Golf Book Collectors

Whereabouts in Oz are you btw ? Assuming that bit is true of course :)

Tas

Oh nice ! Have you have played those two Links courses at Barnbougle that I have on my bucket list ?

+1 on that Bump and Run book btw ... I won that as a prize at the World Hickory Open one year ... 2nd place in the warm up event in a rainstorm and gale at Forfar - extreme weather even for Scotland ! Only 10 holes "playable", holes filled to the brim with rainwater, and trees coming down around us as we played. Played with Chris Homer (Stixman) and the dapper Swedish/Scottish golf pro David Kirkham, and we all had great fun. Forfar was originally laid out by Old Tom Morris and later redesigned by James Braid ! Some good architecting pedigree there :)

Me on the left, Sandy Lyle in the middle, the wonderful WHO organiser and chairman Lionel Freedman RIP on the right.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Love him or hate him, the 1997 Masters was awesome. So far, this book is good. Nothing juicy but still good. Rubenstein has always been a heckuva wordsmith.

**Update** you all should get ready for Tiger's overuse of pet names. Gets old quick reading about Marko, Butchie, etc. Just wish they left that out or at least only used it onceo. Jeeezo.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

Tas

Oh nice ! Have you have played those two Links courses at Barnbougle that I have on my bucket list ?

+1 on that Bump and Run book btw ... I won that as a prize at the World Hickory Open one year ... 2nd place in the warm up event in a rainstorm and gale at Forfar - extreme weather even for Scotland ! Only 10 holes "playable", holes filled to the brim with rainwater, and trees coming down around us as we played. Played with Chris Homer (Stixman) and the dapper Swedish/Scottish golf pro David Kirkham, and we all had great fun. Forfar was originally laid out by Old Tom Morris and later redesigned by James Braid ! Some good architecting pedigree there :)

Me on the left, Sandy Lyle in the middle, the wonderful WHO organiser and chairman Lionel Freedman RIP on the right.

Great memories, great people.

Double +1 on Bump and Run, my 72nd B/day pressie.

Hacking my way through Demaret's My partner, Ben Hogan'. Much of the Hogan stuff is familiar but the book says more about Jimmy himself. There was another biography of Demaret, ultra sterile, but his story has never been told adequately. Perhaps he was too big a character to allow anyone to get sufficiently close.

Tas

Great story.

I have played them and the new ones on King Island. The latter are more spectacular but all incredible in their own right. Graeme Grant is the owner/developer of Ocean Dunes on King Island. He was the superintendent at Kingston Heath for about 30-40 years which is probably year in year out the best presented course in Australia so not surprisingly the greens at Ocean Dunes were a delight.

Cal Brown is no stranger to the Masters. Years ago he co-wrote the photographers scrapbook with Frank Christian. That book was one of the best to accurately portray Augusta. Below is another of his books, Masters Memories. He has signed his books for me in the past.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

Not sure if this is the correct thread as I'm not a book collector but a golfer who loves to read the thoughts and words of the real professors of the game and browsing ebay in the UK came across a nice little bundle of books including a pamphlet 'Thoughts on playing with steel shafts' by Henry Cotton,in reality an advert for True Temper shafts from 1934.

Also included were some 1.62" golf balls,some still wrapped,the Penfold Hearts I'll keep for my encounter with Goldfinger!

Not sure if this is the correct thread as I'm not a book collector but a golfer who loves to read the thoughts and words of the real professors of the game and browsing ebay in the UK came across a nice little bundle of books including a pamphlet 'Thoughts on playing with steel shafts' by Henry Cotton,in reality an advert for True Temper shafts from 1934.

Also included were some 1.62" golf balls,some still wrapped,the Penfold Hearts I'll keep for my encounter with Goldfinger!

Remember, "If that's his original ball, I'm Arnold Palmer"...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I also enjoy reading about the 'Augusta Invitational' but more in terms of the earlier years when it was a proper golf course and not something that appears to be the result of a Disney creativity meeting.

There is some excellent footage of Ben Hogan playing a practice round at Augusta in,I think,the 1940's with areas of 'rough',totally different to the artificially manicured lawns that are played on now.

Coincidentally 'Goldfinger' was screened on tv this last weekend,it's still a good movie and considering it's from 1964 was pretty awesome.

If it was remade now and they needed a shifty character with a South African accent who cheats at golf they could always give Gary a call for audition!

I vaguely remember that Fleming armed Goldfinger with Hogans????

Going through my parcel of books I've been reading Sam Snead's 'Education Of A Golfer' which is absolutely brilliant,I travelled over to York today and was reading it on the train and chuckling away at some of his stories about his days on the tour,his monkey farm project (!),favourite clubs and some sound advice on course and game management,a highly recommended read.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excellent book. I like Boomer. Never knew there were signed copies of his book.

Just got this book and so far, its good reading.

Yes, the very first edition (1942). Just 500 examples. - Very rare, especially one in Near Fine condition.

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

This week's U.S. Open is being played at Erin Hills. I played there a couple years ago and enjoyed my round there. I am glad they documented the course with their new book.

I just received my copy but unlike yours, mine is NOT a signed copy. Really enjoyed reading this book and great photography!

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

• 3 weeks later...

My two latest. Picked up the Book on Stenson's win of the 145th Open Championship while I was at Royal Birkdale.

Greg, are you ever tempted to get stuff like that signed? You're around the guys so much, I wasn't sure if that would be weird or not.

You didn't strike me as an autograph guy, but we've only met and talked a hand full of times,

My two latest. Picked up the Book on Stenson's win of the 145th Open Championship while I was at Royal Birkdale.

Greg, are you ever tempted to get stuff like that signed? You're around the guys so much, I wasn't sure if that would be weird or not.

You didn't strike me as an autograph guy, but we've only met and talked a hand full of times,

I've gotten flags signed for charities but not really interested in getting autographs for myself.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga