as well, a few months before they were release these patent drawings came out. The i20s just came out last year, You wont see anything about the i25 until next jan or so

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1369096685' post='7072502']
I could still see a scenario where Ping moves the S series and the I series into one "morphed" series. They could then reduce the price of Anser line, to build volume, and the Anser line is almost a clone spec wise of the current I line.

[b]If they morphed the S and I line, that would be a dynamite iron, IMHO[/b].
[/quote]

I agree here. Hit the anser irons today on the launch monitor. They are longer than my i20's and s56's. Felt even better and are just as forgiving. Should have gone with the Ansers but I wasnt allowed. Had to pick something we could possibly sell in the shop to our members. Head pros orders. Bummer!

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

I could still see a scenario where Ping moves the S series and the I series into one "morphed" series. They could then reduce the price of Anser line, to build volume, and the Anser line is almost a clone spec wise of the current I line.

If they morphed the S and I line, that would be a dynamite iron, IMHO.
[/quote]

As I posted previously, Ping is considering combining the s series and I series under the reborn banner of an IS series.

[quote name='MatrixcMan' timestamp='1369099746' post='7072854']

[/quote]

As I posted previously, Ping is considering combining the s series and I series under the reborn banner of an IS series.
[/quote]

I would be surprised. The S56 is essentially a tour iron. The tour staff
that play the S56 might not move to an IS iron. Mahan and Cabrera
played Ansers to start the year but moved back to the S56. I do think
RedJeep is likely right and thanks RedJeep for the comparison pics.
That is a smaller head that looks more like the S than the i side by side.

Ping's good at keeping a lid on things. We'll probably see the irons in
tour staff bags this summer. Some may be testing them now.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1369102138' post='7073142']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

S56 has to be their most decorated players club of all time. The guys on tour might not want PING to change a thing. If they actually went to an "IS" series my guess is that the S56 would continue to be a current offering.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

[quote name='Doc Mcstuffins' timestamp='1369110049' post='7073960']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1369102138' post='7073142']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

S56 has to be their most decorated players club of all time. The guys on tour might not want PING to change a thing. If they actually went to an "IS" series my guess is that the S56 would continue to be a current offering.
[/quote]

Indeed, the Anser series, while costing a truckload of money, already fills the "I/S" hole. It would be awesome for the low handicappers like me to see something more affordable in that arena, but the S series is their players model and it should stay that way. The S58 was a step back for them on tour for this exact reason, I think Ping is far too smart to make that same mistake twice.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1369085871' post='7071462']
[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1369063407' post='7068836']
Those are all good questions. The S line has always been a puzzling one. The original S59 came as close to a true blade as far as working the ball as any club they have produced (since the original machined golfcraft forgings). After an initial "interest splurge" people found they just couldn't play with them as they were very unforgiving and as a result the used club racks were full of them. But each successive release seemed to be pointed more at forgiveness while still maintaining some of the players club look. There is no doubt that the S56 had the most success of any recent ping club in terms of tour wins. Ironically many shops that I have dealt with around the country reported they sell very very few of the S models and in some cases these shops have sold more of the Anser irons (both original and present). I doubt the S55 will be forged as they already have that premium niche covered with the Ansers. Much more likely they will look similar to the Gorge Wedges (which has been the trend from previous years in which the wedge design preceded the new S iron).. I tend to agree with others that the pictures are likely to be the i25s not the S55s. The sole is way too wide to be a S56 replacement. The only contradicting factor is the shape tends to look more like the S irons than the i irons. What we can be sure of is Bubba won't be playing them unless they revert to a unforgiving highly workable design. But that won't stop the reps. from swearing up and down they will be in Bubba's bag like they have done previously with each new model..
[/quote]

those drawings are blown up a bit. The sole def isnt too big for the s line, the drawings are just up close. Without a doubt thats s55
[/quote]

I guess we will see in a couple of months. One thing for sure with the tungsten toe weight Bubba won't be playing them..

I think you are right Bob57. Seems like Bubba doesn't want the tungsten toe weight, doesn't allow him to work the ball. Are you back in the US yet ?

Ofcourse I will be buying a single iron for my collection. Not sure if it will push out the S56 irons I have in my bag right now. Love my set-up with C-Taper X flex shafts in them. Not sure how they can improve the S56 irons.

