LPGA Wegman`s

Looks like we're going to have a playoff, but not with MP. Nice effort though.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370818875' post='7201562']
Looks like we're going to have a playoff, but not with MP. Nice effort though.
[/quote]

yeah she's gotta be kicking herself...2 putt on 17 and she's in. Probably lost a little interest being 3 down on the back 9, but it just shows you never know what can happen.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370818824' post='7201558']
[quote name='Timanator' timestamp='1370817865' post='7201474']
Was Pressel's marking correct on 17th after she put it way past the hole on her eagle attempt?
[/quote]
Yes. They're playing lift, clean and place. She put it back, because she marked it.
[/quote]

Looked like she put it to the right and forward of her marker(Closer to the hole) from the tv angle? But no matter, she's done.

Ping G30 Sl-Tec
TM R11 PW-4I
Scor 52-56
Odyssey Versa 7

Well, I said a vet may have the advantage. We'll see if I'm freaking Nostradamus!

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='Timanator' timestamp='1370819276' post='7201614']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370818824' post='7201558']
Was Pressel's marking correct on 17th after she put it way past the hole on her eagle attempt?
[/quote]
Yes. They're playing lift, clean and place. She put it back, because she marked it.
[/quote]

Looked like she put it to the right and forward of her marker(Closer to the hole) from the tv angle? But no matter, she's done.
[/quote]

She did, a good 6-8" right of her marker. You can move it up to a club length apparently with the LCP rules. She would also have to put it forward of her marker, as that is the proper placement anytime - BUT, I can see what you are getting at, she definitely got it right up to the collar ;).

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Pressel and Wie both move up to "easy pick" range for Mallon with points this week... 57 for MP, jumping to 10th, and 39 for Wie, moving to 11th, jumping Gerina.

[size=4]9 [/size][size=4]Lang, Brittany [/size][size=4]167.5[/size]
10 [size=4]Pressel, Morgan [/size][size=4][s]101.5[/s] > 158.5[/size]
11 [size=4]Johnson, Jennifer [/size][size=4]153.5[/size]
12 [size=4]Wie, Michelle [/size][size=4][s]112.5[/s] > 151.5[/size]
[size=4]13 [/size][size=4]Piller, Gerina [/size][size=4]150[/size]
14 Futcher, Katie 116.5
[size=4]15 [/size][size=4]Castrale, Nicole [/size][size=4]104[/size]

[size=4]Will have to see how Rolex shakes out Monday to see the full implications, but with Lang and Johnson both above Gerina there also, it doesn't look for for Gerina unless she grabs a win...quick.[/size]

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Well, that's it. The Inbee-slam. Stop two...

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1370821105' post='7201728']
Pressel and Wie both move up to "easy pick" range for Mallon with points this week... 57 for MP, jumping to 10th, and 39 for Wie, moving to 11th, jumping Gerina.

[size=4]9 [/size][size=4]Lang, Brittany [/size][size=4]167.5[/size]
10 [size=4]Pressel, Morgan [/size][size=4][s]101.5[/s] > 158.5[/size]
11 [size=4]Johnson, Jennifer [/size][size=4]153.5[/size]
12 [size=4]Wie, Michelle [/size][size=4][s]112.5[/s] > 151.5[/size]
[size=4]13 [/size][size=4]Piller, Gerina [/size][size=4]150[/size]
14 Futcher, Katie 116.5
[size=4]15 [/size][size=4]Castrale, Nicole [/size][size=4]104[/size]

[size=4]Will have to see how Rolex shakes out Monday to see the full implications... [/size]
[/quote]
I'd be loathe to pick Wie.

[quote name='Ghost_Orchid' timestamp='1370821670' post='7201806']
*sigh* congrats to IP. I guess... Dang, only 1 Star Spangled Banner on first page of leader board.
[/quote]
Well that's one more than there usually are!

Unreal win by IBP, how she did it missing all those fairways... every hole it seems like she was punching that fairway wood out of the junk.

Props to TGC for sticking with the playoff, even though I suspect a lot US tv's changed the channel after regulation play, unfortunately.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1370821883' post='7201828']
Unreal win by IBP, how she did it missing all those fairways... every hole it seems like she was punching that fairway wood out of the junk.

