Swing Weighting.....How Important is it?

Recently played in a Member/Guest event and had a funny thing happen to me at this event.

Well it was the first day of the event, shot gun start and after my second tee shot of the day I thought my R11s driver felt and sounded a bit different to me. A quick look at the weight ports revealed my feelings. My 8 gram toe weight was missing!

Here I am at a M/G event on the first day and my trusty driver is now 8 grams less in head weight and overall weight......Oh wow! Now what? Only choices were, play it or 3 wood. Well I played it and to be honest, it was not a huge deal even though I should have freaked out like most WRX Ho's would. have. I am guessing that I played with about a C-7 range Swingweight that day instead a normal and must have D-3 to D-4 range.

Just goes to show you that SW might be important, but not as much as you think in order to still get good results. By the way, put the 8 gram back in for the next two days....results were better, but not much! Sound and feel were better as one might think since there was no hole on my head now!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How sensitive each person will be to such a change can vary quite a bit. Just because it didn't phase you doesn't mean it also would not effect everyone else. Now, I do agree that many people here seem to get overly paranoid about such things. However, you'll never know excactly how much such a change will effect you until you actually try it.

Yikes...that's crazy! 8 gr. would knock off 4 SW points, all things being equal...if you were D3, you probably dropped to C-9 or so...some people are very sensitive, but few can tell the difference in 1-2 points...you have to remember it's also a combination of overall swing weight (which is basically a ratio) and total club weight....

[quote name='robert horneman' timestamp='1374509974' post='7513954']
The weights in your driver are primarily there to allow you position them in the toe to promote a fade or in the heel to help a draw.
They do have a minor effect on SW since they are part of the overall weight of the head. Certainly 8 grams lighter will be felt.
[/quote]

8 grams is 4 SW points...not minor at all...doesn't matter where the weight comes from

[quote name='robert horneman' timestamp='1374509974' post='7513954'] They do have a minor effect on SW since they are part of the overall weight of the head. Certainly 8 grams lighter will be felt. [/quote]

What? Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are trying to convey?

They have just as much of an effect as removing/adding any other kind of weight in the head. 8 grams is still eight grams and is still worth 4+ SW points if it comes out of the head.

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M4 13.5 "Small Version"  w/ BB S+ 70
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70
Taylormade P790 3 Iron w/ DG AMT White R300
4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind
Odyssey MXM 1W