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1369164722' post='7078724']
[quote name='Redjeep83' timestamp='1369085871' post='7071462']
[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1369063407' post='7068836']
Those are all good questions. The S line has always been a puzzling one. The original S59 came as close to a true blade as far as working the ball as any club they have produced (since the original machined golfcraft forgings). After an initial "interest splurge" people found they just couldn't play with them as they were very unforgiving and as a result the used club racks were full of them. But each successive release seemed to be pointed more at forgiveness while still maintaining some of the players club look. There is no doubt that the S56 had the most success of any recent ping club in terms of tour wins. Ironically many shops that I have dealt with around the country reported they sell very very few of the S models and in some cases these shops have sold more of the Anser irons (both original and present). I doubt the S55 will be forged as they already have that premium niche covered with the Ansers. Much more likely they will look similar to the Gorge Wedges (which has been the trend from previous years in which the wedge design preceded the new S iron).. I tend to agree with others that the pictures are likely to be the i25s not the S55s. The sole is way too wide to be a S56 replacement. The only contradicting factor is the shape tends to look more like the S irons than the i irons. What we can be sure of is Bubba won't be playing them unless they revert to a unforgiving highly workable design. But that won't stop the reps. from swearing up and down they will be in Bubba's bag like they have done previously with each new model..
[/quote]

those drawings are blown up a bit. The sole def isnt too big for the s line, the drawings are just up close. Without a doubt thats s55
[/quote]

I guess we will see in a couple of months. One thing for sure with the tungsten toe weight Bubba won't be playing them..
[/quote]

yea, he plays the s59, right? A local shop had a full set in and I had a chance to hit the set. Thing I noticed, very blade profile with alot of offset for a blade style, more offset than s56 for sure. I actually hit them pretty good.

[size=4]Either one of the pictures (S55 or i25) looked great to me.[/size]

[size=4]I just hope they dont release them in the same color as the G25 irons...I really dont like the darker finish but that is just my opinion...[/size]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

[quote name='biglau' timestamp='1369407847' post='7098806']
I wonder if theres a chance of ping using a forged head for the s55...
[/quote]

[size=4]That would be awesome as I love my Anser forged irons... :good:[/size]

:smilie_ping:

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='veebs007x' timestamp='1336531608' post='4876956']
I know there are topics already started asking about, and discussing, an s55 iron being released this summer. Well i can tell you guys with 100% certainty that no new players iron is being released this summer by ping. I played yesterday with one of the engineers from ping and he said the s56 is selling too well still and guys like the performance so nothing is even in the makings to replace it. he said prolly a year before they make something new
[/quote]
Can't see why Ping would introduce an S55 when as Veebs states the 56's are selling well and they have the Anser and I20's in their product line.

Sounds like the upcoming sales meeting they will see the S55 which will be available this fall (in the usual time frame I guess). Everything else sounds like next spring. I guess pictures of them should start to be seen at the Open as they often are.. And of course as usual they will all swear Bubba will have these in his bag, which he won't.

The original S59s did have quite a bit of offset in them (and no ferrules), but like the next set they were willing to press some of the offset out of them for extra cost. Once they started chrome plating them that option was gone as the finish would crack. But by that time they had started to reduce the offset anyway so it wasn't as needed for those that preferred less offset.

Will be really hard to improve on the S56s as those (while not a huge retail seller) have easily been Pings most successful S series iron and lasted a long time in the line up..Lots of tour wins---probably most since the days of the eye2s.

the s56 being so good I might just get a cheap used set of them in 5-pw and keep my i15 4 iron. I actually like the finish too.

Titleist 913 d2 Oban Devotion 04
TEE XCG6 15* Speeder vc6.0 Stiff
Titleist 909f2 18.5, Mizuno Fli-Hi 21*
Titleist AP2 712 4-PW Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey TVD 54M & 60M S400
Scotty cameron TEi3 Newpot custom

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1372121032' post='7316940']
the s55's may be forged
[/quote]

Good luck selling those. Selling the Anser's seems to be hard enough. I know there is not one member at the club where I work that would purchase/and/or play a set of Anser irons. I want to, but I was coaxed by my head pro to go with the i20's, as they are more along the lines of something we could sell to members.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1372121101' post='7316946']
the s55's may be forged
[/quote]

Good luck selling those. Selling the Anser's seems to be hard enough. I know there is not one member at the club where I work that would purchase/and/or play a set of Anser irons. I want to, but I was coaxed by my head pro to go with the i20's, as they are more along the lines of something we could sell to members.
[/quote]

They would sell at $899, but not at $1499.

the s55's may be forged
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would play the ansers if they were not $1600 and were at the same price point or lower than the S series.

I have to say I've played nearly everything under the sun, old school, new school, lots of blades, lots of cavity backs...and I've never been a Ping fan (mainly Mizuno and Titleist). That being said, I think they S56's are the GREATEST irons EVER made. If Ping changes anything other than appearance, finish.... They are flat out crazy.

[quote name='Foreleft' timestamp='1372127928' post='7317862']
the s55's may be forged
[/quote]

[/quote]

They would sell at $899, but not at $1499.
[/quote]
forged clubs are not any more expensive than cast outside of the Ansers (look at Mizzy, titleist, calloway ect)......if ping offered the S55 in forged at a $899 price, I bet it would sell like hot cakes...