Streamsong Golf Resort: In depth review (and plenty of pictures)

italianstallion

There’s been been alot of talk golf magazines and on this site about the opening of the Streamsong Resort in Florida. Living in Tampa I’ve been itching to see what all the hype has been about. Starting in May, Streamsong reduced its rates from $175 to $135 and began letting Florida residents out for $75. At that price, I had to check the Resort out.

Streamsong Golf Resort is located in Bowling Green, FL, which is an hour from Tampa and an hour and a half from the Orlando attractions. The resort is home to two courses, the Blue designed by Tom Doak and the Red designed by Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw. The courses sit on a plot of land that was once a phosphate strip mine back in the middle of the 20th century, so while the massive dunes around the course were not naturally created, they were there long before any course developer set foot on the property.

When I first arrived, I wondered if I had the right place. I crossed a railroad track, saw a road sign that said “Streamsong” and only remembered to turn when I saw a small iron sign at the beginning of a drive. No fountains or palm trees here: just the sign amongst the natural bushes and weeds of Florida.

The only clue that you’ve arrived…

IMG_2174_zpsf076b2ac.jpg

After driving on a road for a half-mile of seeing nothing, the large hotel under construction came into view. Another mile up the road I was greeted by two massive sand dunes and a parking lot. I still hadn’t seen a single golf hole or a clubhouse but I parked my car and was greeted by an employee who shuttled me to the clubhouse. The clubhouse is minimalist in style, and really isn’t much to look at from the front. However from the back the clubhouse is absolutely striking, and is perfect contrast for the classic designs of the courses. Inside the clubhouse you’ll find a well stocked pro-shop, sitting areas, a large bar area, locker rooms, and a beautiful dining area. Modern art, clean lines, and wood panels complete the décor.

The clubhouse

StreamsongClubhouse_zps13e1e373.jpg

DSC02024_zps7737cb9c.jpg

IMG_2170_zps46f543d2.jpg

IMG_2166_zps1e7ee891.jpg

The hotel (still under construction, expected to open January 2014)

IMG_2211_zps997f475d.jpg

Practice Areas

Streamsong has a full driving range with NXT Tour balls and a massive pitching/chipping area which I suggest you practice a fair amount of bump and run shots on to get an idea of how the ball will react on the ground that day. A large putting green directly behind the clubhouse lets you groove your stroke before taking on either course.

Conditioning

Both courses opened at the tail end of 2012, so both courses are in their infancy all things considered. There is no rough on the course but this is no one-cut-cow pasture. All areas through the green are mowed to fairway length. Given the condition of the fairways and greens, one would never presume that this course only started growing grass last year. The fairways and tee boxes are fully mature and no patchy areas of grass exist on the course. The greens, like the fairways, are Bermuda and you must take into consideration the grain before you hit your putts. But you’ll find that putts roll true regardless of which way the grain is going.

“Kept” sandy areas on the course are considered hazards, while the rest of the sandy areas are considered waste areas (although the line between kept and unkept areas can be a bit blurry). Lies in the maintained bunkers are generally good, and the sand is very even and uniform. However, the sandy areas that line just about every hole on both courses can produce a wide variety of lies. For the most part, the sand is natural Florida sand so its very lose and soft. For me the softer sand proved to provide a significant challenge for those 100-200+ yard shots that I occasionally found myself needing to hit. There are some areas with more compact sand/ground on the course, but consider yourself lucky if you find them. All waste areas have a mix of natural grasses/weeds, but you’ll typically always be able to get the club on the ball. Beyond the sandy waste areas lies thick vegetation that varies from ankle deep to chest high. The pro-shop advised entering these areas could bring you face to face with rattlesnakes, so I never dared even getting close.

Overall, the superintendent’s objective here is to create the look and feel of a links course, and I believe the conditioning of the fairways and greens paired with the waste areas pull that look off quite well. Nothing is exceptionally green here, which suits the designs of both courses.

Streamsong Blue Highlights

Right off the bat the Blue course will have you saying “wow.” The tees on the first hole are perched 50 feet above the fairway and offer a fantastic view of the entire Streamsong property. While the hole is only a mere 338 yards it provides a variety of options off the tee. Players can elect to layup short of the waste areas that pinch the fairway at 205 yards from the tee, or hit into the landing area beyond the waste bunkers. Note that by hitting beyond the waste bunkers, the player could be left with a tricky wedge shot to an elevated green protected in front by a sand dune.

The par four fourth on the Blue course is, in my opinion, one of the most striking holes on the property. Cavernous bunkers guard the elevated green both left and right, and going long could leave a tricky up and down on a green severely sloped from back to front. A fun driving hole.

The par three fifth is an interesting one shotter that has no water but will certainly have the player considering their options off the tee. The green is long and narrow, which means that on any given day the hole could play from 140 to 190 yards. A hazard guards the left side of the green. If the pin is in the back, take my advice and opt for the collection area on the right side of the green and two putt for par.

The sixth hole is a short par four of 345 yards that plays entirely downhill. With a favorable wind or no wind, the longer hitter can easily reach this green in one. Definitely an exciting hole to play.

The par 3 seventh hole is/will become the most popular hole on the property, and for good reason. The hole plays 203 yards downhill over water to a large multi-tiered green located amongst some of the tallest dunes on the course. A good one shot hole, it will have the player thinking not only about all the trouble that surrounds the green, but also what club they need to hit when factoring the wind and elevation change.

The par four 8th is very similar to the 4th, but plays slightly longer and features a water hazard short of the elevated green. Although the number two handicap hole, I actually believe this is the hardest hole on the Blue course given its length, elevation changes, and hazards that surround the green.

The 408-yard par four 12th hole provides a variety of options off the tee, but the narrow landing area and the length of the hole certainly favors a fairway wood or hybrid. Hitting either will leave a full short-iron into a green guarded by a water hazard short of the green and bunkers left and right.

Another good example of a short yet difficult par four, the 13th hole will have you thinking about what club to use off the tee. At 312 yards, the hole is short on paper, but plays uphill to a green guarded by bunkers right and a massive 20-foot deep bunker left. The water hazard that runs down the entire left side of the hole gradually pinches the fairway all the way up to the green. The best play on this hole is to take a long iron, play to largest part of the fairway, and hit a full wedge into the green. Finding the massive bunker left of the hole will mean bogey or worse for even the best bunker players. It’s a good risk-reward hole, but players will make far more birdies here laying up than they will trying to go for it.

The 14th hole is a challenging uphill par five of 545 yards. The tee shot plays over water, and the player needs to consider how much of the water and the bunkers they can reasonably carry to find the fairway. There’s an option to play it safe off the tee but doing so will bring a bunker on the left side of the fairway into play while also taking away the option of going for the green in two. The layup on this hole is one of the most difficult layup shots I can remember on a par five anywhere, with a meandering fairway that is pinched in multiple spots by a waste area on the left side of the hole, and woods on the right side.

The finishing three holes on the Blue course are some of the most challenging I’ve played. While not as difficult or leg shaking as the closing three at TPC Sawgrass, nothing is a guarantee on these three holes. The 16th hole is a 237-yard par three that plays uphill. The hole favors a cut, and the landing area left of the green is sloped towards the green, so players intimidated by playing directly at the green can play a little more conservative and use the ground to find the putting surface. The 590-yard par 5 17th is the longest hole on the course. The drive plays downhill, and players must negotiate massive cross-bunkers on their layup to have a reasonable yardage in for their third shots. Birdies are likely, but so are bogies. Finally the 18th hole is a fantastic finisher. The 478-yard par four starts with a blind drive up over a ridge. With a good drive over the hill players will find their balls rolling an extra 20 – 30 yards downhill to a level portion of the fairway, leaving anywhere from 140 to 170 yards in to a green guarded by all sorts of bunkers and back dropped by the clubhouse and massive dunes. Definitely a fitting finish for the Blue course, and a hole that I guarantee will make you smile, no matter where your round stands.

