2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

LPGA Wegman`s

[quote name='DamonRipper' timestamp='1370882411' post='7205964']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1370881827' post='7205864']
Watched her interview with Foltz after the round. She has often commented on the fact that she might look collected on the outside but she's nervous as all get up on the inside. She was refreshingly honest in saying that she probably didn't deserve to be in the playoff with the way she hit the driver in the 4th round coupled with her last few holes and giving away strokes. When Foltz commented that she now was only the third LPGA player to win the first two "majors" of the year she said she was glad she didn't know that was possible as it would have made her even more nervous.

The LPGA has their fair share of "characters" in terms of appearance, outward displays of emotion etc., but IBP isn't ever going to fit in that category.
[/quote]

Cool. I am not taking anything away from her, her record speaks for itself. She gets it done while others don't, time after time. For me, I would just like to see a little jubilation.

Unfortunately, I forgot to extend the recording on DVR so I didn't get to see the playoff or anything after regulation. :angry22:
[/quote]

I knew you weren't taking a shot at her...and agree that she lets the final score speak for her performance. It would also be cool to see some level of emotion...I just don't think she's wired that way. It probably also keeps her from being a fan favorite. Someone like Suzann Pettersen, yeah you'd see some serious fist pumping, etc.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Morgan - and a few others - simply ran out of gas late Sunday. Fortunately it looks like Morgan put herself in prime position for a Solheim Cup pick and if Wei continues to play well.....who knows? She might make it on merit. A little confidence on short putts and she could start getting things rolling her way.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Seems like InBee, Catriona & Morgan all ran out of gas.

I really respect the Koreans but some are too boring to watch.....but their even keel helps them to win.
We need to see Ryu, Amy, IK Kim, Se Ri & Ji Ya to win more as they have the most personality of the Koreans.

Any one else notice that Bam Bam changed putters and was using a sabre tooth?

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1370885387' post='7206536']

I really respect the Koreans but some are too boring to watch.....but their even keel helps them to win.
We need to see Ryu, Amy, IK Kim, Se Ri & Ji Ya to win more as they have the most personality of the Koreans.

[/quote]

Don't forget NYC...she's got a bit of spunk to her. Saw the Bam Bam putter change and also saw her smiling after her tournament was over yesterday. That's a change over her missed cuts of recent events.

[/quote]

I did notice, although I though it was a #7? Putting is a weakness for BB for sure... worked good for two days, anyway :).

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[/quote]
If anything the Koreans are very patient. And Judy Rankin brought up a good point of whoever is teaching mechanics to those girls deserves some major credit.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='exquisitechip' timestamp='1370883005' post='7206040']
I just read that the last nine women's "major" events have been won by Asians. Koreans have won the last four. Fellow Americans, its over!!! This game belongs to the world now.
[/quote]

Certainly true on the LPGA and maybe not far off for the men. Could be sooner than we think that the Master's leader board is full of Asian players. Will the PGA suffer the same low ratings that the PGA does? I hope not. I generally root for Americans but good golf is good golf.

As usual, appreciate the play by play and commentary many of you provided. Some of you really carry the LPGA board. I was stuck working and didn't get to watch a single minute this weekend. Speaking of which, about a dozen of you mentioned MP's shorts and no one posted a pic. Shame on you. Overall, good job though! Congrats to Park!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1370895832' post='7208072']
Couple of quick ones. Victoria Tanco was DQ'd because she was the first alternate, got into the event and was a no show.

The potential Solheim Cuppers had a dinner this past week and Morgan was a no show. Also, the potential team is practicing in CO this week and Morgan was not invited.
[/quote]

Hmm, interesting on MP. I could see her skipping the dinner specifically as a form of silent protest if she wasn't invited to CO, but you have to figure after this week Meg would offer the invite?

But, their all women, so who knows wth they got going on, so the drama lol...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1370890493' post='7207364']
Speaking of which, about a dozen of you mentioned MP's shorts and no one posted a pic. Shame on you.
[/quote]
You're welcome.

[attachment=1725572:mp.jpg][attachment=1725574:mp2.jpg][attachment=1725576:mp3.jpg][attachment=1725580:mp4.jpg]

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

I don't think US girls are all that interested in golf....so they have a relatively smaller pool of gals to pull from.....with the US infrastructure for golf development......there is no reason why US girls can't succeed vs. the Koreans.

BUT

Golf is really popular with Koreans.....and Koreans really support women's golf.

Here in Vanc., BC......60-70% I'm paired up with Koreans who can't speak English.
At some courses....the only young kids on the driving range are Koreans with their parents not too far away.

I see some Korean moms that will shag balls for their sons.....white women don't do this...they just drop their kids and leave.
I can't get my white wife to loop for me when I play a tournament.....I should have listened to my Mom 40 years ago and marry a subservient Asian bride.....Mother Knows Best.
But my sister is smart she married a white guy...who treats my sister and the kids like gold.....no way she would be able to boss around an Asian hubby....lol.

And I would say 80% were Korean girls when there was a Jr. event at 2 courses where I went to play.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1370898636' post='7208406']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1370887656' post='7206902']
I did notice, although I though it was a #7? Putting is a weakness for BB for sure... worked good for two days, anyway :).
[/quote]

I call #7 the sabre tooth.
[/quote]

Oh no, it's the "sharks tooth" :) the sabretooth is the rounder one - that rocco used in the 08 US Open..

