2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Moving Backwards in Time - Why do you play vintage clubs?

Old Clubs are just COOL! My first full set was a yard sale full bag, old pull cart(skinny white wheels) and Wilson X31's(D,3,4 & 5 woods 2-PW Irons Muscle back, MINT, I sold them for $125.00) and it came with my first "Wee" Scot Putter(I now have 6), Peter McEwan Hickory shaft Putter and a bunch of other clubs, I paid $15.00 for all.

My second full set was purchased brand new 1991-94 Titleist Tour Model Irons 3-PW, I sure wish I never sold them because I miss them. I sold them for $110.00 missing the wedge, they were near mint when sold. Now I play PING ZING Green Dot's, the original ZING, I love them. I still play my set of Big Bertha WarBird Soleplate Woods(driver, 3 & 5) with Memphis 10 shafts.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always intrigued by the Zings, even more so than the eye2s. So much so, that I just purchased a set on the bay. Couldn't resist the price even if all I do is flip them for a profit, but I will take them out and see what all the fuss was, and is still about.

Had the zing 2s for a while after I'd used the eye 2s and I thought the zings were better.....more solid when hit. The older pings are sooo much better than the newer offerings they have today

I like new stuff to play with. It just needs to be old, only new to me.:)

Great way of thinking......same mind set! I wonder if the taylormade os bubble irons are old enough to be classic vintage?? Seen a set for £40, and I'm tempted

Well I got them.......couldn't resist!!! Gave me a whopping tour bag too, so that's going on eBay! Get £20 and these taylormades May only cost £20 in the end ha ha

Randy, have no fear if you decide to take them out. Where the Eye2s can still punish an errant shot, the Zings are as forgiving a club as I've ever hit. I won't say you can't move the ball with them, but if there's a way to do it, I haven't figured it out.

Shot my best round on a tough course last year using my Zings cold.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I was always intrigued by the Zings, even more so than the eye2s. So much so, that I just purchased a set on the bay. Couldn't resist the price even if all I do is flip them for a profit, but I will take them out and see what all the fuss was, and is still about.

Had the zing 2s for a while after I'd used the eye 2s and I thought the zings were better.....more solid when hit. The older pings are sooo much better than the newer offerings they have today

I'll be curious to hear the hitting report on the Zings/ZIng 2s then. I've had a bit of a Ping thing going this winter. I like the Eye 2s, but am drawn back to the i3s on grounds of feel. I don't know how much is the Cushin shaft, how much is the rubber bung in the head and how much is overall head design but I've always found these irons very solid feeling indeed. Different, but just as satisfying in their way as a good blade. Probably not as forgiving as either Zing model - but not as "interesting" looking either.

Scott,

if I hit a straight shot it's a mistake, so I am a bit concerned I may end up double crossing myself a few times. Oh No, that's way too off swingpath, and then the hands try to "fix" it. Bad juju...

Just concentrate on making a good swing, and the ball will take care of itself.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I'm so ADD it hurts. Golf is one of the few places in my life I can actually focus on something for more than 30 seconds.

Probably because golf lets me use shiny objects in motion to put brightly colored objects into motion.

But yeah, I honestly felt when swinging the Zings like I was throwing a fry pan at a beach ball. Yes, it was that easy.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I'll be curious to hear the hitting report on the Zings/ZIng 2s then. I've had a bit of a Ping thing going this winter. I like the Eye 2s, but am drawn back to the i3s on grounds of feel. I don't know how much is the Cushin shaft, how much is the rubber bung in the head and how much is overall head design but I've always found these irons very solid feeling indeed. Different, but just as satisfying in their way as a good blade. Probably not as forgiving as either Zing model - but not as "interesting" looking either.

Can only go on my experiences but I loved the eye2s, just one of the all time greats. But I found the zing 2s much better to hit (this is going back to 04-05 time) and I really couldn't go back to the eye 2s after using zing 2s. I only used the I3s for about a month, brilliant clubs and quite straightforward to hit.....but I found them really heavy compared to the zing 2s. In other words I really struggled with them, but 12 years on and a much shorter swing later on I think the I3s would suit me quite well now. But as I said before, all the earlier pings up to the g2s are so much better than the modern offerings. And that includes the original karsten 1 to 4s, which were a brilliantly made iron......in fact the iii rails were outstanding (still got a set) and they were made in the late 70s! But you can't go wrong with older pings

Had a chance to take the Zings out to the range this morning. They didn't arrive in time for the Thursday event. Been eyeing them since Saturday, but have been unable to do anything except swing them in the backyard. City mixed four-ball was this weekend and the range was closed to all but the participants.

Went through half a bucket and stopped. Didn't want to wear out the pixie dust, or whatever Karsten brewed up when he designed them. Far and away the easiest iron to strike a ball with I have ever had the pleasure of swinging. Point and shoot, as simple as that. Very impressed by the feel as well. I was expecting thud and chunk city feel wise, but to my suprise the exact opposite was the case.

Fish in a barrel, and one CAN work the ball with these as well. I think these may put some coin in my pocket and pay for themselves very quickly.

Had a chance to take the Zings out to the range this morning. They didn't arrive in time for the Thursday event. Been eyeing them since Saturday, but have been unable to do anything except swing them in the backyard. City mixed four-ball was this weekend and the range was closed to all but the participants.

Went through half a bucket and stopped. Didn't want to wear out the pixie dust, or whatever Karsten brewed up when he designed them. Far and away the easiest iron to strike a ball with I have ever had the pleasure of swinging. Point and shoot, as simple as that. Very impressed by the feel as well. I was expecting thud and chunk city feel wise, but to my suprise the exact opposite was the case.

Fish in a barrel, and one CAN work the ball with these as well. I think these may put some coin in my pocket and pay for themselves very quickly.

Just reading this is making me think......why did I get rid of mine???? Like you I'm tempted to have a look on eBay and see what's there....plus it's my birthday soon, so why not treat myself

Not a chance bs. Lol, I know where my loyalties lie. However much they have piqued my interest, I know what they are, and what they are not. They are not '71 Buttonbacks.

That said, they will be rotated into an all ping bag for a week from Thursday's senior event. I have an eye2 1,3, and 5 that are absolute money. But, if I can find a Zing one, or two iron before then I may play sans laminate.

I know know what all the fuss was about back in the day, and it has given me a new perspective on form and function.

I have always considered myself a pretty decent iron player, but these are so easy I am wondering why their not illegal.

I play vintage clubs for most of the reasons stated in earlier posts, plus:

1. I spent most of my working life [figuratively] putting out fires, shovelling sh**, and cleaning up other peoples' messes. I like the control vintage clubs allow, the accurate 'report' and results from a good swing, that nobody can take a good shot away from me. I think that while everybody should aspire to hit the ball long and straight, that there should be a certain amount of skill required. Modern eq is too much like school systems today--anyone who shows up "gets a 6 ft trophy;" anyone who swats at a mutated golfball with a Coors Light can on fishing rod expects a 300 yd drive and crystal. Don't even get me started on prosthetic putters!

2. The Zen of a well-struck shot [as opposed to, what is the sound of 1-hand clapping, Grasshopper?]

Well Said Sir!!! I am dying over here "Prosthetic Putters" that is awesome!! but so true.

Not a chance bs. Lol, I know where my loyalties lie. However much they have piqued my interest, I know what they are, and what they are not. They are not '71 Buttonbacks.

That said, they will be rotated into an all ping bag for a week from Thursday's senior event. I have an eye2 1,3, and 5 that are absolute money. But, if I can find a Zing one, or two iron before then I may play sans laminate.

I know know what all the fuss was about back in the day, and it has given me a new perspective on form and function.

I have always considered myself a pretty decent iron player, but these are so easy I am wondering why their not illegal.

Ha! I thought you might say something along those lines, and also that you'd be able to relate to my winter bag-shuffling.

I've been hitting mostly Pings at the range over the cold months - Eye 2s and i3s. I do like them - and as you say, form very much follows function in these things.

But I've had two outings on the course, each very different from the other. For one, the Pings came out and I had a bit of a lacklustre day ball striking wise. Nothing too drastic, but nothing to get excited about. Second time out, I brought out the spoils of winter thrifting - a very nice condition set of c.1990 Staff Fluid Feels.

Nothing wrong at all with the Pings, and I certainly don't want to blame them for any less than stellar ball striking. But I just took so much more vivid pleasure and satisfaction out of hitting the Staffs - they're everything I want from a set of irons that I'm going to play for fun, even if they don't provide the last word in forgiveness.

Had another, somewhat similar, experience tonight at the range comparing the Eye 2s to another set of blades, this time '99 Hogans.

I hit both clubs in 4 iron and 2 iron to compare. I like the Pings, but I was actually shocked at how good the Hogans were in comparison. I could have anticipated how good they felt out of the middle, but I was quite taken aback by how much more often I seemed to find the middle. They really seemed easier to put squarely on the ball. And across the board, good shots and not so good shots, I would say I was getting a consistently better ballflight out of the Hogans. I haven't checked the lofts, but at stock settings the Ping 2 iron is actually the weaker lofted club, but was absolutely flying lower and I'm pretty sure, carrying shorter.

The Pings are fitted with ZZ Lite shafts which I gather are pretty damned stiff. The Hogans were fitted with Apex 4s. Maybe I need to give the Pings a chance with a different shaft, although I suppose you could argue that back in the day that was how those clubs were sold. As it stands though, I am once again reminded of how bloody brilliant those Hogans are, when I really had been thinking that I might need to wait for spring proper and days out on the dried out course to get the blades back in play.

bs,

I played a practice round with the Zings today at the course we will be playing next week, and although they did what they were told to do, they still felt nothing like the Buttonbacks. Now, mind you, there are some shots I would attempt with them under certain course conditions that I would never try, unless out of desperation, with the Wilsons.

And if I got a bit too handsy I could see left city with the Zings, but, as for as getting to the course hungover and pull, point and shoot, well I don't see how they could hurt me unless my game was in the toliet totally.

The Zings are fitted with the KTM shaft which I kinda like.

And I tried to hit the eye2 2 iron, but it wasn't nearly as pure as any of the blade 2's I carry.

I have a story from my days of hickory touring in the early noughties.

I was at Halmstad just north of Helsingborg in Sweden running a hickory day with a Volvo full to the brim with 80 sets. The Pro shop tried to persuade the lady assistant to take part and after much cajoling, she did.

She came back with a grin from ear to there saying she had played great, holed a bunker shot with a skinny niblick, gave me a big hug and said, 'Chris, you have given golf back to me!'

S...... was a LPGA tour Pro, with wins under her belt but she said that the golf she was playing now was not like when she started. Now with graphite shafts she couldn't feel where the clubhead was in the swing and was reliant on her coach and the ball flight (no Trackman then!) to tell her what was going on. This led her to become disenchanted with the game.

Playing hickory, with it's emphasis on touch and feel, changed all that.

She got back into the game and is now a Director of junior golf in Sweden. We recently got in touch again.

Still gives me goose bumps just thinking about it, never mind writing :yes:

Had another, somewhat similar, experience tonight at the range comparing the Eye 2s to another set of blades, this time '99 Hogans.

I hit both clubs in 4 iron and 2 iron to compare. I like the Pings, but I was actually shocked at how good the Hogans were in comparison. I could have anticipated how good they felt out of the middle, but I was quite taken aback by how much more often I seemed to find the middle. They really seemed easier to put squarely on the ball. And across the board, good shots and not so good shots, I would say I was getting a consistently better ballflight out of the Hogans. I haven't checked the lofts, but at stock settings the Ping 2 iron is actually the weaker lofted club, but was absolutely flying lower and I'm pretty sure, carrying shorter.

The Pings are fitted with ZZ Lite shafts which I gather are pretty damned stiff. The Hogans were fitted with Apex 4s. Maybe I need to give the Pings a chance with a different shaft, although I suppose you could argue that back in the day that was how those clubs were sold. As it stands though, I am once again reminded of how bloody brilliant those Hogans are, when I really had been thinking that I might need to wait for spring proper and days out on the dried out course to get the blades back in play.