Blue Course Overall

Streamsong Blue is as visually interesting as it is strategically challenging. There isn’t a dull moment on any of the Blue’s 18 holes. Most of the long holes feature generous fairways with challenging approach shots, while shorter holes provide landing areas that beg for a layup off the tee but also invite you to challenge their length with the driver. The drastic elevation changes will make you feel like you are anywhere but Florida. While the course is touted as a links style course, many holes require aerial approaches. But when you have the option to use the ground the course conditioning does permit such a play. I will say that other than some greenside bunker shots, I never once used my 58* wedge on any pitch or chip shot the entire round. My only complaint is that there are no “dew walks” or paths between the tees and the fairway, which means you’ll find yourself walking through fluffy sand if you don’t walk on the cart paths.

Streamsong Red Highlights

Like the Blue, the Red course starts with another “wow” hole, although the starting hole on the Red course is significantly longer and more challenging. At 474 yards, the par four first hole plays downhill off the tee then uphill to an elevated green. The landing area off the tee is guarded to the right by water (which is not visible from the tee) and bunkers, while long native grasses and waste areas guard the left side of the fairway. A very difficult driving hole, the first not only requires an accurate drive, but a long one as well to have a reasonable yardage left for the second. The green is located in a swale between two sand dunes and is relatively flat. Definitely one of the more challenging openers you will find anywhere.

The third hole on the Red course is a shorter par four at 404 yards, however the hole plays a bit longer than what it says on the card. I hit a hybrid on this hole, thinking that I would leave myself 150-160 yards in. After what I thought was a perfect shot, I saw my ball roll back away from the hole about 20 yards, leaving me with a 190 yards left to the green. Coore and Crenshaw’s severe fairway undulations at 240-250 yards off the tee will actually send a ball away from the hole, leaving the player with longer approach shot than anticipated. Therefore, as short and tight as the hole may be, the player needs to consider if they want to play safe and aim for the largest part of the fairway and leave a long (and blind) approach shot to the green, or if they’re confident enough to pull driver and get the ball down to the narrower part of the fairway to set up a potential birdie opportunity. Another bunker fronts this green 20 yards out, so players wishing to run the ball along the ground will have to play their shot up the left side of the hole and let the ball funnel down the slope onto the green. This hole is sneaky difficult.

The par three sixth hole is perfectly placed amongst sand dunes on three sides. The green is nearly 55 yards deep, which can make the hole play shorter or longer than the 185 yards listed on the scorecard.

While slightly less demanding off the tee compared to previous holes, the 527 yard par 5 fifth still demands a solid tee shot that avoids the hazard left to have a chance at the green in two. Note that the sand dune to the right of the green is smaller than it appears from the fairway. Players intimidated by the second shot to the green can play right and long of this sand dune and leave themselves a good look at a pitch shot for birdie should the pin be located in the back portion of the green.

Players can take advantage of the short par-3 8th hole and the drivable par 4 ninth hole. Its important to get a little risky on holes 7 through 9, as holes 10 through 12 are the toughest stretch of holes on the course. The 486-yard par four 10th hole plays entirely uphill to a green that will accept shots on both the ground and the air. The dogleg left par 4 11th plays 434 yards uphill, but bunkers in the center of the fairway demand an accurate tee shot. The green resembles an upside-down bowl so shots on the ends of the green will roll off into collection areas. The twelfth hole, a 500-yard par four, plays slightly downhill, but a hazard guards the entire left side of the hole, and the green is tucked up against a water hazard on the right.

The 535-yard par 5 thirteenth hole is a great birdie chance for those who avoid the fairway bunker in the center of the fairway. The green is hidden entirely from view by a sand dune, so players can elect to shoot over this dune or play right of it for a good pitch-shot en route to a birdie.

The Red course finishes strong, and it starts with the 15th hole. At 474 yards, the hole is the number one handicap hole on the course. Players who elect to hit driver on this hole must challenge the fairway bunker on the left side of the fairway to avoid driving through the fairway into the bunker on the right side of the hole. Players who find either bunker will be forced to layup. Those who find the fairway will have an uphill approach to a green severely sloped from back to front.

