2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Swizbeatz WITB new byron and M2 tour page 5

here are fairway and hybrid numbers, I only had my 3 wood but the gap in the hybrid will be about the same between old and new. Ever hit something for the first time and know it was going in the bag? That's how the 915 fairway was for me. We laughed as I was leaving because I hit a few other 3 woods but didn't even remember to try the G30. No need, these were that good.

Swing speed-Smash-Ball speed-Launch-Spin-Carry-Total
G25 gamer 3 wood
915F 16.5 S+70
915H 3 hybrid S+70

100.5 1.46 147.1 9.0 3572 232 252
101.7 1.47 149.0 12.6 3104 245 265
93.9 1.51 142.1 13.6 4438 220 232

Landing angle with 3 wood went from 35* to 40*, height from 75 to 100 ft. Hybrid was 47* landing, 110 height. Those are so much more optimal numbers for second shots into par 5s for me.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are some nice numbers! Thanks for the info. The 915F 16.5 is on my radar, but it will have to beat out my G25 16.5, which has been a go-to club for me.

I plan to try the 915 D2 & D3 as well, but the thought of a G30 low spin is intriguing. I'm pretty much used to my G25 driver at this point too, so the upgrade to the G30 LS should be pretty seamless, but I might shorten it a little to either 45" or 44.75" and put a Rogue in it.

Thanks again for sharing the numbers!

• 4 weeks later...

I like them, they were an experiment that's worked out really well. I hit some of the stock Nippon options and went with these because they were the "higher" launch option and I'll admit partly the cool factor.

I like feeling some kick, love the DI in driver, these don't really compare to anything I've hit because you can really feel them load, almost feel soft. I play a draw though and had 0 issues losing the ball left this year so they aren't too soft. Stiff straight in, 6 iron SS is ~90. Longest and straightest combo I've hit, dropped a few strokes off the cap this year and iron play was a big reason why.

The recoils I had were too stiff, play stiff to flex in mine and others opinions. Great feel if you get them dialed in right, rebar if not.

Read the big ongoing Nippon thread and ask away in there for more opinions. I had a few questions comparing SPO to Modus and the guys in there are really knowledgable, much more so than I am.

You take the 915s out for their maiden voyage yet?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Few days ago and then again today for the first time at eagle eye with Dozer. They are awesome. I hit 3 wood a lot off the tee and on to an elevated green on the first back 9 par 5 from 240 to ~25 feet. First hit with the hybrid was a 220 rope layup from a fairway bunker. Probably ~8 shots total with no real misses. Agree with most of the sentiment on here about feel and sound but if it didn't bother me in 45* it will be fine in the summer. Very excited to see the #s translate to the course. Got a few other new things, I'll post pics tomorrow as I've been working from the feaking minute we finished playing today.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1418692285' post='10598495']
Few days ago and then again today for the first time at eagle eye with Dozer. They are awesome. I hit 3 wood a lot off the tee and on to an elevated green on the first back 9 par 5 from 240 to ~25 feet. First hit with the hybrid was a 220 rope layup from a fairway bunker. Probably ~8 shots total with no real misses. Agree with most of the sentiment on here about feel and sound but if it didn't bother me in 45* it will be fine in the summer. Very excited to see the #s translate to the course. Got a few other new things, I'll post pics tomorrow as I've been working from the feaking minute we finished playing today.
[/quote]
Wow, it's pretty impressive to reach that par 5 in two. I've been pin high to one side or the other a couple times when it's been downwind in summer weather, but in yesterday's temps, that's quite a poke.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1418740782' post='10600407']
[/quote]
Wow, it's pretty impressive to reach that par 5 in two. I've been pin high to one side or the other a couple times when it's been downwind in summer weather, but in yesterday's temps, that's quite a poke.
[/quote]

We were not playing very far back, cold/wet/windy. Most drives plugged. But the second shot was still legit, carried up on the green. I'm excited too because I'm struggling with the g25 3 wood more than any other club in the bag over the last few months. I also played a Diamana in a sq2 3 wood for like 5 years, I think getting back to one of those is going to work great.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1418741310' post='10600443']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1418740782' post='10600407']
[/quote]
[/quote]

We were not playing very far back, cold/wet/windy. Most drives plugged. But the second shot was still legit, carried up on the green. I'm excited too because I'm struggling with the g25 3 wood more than any other club in the bag over the last few months. I also played a Diamana in a sq2 3 wood for like 5 years, I think getting back to one of those is going to work great.
[/quote]
Is the S+ equivalent to a blueboard? Diamana shafts seem to play well with Titleist fairways and hybrids. I have a couple of low launching Diamanas in my 5w and hybrid, and I really like both. What did you have in your G25? I'm surprised you had trouble hitting that. Mine with the AD BB is probably my favorite club in the bag.

