2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Moving Backwards in Time - Why do you play vintage clubs?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly forgot to mention, "because this is what I can afford", as a factor which also influences my taste in equipment.

Hear hear! Yep plays a huge part.....not paying £300 for a driver!! My wife would actually kill me!

LOL. Yeah, but......"affordable" clubs (i.e cheap) proliferate like rabbits. Adding up the $$ spent on acquisition is probably not a prudent endeavor on my part. I operate in the singular "ignorance is bliss" mode (of affordability). And the Mrs. still threatens me with bodily harm when something is added to the ever expanding hoard. "But Honey, they were such a good deal"!

It's fun. I enjoy it. So much to try. Really need to sell some stuff. Wish I never found this forum.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

My wife and I have reached an agreement. I am allowed any 3 sets of clubs for my personal stash. All other clubs and club sets must be offered for sale.

(Fortunately for me that doesn't mean they have to be offered at a reasonable price. :D )

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to play stuff that has been around a while. You could argue that all my clubs are modern but they are not the latest or greatest. I also don't use a full set which seems lost in the modern game. I like simple, zero adjustability clubs with some forgiveness.I do it because I enjoy the game playing this way. It seems natural. Also as some have said I refuse to spend 300 bucks on a club when it will be marked down in months. Older equipment just has more character.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only just starting to get into buying vintage irons, being only 22 there's a lot of clubs which i need to catch up on! I'm going to try and go down the Macgregor route for the irons, I've always loved the look of them and they can be had fairly cheap if you keep an eye out. Already I've managed to get:

Macgregor Tommy Armour Silver Scott 915

Macgregor VIP 1990

Macgregor VIP 1025M

Macgregor Tourney Classic Pro-82

So there's still plenty out there! Think i'm going for some Muirfield 20th's next! :golfer:

Club: Chevin Golf Club Handicap: 2
Driver: Ping G410 LST 9* Driver Shafts: Tour AD P9003, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 3 Wood: Ping G410 LST Tour AD P9003X, Matrix Black Tie 8M3 X, Tensei Orange 70X 2 Hybrid: Ping G410 17* KBS Prototype 85X 3 Hybrid: Ping G410 22* KBS Prototype 85X Irons: Callaway X Forged UT 24* Apex MB Raw 18’ 5-9 Iron KBS TG1 100 Wedges: Callaway MD Forged 46* KBS Tour Callaway MD4, 52*, 58* KBS TGI 100 Putters: Odyssey Arm Lock 1 Wide plus many other Arm Locks haha

Good choice. I am much older, but wasn't around for these irons or persimmon as I started with metal woods.

From my experience, I've found 1960s Macs the best perfomance-wise. A lot in the shaft and have shoved modern S300s or S400s in some.

Haven't found models like the step-soles and things that came later as solid, but have very limited experience of the VIPs and later stuff.

Step soles= diabolical... I have found them to be extremely hard to play more than one shot type a round with. Have to really dial in the strike area to keep from digging, so, for me I have a hard time switching shot shapes within a round with them. In their defense have tremendous respect with their ability to flight the ball quail high with 3/4 punch shots. Just have to be sure not to butcher the whole hog when all you want is a strip of bacon.

I'm only just starting to get into buying vintage irons, being only 22 there's a lot of clubs which i need to catch up on! I'm going to try and go down the Macgregor route for the irons, I've always loved the look of them and they can be had fairly cheap if you keep an eye out. Already I've managed to get:

Macgregor Tommy Armour Silver Scott 915

Macgregor VIP 1990

Macgregor VIP 1025M

Macgregor Tourney Classic Pro-82

So there's still plenty out there! Think i'm going for some Muirfield 20th's next! :golfer:

I can see a UK MacGregor classic fourball taking shape for the summer :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I also like to think of it as recycling. We can pour money and resources into making a bunch of new clubs, or we can use a ton of gear that has already been made.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I own 5 cars. Four of them were made in the mid 90's. They all have their share of devotees. They are in better than average condition and they were all way cheaper and way funner to acquire than new cars.

My golf equipment is largely modeled after this way of spending money. So if I am a "vintage guy" it's not out of nostalgia. It's more, buy what people still value just do not pay retail for it.

As to the original intent of the thread.

Case in point: I recently purchased a NOS set of modern forged cavity backs that had gotten rave reviews. I was able to aquire them for an amount that I couldn't pass on, even if for nothing else but to flip them. I took them out to the range today to compare them to one of my vintage blade sets. Within the first go round of club in head to head competition I knew there would not be a new champion.

The new irons performed well, just not to the degree that I am accustomed. From ball flight to "feel" the old set ruled the day.

Not to say the new irons are junk, far from it, but too bland for my tastes.

1966 Golfcraft Continentals 1-SW, MacGregor Super Eye-O-Matics 1,3,4..

(**I believe it was 1967 when Titleist got into the "iron business", buying Golfcraft and stamping Titliest into those Continental forgings." **)

"Old friends" got me thru high school and college golf. Still have them on the wall. Got them out and played them about 10 years ago. Although I'm a little reticent about hitting the old persimmon with today's "hard balls", this Topic has inspired me to take them out again, probably next week! Thanks :-)

The "Continentals" are the clubs that got me going down the vintage road full time a few years ago. Still have them. And the SEOM's were one of the first persimmon sets I went back to as well. Love me some M85 2 wood. No need to worry about the balls, enough info on here to steer you in the right direction for persimmon.

For those that play the vintage clubs, what balls do you use? My wife was at an auction and brought me home a 15 pack of unopened KRO FLITE and Maxfli DDH balls. Not being a golfer she didnt realize the difference in those balls and todays clubs and balls. I like the idea of hickory but only have a few clubs but with the older clubs I already have sets of those.. Toying with an idea of starting a vintage club league but then I realize I have enough issues playing my Ping g30's.

Play Wilson Duos with vintage/classic and modern. Nice ball at a reasonable price. Going to give the Duo Spin a go this season as well. Heard good things.

Have some NOS balatas that I bring out for "special" occasions. Today's modern balls are better though.

Staff Elite 50's are often cheaper than the Duos as well, and really give nothing up to the Duos (white only though - the orange and yellow are a bit firmer).

I've hit a few of those old balls - neither the DDH or Kro Flite were known as soft balls in the day.

And back to the original theme of the thread, another reason I play vintage clubs is because I get to meet fellow humans (even if just through a computer) that still have values and a view of the world that is consistent with my own.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Yep Steve, $7.00 per box cheaper. Decent ball as Scooter mentioned. Particularly with persimmon. I didn't care for the 50's when playing them with the modern metal woods. Felt sort of....."mushy".....thought that I was giving up a bit of distance off the tee. But at $13.00 a box, as good of a value ball as you'll find.

Agreed Fella,

If someone offered me a box of Duos or 50s, I'd take the Duos. A much livelier ball, and a bit nicer off the putter. At that $13/dozen spread though, the 50 seems to work fine.

Funny as I don't mind it off modern though. I love that marshmallow feeling. In fact, I used to love the old Zips (the 3 piece ones, not the Wal Mart 2/$20 2-piece ones) because they felt so balata to me.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I reminded myself of the "Why" to this in the last few days.

A week ago I took my modern and classic sets to the range and hit the clubs head to head. A very small distance advantage to the modern set and a very large feel advantage to the classic. Finally said screw it and have put my modern set up for sale.

In the last couple days I picked up a Mizuno RSF BeCu Wedge to play with my Cimarrons. I had a Nike Sumo2 Driver come in with some other clubs I had picked up for resale. Took all to the range today. The Mizuno RSF BeCu Wedge was everything I hoped for and I was able to use it to make several different type of shots. It will stay in the bag. I pulled the SW I had been using as well as the Golden Ram 11 Recovery wedge. That brings me down to 13 clubs and I can put the 2 Iron back in. I hit the Sumo Driver and hit it well. I put it back in my bag pulled and hit my Titleist 975D... better. Putting the Nike Driver up for sale too.

I play vintage because the modern clubs do not compare in looks or feel.

I play vintage because I do love it when someone checks the bag and says "Wow!"

I play vintage to stick it to corporate big $$$ golf.

I will play vintage until I find something that I can consistently and appreciably play better.

And then, I will still play vintage occasionally for all the other reasons.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Played a practice round at The Plantation Course at Edisto yesterday. Relatively short, even from the tips, which we were not playing from. Course opened in early 70's. Typical marshland and intercostal design of a few of our Lowcountry tracks.

I have played it a handful of times over the years, but haven't since my conversion back to persimmon. It was an Open Championship kind of day, minus the rain, winds constant at 20-22 mph, with recorded gusts as high as 35 mph.

Wind was playing havoc with the high launch, low spin Titanium boys, while the wood, either #1, or #4, delivered a tight piecing draw all day.

The course, as the majority of all but the semi-recently designed ones, was not made to play bomb and gorge, and in my opinion, they can't be played that way effectively, but by higher skill set players. What I am trying to say is that I believe your regular Joe would have much more fun, and a better result by playing persimmon and some type of iron that would allow for more than high launch ball flight. There are still a good amount of tracks out there where a premium is put on strategy and ball control, and when played the way they were intended to be played they are remarkable in their own right, and one can then, and only then respect the design genius.