While the 7th hole on the Blue course might get all the pictures, the 16th on the Red course is a very similar hole, but longer. The hole is listed at 208 yards, but can play anywhere from 175 yards to 220 yards. A large valley sits between the front and back tiers of the green, which can leave players with difficult putts to the daily hole locations.

Seventeen is a short par four that is best played by laying-up off the tee with a hybrid or fairway wood. Eighteen is another birdie opportunity with a good drive, with the green appropriately nestled between some of the larger sand dunes on the course.

Red Course Overall

The Red course is a harder golf course than the Blue. The onslaught of long and tight par fours will test your physical and mental game. There are scoring opportunities on the Red, but you have to keep the ball in play to take advantage of them. Like the Blue, the Red course features dramatic elevation changes you won’t find anywhere else in Florida. Additionally, players may find the Red course provides more options to run the ball up onto the greens than the Blue course, which opens up more options whether you’re in the fairway or you’re in trouble. Like the Blue course, my only complaint is that dew walks or paths need to be added between the tees and the greens for walkers.

Verdict

The Blue is certainly the more playable course of the two. It offers generous fairways and holes that generally offer a variety of ways to make par. The massive bunkers will provide a challenge should players find the countless traps on the course. The Red course on the other hand is without a doubt the more demanding layout of the two. It has its scenic and tight driving holes, and its par threes can provide countless pin locations. There are plenty of holes that require finesse on the Red, but not the extent found on the Blue course. Many holes on the Red require brute force and accuracy, and anything less will be penalized. So what’s the verdict, which course is better and which one must you play? I hit the ball better on Red, and when I finished my round on the 18th I felt like I had really accomplished something. I played a few strokes worse on Blue, but I still found the course to be very fun and rewarding. Based on my experience at Streamsong and after speaking to staff, the Blue course will be the more popular of the two because of its playability and dramatic vistas, but the Red will be rated higher in golf magazines. While I personally enjoyed the Blue course more than the Red, I need to split hairs to come to that conclusion. To answer the question, you will be doing yourself a great disservice if you don’t play both courses Streamsong to offer.

Blue Pictures

1st Hole – 338 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue1_zps293f14f8.jpg

A look from the first fairway towards the green

StreamsongBlue1a_zps618f2e03.jpg

2nd Hole – 554 yards, par 5: the fairway hole doglegs right

StreamsongBlue2_zps6decc4b5.jpg

3rd Hole – 418 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue3_zpsabffbf76.jpg

4th Hole – 442 yard, par 4

StreamsongBlue4_zpse2c65f73.jpg

A look up the hill to the 4th green

StreamsongBlue4a_zps2c2a96a1.jpg

5th hole – 157 yards, par 3

StreamsongBlue5_zps3425814c.jpg

6th hole – 345 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue6_zps8d3acd65.jpg

7th hole – 203 yards, par 3

From the tee:

StreamsongBlue7_zpsd546a1c5.jpg

On the way across the bridge

StreamsongBlue7a_zps092058c4.jpg

8th hole – 454 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue8_zpsc1524ce7.jpg

A look up at the 8th green.

StreamsongBlue8a_zpscc2a5813.jpg

9th hole – 575 yards, par 5

StreamsongBlue9_zps63ca5235.jpg

The approach to 9

StreamsongBlue9a_zps5a5858e2.jpg

10th hole – 187 yards, par 3

StreamsongBlue10_zpsa4acc32f.jpg

11th hole – 487 yards, par 4. Here’s a little shot of what caddies refer to as the hardest green on the course:

StreamsongBlue11_zps1f95b45e.jpg

12th hole – 408 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue12_zpsbab7ed0f.jpg

From the 12th fairway

StreamsongBlue12a_zps5bb14be9.jpg

13th hole – 312 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue13_zpsdb85261f.jpg

From the fairway:

StreamsongBlue13a_zps4a67fc04.jpg

A look at the massive bunker guarding the left side of the 13th green

StreamsongBlue13bunker_zpsa9ac52b7.jpg

14th hole – 545 yards, par 5

StreamsongBlue14_zpsc672ad75.jpg

StreamsongBlue14A_zpsc59e915c.jpg

StreamsongBlue14b_zps2e4695ae.jpg

15th hole – 446 yard, par 4

StreamsongBlue15_zpsc2339b53.jpg

StreamsongBlue15a_zps9e7ef9cc.jpg

16th hole – 237 yards, par 3

StreamsongBlue16_zpsd25adfe6.jpg

17th hole – 590 yards, par 5

StreamsongBlue17_zps9327b3cc.jpg

A view of the obstacles facing you on your second:

StreamsongBlue17a_zpsd6bb7be8.jpg

18th hole – 478 yards, par 4

StreamsongBlue18tee_zps4c519cfa.jpg

StreamsongBlue18Hill_zps69bd107e.jpg

StreamsongBlue18Approach_zps8dffad9c.jpg

Red Pictures

1st Hole – 474 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed1_zps2affeb8a.jpg

A look from the fairway

StreamsongRed1a_zpsaa059006.jpg

2nd Hole – 555 yards, par 5

StreamsongRed2_zps591232a2.jpg

StreamsongRed2closer_zps2fafc0c4.jpg

3rd Hole – 404 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed3tee_zps309189d3.jpg

Streamsong3approach_zpsdac78886.jpg

4th Hole – 330 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed4tee_zps1fa5a719.jpg

StreamsongRed4Approach_zps8d728b9e.jpg

5th Hole – 453 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed5_zps49378ba8.jpg

StreamsongRed5landing_zpscebaad7a.jpg

6th Hole – 185 yards, par 3

StreamsongRed6tee_zps0c0f6127.jpg

7th Hole – 527 yards, par 5

StreamsongRed7tee_zps0761fac3.jpg

StreamsongRed7landing_zps0247003b.jpg

8th Hole – 147 yards, par 3

StreamsongRed8righttee_zps828dc4c4.jpg

9th Hole – 312 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed9_zps64adf967.jpg

10th Hole – 486 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed10landing_zps9c6c872e.jpg

11th Hole – 434 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed11tee_zps761d0654.jpg

12th Hole – 500 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed12tee_zps5d79e59f.jpg

StreamsongRed12approach_zpsc19486f9.jpg

13th Hole – 535 yards, par 5

StreamsongRed13tee_zps3e78b502.jpg

14th Hole – 181 yards, par 3

StreamsongRed14_zpse26d9f78.jpg

StreamsongRed14grasses_zpsb65c59af.jpg

15th Hole – 474 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed15tee_zpse4b6d60d.jpg

A look up towards the green, which cannot be seen from down here. Note the massive fairway bunker on the left

StreamsongRed15uphill_zps8e920b8a.jpg

A look up at the green

StreamsongRed15approach_zpsb6e738ab.jpg

16th Hole – 208 yards, par 3

StreamsongRed16_zps1ea14e94.jpg

Red 16 (left) and Blue 7 (right)

StreamsongRed16Blue7_zpsffbf592c.jpg

17th Hole – 403 yards, par 4

StreamsongRed17_zpsea23e3ef.jpg

18th Hole – 540 yards, par 5

StreamsongRed18tee_zps52dabdf1.jpg

StreamsongRed18landing_zps04a4e8bc.jpg

StreamsongRed18approach_zpsb7b36ad3.jpg

Scorecards

IMG_2377_zps746e8bff.jpg

IMG_2380_zps7dc60a4f.jpg

150 yard par 3 for settling bets

Bettinghole_zpsc60453e5.jpg

A look at your surroundings at any given point on either the Blue or the Red

RandomView_zps0d60f6f6.jpg

[quote name='Napkin2011' timestamp='1369105007' post='7073496']
Wow. Thanks for posting all this. I'm heading down to play this summer. You got me pumped for the courses now. Great shots (and great scores)
[/quote]

Thanks. I had seen someone else's review on this site and knew I had to check the place out for myself. I was looking for an answer as to which course I had to play if I could only play one, because I didn't want to make the hour trip more than once. But I ended up ponying up and playing 36 in one day (second 18 was discounted $10) and I'm glad I did. I've already decided these courses are worth the drive and price if I'm looking to really enjoy a day out playing golf

Many thanks for a comprehensive and well written review. Thanks for the captions on the photos too. Including the scorecards also a nice touch. Congrats to you: only one 3 putt in 36 holes of golf. The seventh hole (par 3) on the Blue plays 176 yards from the silver tee. Any idea what the carry has to be from that tee? Question for you: do you think Doak intentionally designed the Blue to be playable?

[quote name='parpar41' timestamp='1369177882' post='7080224']
Many thanks for a comprehensive and well written review. Thanks for the captions on the photos too. Including the scorecards also a nice touch. Congrats to you: only one 3 putt in 36 holes of golf. The seventh hole (par 3) on the Blue plays 176 yards from the silver tee. Any idea what the carry has to be from that tee? Question for you: do you think Doak intentionally designed the Blue to be playable?
[/quote]

Carrying the water from the silver tee is in the 135 yard range. As for the comment on playability, gotta remember that the Blue course is still rated at 74.1 with a slope of 131. There are some tough tough holes on the Blue, but overall not as tough as the Red. But yes, I think he designed it keeping golfers of all abilities in mind, and with four sets of tee boxes, golfers of all abilities should be able to enjoy their round on the Blue course.

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1369179457' post='7080424']
Birdied the first on the Red? That's impressive if you played the tips. I boomed a drive there (about 280) and still had a solid 250 into the green.
[/quote]

I was playing by myself and the starter decided he was going to come over and watch me tee it up. Started telling me about all the trouble out there ("there's water right which you can't see from the teebox") and gave me the whole "oh you're playing the tips?" bit. I didn't mind it at all and he was really funny, but I didn't want to look like a bozo and hit a bad shot and it sure didn't help there was a decent wind coming at me. Probably hit the best drive of the day on that hole, nice low draw that just cut right through the wind. I had 191 in, took a 4 iron and slung a low hook in there about 20 feet above the hole and made the putt. No better feeling than stringing together shots like that. Granted it was my 19th hole of the day, but I've gotta say thats one of the most brutal starting holes I have ever played.

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1369310121' post='7090818']
Wow...191 in? On a close to 500 yard par 4 opener, that is over a 300 yard drive up hill. You must absolutely kill it. We had a hard wind into our face the day we played it and I hit it about 280-290 normally and still had 250 yards left. That's impressive. Thanks for the pics and bringing back some memories!
[/quote]

I wish it was over 300! 474 yard hole, tee shot plays downhill, approach plays uphill. By my math, having 191 in puts the drive in the 280 range.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an FYI: Streamsong is running a special where you buy a $200 gift card, and they give you a voucher for a round of golf on either course on any day at any time. Gift card can be used on greens fees, pro shop, or restaurant

And I've now played both courses a few more times, and here's some additional observations.

The Red course has stronger and more interesting par threes. The Blue course has a better mix of long and short par fours. The par fives on both courses are a wash when compared to each other. Overall, the Red course is really starting to grow on me and just might be my preference between the two now. Blue course is still the more fun course of the two

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Ocgolfrick' timestamp='1385064490' post='8185090']
Are you required to take a caddie here, and if so, do you have a recommendation for one? We're going to try to play this in January and are trying to get things lined up. Thanks in advance.
[/quote]Only required to take a caddie if you are riding in a golf cart. We had one rider with us so we got a caddie. I would recommend Rocky. He caddies for Hale Irwin on the Senior tour. So if its an off week, he might be at Streamsong. He is very good at what he does.

• 7 years later...
On 11/21/2013 at 2:38 PM, jeffyjeffmn said:

I was tempted to do the 2 1/2 hour drive from my moms house last time I was in Naples to play streamsong but a nagging wife kept me from it. It's definitely on the short list for my future visits.

There’s a solution for that problem but it’s very expensive. 

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel