Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Damn - I missed my chance for a "two-fer" yesterday.

Not sure that one day would be near enough to hear all of Stu's stories and/or actually be able to take-in all of his stuff in the shop.

But, we will definitely have to get together for that balata ball 3-par thingy - and Waffle House after (never before, or I'd look like Billy Casper trying to swing like Johnny Miller)

Lol, sounds like you did have a walk-a-thon after I left. I saw the sign for Akers Golf, and if I thought I could have navigated the traffic, it being on the wrong side of the road for me, I would have stopped in myself. I believe that's the place I picked up some Cleveland cg4 tours a few years back.

Did you get your honey at the market?

Oh yeah took my Honey to the market and got a jar of Honey too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Damn - I missed my chance for a "two-fer" yesterday.

Not sure that one day would be near enough to hear all of Stu's stories and/or actually be able to take-in all of his stuff in the shop.

But, we will definitely have to get together for that balata ball 3-par thingy - and Waffle House after (never before, or I'd look like Billy Casper trying to swing like Johnny Miller)

Randy just saw about half of it we did not go to the storage building across Business 17. I look like Billy Casper body wise anyhow. On the par 3 thing we can take a staff bag full of vintage wedges and balata balls from the stash. you can rent a cart which I feel necessary with all the wedges we may want to hit. We can play 18 and hit a different wedge on every hole just from my stuff no joke. Let the weather cool down some and maybe You I and Randy can get together with anyone else that wants to play. Wrxer Nixlix may want to come too since he lives about 10 miles up the road in Socastee. He is a relative new member but plays blades and persimmon and loves Cleveland wedges. For him it is Gunmetal ones for me it is rusty ones. We have not met yet in person but we are planning on it

Ok tomorrow is vintage day with my wife-- We always do that on vacation at least one or 2 rounds--- She will play her mix of mostly hybrids and I am going strictly vintage. Usually I play one of my sets of Macs besides the VIPs. This year I am departing a little from that. Most of my Macs are Pro Pel 2s so I am not going to try 36 with them. Some say this may be a sacrilege but here goes. Randy will recognise some of the clubs since they came from him

Driver Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40 Toney Penna factory OSR Special

3 Wood Macgregor DX-1 Keyhole OSR Special

4 Wood Macgregor DX-1 Keyhole OSR Special

6 Wood Macgregor Louise Suggs original shaft and grip

Irons 4 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT Green Band

PW Macgregor Pitching Duty 11 iron MT 1 OSR Special

Putter Macgregor JN -100 OSR Special

Bag ( here comes the sacrilege part) Orange Power Bilt Mini Staff--- Hey :WTF: I do not have a Hogan bag yet and I am not going as far as to put Hogan anything in a Macgregor Staff Bag. Besides I like that Power Bilt Bag I do have my limitations after all

Yep the Hogans I can swing good without hurting my back . A few of these sticks I have not hit yet but know I can by swinging them on the mat. Should be much fun

I embarked on 6 consecutive days of golf today, assuming my old bones can take it.

Playing in a club B-Team match, away at the first course I ever played, Whetstone Golf Club in Leicestershire. As a mark of respect I took along the only club I have left from those days, a store line MacGregor Nicklaus Golden Bear laminated 3 wood. To keep the MacGregor theme going I added a MacGregor 300 persimmon 1 wood, Tourney MTR1 blades 2 to PW, a Craigton "Neil Coles" sand iron and a Wilson 8813 putter.

Sorry to say I played absolute garbage and me and my partner were soundly beaten 5 & 4, if you're not on it those MTR1s let you know!

The only high light were three sand save pars with the Neil Coles sand iron.

Tomorrow I'm playing in Nottinghamshire. the Neil Coles will be staying in the bag and possibly the 8813 but everything else will be switched out.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Made one change to the Vintage set for today---- Got to thinking and believe me I do not think of myself as OCD at all---- I have 2 Red White and Blue Ryder Cup bags over in the building across the road--- Both are Miller numbered ones--- One which is my favorite is the Valderrama Spain one where Seve was the European Captain and the other one was from the Belfry. Both were in good shape I remember I bought the Valderrama one on a bulk buy deal and the other one I found in a car we bought at auction. I ended up going and getting the "Spanish" one and cleaning it up. Had to put the strap off my Infiniti Staff bag (the one in the avatar) because the bag never had a strap on it since I owned it. The vintage stuff looks good in it. It is not all that heavy even though it is an old school staff bag. Of course I do not have it stuffed with a lot of stuff. Just 8 balls and 4 gloves and short tees. I refuse to use a rangefinder playing vintage golf. If I need more than 8 balls I am doing one of 2 things going to the range or going home. Bonus was when I was cleaning it up I found 3 brand new Strata Balata balls in the pack. Look to be in good shape. Why of course I am going to play them. The other 5 or 6 are Wilson Duos. I had thought about throwing the Founders Judge Driver in Randy gave me for extra firepower but then thought we are playing a short course and I will be playing from the senior tees. If the Penna does not perform I do have the Precision 2 iron which I can cook. With modern metals I play this course from the back tees no problem

I embarked on 6 consecutive days of golf today, assuming my old bones can take it.

