Cobra Amp Irons

cassidybond

Anyone playing them? I got some brand new from 2nd Swing coming in the mail, well except the 4 iron which I don't need anyway. I loved them when trying different irons. Haven't heard a lot about them though. What's the deal?

Ping G15 Driver 10.5*
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 15*
Cleveland HiBore XL 19*, HiBore XLS 22*
Cobra AMP 5-GW Irons
Titleist 54*/11*; 58*/6* Wedges
Cleveland Classic II Putter

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great for me - long (even for lofts), straight (after I adjusted lie angle for my swing), consistent, great from thin and dry and wet and thick lies. Kuro Kage shafts seem to have brought trajectory down for me, which is what I wanted.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I'm hoping trajectory will be okay for me therefore I only got to hit the regular shaft, which was a little high. I ordered the stiff though. I figured for the price I'll still make out okay if I have to replace the shafts

Ping G15 Driver 10.5*
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 15*
Cobra AMP 5-GW Irons

I had a set and they were very good. Feel was good for a cast iron, the soles were versatile, and of course they were extremely long and forgiving for the thin profile. The only thing I didn't get along with were the stock shafts - dynalite 90's - too light. I got rid of them because I didn't want to mess around with finding .370 tip shafts to replace the stock shafts. That was a terrible mistake and I'm really wishing I had them back right now. Extremely underrated irons.

I love mine. I picked up probably 10-15 yards on every club (that might be because of the dyna-lite shafts.) I played Nike blades before and switched to these because i don't practice as much as i used to.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3w: Nike Vapor Fly
2i: 716 T-MB
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50* 54* 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2016 SS Flatso 1.0
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

I have been looking for a more GI type iron to give a little more forgiveness....After testing out a lot of different irons the pro at the local range came out the other day and set a club on my bag and told me to give it a rip and see what I think. It was a AMP 7i. After about 45 minutes alternating between it and my personal clubs I am pretty much sold. I was hitting off grass, I felt that turf interaction was pretty good, feel was decent, ball definitely wanted to go high, straight and long. Took a few swings to get used to the dynalite shaft, but I actually liked it after about a dozen swings. Good forgiveness out on the toe and thin, which are my two main misses. And I thought at least looking at the 7i top line and profile was pretty good considering the performance...
I am sold and will be picking up a set pretty soon.

Thanks for all the input. I'm watching my shipmemt details several times a day. Expected arrival is Thursday. I'll let you know how I play Saturday and Sunday. In the meantime keep giving feedback or personal reviews.

Ping G15 Driver 10.5*
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 15*
Cobra AMP 5-GW Irons

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a couple rounds under my belt now and the best range visit I've ever had this week. Hit every iron in the set. Long high ball and straight. I had a slight slice with the 5 iron. That's my fault though. I was getting beyond 175 with my 6 iron which is great for me. My eye 2 set, 6 iron was my 160 club. I know stronger lofts but still good results. Mishits are great with these things. No longer is a mishit 50 yards. They're much longer. I'm playing all weekend so I'll put up a little more formal review. Well if anyone cares to hear it I will.

Ping G15 Driver 10.5*
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 15*
Cobra AMP 5-GW Irons

[quote name='ThirdCut' timestamp='1375236330' post='7572978']
I had a set and they were very good. Feel was good for a cast iron, the soles were versatile, and of course they were extremely long and forgiving for the thin profile. The only thing I didn't get along with were the stock shafts - dynalite 90's - too light. I got rid of them because I didn't want to mess around with finding .370 tip shafts to replace the stock shafts. That was a terrible mistake and I'm really wishing I had them back right now. Extremely underrated irons.
[/quote]

This is my concern as well. I currently use S3's and have considering moving to the Amp Cell's but I am not a fan of the shaft at all. I already hit the ball high enough as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on stock shafts? Noodles or?

I play a variety of shafts in my current irons, and stiff in my woods and hybrids.

Current steel are uniflex nippons in Callaway fusions and S flex soft stepped 2 times in a set of x forged 2009s.

Is the 90gm steel shaft a 'real' stiff or ??

I may well end up reshafting with graphite due to pain issues, but would like to see if can tolerate steel again.

