2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

Titleist 714 lineup (merged) Pics Added Page 11

The initial feed back on the AP2's was not great from a looks standpoint even though they performed well. Tour players are not the only clients as the AP2's were marketed to a wide range of players and when these first hit the market, players thought the looks were not as nice as the 710s....this is the one thing the fitter told me and he is a tour player....he also said most tour guys like the CB's the best

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Alex Micelli stated that the 714 will be making an appearance at Congressional next week, I have a feeling we'll get pics way before that. No player is going to tee off with a new set without a few days of practicing with them.

That means tour player are getting these irons seeded to them right now. Expect photos by Monday at the latest, I'd wager.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='04chase' timestamp='1371741635' post='7290150']
love my 712 mb's and cant imagine much better in looks and performance. i like the look of less of grooves as well compared to nike's. i thought the 712u would be a good stick but it has exceeded my expectations by far. i hope they have a dark finish in black or gun metal. i have been really wanting to try a set of miura tournament blades in black but havent found the set yet.

Impatiently waiting for pics to surface.
[/quote]

The black would be awesome. Would pick up a set immediately.

913 D2 10.5, 913 Fd 15, 913 H 19
2-4 712U, 5-6 714 CB, 7-PW 714 MB
Vokey 52 bent to 53 M, 60 M Black Ox
Putter: SC select newport
+30 Handicap
WITB Link

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1371779012' post='7294250']
If Alex Micelli stated that the 714 will be making an appearance at Congressional next week, I have a feeling we'll get pics way before that. No player is going to tee off with a new set without a few days of practicing with them.

That means tour player are getting these irons seeded to them right now. Expect photos by Monday at the latest, I'd wager.
[/quote]I believe Titleist will do the release the same way they did the 712 and 913 release. Lots of videos on the Monday, player reactions and some behind the scenes. Monday will be the absolute latest we see something.

Titleist 910D3, 9.5, Miyazaki Indigo 56x
Titleist 910F, 15, Diamana BB 83x
Titleist 712U, 2, DG X100
Titleist 710MB, 3-PW, DG X100
Vokey C-C, 54 & 58, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Circa 62

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1371779538' post='7294300']
I really believe the 712U is a precursor to the current AP2 model...you night see more of that technology in the new lineup...just a feeling for the most part
[/quote]
The problem is that more people are intimidated by a blade look than attracted by it, and the AP2, although great for low handicappers, is targeted at mid handicappers.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1371778891' post='7294232']
The initial feed back on the AP2's was not great from a looks standpoint even though they performed well. Tour players are not the only clients as the AP2's were marketed to a wide range of players and when these first hit the market, players thought the looks were not as nice as the 710s....this is the one thing the fitter told me and he is a tour player....he also said most tour guys like the CB's the best
[/quote]

We still talking about the 712's?

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1371787167' post='7295070']
I really believe the 712U is a precursor to the current AP2 model...you night see more of that technology in the new lineup...just a feeling for the most part
[/quote]
The problem is that more people are intimidated by a blade look than attracted by it, and the AP2, although great for low handicappers, is targeted at mid handicappers.
[/quote]

It's the complete opposite here on wrx. Great point though.

I mean, I like golf balls
but not that much.

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1371811572' post='7295866']
[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1371787167' post='7295070']
[/quote]
[/quote]

It's the complete opposite here on wrx. Great point though.
[/quote]

I am not actually talking about a "blade" look for the most part, That is taken care of in the MB"s. I meant from a technology standpoint with the type of forging they are doing with the 712U and the type of construction. Like I said, [u]its more of a feeling than anything[/u] but I do think the 712U technology is the gateway to changes in the AP2, CB and MB line.

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1371768697' post='7293400']
from what my fitter told me, he said the biggest changes will be in the ap1/ap2 category while the CB/MB's will barely change because the tour pros love them so much....the Ap2 is definitely changing because of the negative feedback on the clubs looks
[/quote]

I just find this hard to believe. Not saying I doubt that that is what he told you, but I just don't think he is speaking for a majority of Titleist staffers. If you look at the top Titleist staffers like Duffner, Simpson, Stricker (710 AP2's), Manassero, Zack Johnson, Scott Stallings, etc. they all play the 712 AP2's.

That being said, I hope they don't change to much with the AP2 line. Maybe just slightly slimmer sole with a grind similar to the MP64's and a finish similar to the 712 mb/cb's.

Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
Titleist TS3 15 w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist 915HD 20.5 w/ Aldila Tour Blue 95X
Titleist T100 4-P w/ TI X100
Vokey SM7 52.08, 56.10, 60.04 w/ TI S400
Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

[/quote]And that would be very smart! BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

[/quote]

Titleist sends the new clubs to the home of the players testing them and in the past has told all the players not to let any photos be taken while they practice with them at their home courses/ranges.

We will get photos of any new clubs when Titleist is ready. Team Titleist may tweet photos of partial views ahead of time just to get the buzz going!

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1371824983' post='7296954']

[/quote]

Titleist sends the new clubs to the home of the players testing them and in the past has told all the players not to let any photos be taken while they practice with them at their home courses/ranges.

We will get photos of any new clubs when Titleist is ready. Team Titleist may tweet photos of partial views ahead of time just to get the buzz going!

Greg
[/quote]

The buzz has already started!

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

[/quote]

Aren't the CB's the least played out of AP2, CB, MB???

PING G400 LST 10* Tensei Pro Orange
TI 16 Tmag M2 16.5 Tensei Pro White
Taylormade P790 3-PW KBS $-Taper
Vokey SM7 54, 60
Few CT's
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614765-noyes-witb-updated-8-4-13/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Noyes26' timestamp='1371834394' post='7298140']
[/quote]

Aren't the CB's the least played out of AP2, CB, MB???
[/quote]
I am not sure of the numbers. Im just relaying what I was told a month ago at my fiting. i guess the titleist web site would have the answer to that question though

I'm sure we could debate this till the end of eternity, but why do we care about this so much? I've played a split set of 712 CBs and MBs the last two summers. What could they possibly do to the CBs and MBs to improve upon them?

....that being said, I have my credit card out and am ready to pre-order. Please tell me where to sign!

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

[quote name='MaxPower328' timestamp='1371839886' post='7298746']
I'm sure we could debate this till the end of eternity, but why do we care about this so much? I've played a split set of 712 CBs and MBs the last two summers. What could they possibly do to the CBs and MBs to improve upon them?

....that being said, I have my credit card out and am ready to pre-order. Please tell me where to sign!
[/quote]
The CB's and MB's are great and feel good. The AP2's do not. They could certainly improve the feel and the turf interaction on the AP2's however!

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

Now is a good time to setup an appointment (for the next month and on) at TPI to get fitted. You might get a sneak peek at the 714s.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='Doc Mcstuffins' timestamp='1371867454' post='7300888']
My home course is right next to Congressional and the Tour Van's are parked on the back range. I should go knockin'! :taunt:
[/quote]

While you may (or maybe not) be joking, no one will be there until Sunday.

All the guys who drive the trucks get to fly home for a few days so don't expect anyone to answer your knock! ;-) Then there is the fact that they aren't going to show you any new equipment.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='sir shanks a lot' timestamp='1371819954' post='7296360']
[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1371768697' post='7293400']
from what my fitter told me, he said the biggest changes will be in the ap1/ap2 category while the CB/MB's will barely change because the tour pros love them so much....the Ap2 is definitely changing because of the negative feedback on the clubs looks
[/quote]

I just find this hard to believe. Not saying I doubt that that is what he told you, but I just don't think he is speaking for a majority of Titleist staffers. If you look at the top Titleist staffers like Duffner, Simpson, Stricker (710 AP2's), Manassero, Zack Johnson, Scott Stallings, etc. they all play the 712 AP2's.

That being said, I hope they don't change to much with the AP2 line. Maybe just slightly slimmer sole with a grind similar to the MP64's and a finish similar to the 712 mb/cb's.
[/quote]its their only forged cb with forgiveness so they have to....also they getting paid to play....I think its hideous......cb and mb are beautiful. ...ap2 definetly doesnt feel hood compared to others in class...very clicky.....ap2 needs a change....tour players make up less than 1% of ap2 being played....avg golfers are ones paying to play them....I too have heard tour players arent crazy bout looks

sole grind is horrid for cond I play...had em 2 days and took em back..definetly need to work on sole grind....tour guys prolly have theirs modified to personal taste....

I personally think the AP2's feel great. To be honest I can't recall a single iron made in the last decade that doesn't feel fantastic on a well struck shot. One of the comments echoed by a lot of the tour players on Titleist staff about the change from 710 to 712 AP2 was improved turf interaction. I pick the ball for the most part and I tend to agree but really had no problem with either set. Not sure about the looks complaining either unless you're talking about how they look in the bag versus a CB or MB iron that is much more classic. From address the AP2 and CB don't look too different and I actually prefer the AP2 because its more square toe looks better to my eye.

AP2 definitely out sell the MB and CB combined.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1371874593' post='7301510']
I personally think the AP2's feel great. To be honest I can't recall a single iron made in the last decade that doesn't feel fantastic on a well struck shot. One of the comments echoed by a lot of the tour players on Titleist staff about the change from 710 to 712 AP2 was improved turf interaction. I pick the ball for the most part and I tend to agree but really had no problem with either set. Not sure about the looks complaining either unless you're talking about how they look in the bag versus a CB or MB iron that is much more classic. From address the AP2 and CB don't look too different and I actually prefer the AP2 because its more square toe looks better to my eye.

AP2 definitely out sell the MB and CB combined.
[/quote]

I totally agree. I still have the 710 AP2's, and after trying the 712 versions, I actually hit my 710 AP2's a bit better, and I agree with you, that they still feel pretty good to me. Also, I agree on the turf interaction, but like you, I tend to 'pick' as my home Course is a Links Course where the need to play that way is paramount, so Turf interaction is not as important as it may be to a 'Digger'.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/archive/2013/06/21/first-look-tour-seeding-and-performance-validation-process-for-prototype-titleist-irons-714-series.aspx

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

TaylorMade Qi10 LS Copper 9° @ 8.25° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 4W 16.5° @ 15.75° & 6W 21° @ 20.25° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

TaylorMade P•UDI 4i 22° Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85S

Miura MB-001 Tournament Blade 5-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 125S

Miura Series 1957 Y-grind 51° K-grind 56° @ 55° C-grind 59° True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Titleist Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec 33" 350g Flat True Temper YSC SmoothPistol 2010 Hula Girl

Titleist Pro V1 Vessel Sunday Bag 2.0