Playing in a club B-Team match, away at the first course I ever played, Whetstone Golf Club in Leicestershire. As a mark of respect I took along the only club I have left from those days, a store line MacGregor Nicklaus Golden Bear laminated 3 wood. To keep the MacGregor theme going I added a MacGregor 300 persimmon 1 wood, Tourney MTR1 blades 2 to PW, a Craigton "Neil Coles" sand iron and a Wilson 8813 putter.

Sorry to say I played absolute garbage and me and my partner were soundly beaten 5 & 4, if you're not on it those MTR1s let you know!

Tomorrow I'm playing in Nottinghamshire. the Neil Coles will be staying in the bag and possibly the 8813 but everything else will be switched out.

Yep my old man always said "If you want forgiveness go to church because Old Man Macgregor will not forgive you"

Ok tomorrow is vintage day with my wife-- We always do that on vacation at least one or 2 rounds--- She will play her mix of mostly hybrids and I am going strictly vintage. Usually I play one of my sets of Macs besides the VIPs. This year I am departing a little from that. Most of my Macs are Pro Pel 2s so I am not going to try 36 with them. Some say this may be a sacrilege but here goes. Randy will recognise some of the clubs since they came from him

Driver Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40 Toney Penna factory OSR Special

3 Wood Macgregor DX-1 Keyhole OSR Special

4 Wood Macgregor DX-1 Keyhole OSR Special

6 Wood Macgregor Louise Suggs original shaft and grip

Irons 4 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT Green Band

PW Macgregor Pitching Duty 11 iron MT 1 OSR Special

Putter Macgregor JN -100 OSR Special

Bag ( here comes the sacrilege part) Orange Power Bilt Mini Staff--- Hey :WTF: I do not have a Hogan bag yet and I am not going as far as to put Hogan anything in a Macgregor Staff Bag. Besides I like that Power Bilt Bag I do have my limitations after all

Yep the Hogans I can swing good without hurting my back . A few of these sticks I have not hit yet but know I can by swinging them on the mat. Should be much fun

`Great bag!

I hope you and your wife are enjoying the vacation !!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Yep my old man always said "If you want forgiveness go to church because Old Man Macgregor will not forgive you"

Some things are priceless. The above line falls in that category!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Some things are priceless. The above line falls in that category!

Thanks in all fairness he would amend the statement depending on the clubs one was playing Ie; Old Man Wilson or Old Man Hogan etc. You know back in those days none of those blade irons were forgiving

Just as a footnote to my outing on Monday I have to say how much I enjoyed playing with a balata ball again,it really emphasises the difference between the eras where now it's all about distance and then it was more about control.

I haven't changed my view on modern balls,I still think they are far superior in terms of consistency and longevity but I have just ordered a bundle of Professional 90's in order to maintain classic play.

Second day of my 6 day run, playing Harold Bird & Son laminated 1 & 3 woods, MacGregor Colokrom M85 remake 3 to SW (I decided to give the MacGregor brand another chance with this later set!), Greenway putter. The only downside to playing the Colokroms was that they have a SW as part of the set so the Neil Coles came out and the whole set was different to yesterday.

Playing at The Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club on the "Championship Course" (at less than 6,000 yards from the white tees I wonder how they justify this title...)

No fireworks and but no real horrors and I scored 31 points Stableford, hit some nice 3 iron tee shots, didn't have any sand saves though!

Second day of my 6 day run, playing Harold Bird & Son laminated 1 & 3 woods, MacGregor Colokrom M85 remake 3 to SW (I decided to give the MacGregor brand another chance with this later set!), Greenway putter. The only downside to playing the Colokroms was that they have a SW as part of the set so the Neil Coles came out and the whole set was different to yesterday.

Playing at The Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club on the "Championship Course" (at less than 6,000 yards from the white tees I wonder how they justify this title...)

No fireworks and but no real horrors and I scored 31 points Stableford, hit some nice 3 iron tee shots, didn't have any sand saves though!