Same experience. Played my first 9 of the year last Saturday. Winter grass, cool temps, rusty swing, damp spots. Figured the modern Pings MAY be the right choice to play given the situation. Thru the overhauled Apex II 9i and '99 Apex E in the bag just in case the swing was up to it. Middling along for a couple of holes. Third, in the fairway, 110 yards to the pin. Took the 9i out, center of the green. Effortlessly. Couple of holes latter, 100 yards uphill. Took the E out, lined up the shot, no over thinking it, swing, straight as an arrow over the pin to about 8'. Effortlessly. Dare I say, felt like it was point and shoot. With a "feel" that the Pings could never match by way of direct comparison.

Like you posted, was wondering if the swing would be up to the task of playing the Hogan blades, especially this early in the season. Two swings does not make a round. But, on those two, indeed the Hogans were "bloody brilliant".

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

For me, part of the beauty of Pings is that a lot of people would play better with kind of heavy clubs with slightly fatter than average grips and firm to stiff shafts.

Set up any heads like this and they'll feel good, and a lot of older clubs are heavier, stiffer and have slightly fatter grips than average Joe would be sold by average Pro.

So glad i was able to stumble onto persimmon golf today and then the classic thread here on golfwrx...

Why I play vintage gear

-aesthetics

-feedback

-economics( great feeling not giving corps $1000 for a club)

Something to be said for not being in such a hurry to buy the latest gadget and to make do. I think our society as a whole has lost the secret of being content. I feel like this is a small part of that.

Walking all the time ties in with the mystical side for me using vintage as well. Very peaceful to tee it up at sunrise with a sunday bag of 9-10 sticks. Just me and the big guy going for a stroll...

It's funny you posting that, and I do agree. But I recently read an article online entitled "The Fairway Wood is Dead" which got me thinking. I think the article is quite well written, and the author seems a smart guy. But the perspective that he has on the game and the industry just seems so foreign to my experience it could be written in a different language.

He says that the fairway wood is "dead" because there are no earth-shattering improvements from year to year, model to model. His perspective seems to be that without some marketing buzz, a product or entire category, is dead or dying. Now, from an industry standpoint, I have no reason to dispute his logic or his assessment. But it strikes me that lots of posters in this part of the forum are the living embodiment of those stubborn, die-hards clinging to our old fairways just because they work as well as anything newer. Except, that logic is extended across the whole bag. And instead of old, we use the adjective classic. And instead of mourning, we celebrate it.

You piqued my curiosity B-S with your post. Assuming the article is the one on MGS (Edit: won't let me post the name). Another instance where reading the internets does not coincide with my humble game. If anything, I'm swinging back towards using fairway woods, especially in higher lofts. Had been using a 4W only for a few years. With the next progression up being Hybrids; 19*, 23*, 27* all in service at one time or another. But I can't say that I ever fell in love with them. Played them because that seemed to be the popular opinion. Especially versus long irons.

The 4W, more because of the shaft rather than the head, was replaced. Found a 3W that was fine off the deck. Because it was a matched acquisition, have a 5W as well. The 5 has been something of an outlier, not quite fitting gap-wise. But based on a prior discussion around here, extended it out to 43". Haven't had much course time with it yet. But, I believe this will be a REAL player. Especially on some of the shorter course I frequent.

And I've always had a 7W in some form or fashion around. I find the current one easier to hit than the corresponding hybrid, in all conditions except for heavy rough. Found a Cally Heavenwood 9W that may be placed into service as well. Once I change out the ladies flex shaft.

All this being a discussion of modern metals. Before even getting into discussing the attributes of wood fairways. Example being the recent discussion on various flavors of Ping woods.

So perhaps the general thesis of that article is towards the current state of affairs with OEM's and their ability to sell fairways. Given the hybrid hype. Or that marketing claims are no longer being substantiated by real-world results. Still find that a suitable fairway, with a preferred head and shaft combination, is easier to play than a corresponding hybrid. Both in terms of distance (need all that I can get) and accuracy (they're straight enough for my purposes).

If there is one thing that I've learned in these chronicles, it is to generally ignore most of what I read on the outside. Much of what I experience in golf these days seems to run counter to the prevailing "Conventional Wisdom". Fairways evidently can now be added to that list.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs