Titleist 714 lineup (merged) Pics Added Page 11

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1366823175' post='6908687']
I personally would like to see the AP1 get a facelift... a little narrower sole, a little less offset through the whole set with the same midsized profile... and we will call them the AP1.5 ... how about that titleist?
[/quote]

Been thinking about your idea here, and I like it for a fifth line of irons. There is a big difference between the AP1's and AP2's. They should keep the AP1's about as is for folks who need that level of forgiveness - like me in the long irons.

However, a line of AP1.5's would be seriously nice to fill the gap for folks who think about making a combo set of AP1/AP2. And, they could use the AP1 4-iron and maybe 5-iron as part of that set.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1367201646' post='6934779']
[quote name='albatrosser' timestamp='1366925155' post='6917715']
[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1366919038' post='6917151']
Trust me I'm huge Titleist guy and I wish my experience was better, you guys must like hard/clicky feeling forged heads which is totally ok...BB
[/quote]

the 712's weren't any harder or more "clicky" than any other Titleist iron I've ever hit, and I've played pretty much ALL of them. My favorite still to this day was the 690.CB's.. didn't care much for anything past that time until the 712 series came out , and that includes a stint with all 3 generations of the AP2's none of which I've ever liked, ZB's, ZM's, etc.
[/quote]

I have to agree... I think anybody that feels any discernible difference between 712CB/MB and 710CB/MB had to have them setup with different specs. I've still yet to find ANY iron that feels "bad", "hard", or "clicky" when struck solidly... I don't care if its a Cleveland VAS or a Titleist 712MB. I hit a handful of balls with my 712MB 8 iron today and I cannot believe that anyone would describe them as hard. I also owned a set of all the 710 line save the AP1's and I thought they all felt fantastic too.
[/quote]

I don't know if this may play into the previous post but when I hit the 710 series I was using the 09 PV1x and hitting the 712 I was hitting the 11 PV1x. Softer feeling ball translated into me initially thinking the 712 felt softer but I agree with J Dub, 710/712 wasn't a change in softness.

I really like the appearance of the 712 irons all the way around. I think Titleist got a bit lost especially in the mid 2000s with the Z line. I hope that the new 714 lines with appear more like the 712s

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1367287872' post='6941341']
I hope titleist flattens the stock lie angles - they are way to upright!
[/quote]

Aint that the truth!!! I thought mine were going to break when I had them bent to the lie angle I needed. I typically play 2º flat, which is what I ordered. When I got them I just knew the toe was still too high for me, so I hit a lie angle board. I had to flatten them 3º more.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

I have had the 710 AP1's since they first came out......ordered them with DG S300. I would like to see a new AP2 and maybe go 8,9,PW and keep the others the AP1. I was reading somewhere that even tour players are now making combo sets with different OEM's....I still have my RAC LT2's in the garage.....might experiment a little.

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1367326485' post='6943093']
I personally would like to see the AP1 get a facelift... a little narrower sole, a little less offset through the whole set with the same midsized profile... and we will call them the AP1.5 ... how about that titleist?
[/quote]

Been thinking about your idea here, and I like it for a fifth line of irons. There is a big difference between the AP1's and AP2's. They should keep the AP1's about as is for folks who need that level of forgiveness - like me in the long irons.

However, a line of AP1.5's would be seriously nice to fill the gap for folks who think about making a combo set of AP1/AP2. And, they could use the AP1 4-iron and maybe 5-iron as part of that set.
[/quote]i have always been a fan of midsized clubs with reduced offset. So just a little more meat than the AP2's... closer to the AP1 line but with a bit less offset throughout the set... kinda like the old x14 pro series irons i used to love. I play the 913 d3 driver, 3 wood and 18 degree hd hybrid so the only thing keeping me from playing titleist irons is that big gap between the AP1's and the AP2's.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

I'd like to see a 2 iron in the AP2. I don't want them to do satin, because it will make me go out and want to buy them. I know that will be just an expensive aesthetics change for me.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

I know forged is probably to much to ask, but what do think the chances are the AP1 714 will have a cavity that looks similar to these...
maybe even the profile. It's very much like an AP1.5 that was mentioned above but I don't know how far Titleist would go away from the
demographic that the club works for now. I do like the solid flange all the way across though. Could that be the slight tweak?

[quote name='Big Ben' timestamp='1367693058' post='6970194']
Titleist stock lies are crazy upright...BB
[/quote]

Stock Titleist lie angles match TaylorMade MC/MB lie angles and are .5* more upright than RBZ. 1.5* more upright than Mizuno and 1* more upright than PING black dot. Nothing freaky. I consider Mizuno's to be flat.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1367893200' post='6983216']
[/quote]

Stock Titleist lie angles match TaylorMade MC/MB lie angles and are .5* more upright than RBZ. 1.5* more upright than Mizuno and 1* more upright than PING black dot. Nothing freaky. I consider Mizuno's to be flat.
[/quote]

titleist are 0.5 to 1 deg more up than taylor made players clubs.

In fact I dont thing there is another iron other than cobra with 62.5 deg stock 6 iron....

[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1367973391' post='6988686']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1367893200' post='6983216']
[/quote]

[/quote]

titleist are 0.5 to 1 deg more up than taylor made players clubs.

In fact I dont thing there is another iron other than cobra with 62.5 deg stock 6 iron....
[/quote]

.5 maybe. I don't think half a degree is that big of a deal.

Titleist plays perfect for me off the rack. They certainly fit taller people better, typically.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

As I recall, Titleist changed their lie angle standard by 2° between the 690MB/690CB and the 690•MB/690•CB.

The reason they gave was that their special order dept was inundated with orders for upright lie angles - apparently 2° being the most common.

Titleist lie angles are +1 to 1.5° to Mizuno, currently.

According to online figures (via Google) average male height in the US is 3" taller than Japan. I don't see any census data for swing plane.

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1367326485' post='6943093']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would love to see this come to fruition as this is exactly what I am planning on doing, AP2 6-aw and AP1 4&5 irons. The only problem with that is the AP1's have much stronger lofts so it would be great to see something closer to the lofts of the AP2's for an incredible mixed set.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

I had a fitting today at a regional center and ended up discussing the upcoming 714 line. There is no hardcore information but the pro who fit me mentioned a few changes coming for the titleist line. The AP2's will undergo a cosmetic change but the performance will remain as is for the most part. The CB/MB's may not change at all because the tour players told Titleist not to mess up what is already perfect. The AP1's may also undergo cosmetic changes as well as performance changes. This was all he said, so it should be interesting in a few months

So they are just going to rebadge everything??

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1368320511' post='7014628']
Titleist = The Anti-TaylorMade.

I agree with their model. Sometimes it's just time to play golf and quit re-inventing the iron.
[/quote]

I dunno. When you have a TWO YEAR release cycle like Titleist does, would it really kill you to mix it up a little bit with your releases? If this is true, then the AP2s, CBs/MBs will basically just have been rebadged since 2010. By the next update, in 2016, it will have been 6 years. That's a long time. I know this is what a lot of people like about Titleist, and that's fine I guess, but I just think the two year cycle takes care of the issues that TMAG has, and there are only so many lowish handicap people in the world who repeat the same old truism that "Titleist may not be the longest clubs, but they are the straightest" (which, by the way, I try everything, and I have NEVER noticed Titleist clubs being particularly "straight". They are actually more workable, just the opposite of straight in fact). I guess that they are fine with always capturing that segment of lower handicaps that just won't try anything else, and that's fine, but I was looking forward to something different, as the AP2's don't really do much for me compared to some of the other stuff, but I do love the looks of everything that Titleist makes so I absolutely would play their irons if they could give me some performance reason to do so (again, the AP2's are perfectly fine clubs, but compared to the J40 cbs, cmb's, x forged, wilson fg tour v2, and mp 64s, just don't really stand out in any way, except being the most expensive).

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1368320511' post='7014628']
Titleist = The Anti-TaylorMade.

I agree with their model. Sometimes it's just time to play golf and quit re-inventing the iron.
[/quote]I agree 100%, sutle tweaks are all that's needed...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Start with a great club and every 2 years try to make it better. Sounds like a good plan. Of course you have guys like me who play the A2 710 and will likely keep bagging them as for the little tweaks the new models have, there is no reason to change.

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1367770109' post='6974036']
I know forged is probably to much to ask, but what do think the chances are the AP1 714 will have a cavity that looks similar to these...
maybe even the profile. It's very much like an AP1.5 that was mentioned above but I don't know how far Titleist would go away from the
demographic that the club works for now. I do like the solid flange all the way across though. Could that be the slight tweak?
[/quote]

I would be all over this iron. I ditched my MX-300's this year for some I20's. At this point I'm having a little trouble adjusting to the I20's. I love the look of the AP2's buy feel like I need a little help.

[quote name='evanseze' timestamp='1368065078' post='6996314']

I would love to see this come to fruition as this is exactly what I am planning on doing, AP2 6-aw and AP1 4&5 irons. The only problem with that is the AP1's have much stronger lofts so it would be great to see something closer to the lofts of the AP2's for an incredible mixed set.
[/quote]

Just bend your AP1's to match the AP2's, they can be bent up to 2° per Titleist.

has anything really changed in iron "technology"??

I love the clean look of my CB's. I would possible switch to the AP2 if it didn't look so clunky. The looks of the cb's also swayed me.

The only reason I see the these x-hot and rocket bladz being long is that they're 2-3* stronger than traditional. Your 8 iron has the loft of a 7 iron, that's why it's 5 yds longer.

From what he said, the AP1 and AP2 will see significant changes in appearance and not so much in performance since they did a great job with the Ap2's. The tour guys control what titleist does with the CB/MB line and they love them the way they are....I mean you cant really change a forged blade all the much.....the cavity back, yes.....I think you will see a move towards the utility club model, but that's just my opinion....nothing the fitter said