Yep, higher launching of the two options. I have a DJ7s in the ping that was tipped too much by the guy that built it, that + the 15* loft has me trying to do too much with it I think. I hit it a lot off the tee because it doesn't go left but didn't hit a shot from the turf in months as good as what I hit yesterday.

• 1 month later...

How you liking the No 1s so far? I put mine on Driver, 3w, 5w and LW, and I'm a fan of the feel. Kind of firm and textured feel -- reminds me a little bit of cord, but easier on the hands.

New driver cover, matches the carolina blue no1 grip well. Also threw up some pics of the scratch wedges after 2 months and 5 rounds of golf, rusting up nicely. I'll be taking both those and the square toed DW's down to Florida on Thursday. I really like the shape of those and the 0 offset, I may like the other grinds though. The DW have much sharper leading edge too which can be tough in MI conditions. As many as 8 rounds in 5 days coming up! Hitting trackman tomorrow to hopefully dial in which loft LST to put the shaft in.

79A6463A-0497-4E7D-8169-656E7DCEBE15_zpsipigzwn1.jpg

3F40FCFE-F111-4723-AF5C-1565C7237ACD_zpsvaa2aah1.jpg

0471F8A2-27B8-456B-9D3C-BF13F2C5A778_zpsfknllovs.jpg

6DDF254F-487C-4CBA-BDF4-852D849DFA81_zpsvofapode.jpg

[quote name='Architect' timestamp='1424470725' post='10994261']
Swiz,
I like the mix of Titleist, Epon and Scratch.
It's great following your WITB.
[/quote]

Thanks! Picked up a LST and I've played twice with it now, very low spin. I was seeing 1700 on a hard draw, 2200 on a straight ball, and 2600 fade, hit a couple trackman superstar balls right at 2k when I was testing it out.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1424483948' post='10995551']
[quote name='Architect' timestamp='1424470725' post='10994261']
Swiz,
I like the mix of Titleist, Epon and Scratch.
It's great following your WITB.
[/quote]

Thanks! Picked up a LST and I've played twice with it now, very low spin. I was seeing 1700 on a hard draw, 2200 on a straight ball, and 2600 fade, hit a couple trackman superstar balls right at 2k when I was testing it out.
[/quote]

Those are some good numbers! What is your swing speed?

I bought the G30 before the LST was ever mentioned. I'm happy with what I hsve, and doubt it is much more than a few hundred RPM difference...right?!?

Ping G30 10.5 Driver Tour 80 75g S
Ping G30 5-wood TFC 419F 57g S
Ping i25 3-UW irons KBS Tour S
Ping Gorge 54SS, 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, ProV1X
WITB Link

It was so cold I bounced around to a lot of different things, unfortunately I never hit the g30 and the LST at the same time. I posted g30 numbers a while back and they were 300+ rpms higher, still a great driver though. I would have bought one but the rumors of a low spin version had just come out and a Ping rep told me to "wait and see", at that point our season was basically done so it sounded like a good idea. The LST has the rogue so some of the lower spin could be from going DI 6s->50 x. Next time I get a chance I want to hit the DI in the LST, I've played that for 2 years now thru a couple different drivers. SS is ~104 right now, little faster in the summer.

• 1 month later...

How do you like the Rogue LTD 50X in the G30LS?

I'm hitting a Tour Green 65S in my G25 and love that combo. I should have a G30 LS with AD-Di 6S in a matter of hours. I've been thinking of the Rogue LTD just because I love the Tour Green so much, but wish it were a tad smoother. I've thought about the 60S in the Rogue LTD, but the 50X might be better. I might be dropping the 60S or 50X in an R15 to start out.

Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks! :)

[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1427784351' post='11251105']

I'm hitting a Tour Green 65S in my G25 and love that combo. I should have a G30 LS with AD-Di 6S in a matter of hours. I've been thinking of the Rogue LTD just because I love the Tour Green so much, but wish it were a tad smoother. I've thought about the 60S in the Rogue LTD, but the 50X might be better. I might be dropping the 60S or 50X in an R15 to start out.

[/quote]

I would have probably played the tour green at some point too, I liked that shaft. I can't give you much because the weather has been pretty crappy and I haven't changed shafts yet. I need 3jack to quit taking vacations to warm weather climates and work on my gear! Just kidding bud.

I hit the DI on trackman and it spun a couple hundred rpms more than the rogue but I wasn't swinging great. I'll be able to post another trackman comparison within a week or two with my DI at 44.5" instead of the fitting one. I will say I like the rogue enough that I cut it down from 45" to 44.5, I ordered it a little long in case I dumped it right away. It doesn't feel "smooth" like the DI but also not boardy, its tough to describe. When I put a really good swing on it it feels like the bottom 1/4 snaps through but the rest of the shaft just feels stable. Does that make any sense? Whereas the DI just feels smooth and loads for me all day regardless of the swing I put on it. Either the head or the shaft, and I'm assuming shaft since even thought its lighter its an X, has corralled any miss left and I can actually hit a cut pretty easily if I want to. With the DI I'd hit some really pretty looking balls that would just never stop lazily turning left and I hit it so high with the G25 the hang time would take it from right rough to left rough on what felt like a pretty good swing. I've been hitting bullets with this, same 10.5 loft so far although I might turn it down to 9.9 when it firms up.

Besides trackman I'll for sure play the DI a few times once I get a tip on it. My club is also deserted right now I've got 5 holes picked out with a good mix of downhill/uphill/flat landing areas I plan on testing on, 3 balls with each shaft off each tee and chart the results.

Edit - FWIW I think your really going to like the LST if you've been playing that G25 as long as I think you have. Its basically a longer G25 for me, I haven't noticed any change in forgiveness besides it launches lower.

All the new gear is working great. I'm -3 over 10 rounds in MI, I got to a 0 last year but this is entirely new territory. Most of the rounds were <50* and a few were 20-30 mph winds. Making a lot of birdies on par 5s with the new top end of the bag, getting up and down, making a few more 8 footers. A few of the rounds I didn't even hit it well and just scrambled around. I 3 putted two of the last 3 holes a couple weeks back for a 69, shot one round in the 60's last year, and shot 70 from the tips at my club yesterday that could have easily been lower if a couple <10 footers drop for birdie.

Can you tell I'm excited? I have tournaments coming up in a month or so including a 36 hole GAM event at Oakland Hills which is going to be great. Waiting on a new bag and then I'll post some pics. The LST has gotten better pretty much every single round I've played.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1427906587' post='11261725']
The LST has gotten better pretty much every single round I've played.
[/quote]
Same here -- I think than in addition to being longer than the G25 for guys like us, it is actually even more forgiving. I've hit some drives that felt like they were misses right or left, but looked up and saw it flying straight down the fairway, and not spinning a lot and losing a ton of distance. It really performed well in the wind down in Texas this past weekend, and I really couldn't be happier with mine. Hoping to do a shaft comparison between AD BB and Tour 80 on Trackman tonight, but the on-course results with the AD BB are not making me want to change anything.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1427825915' post='11254231']
[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1427784351' post='11251105']

[/quote]

I would have probably played the tour green at some point too, I liked that shaft. I can't give you much because the weather has been pretty crappy and I haven't changed shafts yet. I need 3jack to quit taking vacations to warm weather climates and work on my gear! Just kidding bud.

I hit the DI on trackman and it spun a couple hundred rpms more than the rogue but I wasn't swinging great. I'll be able to post another trackman comparison within a week or two with my DI at 44.5" instead of the fitting one. I will say I like the rogue enough that I cut it down from 45" to 44.5, I ordered it a little long in case I dumped it right away. It doesn't feel "smooth" like the DI but also not boardy, its tough to describe. When I put a really good swing on it it feels like the bottom 1/4 snaps through but the rest of the shaft just feels stable. Does that make any sense? Whereas the DI just feels smooth and loads for me all day regardless of the swing I put on it. Either the head or the shaft, and I'm assuming shaft since even thought its lighter its an X, has corralled any miss left and I can actually hit a cut pretty easily if I want to. With the DI I'd hit some really pretty looking balls that would just never stop lazily turning left and I hit it so high with the G25 the hang time would take it from right rough to left rough on what felt like a pretty good swing. I've been hitting bullets with this, same 10.5 loft so far although I might turn it down to 9.9 when it firms up.

Besides trackman I'll for sure play the DI a few times once I get a tip on it. My club is also deserted right now I've got 5 holes picked out with a good mix of downhill/uphill/flat landing areas I plan on testing on, 3 balls with each shaft off each tee and chart the results.

Edit - FWIW I think your really going to like the LST if you've been playing that G25 as long as I think you have. Its basically a longer G25 for me, I haven't noticed any change in forgiveness besides it launches lower.
[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed shaft comparisons. I am a Tour Green guy thus far, so if the AD-Di 6S doesn't work out in the long run, I've got an easy fix for that. I've tried lots of other drivers, but I've always come back to the G25. Mostly for its accuracy first and distance second. When I hit the G30 LS in the store, I thought it felt much more like the G25 than the G30. That I liked!

Great work on the low rounds! Sounds like you've settled into a nice, natural groove! :)

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1427915762' post='11263199']
[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1427906587' post='11261725']
The LST has gotten better pretty much every single round I've played.
[/quote]
Same here -- I think than in addition to being longer than the G25 for guys like us, it is actually even more forgiving. I've hit some drives that felt like they were misses right or left, but looked up and saw it flying straight down the fairway, and not spinning a lot and losing a ton of distance. It really performed well in the wind down in Texas this past weekend, and I really couldn't be happier with mine. Hoping to do a shaft comparison between AD BB and Tour 80 on Trackman tonight, but the on-course results with the AD BB are not making me want to change anything.
[/quote]
Would like to hear about that comparison! I have a DI 7x and might order an 80 tour x...

TS3 8.5, tenseii pro blue 70tx tipped 1"
917 f3 15, tenseii pro blue 80tx tipped 1.5"
U510 2, recoil 110 f5
U500 4, 620mb 5-9, PX 6.5
SM8 46.10, 50.12, PX 6.5

SM8 raw 56.14, 62.10 s400
Scotty Newport 2, Pro Platinum

Pro V1x left dash

• 2 weeks later...

I see you have the 915F in 16.5*. I bought a 915F in 15*, but adjusted the hosel to be 16.5*. Wouldn't that be essentially the same thing?

I'm coming off using a Ping G25 16.5* and I'm not seeing nearly the same launch, but the shafts are quite different too. Stock Ping stiff vs. Rogue Black 70 S in the 915. It's not that I dislike the 915, but it's just very different. I'm wondering if I need to trade the 15* for a 16.5*.

[quote name='tyro' timestamp='1428990637' post='11354021']
I see you have the 915F in 16.5*. I bought a 915F in 15*, but adjusted the hosel to be 16.5*. Wouldn't that be essentially the same thing?

I'm coming off using a Ping G25 16.5* and I'm not seeing nearly the same launch, but the shafts are quite different too. Stock Ping stiff vs. Rogue Black 70 S in the 915. It's not that I dislike the 915, but it's just very different. I'm wondering if I need to trade the 15* for a 16.5*.
[/quote]

Does the sure fit system adjust loft without changing face angle? If so its pretty close, if I remember right the 16.5 is a smaller CC head but I'd need to go searching for where I read that because a quick look at the titleist page and I don't see it. I've got mine at 42.5" as well not that it matters much.

Neither I nor anyone that's tried it launches it crazy high, typical 3 wood flight. I can get it up higher with a cut shot, the fact I can actually do that with the 915 when my stock shot is a draw is awesome. The F and the hybrid both feel fade biased to me in the stock setting.

I know 3 low caps who have hit mine a few times and immediately ordered, all went with the 16.5. None of them were launching it too high to my eye and its relatively low spin for a 3 wood so no ballooning. Might be worth a look for you.

Edit-some of it could be the shaft too. I tried DI and DJ 7 S in 3 woods and got much lower launch, the rogue could be playing stouter than the stock TFC from ping was.

Had a couple firsts the other day, went -5 on 4 par 5's when I can't recall a time I even went -4 in the same round. Also hit it on the first three in 2 + 16 greens so I was basically +1 GIR. Not just on too but tracking to 6' short of double Eagles, only made one of them. Lipped out on the last par 5 to an inch from 100, there was potential for something crazy like DJ's -7 on the 5s last week. Unfortunately I didn't make much all day and I may take a traditional putter out today for the first time in a few years. Also scared the cup on two of the par 3's, one stayed a couple inches away and I did manage to make that for my only non par 5 birdie. Missed 5 footers on both greens I missed and another 6 birdie putts from 3-15 feet, -4 68 when all said and done, equal to my career best. Not bad for the first skins game of the year at my CC, happy to see my good rounds are carrying over into semi competitive events. I've been at or under par ~ half my rounds this year and I've probably matched my number of rounds under par from last year already. Tournament season starts next weekend with a match play match, I've got a 36 hole event at both courses Oakland Hills in a month that I really want to play well in too.

Thanks Swiz. Damn! Sounds like you are the ready for some tournament play for sure. Impressive!

I never thought about the 16.5* being a smaller head. That would make sense, since it is essentially a 4-wood. I think the Sure-Fit hosel is supposed to change loft without messing with the face angle. In that case, I think I'll stay with the bigger-headed 15* and just jack it up. Not that this has any bearing on my ability to wire to wire at Augusta at 21...which would be half a lifetime ago for me...BUT, After looking at Jordan Spieth's WITB, it looks like he has his 15* 915F jacked up to 16.5*. His head is most certainly a tour issue, so who knows what the real loft is.

I think I will try a different shaft. The Rogue just does not launch high enough for me.

Thanks for the info! More birdies!!! :)