Moving Backwards in Time - Why do you play vintage clubs?

while you all pine for the cars of your youth I'll make you all proud.... I still own mine. I'm the original owner of this Blue Oval, first vehicle I ever bought brand new, she'll be 25 next year.....

'93 Bronco XLT

(seldom driven much anymore, we got two other Chevrolet and just bought a RAM, but always spotless)

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while you all pine for the cars of your youth I'll make you all proud.... I still own mine. I'm the original owner of this Blue Oval, first vehicle I ever bought brand new, she'll be 25 next year.....

'93 Bronco XLT

(seldom driven much anymore, we got two other Chevrolet and just bought a RAM, but always spotless)

Wow, nice going. If I still had my '58 Chevy, it would be 60 years old. I did have it for 20 years.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

SWMBO and daughter #1 in our 52 year old Corvette. Now I need some 52 year old hickory sticks to throw in!

20170707_155701.jpg20170728_172355.jpg

Now I know for sure I gotta make a run north...pretty women....great car....and an appreciation for the best golf equipment ever made!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Backatchya PING brethren!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Too much time on my hands, due to the government's misguided regulatory demands placed on retirees, with respect to the amount of gross income one can accumulate during a calendar year.

Short version: I have reached my "earnings ceiling," and in order not to penalize myself I have taken a 3 week leave of absence.

Before thinking I am perhaps on my pity pot please rest assured that I am not, however, the idle time has given me more than ample opportunities to do some serious soul searching and inward reflecting.

One of the areas I have been engaging my limited brain power in has been this particular topic, and in the spirit of full disclosure I would like to submit the following:

One reason that I use vintage equipment is to "play" the "game" of golf, rather than "work" at the sport of golf.

Vintage gear, persimmon and blades, or hickory, allows me to enjoy the game without a constant whipping of my inner child. I am at liberty to hit a wayward shot, laugh at myself afterwards, and continue on in the spirit of etiquette that I find befitting for the game, whereabouts if the same folly of a shot occurs with a modern bag the rage builds until the cork pops off the bottle and the demon genie dances his devilish gig.

Like I said in the beginning:

Too much time on my hands.

Randy, you truly are an "old school rocker"!!! Tommy Shaw would be proud of you!!!

I see what you did there....

Augie, I'm glad you saw the symmetry! That Randy is quite the great seer, sage and soothsayer!

It only figures that a Chicago-ite like you would work in a Styx/Tommy Shaw reference on WRX.

BTW - do you remember all the battle of the bands, every weekend around the Chicago area, where it always boiled down to either Styx or REO Speedwagon???

Always advertised on WLS - 890 on your dial. Larry Lujack.....

Memories....of the way we used to be

Funny you mentioned WLS I could actually pick it up some nights when I was a kid in Charlotte and could pick up WOWO in Ft Wayne Indiana too. I know back when I was trucking Chicago had one heck of a oldies station on FM I think it was called Magic 96. Actually a DJ from Charlotte on WAYS 61 went to work up there Bob Murphy--- Murphy in the Morning show. You also had a guy named Dick Biambe (spelling?) on there. I could pick it up on the truck radio around Gary Indiana. Listened to it all the way around the loop if I was going North it would fade out around the Wisconsin line

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Thanks Kevin!

WLS and WCFL were the 2 stations I grew up with 25 miles NW of Chicago. They played all the Top 40 hits in the '60s and '70s until FM (Underground) radio gained popularity and caused their demise. Life was so much simpler and better then.

Does anyone remember the DJ, John "Records" Landecker?

DJ Dick Biondi used to sing, "On top of old pizza, all covered with cheese..."

Ok that is the way you spell it and he also sang it on the Magic FM station too---- When I was in the Navy I went to Engineering "A" school in Great Mistakes oops I mean Great Lakes Naval Training Center--- Went straight from boot camp in Orlando to there ---- in mid December-- Talking about a Southern boy freezing his nads off

Love playing/bagging irons from the 70s - prefer simple looking blades/muscle backs.

Was going to give you a like on that one Chief but I guess since you are a Marshal you do not have a like button--- But will give you a like manually

He started laughing and gigglling every time he said "weiner"...he was still trying to get through the commercial by the time I got to the school. I actually stayed in my car ('61 Falcon) to see how long it would take him to finish the commercial.

:) My old man had a '61 Falcon, said he bought it used around '64 (before my time) and drove it until the mid 80's. It was powder blue (cloudy n faded) and had rust holes so large in the passenger floorpan that my sister actually put her foot thru it one time (not injured, thank goodness). After that Dad put an old license plate there to cover the hole and drove it another 5 years. I found out many years later that he didn't even like the car, just liked the gas mileage and the fact that it was paid for. I don't recall him washing that car even once in the entire time he drove it. Side note, I've read that the 6 cylinder Mustang was essentially the same car as the Falcon -- except body of course -- when it came out in 1964.

Yep the same unibody chassis with the shock towers in the front. In fact the Mustang used the same chassis until 69. I had a 63 Falcon Sprint that came with the 260CI V-8 stock. I put a 302 in it and later on the small block 351 Windsor. It was never a daily driver though it was more or less a playtoy. A lot of guys back in the day raced the Falcon on dirt track in the modified 6 cylinder classes. Falcon bodies got scarce and a lot of them simply put 65 66 Mustang sheet metal on the Falcon chassis. Let me clear one thing up though when I say unibody that term is wrong in today's terms. They actually had a full chassis but the shock towers in the front tied into the front firewall and floor pan and they had full upper and lower "A" frames on the suspension just like a full sized Ford

Ya know, sometimes, when these threads take a turn off the tracks, so to speak, it ain't a good thing.

I've enjoyed how this one has gone for a while now.

And Stu, you inspired me to create another alter ego moniker: Harry Nadzoff

BITD, when someone put the 302 into the Falcon, they didn't put a "5.0" chromey looking thing on the side of the front quarter panels....you kinda knew what it was by listening.

There weren't any dumb things like "resonators" either....full on Thrush for the real throaty sound!

Ya know, sometimes, when these threads take a turn off the tracks, so to speak, it ain't a good thing.

BITD, when someone put the 302 into the Falcon, they didn't put a "5.0" chromey looking thing on the side of the front quarter panels....you kinda knew what it was by listening.

There weren't any dumb things like "resonators" either....full on Thrush for the real throaty sound!

That small block 351 Windsor was the one with the "goodies" First Ford motor I ever built. That 302 was as stock as it could be came out of a 4 door 71 Torino but it did have the Motorcraft 4 barrel carb.

The infamous Steve Dahl got his start in radio on WABX here in Detroit. Mid-70's or thereabouts. Before moving on to Chicago. "Disco Demolition Night" anyone? Between games of a twi-night doubleheader against....the Detroit Tigers. There wasn't a second game.

Blowed up real good.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thanks Kevin!

WLS and WCFL were the 2 stations I grew up with 25 miles NW of Chicago. They played all the Top 40 hits in the '60s and '70s until FM (Underground) radio gained popularity and caused their demise. Life was so much simpler and better then.

Ok that is the way you spell it and he also sang it on the Magic FM station too---- When I was in the Navy I went to Engineering "A" school in Great Mistakes oops I mean Great Lakes Naval Training Center--- Went straight from boot camp in Orlando to there ---- in mid December-- Talking about a Southern boy freezing his nads off

Be thankful you're not in town today...-7°F early this morning and windchills in the -20° range.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

That small block 351 Windsor was the one with the "goodies" First Ford motor I ever built. That 302 was as stock as it could be came out of a 4 door 71 Torino but it did have the Motorcraft 4 barrel carb.

Stu,

Once had an '80 Mustang SVO that came with the 4 cylinder turbo- after catalytic converter blew up, probably from some bad fuel and sucking pieces into turbocharger, Dad and I built new motor mounts and put a 351 Windsor in there with a "specially built" cam. Car ended up being sold after I passed an unmarked NCSHP Mustang, that was being driven by my girlfriend's dad?.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

The infamous Steve Dahl got his start in radio on WABX here in Detroit. Mid-70's or thereabouts. Before moving on to Chicago. "Disco Demolition Night" anyone? Between games of a twi-night doubleheader against....the Detroit Tigers. There wasn't a second game.

Blowed up real good.

Doug,

July 12, 1979

$.98 Admission with a DISCO album in hand!

White Sux forfeit game 2...HAHA!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

STU,

We had Magic 104 WJMK (104.3) for 20 years which then became Jack FM here in Chicago.

Robert Murphy (Murph in the morning) was on WKQX (101.1) for 10 years from '83 - '93 and then on WLS-FM 94.7 till 1 year ago.

OK I used to hang out some with Bob Murphy and his sidekick Larry Sprinkle back in the day in Charlotte. That is it Magic 104 in Chicago my wife told me that and that I had it mixed up with the oldie goldie station in Upstate SC called Magic 96--- Oh well senior moment but then how in the hell did she remember? She is older than I am. Up the East coast we have a string of stations called Bob FM I guess it is the same thing as Jack FM

STU,

We had Magic 104 WJMK (104.3) for 20 years which then became Jack FM here in Chicago.

Robert Murphy (Murph in the morning) was on WKQX (101.1) for 10 years from '83 - '93 and then on WLS-FM 94.7 till 1 year ago.

OK I used to hang out some with Bob Murphy and his sidekick Larry Sprinkle back in the day in Charlotte. That is it Magic 104 in Chicago my wife told me that and that I had it mixed up with the oldie goldie station in Upstate SC called Magic 96--- Oh well senior moment but then how in the hell did she remember? She is older than I am. Up the East coast we have a string of stations called Bob FM I guess it is the same thing as Jack FM

It's ok...senior moments!!!

Time for STU FM to begin broadcasting!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Thanks Kevin!

Be thankful you're not in town today...-7°F early this morning and windchills in the -20° range.

It is cold and wet enough for me right now @ 32 and raining-- We had a new electric furnace installed about a month ago-- It went out yesterday-- My buddy is in the HVAC business and he sold and installed it for us--- He was out of town yesterday but is on the way in--- I told him not to kill himself getting here because we have a good working wood stove and plenty of wood-- I buy those bundles of wood at the store in the spring when they go on sale for $2 a bundle and I have as of right now 25 bundles left

Thanks Kevin!

It is cold and wet enough for me right now @ 32 and raining-- We had a new electric furnace installed about a month ago-- It went out yesterday-- My buddy is in the HVAC business and he sold and installed it for us--- He was out of town yesterday but is on the way in--- I told him not to kill himself getting here because we have a good working wood stove and plenty of wood-- I buy those bundles of wood at the store in the spring when they go on sale for $2 a bundle and I have as of right now 25 bundles left

That's our weather in November, rainy and cold...it's absolutely bone chilling!!! Stay warm, we use wood stoves/fireplaces here as auxiliary heating sources.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Perhaps the last , what, 15 posts or so, should be moved to their own thread? I mean it's interesting and all but it really doesn't belong here and it appears popular enough to support it's own thread. Just a thought.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Perhaps the last , what, 15 posts or so, should be moved to their own thread? I mean it's interesting and all but it really doesn't belong here and it appears popular enough to support it's own thread. Just a thought.

Tim,

I take responsibility for "starting" the stray...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Well, per topic, I think most of us here are attracted to vintage clubs because of our penchant to wax nostalgic. I think it ties in perfectly with the stray thread we've been indulging.

Me, I just picked up my first set of Ping Eye2+ irons. I have a few Ping Eye2 sets, including BeCu and their water pipe taper shafts. But, hey, I really like the feel and look of the + irons. Took me by surprise, really. I assumed they were just Eye2s with stronger lofts, but they have their own look and engineering. Can't wait to hit them. Oh, they also have my fav ZZLite shafts.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Just finished building my walking set. I put some Matrix Studio 94 graphites in my Eye 2 irons. Had to go up 3/8" in length to get them to D0. I wanted to add tip weights, but the hosels are too short for those lead weights with the 1/4" bottoms. The PING ZING driver is so sweet feeling! PING Moonlite carry bag and a hickory shafted blade putter from my hickory set complete the kit.

20171229_114908.jpg20171229_114834.jpg20171229_114825.jpg

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

My decision to play and collect classic clubs was born of a few different factors.

To be frank, I just hit the classic stuff better than the new stuff. For reasons unknown, small headed persimmons and blades work better for my swing than oversized titanium woods and big GI irons. I think it may be a weight thing. Lightweight clubs are tough for me to stay in tempo with and square up.

More than that though, I love the idea of having top of the line equipment that costs me next to nothing. With a 2 year old at home and student loan debt (I'm 27), I can't really afford to get the latest and greatest every year. I love being able to build multiple classic bags full of pro level clubs from back in the day for figurative pennies now.

Finally, I got kind of burned out on modern gear when, right out of college, I went about assembling the bag of clubs I could never afford growing up. Not knowing enough at the time, I purchased irons and wedges that just a year or two prior were suddenly deemed "non conforming" for their grooves. Learning that the clubs I had paid what was a lot for me back then were suddenly deemed "not ok" in some respect by the governing bodies really stung me. Even though I'll never be good enough to ever compete on the level that demands conforming equipment, it still felt like an indictment on the clubs themselves. Playing classic clubs alleviates any internal issues I would have playing non conforming gear.

Sorry for the long winded reply, winter boredom getting the best of me!

My decision to play and collect classic clubs was born of a few different factors.

To be frank, I just hit the classic stuff better than the new stuff. For reasons unknown, small headed persimmons and blades work better for my swing than oversized titanium woods and big GI irons. I think it may be a weight thing. Lightweight clubs are tough for me to stay in tempo with and square up.

More than that though, I love the idea of having top of the line equipment that costs me next to nothing. With a 2 year old at home and student loan debt (I'm 27), I can't really afford to get the latest and greatest every year. I love being able to build multiple classic bags full of pro level clubs from back in the day for figurative pennies now.

Finally, I got kind of burned out on modern gear when, right out of college, I went about assembling the bag of clubs I could never afford growing up. Not knowing enough at the time, I purchased irons and wedges that just a year or two prior were suddenly deemed "non conforming" for their grooves. Learning that the clubs I had paid what was a lot for me back then were suddenly deemed "not ok" in some respect by the governing bodies really stung me. Even though I'll never be good enough to ever compete on the level that demands conforming equipment, it still felt like an indictment on the clubs themselves. Playing classic clubs alleviates any internal issues I would have playing non conforming gear.

Not to mention the pride we get when shooting good scores with vintage gear. My hickory shafted mashie 5 hits high straight shots as good as my Eye 2 8 iron, and as good as my G10 9 iron.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Not to mention the pride we get when shooting good scores with vintage gear. My hickory shafted mashie 5 hits high straight shots as good as my Eye 2 8 iron, and as good as my G10 9 iron.

Good call! For me, it's a lot like the wood bat sound in baseball. A good shot just feels more satisfying when it's accompanied by a nice thwack from a persimmon wood or forged blade. The tinny sound from modern clubs is like an aluminum baseball bat, just not the same.