How good is the R1?

Birdies4Days

The Classic (this year and last year) is a fantastic driver. Saw several of last year's 290 models in play at the TPC. Glad you found a good combo with it.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

ย 

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We FINALLY had enough of a lull at the store this evening to take a few swings with the R1. OMG the shaft felt SO long I couldn't swing it. Maybe it's not but it sure felt LONG. When I was fitted at Ping HQ last fall they told me they've virtually never fit someone at the stock driver length. Even at 6'1" and short arms my driver may be 45" but probably a bit shorter. Picking the R1 up felt like I was swinging a freakin' cane pole!! Other drivers may be long too but it was a disaster. Flush my Ping Anser more times than not. My goal for tomorrow is to try the G25 driver.

[quote name='skyking' timestamp='1368843737' post='7057410']
We FINALLY had enough of a lull at the store this evening to take a few swings with the R1. OMG the shaft felt SO long I couldn't swing it. Maybe it's not but it sure felt LONG. When I was fitted at Ping HQ last fall they told me they've virtually never fit someone at the stock driver length. Even at 6'1" and short arms my driver may be 45" but probably a bit shorter. Picking the R1 up felt like I was swinging a freakin' cane pole!! Other drivers may be long too but it was a disaster. Flush my Ping Anser more times than not. My goal for tomorrow is to try the G25 driver.
[/quote]

Im 6-1 and both of my drivers are 44.5, and I feel I could even go a little shorter. Stock length drivers these days are just too long, imo...

Callaway Paradym Triple ๐Ÿ’Ž 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*- ย DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35โ€

Lot of bs in this thread ... get your boots on ... it is deep.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

ย 

• Ping G430ย Max 9/TPT 19Hiย Golf Shaft @45ย in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradymย 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro,ย Both with Nippon 105ย 
  • Putter: ย LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipRย in messy or no turf conditions

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Drivers are very personal. Had the Anser last year and loved it. Fell in love with the S2 Tour Rocketballz at a demo day but the honeymoon was short lived. Borrowed a demo R1 from club pro for a week. Have never hit anything this consistent. Other than the occasional pull, I'm hitting it dead down the middle. Might be a few yards shorter but its a perfect fit for me. Stiff shaft, 9.5U and neutral compass.

[quote name='fupresti' timestamp='1367877219' post='6981672']
[quote name='BBgolfer' timestamp='1367876424' post='6981604']
Definitely over-hyped.
[/quote]

For you maybe.
[/quote]

For everybody. The people that like it report things like "I'm happy so far" and not "OMG this driver outblasts everything by a huuuuge margin" which would be the standard response if it was EVER have any chance to match the hype.."I like it" and "It's good" does not match the hype

My buddy sent me one with a DI-6X to try and I just couldn't find a good set up. The head had a good feel and the look was good but I don't have time to tinker with different shafts to find "the one". My R9 V2 is a fairway finder and is long so it will stay.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75Xย 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1369017071' post='7066608']
Definitely over-hyped.
[/quote]

For you maybe.
[/quote]

For everybody. The people that like it report things like "I'm happy so far" and not "OMG this driver outblasts everything by a huuuuge margin" which would be the standard response if it was EVER have any chance to match the hype.."I like it" and "It's good" does not match the hype
[/quote]

Really? I would think the context of my response would be indicative of my happiness with the R1. Next time I will make sure my response is flooded with happy face emoticons and a haiku professing my love.

[/quote]

:deadhorse: Typical straw-man argument. "It doesn't live up to the hype for me so it doesn't for anyone else." Perceived hype never hit a golf ball. :fishing1:

Switched to the R1 this year. My driving distance average is up, my fairways hit % is up, the driver is costing me less strokes than it ever has, and therefore my handicap is trending down.

