2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Titleist 714 lineup (merged) Pics Added Page 11

[quote name='bigputts' timestamp='1370387565' post='7170336']
[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1370279812' post='7160772']
[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1370277518' post='7160482']
[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1370260097' post='7158632']
This whole "2 year cycle" thing drives me crazy.

Make something good, then sell it. When you have something BETTER, then sell it. If it takes you a month (shame on you) or five years, then so be it. Pushing crap out every (insert time-frame) just so you can stay "on cycle" is [barkley] turrible [/barkley].
[/quote]

I completely disagree. I'm not like most golfers- I buy too much equipment. For the market in general, players need to know when to expect new releases so they can arrange their budget to be ready. Every 2 years is just about perfect for a company like Titleist, that's chasing quality and not just the low end of the market.
[/quote]
But how is re-badging the AP2s every 2 years making any improvements? Give me something better or just keep the same product on the shelves.
[/quote]

Did you skip business classes in college?
[/quote]

Personally, I'd rather them rebadge the same irons every 2 years then rebadge the same irons every month. In order to stay in business they have to release new stuff at some point.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='gzink96' timestamp='1370739305' post='7197374']
Anyone who says that Titleist don't go as far its just because they stay true to traditional lofts and not make each club 4* stronger like taylormade, just fooling the consumer, not sure anyone could ever shake me from my 710 ap2s though but thinking the 714s might do it
[/quote]

Why? If your 710's are great now and better than the 712's they will likely be better than the 714's. This line will mostly be a horizontal shift, don't expect TM miracles.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I would like seeing another mb. Maybe a diamond back or double muscle. I have always liked titleist especially since they don't try to reinvent the wheel, but I have always gone with another company while they finished a close second in every category. I think if they made a great looking blade with a twist that would make me choose them.

[quote name='dtrain5555' timestamp='1370794296' post='7199796']
I would like seeing another mb. Maybe a diamond back or double muscle. I have always liked titleist especially since they don't try to reinvent the wheel, but I have always gone with another company while they finished a close second in every category. I think if they made a great looking blade with a twist that would make me choose them.
[/quote]
They tried a z muscle 7 years ago and that didn't go so well. Who's to say a differently shaped muscle would do better?

[quote name='johnnypro' timestamp='1370795254' post='7199844']
Any more news on AP1's possibly being forged this time around?
[/quote]
That's never going to happen. People who would play the AP1 don't want to pay for a forged club.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1370803483' post='7200362']
[/quote]
They tried a z muscle 7 years ago and that didn't go so well. Who's to say a differently shaped muscle would do better?

[/quote]
That's never going to happen. People who would play the AP1 don't want to pay for a forged club.
[/quote]

I don't think that's necessarily true. My Adams CB3s are forged and I don't think they are any more of a "player's" club than an AP1.

Anyone who is gonna be trading up their AP2 712's for some 714's and happen to have KBS tour X flex shafts in them give me a shouttttt when you do! :happy:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='trapp20' timestamp='1370816419' post='7201330']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1370812382' post='7200988']
Anyone who is gonna be trading up their AP2 712's for some 714's and happen to have KBS tour X flex shafts in them give me a shouttttt when you do! :happy:
[/quote]

You wouldn't kick those Nike's out of the bag, now would you?
[/quote]

Honestly I really do like the Split Cavs, I got them for DIRT cheap and they're solid. I had 710's that I liked but I traded my buddy for a set of i20's on a whim (stupid.) Ended up trading them in for 150% trade-in deal at the PGA Superstore and got the Nikes, my driver, and a Vokey wedge and still had $150+ left over.

All that said I love the 712's, just can't afford them right now

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

That is not true. I play the AP1 and would love to pay for a forged version.

[quote name='cassel191919' timestamp='1370817926' post='7201478']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

That is not true. I play the AP1 and would love to pay for a forged version.
[/quote]

I play AP1, and would also move into a forged version, or particularly, a new line positioned between the AP1 and the AP2 - sort of an AP1.5 - to compete against the JPX 825 Pro.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I think I mentioned it earlier, but the pro during my regional fitting said there will be no major changes in the CB/MB line. Tour pros love what is there so any change should be minimal. The radical changes will be seen in the Ap1 and AP2 line....and thinking is the AP2's will see the biggest redesign....maybe we see the 712U technology on the AP2's....

[quote name='etrichards' timestamp='1369927770' post='7135252']
[quote name='eyewipe' timestamp='1369238012' post='7085344']
Do you play a combo set and find they work - if so you're the first person I've heard of who finds them any use. On paper they blend but in reality they play quite differently and most non mb folks have gone ap2 rather than cb.
[/quote]

Definitely agree with this as well. Although I didnt purchase either set, I was considering a combo set b/c I love the MB's but didn't trust myself with the long irons. Was shocked at how forgiving the MB's were, but I could not get along with the CB's for the life of me. Multiple times, off grass, off a mat. REALLY wanted to like those. Debated an AP2/MB combo, but the looks were too different for my taste.

For me, the 712CB is the least forgiving CB I've ever hit, while the MB's are among the easiest blades to hit. (Not sure if easiest is the right word...they look/feel just right, and I was much more consistant with these than the others I tried. ).
[/quote]

Exact same story my way, wanted a combo set. Swing coach said the CB's were the least forgiving CB's ever and the MB's were most forgiving blades he's ever seen. Thought about an AP2/MB combo for the 3-4 irons but they just came rocketing off the face way too much. No use playing irons with a 20 yard gap in irons. Best decision I've ever made was going to a full MB set, game is the best it's been in years. That being said, looking forward to upgrading the 712's to 714's next season!!!

