2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Played yesterday at Coventry Golf Club with three other vintage club collectors, I was playing the Penfold International set I picked up on Monday.

A very enjoyable day in fine company made more enjoyable by the fact that I was under handicap for the first time since I can't remember when. Scored 83 gross for 70 net, Par/SSS is 71 so 1 under handicap.

oy9jbwzhm2ca.png

• Like 2

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

For the 5th straight year I played my vintage set including my Dad’s 1967 MacGregor MT Tourney persimmons on Fathers Day along with my post high school MT Tourney Split Soles and late 60’s Ping Anser.

I generally only do this on Father’s but might try it more since I shot 78 that day from 6100 yds. That’s a stroke or two less than my average with my modern set.

34vb0o9a6iod.jpeg

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

> @Jiggered said:

> Played yesterday at Coventry Golf Club with three other vintage club collectors, I was playing the Penfold International set I picked up on Monday.

>

> A very enjoyable day in fine company made more enjoyable by the fact that I was under handicap for the first time since I can't remember when. Scored 83 gross for 70 net, Par/SSS is 71 so 1 under handicap.

>

> oy9jbwzhm2ca.png

>

Those Penfold woods look quite tasty. Don't think I ever saw Penfold clubs growing up, just those awful Penfold balls (although James Bond used them, so they can't have been that bad).

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

>

> Those Penfold woods look quite tasty. Don't think I ever saw Penfold clubs growing up, just those awful Penfold balls (although James Bond used them, so they can't have been that bad).

>

They played pretty well too.

While they look like persimmon they're actually laminated, using a single colour maple instead of the usual light/dark/light/dark sandwich.

Hello all I'm new to the whole vintage club game, but making up for lost time. Just red all 87 pages. In the past couple months I have acquired the 58 Wilson Dyna-Powered with matching woods, the 78 staff irons with matching woods, and 20th Muirfield irons. Just love playing the old stuff. My second time out I hit all but one fairway and shot under my handicap. Still looking for a old putter that feels good. Also in the market for a wilson triple duty wedge.

• Like 2

> @"club hoarding anonymous" said:

> Hello all I'm new to the whole vintage club game, but making up for lost time. Just red all 87 pages. In the past couple months I have acquired the 58 Wilson Dyna-Powered with matching woods, the 78 staff irons with matching woods, and 20th Muirfield irons. Just love playing the old stuff. My second time out I hit all but one fairway and shot under my handicap. Still looking for a old putter that feels good. Also in the market for a wilson triple duty wedge.

Welcome to the club and best of luck managing the addiction.....

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

> @rwc356 said:

> > @"club hoarding anonymous" said:

> > Hello all I'm new to the whole vintage club game, but making up for lost time. Just red all 87 pages. In the past couple months I have acquired the 58 Wilson Dyna-Powered with matching woods, the 78 staff irons with matching woods, and 20th Muirfield irons. Just love playing the old stuff. My second time out I hit all but one fairway and shot under my handicap. Still looking for a old putter that feels good. Also in the market for a wilson triple duty wedge.

>

> Welcome to the club and best of luck managing the addiction.....

Agreed, welcome to the club. It can be the slippery slope. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My regular bag is now made up of old clubs so I now have two vintage sets, one with metal woods and the other with Persimmon, both in vintage MacGregor bags. Decisions decisions.

• Like 1

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

• 2 weeks later...

About to have a vintage round, in about three hours. Using my Golden Ram TW282's, with an Anser-a-like putter, a single wedge above the 1-PW irons, and a Ping Eye2 driver and 3w. Its not a seck-see Golden Ram or MacGregor persimmon setup, but these Pings have intrigued me. (didn't realize seck-see was in the filter)

There's no changing my mind, I'm 80 miles from home and this is all I brought with me. :)

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> About to have a vintage round, in about three hours. Using my Golden Ram TW282's, with an Anser-a-like putter, a single wedge above the 1-PW irons, and a Ping Eye2 driver and 3w. Its not a seck-see Golden Ram or MacGregor persimmon setup, but these Pings have intrigued me. (didn't realize seck-see was in the filter)

>

> There's no changing my mind, I'm 80 miles from home and this is all I brought with me. :)

1i off the first tee with pictures, or it didn't happen!

And the new filter is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Threw my Palmer Standards in the bag today on a whim. 2-SW plus the infamous "Up and Down Wedge" to match the set. Got to the course and my buddies were miffed at me because they had a game arranged for us against another 4some that I didn't know about. I held my own with an 80 (that's even par for me these days) and we swept the $5 nassau. Hit a lot of good shots today too. Not sure which shot was better....the 170 yard hooded hooking punch 4 iron from under the trees on #12 that I hit 6 feet behind the hole and sank the putt, or the 2 iron from 185 into the wind that I hit to 15 feet on #17 Got plenty of oohs and ahhs from my partners on both. Drove home feeling vindicated and very satisfied.

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > About to have a vintage round, in about three hours. Using my Golden Ram TW282's, with an Anser-a-like putter, a single wedge above the 1-PW irons, and a Ping Eye2 driver and 3w. Its not a seck-see Golden Ram or MacGregor persimmon setup, but these Pings have intrigued me. (didn't realize seck-see was in the filter)

> >

> > There's no changing my mind, I'm 80 miles from home and this is all I brought with me. :)

>

> 1i off the first tee with pictures, or it didn't happen!

>

> And the new filter is ridiculous, in my opinion.

>

I wouldn't subject you to pics, Catchy. Or anyone else here, LOL. :)

The 1 iron is kind of cheating, it's the Maxfli Revolution 1 iron in my signature. It's mostly a tee club, but I get some use with it here and there off the fairway. Hit it three times during the round, if memory serves. And, hit it better than I've been hitting the 2 hybrid I've been carrying. Funny how that works.

The Eye2 driver was pretty good. I hit it fairly well most of the time, but I might need a bit more loft to be ideal; it's a green dot. The 3 wood, I hit off the deck on one shot, centered it, but not sure how far out I was to get a read on the distance, but it didn't seem like it went as far as I'd expected. More testing obviously needed. LOL

I felt like I was considerably straighter, more in play, which was corroborated by a comment from my friend/playing partner, who commented on how I never really hit anything offline. As opposed to my sometimes all over the place tee game with my modern sticks. Gives a man pause.

Will either keep them in the bag, or swap out to a Golden Ram Driver/3w combo for the next time out.

Oh, for any interested... shot an amazingly consistent 44/38, for an 82. It's an Audubon Society course, lot of water. Donated a couple balls to the golf gods with a couple ill timed poor iron swings.

NRJyzr,

I also find that I stay in play more when I'm using persimmons. The newer stuff is easier to hit further, but that also means it's easier to hit it further offline! When I was playing a course fairly frequently earlier this year that was about 6,300 yards, I was getting the same scores with my persimmons as with my modern woods.

What I've found is, while I'm shorter on average, it's not just that shorter length keeping me in play. I'm not *that* much shorter with the wood than with modern drivers such that the lesser distance can make similar dispersion seem straighter than it is. It's actually a tighter dispersion. For me, anyway.

It makes me wonder a couple things. One, is the heavier weight of steel shafts responsible for keeping me in play better? Is it possibly related to the smaller clubhead?

I have a J's Professional Weapon downstairs, I've used it on the course from time to time. I've never hit it as offline as I do with modern sticks. It makes me wonder if that might apply to the smaller metal woods. I've given thought to trying one of my older Ti drivers, in the 320-340cc range. Or, one of my sub-300cc drivers, possibly even a stainless steel model. Still have most of them lying around.

Including the immortal Dynacraft Grand Limited driver. Its 15-5 stainless steel, looks somewhat like a Great Big Bertha. Its notoriety comes from its sound; it sounds like you're hitting a golf ball with a cowbell, LOL.

Getting back on track... such are the thoughts in my head at moment. Might be time for some experimentation with smaller metal woods. Instead of 70s or 80s retro golf, i could be playing 90s retro golf :)

One local 2nd Swing shop even has a Mizuno TZoid T3 driver in shop. Or they did a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My play hasn't been great lately, but I did have a couple fun ball flight videos to put up on YT - a driver off the deck and a 3 iron. Luckily, there's more to enjoy than scores, otherwise I'd have to quit.

[/YouTube]

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I was able to get out for my first round of vintage play with another classic enthusiast this past Sunday. James The Hogan Fan joined me at my club for a round of 1950’s era persimmon play.

I Had my set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons, 1-4 set of 1958 Stan Thompson persimmons, a 1957 Wilson Triple Duty wedge, and a late 50’s H&B blade putter. Shot a 91 which while disappointing wasn’t too bad for an all vintage round. I average around 82-84 with my modern clubs and I’d say most of my lost strokes were from missed putts and a few chunked or bladed wedge shots. I realized it was the first round of 18 I’ve played this year. I usually only play 9 or even 4 holes as time permits so I noticed I faded a bit the final 4 holes. Didn’t help it was close to 100* when we teed off.

But all in all it was fun to play with another player whose bag was also filled with classic clubs as James brought his set of 1951 Spalding irons and some Hogan persimmons. A nice throwback round.

• Like 1

> @deejaid said:

> I was able to get out for my first round of vintage play with another classic enthusiast this past Sunday. James The Hogan Fan joined me at my club for a round of 1950’s era persimmon play.

> I Had my set of 1958 Wilson Dynapowered irons, 1-4 set of 1958 Stan Thompson persimmons, a 1957 Wilson Triple Duty wedge, and a late 50’s H&B blade putter. Shot a 91 which while disappointing wasn’t too bad for an all vintage round. I average around 82-84 with my modern clubs and I’d say most of my lost strokes were from missed putts and a few chunked or bladed wedge shots. I realized it was the first round of 18 I’ve played this year. I usually only play 9 or even 4 holes as time permits so I noticed I faded a bit the final 4 holes. Didn’t help it was close to 100* when we teed off.

>

> But all in all it was fun to play with another player whose bag was also filled with classic clubs as James brought his set of 1951 Spalding irons and some Hogan persimmons. A nice throwback round.

>

>

>

I'd like to elaborate on that, since I was there too. I had a fantastic time playing a fantastic course with fantastic company. I shot a 92 or so and mostly lost my strokes with miserable drives and inconsistent irons; for clubs I'd never used before I felt I was doing alright. Take a guy whose been bombing and gouging a links all summer with modern clubs and make his driver wild and short on a tight tree-lined course and there you go. (and then I shot 74 today with moderns at Callippe Preserve... funny game this...)

My driver was the MacGregor DX I refinished last winter. My woods were Hogan Apexes from the 80's. Irons early 50's Spaldings, and wedges Stan Thompson. Putter was my Hogan Princess, which came out of my normal bag.

It was a lot of fun talking about old clubs and equipment. I hope sooner or later we can get more classics wrxers together to have a bigger meet-up.

ww5n4l3abjq6.jpg

• Like 3

I’ll tell you James, I think I might just go all vintage the rest of the year. The last few days at the range I took my Ping’s and my 58 Wilson’s and not only are the Wilson’s much more satisfying to hit but I’m hitting them better than the Ping’s which look clunky and clumsy. It also helped that I finished my patio so no more shoveling stone for this guy, I feel a I can actually swing and bend over again.

I also got inspired when I saw James’s bag as he had his vintage clubs in a vintage bag. I use a modern bag but just snagged a nice classic off eBay to really get full classic experience.

• Like 1

You guys are kind of re-inspiring me to do similar, though it's not a large bump to get me there. LOL

Been thinking about committing to only playing persimmons or laminates quite a bit, and have taken them on course several times already this year. I've finally this year found a modern driver that I'm hitting decently, but it's not quite as satisfying as hitting a good tee shot with a Ram persimmon or Ping laminate. And frankly, I hit just as many junky shots with the modern big sticks as I do with the older stuff. Maybe even more, oddly. They may go farther, but they're usually in worse places, laterally (and not only because they might go a bit farther).

At some point, the light bulb has to go on. Right?

• Like 2

I'm coming to the end of my second season of only playing persimmon/laminates and blades. Still loving it and have just accepted that my drives aren't going to be as long as the longest of modern club players but it's surprising how often they're up there with the "modern boys".

I play a different set each week (from my collection of over 30 sets of irons and similar number of putters) which further effects my scores but, more importantly for me, increases the fun! Sometimes I'll switch to a new set and it clicks straight away, other times it just doesn't happen, but then on the next rotation it might.

When it does click the satisfaction is huge.

• Like 3

Not the same as DJ and James playing persimmons...

I took my J's Professional Weapon 3w on the course with me today. First hole, I hit a tree on my tee shot, wind up having to punch out from under a tree such that I'm still 240 out for my 3rd shot, into the wind. Glorious moment. Was going to hit a 3 iron, switched to the J's 3w, hit it right at the flag. It stayed dead straight, wound up in the front left rough, couple feet from the green.

I consider that a victory. :)

Hit it off the tee several times with great success. Far better than I've been hitting my King LTD fairway.

It's not lumber, but I like to think a 28-29 year old 3w is still fairly vintage. :)

• Like 2

> @NRJyzr said:

> Not the same as DJ and James playing persimmons...

>

> I took my J's Professional Weapon 3w on the course with me today. First hole, I hit a tree on my tee shot, wind up having to punch out from under a tree such that I'm still 240 out for my 3rd shot, into the wind. Glorious moment. Was going to hit a 3 iron, switched to the J's 3w, hit it right at the flag. It stayed dead straight, wound up in the front left rough, couple feet from the green.

>

> I consider that a victory. :)

>

> Hit it off the tee several times with great success. Far better than I've been hitting my King LTD fairway.

>

> It's not lumber, but I like to think a 28-29 year old 3w is still fairly vintage. :)

Thanks for sharing NRJyzr. You’ll remember that shot or sequence of shots long after you have forgotten your score for the round. To me, that’s what’s it’s all about, making that one memory that will stay with you much longer than the final score probably would.

Congrats!

• Like 1

> @Jiggered said:

> I'm coming to the end of my second season of only playing persimmon/laminates and blades. Still loving it and have just accepted that my drives aren't going to be as long as the longest of modern club players but it's surprising how often they're up there with the "modern boys".

>

> I play a different set each week (from my collection of over 30 sets of irons and similar number of putters) which further effects my scores but, more importantly for me, increases the fun! Sometimes I'll switch to a new set and it clicks straight away, other times it just doesn't happen, but then on the next rotation it might.

>

> When it does click the satisfaction is huge.

I haven’t swung a metal wood or modern driver in over a year. Even my Ping ISI irons seem too modern now. I think of my 1950’s era set of clubs as my main set now. It doesn’t fit with what others are playing at my club, but that’s ok.

• Like 1

So, after a long (for me) solid stretch of not buying clubs (thank you Callaway for putting me on staff!), thanks to this part of WRX, I now have a new fixation. But, the best part of the vintage/minimalist/P&B set journey is that it offers far more romanticism and nostalgia than my fantastic new sticks.

For instance, I will have my Grandfather's Palmer The Standard 4w in the bag at all times, even though the shaft is far from the right flex. I also have my father's head covers on the 4w and soon to be delivered 1950's era M85TW. I'll add something (quite a few things actually) to the set as well, hopefully from @"National Custom Works," as well as a "real" walking bag, and create something that my son can have in 30 years and add to, passing it down to his son or daughter.

It is my sincerest hope that golf course design continues to consider (as has been the more recent trend) the recreation and camaraderie aspects of the game and offers courses and tees that allow for whole families & groups of friends to all play and enjoy the game with whatever skill and equipment they each choose to bring.

Did I mention that I have a M85 coming my way!!!

• Like 3

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

> @Dcohenour said:

> Pics from a vintage round with my son today between storm fronts.

> 68gftfjozer3.jpg

> 1xr28ud0gkvg.jpg

> Clubs: MacGregor 3w, Wilson K28 4W, Wison K28 7&8I, Ram PW, Sandy Andy, and Ping Cushin putter. Wilson Bag, towel, and vintage pull cart complete with anodized aluminum scorecard holder with cig pack holder and capacity for 4 extra balls. Played at this years home course, back 9, very wet. Local rules we in effect to deal with water, debris on the greens, and sand. It was a practice round since the kid doesn't play much in Florida. I would if I lived there, but... We had a good time.

>

LOL I have a similar Bag Boy pull cart with the scorecard holder and cig pack holder. LOL again the last time I used it I got a empty Marlboro Box and put up there to stir up some of the anti smoking crowd around these parts. Had a similar sized burgundy vintage Macgregor bag on it with the 57 Diamondbacks

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @Jiggered said:

> Played yesterday at Coventry Golf Club with three other vintage club collectors, I was playing the Penfold International set I picked up on Monday.

>

> A very enjoyable day in fine company made more enjoyable by the fact that I was under handicap for the first time since I can't remember when. Scored 83 gross for 70 net, Par/SSS is 71 so 1 under handicap.

>

> oy9jbwzhm2ca.png

>

Like I said I learn something every time I go on here. I am real familiar with Penfold Golf balls but never knew until now they made clubs. Thanks for the education

> @deejaid said:

> I’ll tell you James, I think I might just go all vintage the rest of the year. The last few days at the range I took my Ping’s and my 58 Wilson’s and not only are the Wilson’s much more satisfying to hit but I’m hitting them better than the Ping’s which look clunky and clumsy. It also helped that I finished my patio so no more shoveling stone for this guy, I feel a I can actually swing and bend over again.