Is that Holinwell jiggered?

Is that Holinwell jiggered?

Afraid not, it's more of a resort type course, it has two 18 hole loops.

https://www.thenotti...shire.com/golf/

(I am due to play Hollinwell later this month though, and I'll be pleased to score 31 points then!)

Played 36 today with my wife playing the above set. Played pretty well shot 79 77 not too bad. Man Randy that Penna is a cannon for me. Hit the old keyhole DX woods good too. Sure you did not put some pixie dust or something on them. Now the fairways at the course we played were sparse on grass and baked out either way with a draw or cut the ball took off. Putted really well with the JN -100 too. In fact going to practice over at Indian Wells in the morning and see how I putt those greens with it. Considered putting it in the front line Tournament bag-- Did not do too good with the Mac Dual Duty wedge though> I think it had a little too much bounce on those hard fairways but got by manufacturing shots with the 50* Cameo Equalizer and Precision 9 iron. Actually that old key hole 3 wood is a cannon too off the tee. Hit the old Precisions good too. She had fun too and I had set her up with a set of Ladies Yonex irons I had in the building. She wants to do 18 tomorrow afternoon at the same place. Important thing I am not hurting. Gonna play the Tournament bag Saturday with Bear and the boys up in Calabash NC at The Pearl Golf Links. We will see how I am gonna do there. Did all right today hit some good iron shots but under clubbed myself quite a few times on iron shots. Had to get it through my head the balata balls do not go like a modern ball--- Played the Wilson Duo balls the second 18 because the combination of the hard fairways plus me scuffing the cover on short iron shots scuffed those Stratas pretty bad. To top it off after we got home my old Fire Chief from Gaffney SC was in the area and came by the house. I has served under him for 10 years when I was a volunteer fireman and had not seen him for 15 years. Man this has been an outstanding vacation this year!!

Stu,

Sounds like you need to go back to work to get some rest. Glad you are able to enjoy your time off. It’s important we remember to take time to do things for ourselves that we enjoy, so we can recharge our batteries for the daily grind of work.

I am really happy that the clubs worked out so well for you and a BZ on 36 in a day and both being in the 70’s. Sounds to me like your just getting warmed up.

Stu,

Sounds like you need to go back to work to get some rest. Glad you are able to enjoy your time off. It's important we remember to take time to do things for ourselves that we enjoy, so we can recharge our batteries for the daily grind of work.

I am really happy that the clubs worked out so well for you and a BZ on 36 in a day and both being in the 70's. Sounds to me like your just getting warmed up.

Remember I told you when you handed me that Penna I could hit it. It is well balanced. She wants to play again today same place. More than likely will play the Callys because I am curious to see how the soles on them will react on the sparse baked fairways. Will definitely be playing the Tournament bag tomorrow with Bear and the boys up in Calabash NC at the Pearl Golf Links. Up there I will need all the firepower I can get. I am going to test the JN-100 over at I wells this AM. I putted with it yesterday and putted really good. Slipped a old school wrap type grip on it the other day. That thing has outstanding feel with either Balata or a Urethane ball.

Have fun STU. I'd love to see a video of your swing with the Penna. You must be a helluva golfer to be hitting sub 80s with those clubs. What tees/yardage do you play?

He is a helluva golfer! He used to be a pro; as in touring pro... :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Have fun STU. I'd love to see a video of your swing with the Penna. You must be a helluva golfer to be hitting sub 80s with those clubs. What tees/yardage do you play?

"Touron" pro - like all dem dam tourons from up de noth way

I never considered myself as having a good swing. I used to pull it back pretty far and lay the club off at the top and pull it back on plane going down had a loop. Now I do not pull it back as far so I lost the loop. I do not play what i call pretty golf. I do not have what I call a pretty swing or play textbook golf. That course I have played a lot lends itself to my style quite well> Good example Thursday hit a tree limb on one par 4 trying to turn one over. Left myself 225 to the green but a open green in front. Took my 2 iron hit a butt ugly stinger cut about head high ran it up on the green one ugly shot but 10 feet from the hole. Lipped out the birdie. That course from the senior tees plays 5598 68.4 119 at sea level. Good course for vintage play for me. Thursday the fairways were sparse and baked out and the Persimmons were running like mad. I never played pretty golf and my GIRs frankly suck> I always made my scores around the green wedges chipping and putting. I have never considered myself a good ball striker> I consider myself a shot maker and get out of jail artist.

Now yesterday I played the Tournament legal clubs since I am sorta gearing up for a stipulated event. Played the clubs in the Tournament legal set in my signature. I played all the way back at 6747 72.9 140. Now remember both days had "ball in hand in the fairways" because of the conditions. With the modern driver I did not get as much rollout but a good bit of carry. Hit more GIRs but could not get any putts to fall. Putted good but they just did not fall.Shot 75 which ain't going to cut it on a harder course with those guys I am planning on playing with. I will get lapped at that rate. I did stretch it out a bit for me yesterday for me at that yardage but I wanted to make it harder for me. The division I plan on playing in is the Super Seniors which will play about 6100 to 6200 on a harder course

Not to be misconstrued--- I was a Mini Tour player never made the big show even though I tried several times even did some US Open qualifiers. Back in the day always got through the local sectionals but never the regionals. In 07 when I turned 50 I did try to make the Champions Tour did beat my way into a 8 way playoff for 2 remaining spots. Kinda proud of the fact that I made it that far and was the only player in that playoff that had not ever played in a PGA Tour event. I had qualified and played a couple of Jordan Tour events (web . com now) back in the day but never a big show event. Did hold on for 3 holes sudden death in that playoff. Did not knock myself out but others made birdies faster than I did and 3 straight pars with that crowd ain't gonna cut it. I was on borrowed time anyhow holed out a 100 yd wedge shot on the last hole to get into the playoff to begin with. Thought I had shot myself out to begin with did not really know where I stood. I had a side bet with one of my old Mini Tour buddies and was playing him. Was interested in collecting my $100 from him and going home. One of the guys told me you better check the scoreboard. I had gotten into the playoff. HOLY CRAP. I had never in all my playing days had gotten into a playoff period much less with this crowd. A guy that I know from here had also gotten into that playoff and he was the one that alluded to the fact that I was the only one that had NOT ever qualified for an event on the big dance floor. That whole deal was shot off the hip anyhow kinda like firing a shotgun in the pitch black hoping you would hit something. I had entered at the last minute. Had to even buy a car to make it down there ( LOL a 00 Dodge Neon) and scrape together money. Kinda my style anyhow. Got to thinking midway through the 2 nd round as to what the hell I was going to do if I did make it? If I had qualified I would have had to have made some money fast for road expenses. Face the facts I was unknown compared to most of the other players.

My buddy did not make it either and he is a lot better player than I was. A few weeks later he was telling about it and mentioned the fact that I was the only one in that playoff without a "pedigree". On of my buddies jumped his butt right then and there telling him he should never had said that to me. He came to me and offered an apology. I told him no apology was needed that I could read and knew who the players were and their associated history I was not supposed to be in that playoff to begin with that I got lucky trying to throw a wedge close to collect a $100 bet that had spun sideways and went in. I also told him if he had not came up and told me I was in the playoff to begin with I would have been DQed for not showing up. I thought I was out of it when I began the round that day. I was hell bent on collecting my $100 and going home. It was all one big shock daze to me to begin with. Yep when you think you are doing something and shoot 69 ( -3) but then guys are throwing 64s and 65s at ya it can be deflating. I barely made the 36 hole cut to begin with doing it on the number which was around -3 or so. One of the reasons i made the playoff to begin with was a lot of guys shot themselves out of it the 3rd day with 80 and higher scores and had WD. the last day a lot of guys lower mid pack had put up some big numbers. I did play steady the last day and the hole out gave me a 70 ( -2). Back in those days I did have my head straight ( no booze or lefties) and had been practicing and playing every day and did the best I could. Yeah Orlando has some players especially in my age group with some of the club pros that had came out of the shops and some good Mini Tour players and hustlers. I did come back up here and play some mini events in the senior division locally but there was really no money to justify doing so. Most of the local tours have petered out anyhow around here especially in the senior side of things. I just kinda got a real job and retired form comp. The tournament I am thinking about entering (thus the conforming bag) is a Sunbelt Senior Tour event The SC Senior Open will be at the end of this month. There are some players there too even in the Super Seniors division. I am going to see where in the next couple of weeks where my game is at. If I think I can do it i will. The entry fee is $850 and I have some backers and have a pending entry. But like I told one of my backers last night I do not want to waste my time or their money if I am not up to snuff. My main concern is my lower back. I have played 8 rounds since last Saturday with no ball pounding on the range and I am not hurting yet. Playing 18 today so we will see. Sorry guys got to rambling this morning

Go Stu Go!

Best of Luck Buddy!!!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Keeping Stu in the subject matter. He gave me a handful of Wilson wedges, mostly JP’s, which I used two of them in the bag for the Senior tournament at Edisto Thursday.

One of his Frankenclubs, a JP 55* bent to 53*.

Nutted a drive on a 5 par that went too far and I ended up in a water hazard, ball visible, but, fully submerged. Was going to take a penalty, but, instead thought I had a chance to save par if I could advance the ball about 75 yards out of the water down the fairway.

As luck would have it, the ball wasn’t plugged in the mud and the tide was low enough I could navigate my way down the bank.

Took the Frankenclub and put the ball in exactly the spot I visualized. Long iron from there to the collar, and 2 putt for par.

Won my flight by one stroke.

Thanks Stu.

OSR, congratulations on winning your flight. Props for the water save shot that proved to be instrumental in being victorious. Well done, Sir.

Color me not surprised though on executing the shot with aplomb. You did have in hand a wedge from the fabled Stu's Tweak Shop. Having been fully optimized by 'Da Mayor in the inner sanctum of his Skunk Works. No one quite knows what he does to his wedges (and other clubs) within those chambers. Rumor has it, there's a sprinkling of some kind of 'magic dust' just before he brings them out into the light and places them into play. Or is it lead tape? Whatever. They've been touched by the Master.

P.S. Thinking of you guys don't that way. The forecasted path for Florence seems to have an ominous path in your direction. Here's to hoping that the predictions are incorrect. Enough is enough, especially in your circumstances Randy.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Keeping Stu in the subject matter. He gave me a handful of Wilson wedges, mostly JP's, which I used two of them in the bag for the Senior tournament at Edisto Thursday.

One of his Frankenclubs, a JP 55* bent to 53*.

Nutted a drive on a 5 par that went too far and I ended up in a water hazard, ball visible, but, fully submerged. Was going to take a penalty, but, instead thought I had a chance to save par if I could advance the ball about 75 yards out of the water down the fairway.

As luck would have it, the ball wasn't plugged in the mud and the tide was low enough I could navigate my way down the bank.

Took the Frankenclub and put the ball in exactly the spot I visualized. Long iron from there to the collar, and 2 putt for par.

Won my flight by one stroke.

Thanks Stu.

Great glad it helped you win. I knew I put it in good hands--- I know exactly what wedge that is It has 53 wrote on the lead tape. I deballed it a little bit to lower the leading edge and take some bounce off the trail of the sole.

Completed my 6 rounds on 6 different courses in 6 consecutive days today, playing different irons and putters each day with a mix of woods, some making repeat appearances. I've already posted days 1 and 2 above so here's a quick summation of the remaining four.

Day 3 - Our B vs C Team end of season friendly at my home course, Ullesthorpe GC.

Wilson 4300 1 & 3 laminated woods, Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades, Max Faulkner "Avenger" PW, Slazenger Gary Player SW and a GT-400 putter, not sure who made this.

Me and my partner didin't play great but our opponents were on fire and gave us a 6 & 5 stuffing. The B Team won overall though (I was B Team)

Day 4 - Men's Invitation day at Pannal Golf Club near Harrogate.

Early Titleist 1 metalwood, Walter Hagen 1 & 4 laminated woods, Dunlop "Peter Thomson" irons, Spalding Cash-In putter.

Competition was 4 Ball Betterball Stableford, me and my partner scored reasonably and came in with 37 points in rainy weather, hence the metalwood.

Day 5 - Men's Invitation at Beau Desert Golf Club near Cannock, 4 Ball Betterball Stableford again.

Walter Hagen 1, 3 & 4 laminated woods, George Nicoll Pinspliiter Z irons, Craigton Neil Coles SW, Spalding Model W, Gold Medal putter.

This time me and my partner dovetailed very well and we came in with 42 points for 4th place. Even better was that I'd corrupted my partner into buying a set of old woods and irons and putter (Nicoll Maestro irons, hence my choice of Nicoll irons to match his). He wasn't brave enough to play the woods though and so played his modern driver and hybrids but even so a great result for vintage clubs!

Day 6 - A leisurely round at the delightful Enville Golf Club near Stourbridge on the Highgate course, if you're ever in the area try and play it, there are two courses and both are excellent.

Titleist 1 persimmon, Uniroyal "Arnold Palmer" 3 & 4 laminated woods, Slazenger Plus International irons, Craigton Neil Coles SW, Jack Berry "It-Sits" putter.

First nine I played reasonably but I think the 6 days started to catch up with me on the back nine and I finished on 92 gross net 80, 8 over handicap. But as my new motto goes, "It's not all about the score", and I had a great day in good company.