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* Tour ADDI 6X
Titleist 915 F 15* Tour ADBB 7X
Titleist 712U 2i Projext X PXI 6.5
Titleist 716 CB KBS C-Taper S+
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-56-60
Taylormade OS CB 36"

[quote name='jwrogers' timestamp='1370277518' post='7160482']

Make something good, then sell it. When you have something BETTER, then sell it. If it takes you a month (shame on you) or five years, then so be it. Pushing crap out every (insert time-frame) just so you can stay "on cycle" is [barkley] turrible [/barkley].
[/quote]

I completely disagree. I'm not like most golfers- I buy too much equipment. For the market in general, players need to know when to expect new releases so they can arrange their budget to be ready. Every 2 years is just about perfect for a company like Titleist, that's chasing quality and not just the low end of the market.
[/quote]

That's what makes Titleist well, Titleist. We have an entire thread dedicated to irons we know will be released soon and all us Titleist players are prepping for them to come out and seeing when we can fit them into our bags. Nike does the same thing & think they are building a solid platform like Titleist has. I don't see any Taylormade fans or Callaway fans etc pumping up a new club coming out. Why? Because nobody has a clue when it's going to happen. This is what makes Titleist great & the true players company. Players can play the equipment, haters can't. End of story.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* Tour ADDI 6X
Titleist 915 F 15* Tour ADBB 7X
Titleist 712U 2i Projext X PXI 6.5
Titleist 716 CB KBS C-Taper S+
Titleist Vokey SM6 52-56-60
Taylormade OS CB 36"

Love the two year cycle... Gives the company time to do a ton of testing, feedback, design, etc.... No rush or pressure, just take your time and do it right. Also as consumers we know that they put effort and time into something and tried their best to release the best product possible rather than simply trying to release something new and gimmicky.

Whatever they have been doing they need to keep doing the same thing because they have been hitting the cover off the ball ever since the 909 release. 710, money, 910 money, SM4 money, 712 money, M, money, 913 money, 712u money, K, money.... Do what you do Titleist!!!

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1371010544' post='7219946']
Love the two year cycle... Gives the company time to do a ton of testing, feedback, design, etc.... No rush or pressure, just take your time and do it right. Also as consumers we know that they put effort and time into something and tried their best to release the best product possible rather than simply trying to release something new and gimmicky.

Whatever they have been doing they need to keep doing the same thing because they have been hitting the cover off the ball ever since the 909 release. 710, money, 910 money, SM4 money, 712 money, M, money, 913 money, 712u money, K, money.... Do what you do Titleist!!!
[/quote]

Scratch, you should be a Titleist Ambassador.

+1 for the 712u. Its a very solid club. Will be placing an order later today.

Always Changing!!!

[quote name='GeeGees12' timestamp='1370974752' post='7215254']
That's what makes Titleist well, Titleist. We have an entire thread dedicated to irons we know will be released soon and all us Titleist players are prepping for them to come out and seeing when we can fit them into our bags. Nike does the same thing & think they are building a solid platform like Titleist has. I don't see any Taylormade fans or Callaway fans etc pumping up a new club coming out. Why? Because nobody has a clue when it's going to happen. This is what makes Titleist great & the true players company. Players can play the equipment, haters can't. End of story.
[/quote]

Maybe it's because TM and Callaway had their releases earlier this year? You haven't been paying much attention then. I don't know how anyone could miss their presence late last year and earlier this year. #CallaWRX?

And only players play Titleist and if you don't you're a hater?

[/quote]

You might not feel that way if you worked for Titleist and 712 sales dropped to where they couldn't afford to pay you.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1371069554' post='7224956']

[/quote]

You might not feel that way if you worked for Titleist and 712 sales dropped to where they couldn't afford to pay you.
[/quote]

do you work for titleist? are you saying iron sales are in the toilet?

[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1371084557' post='7226678']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't say sales are in the toilet, but it shouldn't be a surprise that sales -- or maybe profits -- are highest in their first year and tend to decline after that. You can cut the price to bring volumes back up or reduce inventory, but as time goes on clubs almost always lose their buzz factor.

The reality of the industry today is that no one is on less than a two year cycle, or they are seen as having old tech.

I love Titleist equipment, but until they make a better set of irons than the Cobra S3 Pros or the AMP Cell Pros, Cobra irons will stay in my bag with the rest being Titleist. Although nothing is knocking the Bettinardi out of my bag!

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1371089499' post='7227404']
[quote name='tsecor' timestamp='1371084557' post='7226678']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't say sales are in the toilet, but it shouldn't be a surprise that sales -- or maybe profits -- are highest in their first year and tend to decline after that. You can cut the price to bring volumes back up or reduce inventory, but as time goes on clubs almost always lose their buzz factor.

The reality of the industry today is that no one is on less than a two year cycle, or they are seen as having old tech.
[/quote]

Titleist cycle between releasing irons one year and woods the next therefore they won't really have a major drop in revenue or profits. I very much doubt they'd ever get to the point where they can't aford to pay "you" or the their other employees.

As for Titleists tech......it's solid, I don't really think anything ground breaking has occured RE irons from any other manufactureres in the last few years. 2 years isn't really that long to be honest. And when they do release a new line it's exactly that, a new line, not just one new model.

But what I'm looking for from the 714's:
a different finish would be good - black oxide/gunmetal
would quite like a real combo set, similar to my 735's I play with now....I don't see this happening though as we're able to order custom set ups now.

I'll probably end up going for AP2's if they're nice and slim or MB's.

I would like a 3-pw set as standard as oppposed to the 5-pw that's becoming the norm now. I understand people want versatility but this should be reflected in the price!

Chris

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff