NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

Never heard of it but I may have to look into it is well. I was contemplating heading down to Columbus for a day when the courses there start opening while ours are still closed, but Bolivar is a much closer option. If you're looking for someone to head down with let me know, weekends work best but I may be able to leave work a little early depending on the day. At this point I think most of us are really itching to get out and will play whatever is open.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Pittsburgh but have played many of the courses you've mentioned several times including Yankee Run, Tam O Shanter, and Reserve Run. If you're ever getting a group together or just looking to play at some point this season definitely feel free to hit me up, I'm always looking for new people to play with. I keep telling my self that I'm going to get to Boulder Creek, so once again that's on the hopeful list this year. You ever play Kennsington in Boardman? It's actually a very nice course and reasonably priced since they lowered their prices, however first-tee-backup and slow play were major issues both times I played there.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

[quote name='PittShark' timestamp='1394801057' post='8869215']
I live in Pittsburgh but have played many of the courses you've mentioned several times including Yankee Run, Tam O Shanter, and Reserve Run. If you're ever getting a group together or just looking to play at some point this season definitely feel free to hit me up, I'm always looking for new people to play with. I keep telling my self that I'm going to get to Boulder Creek, so once again that's on the hopeful list this year. You ever play Kennsington in Boardman? It's actually a very nice course and reasonably priced since they lowered their prices, however first-tee-backup and slow play were major issues both times I played there.
[/quote]

We're working on getting an outing set up April 19th if you're interested. Details and people playing so far are on the last post of the previous page. The course could be quite a drive for you though and may not be worth it to you since it's not one of the best around, but it is nice.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1394802960' post='8869405']
[/quote]

We're working on getting an outing set up April 19th if you're interested. Details and people playing so far are on the last post of the previous page. The course could be quite a drive for you though and may not be worth it to you since it's not one of the best around, but it is nice.
[/quote]

Yeah, that might be a little too far for me.....looks like we're talking almost Cleveland there. Thanks for the head's up though, and definitely let me know if you guys decide to do anything slightly further east and/or if anyone is ever just looking for a weekend round.

Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

[/quote]

Kensington is probably always going to have a little slower rounds because some of the holes are just tough for the average golfer. I've only played there twice and once was late last year and I had forgotten how some of the holes could get people until I watched the nice couple I was playing along with that day.

Pick the wrong tees and it can be a really long day lol.

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1394823176' post='8871953']
[/quote]

Kensington is probably always going to have a little slower rounds because some of the holes are just tough for the average golfer. I've only played there twice and once was late last year and I had forgotten how some of the holes could get people until I watched the nice couple I was playing along with that day.

[/quote]

I agree, I think it's going to get even better too when it grows in a little more. Seems to me it's still in the early stages and isn't all the way there yet. Probably the course I played second most when I was in the area. It's really a cool course

[quote name='PittShark' timestamp='1394807531' post='8869903']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, that might be a little too far for me.....looks like we're talking almost Cleveland there. Thanks for the head's up though, and definitely let me know if you guys decide to do anything slightly further east and/or if anyone is ever just looking for a weekend round.
[/quote]

If the initial outing is a success, I vote a destination outing at bird's foot to include our eastern bros

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1394823797' post='8872019']
[quote name='PittShark' timestamp='1394807531' post='8869903']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If the initial outing is a success, I vote a destination outing at bird's foot to include our eastern bros
[/quote]

I second that! haha, I know I'm a little biased. But honestly Birdsfoot is one of my favorite courses in the area, so definitely a fine choice.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1394823473' post='8871987']
[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1394823176' post='8871953']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree, I think it's going to get even better too when it grows in a little more. Seems to me it's still in the early stages and isn't all the way there yet. Probably the course I played second most when I was in the area. It's really a cool course
[/quote]

I agree. It still needs to mature a little but I think its a fun course and a nice test.

Kensington has been there for about 7-10 years. Plenty of time to mature. The unfortunate thing is, they care more about the driving range and bar/ restaurant there. As I've said in this thread previously, I will never spend another dime there, as I feel like any dime spent there on golf is a waste. Not one repaired pitch mark, divot, ball mark on a green, tee boxes and greens that are burnt out and needing attention. And, I disagree with the "difficult test of golf", any familiarity with the course will yield quality scores. I am a legitimate 7-10 handicap, and I've twice shot 77 there with some smart course management and avoiding the obvious trouble there. It's a shame, it's a great layout and quality track, it's unfortunate that the ownership doesn't respect it or the golfers enough to even dedicate a little bit of focus on the course rather than the clubhouse and the vistas visible from the clubhouse.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I gotta go with Irish on Kensington. I live right by it and only played it once because it was like playing at the artillery test range. The greens were maybe the worst greens I have ever played on. There are so many other options around here at that price range that are much better. I thought the biggest challenge there was figuring out where to hit the ball. Being unfamiliar with the course, there was a lot of stuff you could avoid had I known it was there. I was just not digging that place.

Pitt, Boulder Creek was good. I went there last year for the first time and I relly enjoyed it. I go down towards Pittsburgh to play a bit as well. My favorite down that way is Madison Club. I used to really like Quicksilver but it has gone downhill and I can't justify the price for what you get there. I used to travel to Lakeview in WV every year too for the overnight special early in the spring. It was tough to beat that and we always got lucky on the weather.

Not to beat a horse, but anyone who likes Kensington should try out Reserve Run, Pine Lakes, or Oak Tree. Probably my three favorite tracks in the Y-Town area. And, if you aren't afraid of a short drive, check out Bronzwood in Kinsman up north. What a fun track- there's a couple blah holes there, but some spectacular ones as well. A fair test of golf with very few gimmicks. The only hole I might change is number 7, but mostly because it's just brutal. A true 3 shot par 5, for even the longest hitters. I am a big an of the finishing stretch there- 16 is a 90* dogleg par 5 that requires a couple of precise shots, 17 is a drivable par 4 with a wicked green that really requires a layup to approach the correct side of the green, and 18 is a pretty par 4 that requires a precise, short lay up to an elevated green protected by a creek and trees.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Oh, and I am so ready to golf.

Oh, one more thing- I have a short week at work this week, and am off Wed., Thurs., and Fri.... if that Wilkshire place is open any of those days and the weather cooperates, is anyone interested in playing? I am going to call there tomorrow, looking at the weather I am going to make a tee time Wednesday and Friday, as of now.

I'm a probable for the 4/19 outing, but I'm gonna have to change to a "no". My kids will be home for Easter. I'm sure it'll be a great time.

Bob

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

Bummer on the outing, Bob, but enjoy seeing the kids. I think we can all count family as a reasonable excuse to miss golf, lol. Brett, I'd be more than happy to tee off later Friday to play with someone!

Bob - Too bad you can't make it but seeing your family definitely trumps golf. Maybe we'll get another outing figured out later in the year and you can join us then. Enjoy your family time!

Brad - Then count me in if they're open and you don't decide to play earlier. Just let me know if you get a tee time and I'm sure I can leave work a little early, my supervisor is an avid golfer so he'll understand!

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1394851832' post='8875105']
Kensington has been there for about 7-10 years. Plenty of time to mature. The unfortunate thing is, they care more about the driving range and bar/ restaurant there. As I've said in this thread previously, I will never spend another dime there, as I feel like any dime spent there on golf is a waste. Not one repaired pitch mark, divot, ball mark on a green, tee boxes and greens that are burnt out and needing attention. And, I disagree with the "difficult test of golf", any familiarity with the course will yield quality scores. I am a legitimate 7-10 handicap, and I've twice shot 77 there with some smart course management and avoiding the obvious trouble there. It's a shame, it's a great layout and quality track, it's unfortunate that the ownership doesn't respect it or the golfers enough to even dedicate a little bit of focus on the course rather than the clubhouse and the vistas visible from the clubhouse.
[/quote]

Has it been that long? Time flies. I remembered hearing they opened ( i lived out of state and people from the area would ask me if I had played it) too soon in the begining and while I didnt notice anything the first time the last time ( last fall) I noticed some turf issues that looked similar to situations I ran into in Florida. The turf was pulling up very easily if that makes sense.

My comment was based on playing the back tees. If a player gets back there and shouldnt be he is going to get beat up. If your game isnt on you will get beat up on certain holes. The average player would struggle with 1# just because of the green so I see a few trouble areas. Compared to some of the courses in that general area I would consider it tougher.

I do agree on the ball marks but having been in the business thats a tough battle. The one gentleman in the shop leaves something to be desired but thats a similar issue. Familiarity is also a bonus. I was a year between rounds and had forgotten several shots plus I played different tees since I wasnt playing with my uncle who plays up.

I understand what you're saying, I wasn't trying to be contrarian just to be. It's just frustrating that such a great layout isn't given the attention it deserves. Like I said before, they seem to be much more concerned with the clubhouse, range, and restaurant/ bar than the course. Anytime I've been there, they have 2-4 bag drop kids (who swarm you in the parking lot before you're even out of your car), a small army working in the restaurant, and many others around the clubhouse and range. I get text alerts from them all the time advertising their food specials and entertainment in the restaurant, but never a golf special. I think they'd be well served sending one of their many employees out on a cart with a bucket of sand mix and a divot repair tool, but that's just me. I am not sure their rates are in line with the condition of the course, either. In the market Kensington is in and compared to other courses that are much better maintained, $35 weekday and $45 weekend is a little steep, IMO.

Seems kinda weird about the range, I always thought their range sucked TBH. I agree about the state of the greens. Honestly I don't really see why they'd focus on the other stuff as I see golf being more of a money maker than anything, besides the bar at least. I've never really been there when there were a lot of people inside, so that might just come down to my personal experiences. I think Firestone Farms is about as good as it gets from a value perspective. I've gotten golfnow tee times for less than 20 bucks there on completely normal days. I'm pretty sure I could get on for 25 riding 18 pretty much whenever I wanted, so it's not like it's one of those "hot-deals" only places either. I love it out there.

Also forgot to add I always hated going to the range at kensington because it's a battle to get the machine to accept your credit card. There's the smallest window for the duration of your swipe, and if you are too slow or too fast, it errors out. Not sure if they fixed that since, but I always felt like I was performing brain surgery when trying to swipe my credit card in the machine.

I agree 100% about Firestone. Love that course and always a great deal. It's just a shame it's not more conveniently located. Well, for me, anyways, lol.

I was just talking to a customer here at the shop who mentioned that Deer Pass out in Seville by the 71/ 76 interchange has been opening up, weather permitting. [url="http://www.deerpassgolf.com/"]http://www.deerpassgolf.com/[/url]

Oh, bummer. Still keeping my fingers crossed for sneaking down to that Wilkshire course this week.

I agree, it looks nice on their website and stalking it on Google maps. The gentleman I spoke to said it was a nice course, but obviously I wouldn't expect tour conditions this time of the year.