>

> I also got inspired when I saw James’s bag as he had his vintage clubs in a vintage bag. I use a modern bag but just snagged a nice classic off eBay to really get full classic experience.

Man O man that sounded fun---- I thought you had a Classic Jones bag---- I just snagged a classic bag at Goodwill last Sunday-- It is an old Voit canvas bag--- Took the Voit emblem off and it looks like a Jones but then again I do have a Jones Classic

• Like 1

> @"Dan Drake" said:

> So, after a long (for me) solid stretch of not buying clubs (thank you Callaway for putting me on staff!), thanks to this part of WRX, I now have a new fixation. But, the best part of the vintage/minimalist/P&B set journey is that it offers far more romanticism and nostalgia than my fantastic new sticks.

> For instance, I will have my Grandfather's Palmer The Standard 4w in the bag at all times, even though the shaft is far from the right flex. I also have my father's head covers on the 4w and soon to be delivered 1950's era M85TW. I'll add something (quite a few things actually) to the set as well, hopefully from @"National Custom Works," as well as a "real" walking bag, and create something that my son can have in 30 years and add to, passing it down to his son or daughter.

> It is my sincerest hope that golf course design continues to consider (as has been the more recent trend) the recreation and camaraderie aspects of the game and offers courses and tees that allow for whole families & groups of friends to all play and enjoy the game with whatever skill and equipment they each choose to bring.

>

> Did I mention that I have a M85 coming my way!!!

Well I will tell you ---- You will be hooked------ Trust me I have a set of 2013 Callaway X forged that have been sitting darn near 3 years now-- But for my serious matches I do have my 15 year old KZG forged CBs in the bag with somewhat modern woods. Next week if we do not flood out I am playing in a Calcutta so I will play the KZGs--- But I am fixing to get away from that and go back to playing my old Macs again--- Also I am still on tap this week to break 100 with all vintage clubs on a 8100 yard course at sea level. All of my Sunday afternoon rounds are vintage

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > I’ll tell you James, I think I might just go all vintage the rest of the year. The last few days at the range I took my Ping’s and my 58 Wilson’s and not only are the Wilson’s much more satisfying to hit but I’m hitting them better than the Ping’s which look clunky and clumsy. It also helped that I finished my patio so no more shoveling stone for this guy, I feel a I can actually swing and bend over again.

> >

> > I also got inspired when I saw James’s bag as he had his vintage clubs in a vintage bag. I use a modern bag but just snagged a nice classic off eBay to really get full classic experience.

>

> Man O man that sounded fun---- I thought you had a Classic Jones bag---- I just snagged a classic bag at Goodwill last Sunday-- It is an old Voit canvas bag--- Took the Voit emblem off and it looks like a Jones but then again I do have a Jones Classic

We had a lot of fun and if you make it out this way we will definitely head out fora vintage round buddy.

And I did have a vintage Jones stand bag but I didn’t like the balance of the bag. No matter how I adjusted the strap the top wanted to dive down and nearly spill the clubs out so I ended up getting rid of it.

I have been watching an eBay listing for months for an old 1960’s vinyl bag made by Fernquest & Johnson. Since I bought a F&J Tony Lema putter I decided to go ahead and buy the bag. I want that whole circa 1960 bag with the Dynapowered irons and Stan Thompson woods.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @"Dan Drake" said:

> > So, after a long (for me) solid stretch of not buying clubs (thank you Callaway for putting me on staff!), thanks to this part of WRX, I now have a new fixation. But, the best part of the vintage/minimalist/P&B set journey is that it offers far more romanticism and nostalgia than my fantastic new sticks.

> > For instance, I will have my Grandfather's Palmer The Standard 4w in the bag at all times, even though the shaft is far from the right flex. I also have my father's head covers on the 4w and soon to be delivered 1950's era M85TW. I'll add something (quite a few things actually) to the set as well, hopefully from @"National Custom Works," as well as a "real" walking bag, and create something that my son can have in 30 years and add to, passing it down to his son or daughter.

> > It is my sincerest hope that golf course design continues to consider (as has been the more recent trend) the recreation and camaraderie aspects of the game and offers courses and tees that allow for whole families & groups of friends to all play and enjoy the game with whatever skill and equipment they each choose to bring.

> >

> > Did I mention that I have a M85 coming my way!!!

>

> Well I will tell you ---- You will be hooked------ Trust me

You better believe it. You could show me the latest and greatest driver or some foam-injected iron and it just doesn’t do anything for me. But a 60 year set with original leather grips? Man, I’m in heaven.

• Like 1