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1370902045' post='7208870']
Attaboy tbowles haha!
[/quote]
Can't let a man wonder what the deal is! LOL

Honestly, part of it is work ethic. Not that the American players don't work hard, but in Korea many of the better training facilities basically put the students through eight hour days six days a week and I'd be willing to be that there's not a single U.S. player that has a comparable practice schedule.

In my years at a few different courses I have yet to run into a single female who puts in the hours that most men trying to compete do. A women's college team practices regularly at one course that I used to play and they might max out at two to three hours per session. If you compare that to the time the Korean players are putting in that's in the neighborhood of four hours on their end to every one for an American player dedicates to practicing. I understand that my experience isn't the end all, be all but it is indicative of the likely trend.

The players who are at the top regularly in LPGA are the ones who put in the time on the course, range, and short game areas, and that just isn't the American players right now.

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370897106' post='7208224']
[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1370890493' post='7207364']
Speaking of which, about a dozen of you mentioned MP's shorts and no one posted a pic. Shame on you.
[/quote]
You're welcome.

[attachment=1725572:mp.jpg][attachment=1725574:mp2.jpg][attachment=1725576:mp3.jpg][attachment=1725580:mp4.jpg]
[/quote]Holy Moly - her new-ish husband is a lucky man.

[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1370908362' post='7209588']
Honestly, part of it is work ethic. Not that the American players don't work hard, but in Korea many of the better training facilities basically put the students through eight hour days six days a week and I'd be willing to be that there's not a single U.S. player that has a comparable practice schedule.

In my years at a few different courses I have yet to run into a single female who puts in the hours that most men trying to compete do. A women's college team practices regularly at one course that I used to play and they might max out at two to three hours per session. If you compare that to the time the Korean players are putting in that's in the neighborhood of four hours on their end to every one for an American player dedicates to practicing. I understand that my experience isn't the end all, be all but it is indicative of the likely trend.

The players who are at the top regularly in LPGA are the ones who put in the time on the course, range, and short game areas, and that just isn't the American players right now.
[/quote]

IIRC Korean has a national golf program. Every moment of time is accounted for and many do not receive the equivalent of a HS education. Finding sponsors is easy compared to the States if you show any level of talent. Korean parents view it as their responsibility to maximize their child's talent. Completely different mindset.

Guys, keep it in perspective. For each Korean "wondergirl" there's 100 of under-educated, scarred-for-life girls put through a physical and mental grinder of high parental expectations and usually heavy handed parenting "techniques." I wouldn't wish a childhood like that on anyone.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1370947437' post='7212276']
Guys, keep it in perspective. For each Korean "wondergirl" there's 100 of under-educated, scarred-for-life girls put through a physical and mental grinder of high parental expectations and usually heavy handed parenting "techniques." I wouldn't wish a childhood like that on anyone.
[/quote]
Isn't that much of the Asian culture, not just Koreans?

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370958682' post='7213114']
[/quote]
[/quote]

....i guess that's why the last 11 women's majors have been won by asians..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Well, the only pic I made that had a chance was NYC. She was 4th going into the final round but came up a little short. With all the talk of the importance of putting I was contemplating InBee and should have gone with my gut on that one. I was glad to see Morgan play well as she is one of my favs but just hasn't done well since the whole slow play penalty incident with Aza. Don't know what happened to Karrie or Bea. Glad to see MW do well but I heard Rankin speak of her many missed short putts, so if she can manage to figure out the putter (stance) maybe she will get a win that she soooo badly needs! Overall a good tourney.

My pics [s]are[/s] were:

[b]Bea Recari[/b] - top 20 in driving accuracy and putting.
[b]Karrie Webb[/b] - Stats are solid, she is a hall of famer and knows how to win majors, and might be on a streak.
[b]NYC[/b] - She's due, 3rd in scoring average, pretty good putting stats, and pretty accurate driver. She's due and can win!

[quote name='jmvargas' timestamp='1370959879' post='7213272']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1370958682' post='7213114']
[/quote]
[/quote]

....i guess that's why the last 11 women's majors have been won by asians..
[/quote]
Then there's that...

Most Koreans are very shy and reserved, its just the nature of their culture. Very respectful to others and especially their elders. I find it very compelling how alot of them have learned the English language, I can remember not two years ago NYC could barely speak the language and looked terrified in interviews. These girls work very hard to not only become better players but to thrive in a foreign country where just about no one speaks their native language. I wonder if Michelle converses in Korean with many of them, she is fluent after all. I find their work ethic to be quite impressive, and that's enough for me to be a fan. Congrats to Park In-Bee and go Michelle!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1370917460' post='7210808']
[quote name='PedronNiall' timestamp='1370908362' post='7209588']

[/quote]

IIRC Korean has a national golf program. Every moment of time is accounted for and many do not receive the equivalent of a HS education. Finding sponsors is easy compared to the States if you show any level of talent. Korean parents view it as their responsibility to maximize their child's talent. Completely different mindset.
[/quote]

Not saying their system is perfect, I'm just saying that while American players won't exactly find it hard living as long as they're making cuts there's no way that they can compete with other women who put in four times as much practice per day. No need to destroy yourself for the game, but you have to be realistic with your expectations based upon the hours spent honing in your abilities.

It's just like the time put in by Tiger, Luke, and a few others vs a lot of the other guys on the PGA/Euro Tours. Watching many of the Inside the PGA broadcasts you can see how much difference there is time wise between the top and those who peak here and there.