Sounds awful; seriously, who would want results like that? Pleny of others getting great results, too.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

ย 

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[sub]Didn't think I would find anything better than last year's Rocketballz Tour driver with HD6 shaft. One of the shops here had the R1TP with the Phenom 65 shaft on sale so I bought one to compare. After a few outside range sessions and a few rounds with it, it's kicked the Rocketballz driver out of the bag. I'm very accurate with it. Distance is similar. I get a nice boring trajectory with low spin, easy to hit in the wind. Played Erin Hills here in Wisconsin yesterday in 25-30mph wind and didn't have any problems with the ball ballooning. I really like the feel and the sound, for me, it's an improvement compared to the R11S. Again, this is all very subjective but the R1 is in the bag now and seems like it will be for the rest of the year.[/sub]

[quote name='fupresti' timestamp='1369017517' post='7066648']
Definitely over-hyped.
[/quote]

For you maybe.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? I would think the context of my response would be indicative of my happiness with the R1. Next time I will make sure my response is flooded with happy face emoticons and a haiku professing my love.
[/quote]

Yes thats exactly my point. The HYPE about the R1 was [i]incredible..[/i]You'd think they reinvented the wheel or something. I'm not even sure all the emoticons you could ever find would match the hype about the R1 before it came out. You reconfirm my point completely.

Once I got a Motore Speeder 6.3TS in it, and cut it down to 44-7/8" @ D3 swingweight, I am liking it. Your mileage may vary, but I get 2-3 more mph ballspeed with it than anything else I've tried recently, as well as good launch angle and spin numbers (for me).

Driver-Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus 70 6.0
3W- Titleist TSR2 15 Hzrdus 70 6.0
Hybrid-Ping G410 19* Xcaliber Pro 85 S
Irons- Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Combo, KBS TOUR 120 S
Wedges- VOKEY SM9 50,54,59
PUTTER- EVNROLL ER7

I'm still trying to determine if this is the right driver for me. I've owned the R9, R11 and Rocketballz drivers as my last 3 drivers (Taylormade/Adidas is my customer so hard to walk up swinging a Callaway at one of their functions)...got the R1 and decided to try hitting an x-stiff shaft after playing stiffs for most of my life (SS 112 mph)...tried the stock, kiyoshi purple and GDADI 7X....so far what I've determined is this thing weighs enough to be considered a baseball bat (most people that grab it ask me if I'm swinging a sledge hammer), I hit it the same distance as my previous drivers, I hit more fairways with it, but for the life of me I feel like I haven't flushed one since I got it 4 months ago. Not sure why, but results continue to be consistent so I continue to stay with it.

I recently hit the R1 at a demo day at my club and came away with some mixed feelings. I went there fully prepared to spend some money on a new driver but I came away a bit disappointed. The demo day was great, and I enjoyed every minute of it(I actually ended up ordering a new Stage 2 3 wood), but I just couldn't get dialed in with the R1 driver. I tried several different shafts in it and just couldn't get along with it. It wasn't anything wrong with the results, as it performed more or less how I expected, it was never much better than my current gamer. My biggest balk was with the feel. It may have been just a combination of the sound and not ever finding the right shaft. Overall I liked the total weight of the driver, but at address and during the take away the distribution of the weight felt odd.

For the right person this is definitely going to be a great driver, it just happened to not be for me.

I have been using the R1 for a month.
I am using an AD Blue Bullet 6x at 45.25" and with SW of D3.5...4g in the heel and 1g in the toe.
Very solid driver and easy to control the ball.

10/10

DRIVERS (TBD): ย PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,ย  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,ย  BLACK OPS STD 8*;ย ย Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s /ย Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:ย  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:ย  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;ย ย #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;ย ย #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;ย ย #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;ย ย #3 HYย 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX;ย #4 HYย 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite,ย 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXGย ย GEN6ย 0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW,ย LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311ย Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,ย  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold //ย STEWART GOLFย Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIEย SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='bph7' timestamp='1368802244' post='7053386']
As you can see from this thread, it's been a pretty mixed bag for the R1. Some love it and find it to be a low launch/low spin bomber, and some can't stand it for the feel, sound, graphics etc. My experience trying it has been pretty reflective of this general consensus, actually. It IS a pretty low launch/low spin club, BUT I also agree that I'm not a fan at all of the looks/feel/sound. For me, at least, the RFX, XHP, and RBZ Stage 2 all did better than the R1, but the 913 series, anser, and g25 did worse. It was about middle of the road. I see little reason not to at least also try an R11s if you are gonna think about the R1, though, because it is MUCH cheaper and I wasn't getting any discernable performance upgrade from the R1.
[/quote]Thats been the general consensus I've heard from my guys in retail, not that the driver is a dud just not superior to last years offering. Makes me want to hunt down a 10.5* R11s V2 and have Continental Golf paint that sucker matte black! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1