Props to TGC for sticking with the playoff, even though I suspect a lot US tv's changed the channel after regulation play, unfortunately.
[/quote]

The result was NID.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370821592' post='7201788']
I'd be loathe to pick Wie.
[/quote]

That's fallacy of the double points major, especially the last one before the cup. There's always the possibility of an unknown moving up with a high finish with so many points available - Jennifer Johnson is actually a good example, and her win a few weeks ago wasn't even double points. Not that MW is unknown, but the strange things can happen with double points. 1st place is 120 points, and 8th place right now is only 168 right now. You can go down as far as Amanda Blumenhurst, for instance, a win here would put her right at the top 8, .5 point out maybe. Heck Danielle Kang and Mina Harigae just missed picking up points even.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Well done Inbee! Not sure how she got away with only hitting 6 fairways on the last day but it worked, just! MP surely has to be rueing her eagle attempt on 17, she really needed to ensure the birdie there didn't she? Hindsight is 20-20 I guess..

Not a bad showing by Lydia, well played Mr22, T17! I think she'll be pretty annoyed when she looks back at her messed up holes but really she has to be pretty pleased overall. She got her putting going eventually, only a couple of girls made more birdies than she did in the last two rounds which should bode well for future. When she got to -1 and into the top 10 with 5 to play in the third round I was thinking here we go, but then she absolutely imploded and dropped 6 shots in 4 holes, birdied the last to finish with a 73. Coulda, shoulda, woulda of course but with -5 getting into the playoff, what could have been..

Quick shout out to FOX Sports here in AUS, glad to see you thought the junior Rugby and the Darts was more important than the golf and, as usual, with the golf running overtime the recording cut off on the first playoff hole. Thx for nothing!

[/quote]

They were playing lift, clean and place on any closely mown area. MP marked her eagle putt and moved it about a foot to get a perceived better angle. He was also well within the rules on the next putt.

Ironically, that 3 putt cost her a playoff spot.

I was rooting for Pressel but she should have been smart and not gone for the eagle on 17, therefore,
guaranteeing a birdie. Her opponent was in the rough and probably a high percentage she would bogie.

What do you think of Catronia's shot on the last playoff hole? Strictly second guessing but I thought
the shot from the rough should have been a flop? Better on the green that short.

* Catriona seemed nervous throughout the playoff. I thought she got away with a poor swing off the 18th tee on the first playoff hole. Once I saw that swing, the result seemed inevitable. She's always relatively brief on the backswing but that one was short and tense, followed by a begging lean. The saving wedge on the second playoff hole was her only excellent swing in the playoff. When she pulled out the hybrid under the tree on the third playoff hole, it seemed desperate and ill conceived.

* Very strange final round. Inbee, Morgan, Na Yeon and Jiyai gave away shots at different points. I doubt the winning score would be -5 or worse 2 times in 10 if that group started the final round with the scores they had.

* In retrospect it was stupid to load up on Koreans but not include Inbee. Her odds drifted upward from 6/1 about a month ago to a very generous 11/1 in this event. I mentioned in the main tour forum about a week ago that Inbee was a lopsided number one from the standpoint of head to head matchups against top players, which is the Jeff Sagarin method and very similar to the numbers I chart. Inbee's gap above Stacy is massive in those numbers, far beyond Rolex indications or subjective impressions.

* Tom Abbott was quietly absent this week. Obviously filming the fall Big Break somewhere, just like 2012 at this time when they filmed Greenbrier during the weeks engulfing the men's US Open. Let's see, last year Big Break featured one all female and one all male. The current Big Break Mexico is mixed. It might be time for a reunion series.

* Morgan's shorts need to be distributed to at least 1/3 the tour. I think the tour can handle that percentage these days, up from maybe 10% who could have worn them minus laughter two decades ago. It can be a fan vote and tour promotion, "Who Wears Morgan's Shorts?" Besides, sharing clothes is nothing new in the LPGA these days. If anyone looked closely at the brief 18th hole view of Jessica Korda putting out, she was wearing Paula's skirt from Saturday.

* Phil Parkin was spot on regarding Michelle Wie...her improved swing and tentative putting from close range. Michelle's stroke is excellent from a distance, best in many years. But inside 6 or 8 feet she's scared of the comeback putt and babies the ball toward the hole. That's been glaring all year. I think it's partially caused by the practice strokes directly behind the ball. You have to stop your stroke and pull up quickly with that method. It transfers to the actual putt. Michelle's alignment is sometimes so bad on the short ones the specific miss is predictable. On the fourth hole Sunday she aimed right of the hole on a 3 footer that appeared to be dead straight. Sure enough, it missed there. Somehow Michelle blamed a phantom break instead of a lousy read. Her swing on short to mid irons is much improved. It doesn't fully apply higher up her bag. Unfortunately, Golf Channel seldom showed any of her tees shots all week.

* I'm still not overly confident about Michelle's upward progress until it attaches to the driver. However, it's amusing to realize what the haters must be going through. She bogeys four holes in quick order on the front nine today, and suddenly there's great hope of a disastrous 80 or thereabouts, much of it caught on camera. A round like that would have dwarfed the outcome in terms of the winner. It's not even worth denying. Then they have to gulp and reevaluate when iron shots are tight, putts drop, and +2 rebounds to -2 on a tough course. As a handicapper I'll point out it's one thing to short Michelle Wie when she's ranked 7th in the world, and quite another to expect a continued slide when she's nearing 100. That's not an earn.

* Until this week I wouldn't have believed Michelle had potential to make the Solheim team, as a pick or on points. Now it's still an underdog, but reasonable. Morgan all but cemented her spot. That should have been a given all along.

I had a chance to attend the event on Sunday. We arrived around 9 and left the property around 5. I was whopped from playing 36 the day before.

I've played Locust before, and the back does lack character. After 11, it's a bunch of 350ish yard par 4s. The only thing breaking it up are the 15th and the 17th. The front is much more enjoyable with the holes going up and down the hill. The course in general was SOAKED. Upwards of 2" of rain fell on Monday, maybe even closer to 3 or 4. Just getting the place playable was an accomplishment.

Jennifer Rosales is my girl. I nicknamed her "Jenny from the Block". She almost aced 15 in her 4th round. We were sitting in the grandstands her ball hit right in front of the hole, and released just past it. Awesome shot. Sarah Jane Smith was also one of my favorites. Kathleen Ekey also goes into the "YUM" category. And Pressel's shorts were nice.

We were standing in the right rough on 10 when Paula teed off and hit it OB right in Round 4. We heard the ball hit a tree behind us, but a crew of about 50 never found it. We figured it must have made it to the road.

Wie's parents need to leave her alone. Her Mom and Dad followed her everywhere. Both with rangefinders, Dad taking notes on everything. I wonder if golf is even fun for her anymore. She had tights on in Rd 3, then took them off for Rd 4. I was standing next to her Mom and said "She took her tights off" and my buddies said she shook her head in disgust at me. It wasn't meant as an off-color comment at all, just because I didn't recognize here without the tights on.

I was impressed with how consistent most of the ladies were, and how long some of them are. And the shots the can pull off are awesome. Laura Davies is a beast. On 11 in Rd. 3 we were right next to her on her third shot. She had 104 in out of the rough, and her caddy was saying an open 54!!! She didn't make the green, but I was shocked she could hit an open wedge that far. Also really cool that the ladies have so much more flair then the men. From the clothing, head covers, ball colors, etc... Also surprised at how much access the patrons have to the players. Many of the walks between holes were not roped off, especially around the tunnel and the 1 green, 10 green, 2 tee, 3 green, 4 tee area. I know the PGA in a few weeks will not be this way.

Regarding the rumor about the site moving, I've heard that as well. I guess the LPGA offered Oak Hill $1,000,000 to host it next year. Don't know how much I believe that, or if OHCC would take it. If not OHCC, there are plenty of other tournament caliber courses around to host it.

I don't often find myself rooting for Morgan but was on the weekend, till she took herself out of it late on Sunday. I just don't much care for the "whiney" types & I can't stand listening to her. In the playoffs, I was rooting for Catriona, she's always been a solid golfer, under the radar, but deadly when "on". She quietly goes about her business, nothing flashy, just good golf usually.