Thanks!

[quote name='jaw2k9' timestamp='1377730512' post='7762007']

I play a variety of shafts in my current irons, and stiff in my woods and hybrids.

Current steel are uniflex nippons in Callaway fusions and S flex soft stepped 2 times in a set of x forged 2009s.

I may well end up reshafting with graphite due to pain issues, but would like to see if can tolerate steel again.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I use KBS Tour S soft stepped once and when I had these I was fitted with the stock shaft stiff. I had no issue with ball direction or ball flight.

Callaway Rogue Aldila Rogue
Callaway Rogue 3w Aldila Synergy
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 2 Aldila Synergy
Mizuno 919 Forged 4i - PW Dynamic Gold 105
Callaway MD4 Raw 52 S-Grind
Callaway MD4 Raw 56 S-Grind
Callaway MD3 60 PM Grind
Toulon Memphis

Thanks - the tour KBS, isn't it a much stouter shaft, than say a DGS300? Which is what I used to play the uniflex in my other set of irons are full bore hosels (callaway) and ifI recall correctly, that can make them play stiffer than regular bore hosels.

I will likely demo them tomorrow or Friday, but wanted a few opinions too.

Thanks.

[quote name='jaw2k9' timestamp='1377734455' post='7762333']
Thanks - the tour KBS, isn't it a much stouter shaft, than say a DGS300? Which is what I used to play the uniflex in my other set of irons are full bore hosels (callaway) and ifI recall correctly, that can make them play stiffer than regular bore hosels.

I will likely demo them tomorrow or Friday, but wanted a few opinions too.

Thanks.
[/quote]
I haven't played the DG S300. If I remember correctly, when I was fitted using the Mizuno system it gave me the two shaft options of KBS Tour and DG both soft stepped. Not sure if that means much and like I said I am going by memory from a few months ago.

Callaway Rogue Aldila Rogue
Callaway Rogue 3w Aldila Synergy
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 2 Aldila Synergy
Mizuno 919 Forged 4i - PW Dynamic Gold 105
Callaway MD4 Raw 52 S-Grind
Callaway MD4 Raw 56 S-Grind
Callaway MD3 60 PM Grind
Toulon Memphis

Thanks - I appreciate your time getting back to me. I am leaning to the R flex, we will have to see how it goes.

You saw what I play in earlier posts, noticed that my distances were down in my current irons partly due to the lofts they play at.

While I play stiff flex in all my woods and hybrids, I have been in uniflex and 2 times soft stepped in irons for a few years.

I am not able to really test them out in real world conditions - so it may be interesting.

I am much more deliberate in my irons than using my woods - not sure if that's a good thing or not.

If I had to make a decision today, I think I'd go R flex.

Whichever I choose, I'll likely wish I had gotten the other!

Well against my better judgement...I purchased a set of cobra amp cell irons 4-gw (which in modern conversions is really 3-pw? based on lofts?).

The price was stupid cheap, they are blue, and it was $270 shipped, brand new and real - not knockoffs, I can't see them going for much less.

I was planning to buy the 5-pw (silver) from golfsmith with coupon for $318 shipped, but this was 2 extra clubs and $50 less.

I did go with the R shaft - so that may be a mistake, but I am prettly deliberate in my iron swings so that seems to lean me in the direction of R shafts.

I looked up the hosel size on golfworks, they claim they are dual size (both taper and parallel fit, should I need to make a change.

If they work for me (as I hope), I do wonder what to make of my bag. Presently my irons are sandwiched between a 54 and 58 wedge and a 3 and 4 hybrid.

The new irons, I would assume the 4 and 5 could be pulled because the lofts on them are closer to 3 and 4, and the gap makes sense due to the large space between the pw and 54.

Will report back once I've used them a bit.

[quote name='jaw2k9' timestamp='1377730512' post='7762007']

Thanks!
[/quote]

those shaft are no noodles imo. I still have the cobra amp that I use time to time. I currently play the amp forged with the stock kbs stiff +. I don't have issues of ballooning with the 90s in the corba amp. If ur ballooning u probably have a steep AoA or u should be playing extra stiff in the first place. You can easily flight the ball down and still hit the distance u would with that club if u were gonna hit it normally unless I guess ur trying to hit ur 7 iron 200 yards haha. Just my 2 cents.

No I don't balloon my shots - unless I hit a fw fat.

Anyway, the only thing even close to ballooning is the softstepped vs proto in my 7 iron (hit it more than the rest), between the weak loft and the shaft - it goes VERY high. And that's fine but it's always 1 and 1/2 clubs short - and I can't get out of my mind.

These, with the stronger lofts and proper shafts - I suspect no issues to speak of, to be honest, I am pretty eager to play them.

I have no issues with the ball ballooning nor do I feel the shafts are noodles. I will say that I hit the ball high, but they're long. And it's not too high by any means. In my research with finding the right irons for me I found that I hit the ball lower than the G25 and higher than my original Eye2 set. They were very similar to me to the XHot in distance and similar to the AP1 in flight. I like the feel and top line of the AMP the best and honestly I just hit them better. Price was right too. I hit all stiff OEM stiff shafts in each iron.

Ping G15 Driver 10.5*
Cleveland FL 3 Wood 15*
Cobra AMP 5-GW Irons

I am a high ball hitter, and the Kuro Kage shafts are just right for me. Ballflight is high, but great distance and no ballooning. Really starting to get dialed in after two months of very little play (combo of rain and work).

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Coming from a set of 2009 Burners with PX 5.5 shafts I recently bought a set of the amp cells with PXI 6.0. Ball flight is a bit higher than the Burners and about a half club longer. More forgiving and a much softer feel. Shot my best round ever in my second round with them. The long irons are so easy to hit. I did try them with the stock shafts and the KBS tour. I liked the stock shaft but it was just a bit on the light side. The PXI outperformed the KBS in distance and dispersion for me. I would have got the stock shaft over the KBS tour. It was not a noodle. It held up well and performed fine (not as good as the PXI). I just didn't like the weight. I didn't bother getting the gap wedge as I tend to use my gap wedge around the greens a lot but with the stronger lofted PW I kind of wish that I had as I have a pretty big distance gap between my PW and Mizuno MX200 gap wedge. I've been trying a Burner 2.0 gap wedge that I had played with my 09 Burner irons and that is working out okay so I may order up the matching gap wedge to my set. Anyone else having gap issues at the bottom of their bag?

Arrived yesterday.

I had hoped the seller would change the color on me, but I am not complaining - I received the blue set - looks fine. 4 - GW $280 shipped, brand new in original packaging.

Went to the range hitting off mats. Not good, as in painful to me today - but I brought with me my Fusion 7 iron and 5 iron to make some spot comparisons.

As expected the Amp Cells go farther - and higher - neither of which are bad things.

My old irons are 1/4" longer - I think I can deal with it - and maybe over the winter I will extend - but for now (1 session) perfectly ok.

Good shots feel like good shots, bad shots don't and they let you know they were bad - but they don't go terrible.

I was off aim wise - it made me crazy, but mostly straight maybe the most slight draw, as in maybe 2 yds at most, barely perceptible to me anyway, but there were very few of those. For me the last time I had irons that were too soft, I was dead pulling them - so if that's my miss with too soft shafts these are fine - as someone else said, not noodles.

Overall - very happy, will play them for 27 this weekend.

I do have an issue though.

I carry in my current set 3,4 Hybrids 5- pw, 54, 58 irons. These are stonger lofts, and still I think my 8 iron was longer than the old 7 - not much maybe 3 or 4 yds - hard to tell in reality - ranges are finicky that way.

I assume I remove the 4 and 5 amp cell irons and still end up with basically the same set up as I have now - gap wise.

If you have an opinion - please weigh in!

[quote name='jaw2k9' timestamp='1377879966' post='7772013']
I believe the lofts are so jacked up that if you don't use their gap wedge you will have much too large of a gap in the bag.

This set is more like a 3-pw than a 4-gw due to lofts.

I will have trouble figuring out what to keep/play when I reconfigure my bag.
[/quote]

I find the same thing with my S3's. I use the GW and then a 54 but I would probably be better off with a 52.