Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Haven't been playing particularly well....long story. But played with my boys this morning and shot 84. Drove it like crap and made absolutely no putts. It was a beautiful day so I threw the Vintage Jones bag on the cart with Hogan Redlines, Palmer Peerless Driver, Hogan 3 wood, Ginty and Bullseye putter to go play some more and just try to hit it solid. Ended up playing another 18 hole round and shot 81. Go figure.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Out today with my 71 W/S Button Back set after getting rained out yesterday. Decided I needed to play a shorter course so I hit The Glades with them ( https://www.colonywe...lfclub.com/golf ) Oh How I've missed Them! I've been playing some longer Championship length Courses using my 'New' W/S FG Tour F5 Forged Irons of late as I wanted to get a good feel for them before Peak Season. As good as they feel, and they do feel very good, it amazes me that the 71's still feel better to me. Had a beautiful draw working all day and was hitting my Persimmons and long irons well. I was very strong today with my short irons and pitching and chipping was excellent with the R61. The Sam Snead Pay-Off was HOT today which lead to my low score of the year on this course of a 6 over 71. As this course is across the street from the clubhouse and is not heavily patrolled it's not uncommon to sneak in a few extra holes (I normally play an extra 5.) I thought about it but decided I better call it a day after 18 so I didn't F Up what had been a great round for me. I am at an age now where it's become less uncommon for me to make good decisions. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Out today with my 71 W/S Button Back set after getting rained out yesterday. Decided I needed to play a shorter course so I hit The Glades with them ( https://www.colonywe...lfclub.com/golf ) Oh How I've missed Them! I've been playing some longer Championship length Courses using my 'New' W/S FG Tour F5 Forged Irons of late as I wanted to get a good feel for them before Peak Season. As good as they feel, and they do feel very good, it amazes me that the 71's still feel better to me. Had a beautiful draw working all day and was hitting my Persimmons and long irons well. I was very strong today with my short irons and pitching and chipping was excellent with the R61. The Sam Snead Pay-Off was HOT today which lead to my low score of the year on this course of a 6 over 71. As this course is across the street from the clubhouse and is not heavily patrolled it's not uncommon to sneak in a few extra holes (I normally play an extra 5.) I thought about it but decided I better call it a day after 18 so I didn't F Up what had been a great round for me. I am at an age now where it's become less uncommon for me to make good decisions. ;)

Tim, I enjoy reading your posts in this thread.  I too have found the original buttonbacks to be my unofficial favorite irons.  By unofficial I mean that while i won't proclaim it, no matter what different irons I try I always seem to return to the 71's.  I've settled into a happy perpetual dual between the Buttonbacks and a new set of Fg-59 Tour Blades I bought two seasons ago.  I mix-n-match between wood and metal woods, and new and old irons. 

If you and Stu really want to mess with the tourists you should try persimmons with fancy new everything else.  That really blows people's minds.  When I play old equipment people generally think I'm just a cheapo with a garage sale kit.  When I play my new irons and wedges but sub in my Muirfield persimmons I tend to get a lot more questions and strange looks.  Haha! 

Tim, I enjoy reading your posts in this thread. I too have found the original buttonbacks to be my unofficial favorite irons. By unofficial I mean that while i won't proclaim it, no matter what different irons I try I always seem to return to the 71's. I've settled into a happy perpetual dual between the Buttonbacks and a new set of Fg-59 Tour Blades I bought two seasons ago. I mix-n-match between wood and metal woods, and new and old irons.

If you and Stu really want to mess with the tourists you should try persimmons with fancy new everything else. That really blows people's minds. When I play old equipment people generally think I'm just a cheapo with a garage sale kit. When I play my new irons and wedges but sub in my Muirfield persimmons I tend to get a lot more questions and strange looks. Haha!

LOL in most folks eyes my "modern" stuff is old-- MP-68 blades which were made in 2012 and the 2013 Forged X Callaways--- Even my "modern" metal woods are "old' My Titleist 915 D-2 is what 3 generations old now? THe Homna G1-X is now at least 2 years old and we are not going down the path of how old my V-Steels are either. One day I was on the range at my home course. I was wearing a brand new out of the bag T-Mag R-5 hat I got from Goodwill for $1. a couple of tourist golfers showed up looking like they had stepped off a TM tour van clothes clubs bags and all. One of the smart a**es remarked "R-5 gee whiz that is old" I told him you think that is old go over in that vintage Titleist Staff bag and you will see old. I was bagging a 905 driver and a couple of V-Steels along with my 62 FC-4000s.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

a couple of tourist golfers showed up looking like they had stepped off a TM tour van clothes clubs bags and all. One of the smart a**es remarked "R-5 gee whiz that is old"

Golf seems to bring out the "hard-on" in so many people...so sad

It's true and the Tourists and Snow Flakes here tend to be the worst. On that same course several years ago I was playing an old set of Wilsons, 75's I believe, and had a threesome join me and get snarky about my equipment... On A Freaking Executive Length Course! "Can't you play anything better." My response: "We aren't playing Doral here gentlemen and I'm pretty sure I can beat you with these" and did. As I've said before, I'm at an age where I don't suffer fools gladly and that type of crap brings out the competitor in me.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

a couple of tourist golfers showed up looking like they had stepped off a TM tour van clothes clubs bags and all. One of the smart a**es remarked "R-5 gee whiz that is old"

It's true and the Tourists and Snow Flakes here tend to be the worst. On that same course several years ago I was playing an old set of Wilsons, 75's I believe, and had a threesome join me and get snarky about my equipment... On A Freaking Executive Length Course! "Can't you play anything better." My response: "We aren't playing Doral here gentlemen and I'm pretty sure I can beat you with these" and did. As I've said before, I'm at an age where I don't suffer fools gladly and that type of crap brings out the competitor in me.

Never understood why anyone else would even care what you were playing with. I mean, it's not like you are doing a photo shoot or something like that. Good nite! Just worry about your own game people!

Never understood why anyone else would even care what you were playing with. I mean, it's not like you are doing a photo shoot or something like that. Good nite! Just worry about your own game people!

Oh you'd be surprised, Doug and it's not always bad...

A few years back I was playing at a local track with a lady friend and we were joined by another couple about 5 holes in. They were very friendly and quite capable golfers. I remember them for a couple of reasons; his name was Bob and her name was Bobbie as in short for Roberta. How often do you get that?

He worked at the course doing their club repair work and was a retired cop. I was playing my old component set of BeCu cavity backs with an old set of Big Bertha War bird woods. He perked up immediately upon seeing those clubs. It started a conversation.

One thing lead to another and then he tells me that he thought he recognized those clubs because he had built them! How cool is that? I had bought them years ago from an old bowling buddy and it turns out that Bob was my buddy's club builder back in the day.

What I remember most was that he told me to NEVER sell those clubs! They were ahead of their time and there isn't anything out there today that will play better! :cool:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Oh you'd be surprised, Doug and it's not always bad...

A few years back I was playing at a local track with a lady friend and we were joined by another couple about 5 holes in. They were very friendly and quite capable golfers. I remember them for a couple of reasons; his name was Bob and her name was Bobbie as in short for Roberta.

He worked at the course doing their club repair work and was a retired cop. I was playing my old component set of BeCu cavity backs with an old set of Big Bertha War bird woods. He perked up immediately upon seeing those clubs. It started a conversation.

One thing lead to another and then he tells me that he thought he recognized those clubs because he had built them! How cool is that? I had bought them years ago from an old bowling buddy and it turns out that Bob was my buddy's club builder back in the day.

What I remember most was that he told me to NEVER sell those clubs! They were ahead of their time and there isn't anything out there today that will play better! :cool:

Now THAT I can understand. We have had similar experiences with a positive notice of vintage clubs. It's the negative stuff I don't get, other than people are so into themselves that it matters what they look like and how others look playing a game.

Vanity...

Down here it ain't only golf but Tourons in general where ever you go

I bet you have a lot of good stories about parting Tourons from their money Stu... :)

I bet you have a lot of good stories about parting Tourons from their money Stu... :)

I will plead the 5th on that one your honor :taunt:

After a lot of rubbish play recently I was pleased to hit some decent shots for a change today.

Playing Walter Hagen "The Haig" laminated 1, 3 and 4 woods, Ben Sayers "Ray Floyd" blades 3 to SW which I re-gripped the other day, even though the shafts were pretty rusty, I just don't get the chance to find old donor shafts.

Set finished off with the trusty Spalding Cash-In putter.

Playing the Monthly Medal and it was one of those "what could have been" days.

I parred the first two holes then had a double on the third but then parred the next 8 holes to be 2 over after 11. An awful fat on the shortest hole the 12th but I recovered for a B and was still hanging in there come the short par four 16th, an okay drive saw me 50 yards from the green but in an old divot, not a deep one but it got in my head and I quit on the shot leaving it short of the bunker, duffed the next one in and I won't bore you with a tale of my short game woes but I ended up being relieved to come off with a 9.....

Finished on 84 gross nett 71, 1 under par which is where the CSS usually sits.

As some consolation I should still get a cut after Stableford adjustment on the 16th and be back down to 12 handicap.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

After a lot of rubbish play recently I was pleased to hit some decent shots for a change today.

Playing Walter Hagen "The Haig" laminated 1, 3 and 4 woods, Ben Sayers "Ray Floyd" blades 3 to SW which I re-gripped the other day, even though the shafts were pretty rusty, I just don't get the chance to find old donor shafts.

Set finished off with the trusty Spalding Cash-In putter.

Playing the Monthly Medal and it was one of those "what could have been" days.

I parred the first two holes then had a double on the third but then parred the next 8 holes to be 2 over after 11. An awful fat on the shortest hole the 12th but I recovered for a B and was still hanging in there come the short par four 16th, an okay drive saw me 50 yards from the green but in an old divot, not a deep one but it got in my head and I quit on the shot leaving it short of the bunker, duffed the next one in and I won't bore you with a tale of my short game woes but I ended up being relieved to come off with a 9.....

Finished on 84 gross nett 71, 1 under par which is where the CSS usually sits.

As some consolation I should still get a cut after Stableford adjustment on the 16th and be back down to 12 handicap.

Well played, 84 with a 9 on the card. Phew! See you at Pannal and you aren't getting any shots from me! :)

As forecast in the 'UK equipment ' thread I sallied forth to compete in the seniors academy course championship,two laps of the 9-holer,medal play.

Card is 3,3,4,4,4,3,4,3,3,sorry not to have yardages for you but it is a 'measured course' and therefore valid for handicap adjustment.

My bag contained a Sparco persimmon 3-wood,John Letters Master Model 5,7,9,sw and Mills hickory shafted putter.

Ammo consisted of a Maxfli HT100,a Slazenger +1 and a mix of Titleist Tour Balata 90 and Professional 90.

The greens are hand watered and six are steeply sloped.

73 - 13 = 60 with 3 doubles thanks to 'new' putter which is standing in naughty corner.

Letters irons ok but have AP44 shafts which I don't like.

Sparco and Titleist balata were the stars of the day,it felt like old times on the 3rd when I made a lovely swing,ball climbing with a baby draw.......over the fence and OB! LOL

Reload,adjust stance aiming at left side and repeat....perfect! Duh!

Back on the main course on Wednesday,all Mac bag,895 or Custom blonde woods and Muirfield irons.

Pictures;

1) The first with a carry over the 'Slough of Despond'....well,some sort of pond.Flag is directly beneath tall tree behind green.

2)5th hole and my playing partners,my ball is on the green about 12' below the cup,the slope can be judged by the line of pale grass in the background.

3)Looking back across the 7th fairway and green,beyond the fence is the main course and beyond that the North Sea.

4)My approach into the 3rd green cut into the rear of the ridge,anything too strong runs away off the green and into a ditch!

5)Today's bag.

6)9th green looking back to the tee which is on the raised area to the right of the trees,another carry over the pond and bullrushes,not for the faint of heart on a windy day!

Today's comic moment (other than my OB),one of my playing partners is a 23 handicap and his putter was sizzling,where I was making tap-in pars he was holing 8,9,10 footers and as it's a bit of a fun competition we were encouraging him to keep going but he stopped walking and shook his head.

My other pal Lou asked what was wrong...."Well I don't know if I want to win,they might cut my flippin' handicap......is there any money for winning?".

Lou confirmed that there was and the previously downcast face was transformed.

He's not even from Yorkshire,he's Danish,came over on a rape and pillage holiday and liked it so much he stayed.

Tim, I enjoy reading your posts in this thread. I too have found the original buttonbacks to be my unofficial favorite irons. By unofficial I mean that while i won't proclaim it, no matter what different irons I try I always seem to return to the 71's. I've settled into a happy perpetual dual between the Buttonbacks and a new set of Fg-59 Tour Blades I bought two seasons ago. I mix-n-match between wood and metal woods, and new and old irons.

If you and Stu really want to mess with the tourists you should try persimmons with fancy new everything else. That really blows people's minds. When I play old equipment people generally think I'm just a cheapo with a garage sale kit. When I play my new irons and wedges but sub in my Muirfield persimmons I tend to get a lot more questions and strange looks. Haha!

Actually DJaid who is a newer poster over here has done something like that. He has the newer Hogan Ft Worth irons in with his Nicklaus Muirfield persimmon woods

Actually DJaid who is a newer poster over here has done something like that. He has the newer Hogan Ft Worth irons in with his Nicklaus Muirfield persimmon woods

Stu: I saw that too and immediately thought of this thread. He's got a beautiful setup there. Those new Hogans look pretty nice too. Every review I've read so far raves about them.

Yesterday, being a holiday in the states, I hijacked my youngest son and drove done to Edisto for a practice round before the Palmetto Seniors event this Thursday on the same course.

A nice country drive of a bit over an hour along the tidal basins and marshlands of The Lowcountry.

The course was in good condition, despite a bit of standing water. Only complaint was they have increased their daily fee play due to new management, which has paired them with a “sister” course, Stono Ferry.

PB Citation persimmons 1-3-5, new to me Citation irons 2-PW, and removed my Wilson wedges and inserted a Hogan Special 56, and a Hogan 60. Wedge substitution due to wanting a different sole and bounce configuration for the course. Fluted shaft, flanged Bullseye rounded out the bag.

Course, being on the Intercostal Waterway, is exposed, and even though it’s a shorter layout, stated yardage was around 6200, with the wind and no roll, gave me all I could handle with the vintage gear at that yardage. The two longest pay 4’s., played dead into a 2-3 club wind, which effectively turned them into 5 pars. Also, the longest 3 par was wind in the face as well.

Tee ball was a bit shaky on the front, tried to steer it too much, but, on the back the drive came alive as I just let it go and was delightfully surprised at the pop I was getting off the Citation.

The irons were okay, don’t think they’ll know the Buttonbacks out of the vintage bag, but, really satisfied with the Hogan wedges and the fact that I could play more shots with the lower bounce and different sole than the Wilson’s. Also the fact that they have decent grooves helped.

The star of the show was the Bullseye. Distance control was spot on and didn’t have more than 3 feet for a second putt all day. No 3 putts!!!!

Ended up carding an 84, which given the conditions I was extremely happy with.

Some good vibes going into Thursday’s tournament round with the Palmetto group.

^^^^ Randy get your butt in gear and get on up here!! Ha Ha!! For all you other folks today I finally get to meet Randy in person. He is coming up to get a set of Staffs I saved for him and he does not realize how many Wilson wedges and possibly a Hogan or 2 he may be getting. Yep looking forward to meeting him in person today have been so since talking with him Sunday afternoon.

To the two of you. Enjoy your time together, which I'm quite sure you will. Envious. Checking out Stu's Stash would be quite the adventure. Would love to spend some time with y'all. Playing at golf, kibitzing, perhaps running into some of Stu's buds. Simply hanging out together for awhile. Maybe someday.

And agree, big fan of Hogan wedges. Playing several different versions periodically. They seem to be so well balanced. Picked up a newish wedge this year. Wanting to see if fresh grooves would make much of a difference. The reality is it doesn't play all that different than the old Hogans. In fact, maybe not as good.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

To the two of you. Enjoy your time together, which I'm quite sure you will. Envious. Checking out Stu's Stash would be quite the adventure. Would love to spend some time with y'all. Playing at golf, kibitzing, perhaps running into some of Stu's buds. Simply hanging out together for awhile. Maybe someday.

And agree, big fan of Hogan wedges. Playing several different versions periodically. They seem to be so well balanced. Picked up a newish wedge this year. Wanting to see if fresh grooves would make much of a difference. The reality is it doesn't play all that different than the old Hogans. In fact, maybe not as good.

Thanks Fella yeah I would like that. Randy came up and we had a big time in the shop and then he my wife and I went to a nearby Pancake House and had a late breakfast or lunch or brunch as they call it. What a delight. Randy brought me up a care package too even though I did not expect that. He gave me several Macgregor Putters including one I had sought after for a while a Nicklaus JN-100. He also brought me up a beautiful Blonde Penna Model 1 with a factory Penna Aldila Graphite shaft. He also gave me a Mac CF 11 iron which are rare as Hen's Teeth. Maybe the most intriguing thing was the set of Slazenger Crown Sterling irons. I had seen some of the guys from across the pond had posted them in the past but had never seen them in person. Those irons are beautiful!!----- But the best thing about the whole day was I finally got to meet Randy in person after all these years. I can tell you guys he is one jam up good guy. After all these years I met my first WRXer in person---- And you guys know me more than likely sometime today I will hit the course even if it is at Twilight with a set of Crown Sterlings , Mac 11 iron, Nicklaus JN 100 and I forgot the Mac Keyhole 3 and 4 woods he gave me. I am going to fish out one of the other bags and put together that set and call it the " Old School Rocker" set how fitting

Every now and then in life we cross paths, if, the stars line up, with kindred souls. Yesterday was such a day. I can honestly say my life is better for meeting Stu and his lovely wife.

The big man, and his little lady are pure salt of the earth.

His “Little Shop of Horrors” is truly a mans mancave, and after having meet him and seen the shop I can imagine what mad diabolical experimentation takes place on his tools of the trade in that place.

I know have a good rescue set of ‘74 Wilson Staffs, along with a number of Wilson JP wedges, and a wonderful old Bullseye.

The breakfast, lunch, brunch, whatever you call it, was simply fantastic, and I believe one might call Stu, the unofficial mayor of the pancake house. Hearing him and the owner talk about the first time Stu meet Mickey Spillane at the pancake house was priceless, as were hearing some of his tales about golf, his old man, and his cronies back in the day.

I must have passed the eye test, have been invited to go up and play with Stu and his buddy Bear and Bear’s brother.

If any of you yahoo’s can do yourself a favor and head up, or, down, as the case may have it and spend some time with some good people.

Great stuff Guys. Enjoyed reading the recaps. You're description of Stu's inner sanctum (aka "Little Shop of Horrors") sounds exactly what I've conjured up in my mind that it would be like. For a couple of Navy veterans (NTM classic club aficionados), not surprised that it was time well spent for both of you.

Oh my! An invite to play with Stu, Bear and his Bro? You have to take advantage of the opportunity. One can only imagine. I'd probably be so nervous, wouldn't be able to hit a golf ball. Preferring to tag along, listening to the stories, observing, laughing. Wouldn't want to miss one minute of the goings-on by having golf get in the way.

'Da Mayor. Ha. Yet another moniker to add to Stu's list of credentials.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

LOL The Mayor of the Pancake House---- That is better than that old song "Leader of the Laundromat" Surely some of you old farts remember that bubble gum top 40 song. Randy did not get to meet our "Mayor" of the Trailer Park oops Mobile Home Community we live in. He does not play golf but is one cool cat rides around in his golf cart with his Jimmy Buffett shirts on etc. Usually during the day if he sees my shop open he stops by and shoots the breeze.

BTW Randy I got to looking at those Crown Sterling's last night after finally getting home. I did not measure them mechanically but I think what was throwing you off on them was the blade seems a little longer heel to to than say a compact Mac or Staff for that matter. My little wife walked my legs off after we parted. We went to the farm market like she said when we parted. Of course It is in the neighborhood of Akers Golf which I frequent a lot. Of course we stopped. I looked at stuff and picked up a couple of grips one to do Bear's wedge and one for my Gap. She did look at what she terms "cute little Ladies golf clothes" We then left and went to the Goodwill shocker I did not buy any clubs was nothing there but clone junk. I did find 2 outstanding golf books one about Ben Hogan and a nice one with some of the greatest golfers of all times that goes back to the 1800s. then went to Wal Mart. Wheew what a day!

Lol, sounds like you did have a walk-a-thon after I left. I saw the sign for Akers Golf, and if I thought I could have navigated the traffic, it being on the wrong side of the road for me, I would have stopped in myself. I believe that’s the place I picked up some Cleveland cg4 tours a few years back.

Did you get your honey at the market?