That last round felt really anti-climactic to me, as others have stated. I know it was a tough course with skinny fairways and deep rough that would have tested anyone (the way I sprayed tee shots this weekend that course would have eaten my lunch!). I guess for me it was sad that nobody in striking distance other than Catriona played a solid round. Of course, 36 holes on the final day took its toll, it seemed.

With Inbee struggling off the tee, I kept thinking "Morgan, she can't make it any more available to you". I couldn't believe she hammered that putt on 17 so far past the hole. That is one I would've definitely tried to die in the hole, attempting to guarantee a birdie.

Pettersen went crazy out there, -7, that is some really good golf. :o Unfortunately started too far behind to catch everyone.

Bummed that Amy Yang didn't fare better. Her swing is beautiful to watch, I call her the [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/swing-sequences/2013-02/video-louis-oosthuizen-swing-sequence"]Louis Oosthuizen[/url] of the LPGA. It looks so simple and fluid that it seems it would be hard to mishit a shot.

Also a shame that Ai couldn't keep the birdie train going after a spectacular 3rd round. She could have been a factor with a good final round.

Inbee is quite impressive, with an unorthodox swing and a short game that is rock solid. She really shows how controlling your emotions can really make a difference. The problem is I almost always find myself pulling for everyone but her, because of lack of emotion. Who wants to see a weak, forced grin after winning? I want to see a David Lee Roth scissor kick, a cartwheel, or something. Give me anything! I know it's golf, but still...

[quote name='Yuck' timestamp='1370829451' post='7202580']
What has gotten into Wie the last couple weeks? I had written her off.
[/quote]

My pet theory is that the goal of a Cup team berth is all that is driving Michelleee right now. She may have millions in the bank and the adulation of fans all over the globe and basically a key to the golf world but for Michelleee there are precious few things in life that she can truly enjoy for herself and the Cup seems to be one of them. A chance for her to be one of the girls. A chance for her to play fun golf, no micromanagement by Ma and Pa Wie. This is precisely why she is playing good golf lately. Just goes to show when she is properly motivated she can compete just fine even with a sickly putting game. She is a lock to make the team. LOCK I TELL YA

[quote name='DamonRipper' timestamp='1370876506' post='7205032']

Inbee is quite impressive, with an unorthodox swing and a short game that is rock solid. She really shows how controlling your emotions can really make a difference. The problem is I almost always find myself pulling for everyone but her, because of lack of emotion. Who wants to see a weak, forced grin after winning? I want to see a David Lee Roth scissor kick, a cartwheel, or something. Give me anything! I know it's golf, but still...
[/quote]

Watched her interview with Foltz after the round. She has often commented on the fact that she might look collected on the outside but she's nervous as all get up on the inside. She was refreshingly honest in saying that she probably didn't deserve to be in the playoff with the way she hit the driver in the 4th round coupled with her last few holes and giving away strokes. When Foltz commented that she now was only the third LPGA player to win the first two "majors" of the year she said she was glad she didn't know that was possible as it would have made her even more nervous.

The LPGA has their fair share of "characters" in terms of appearance, outward displays of emotion etc., but IBP isn't ever going to fit in that category.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1370881827' post='7205864']

Watched her interview with Foltz after the round. She has often commented on the fact that she might look collected on the outside but she's nervous as all get up on the inside. She was refreshingly honest in saying that she probably didn't deserve to be in the playoff with the way she hit the driver in the 4th round coupled with her last few holes and giving away strokes. When Foltz commented that she now was only the third LPGA player to win the first two "majors" of the year she said she was glad she didn't know that was possible as it would have made her even more nervous.

The LPGA has their fair share of "characters" in terms of appearance, outward displays of emotion etc., but IBP isn't ever going to fit in that category.
[/quote]

Cool. I am not taking anything away from her, her record speaks for itself. She gets it done while others don't, time after time. For me, I would just like to see a little jubilation.

Unfortunately, I forgot to extend the recording on DVR so I didn't get to see the playoff or anything after regulation. :angry22: