2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

[quote name='sross' timestamp='1395868915' post='8957541']
Any NE Ohio WRX golf outing plans this year? Last one I played was at The Quarry... might be behind the conversation, but interested...
[/quote]

You're actually right on time! scroll back a little, we've been planning on April 19th at Brookledge, but due to the crappy weather we're talking about contingency plans on May 17th. Or probably both. Get on board, man. Add your name to the list! Welcome, btw!

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Golf league starts next week! Hopefully the snow melts by then!!!!!!!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1395854773' post='8955721']
From my condo on Elm road right off Rt. 5 in Warren, from my door to Windmill was under 45 minutes, probably closer to 30. Now that the speed limit is 70 on Rt. 76, I'd be willing to bet it's close to that from Y-Town as well. It's an easy drive, and they always have great deals on GolfNow at Windmill. My father and I played there last September for around $18 for 18 and a cart, I believe, at like noon on a Tuesday.
[/quote]

Could certainly reach out to the guy that works there too... lol.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1395878479' post='8958475']
From my condo on Elm road right off Rt. 5 in Warren, from my door to Windmill was under 45 minutes, probably closer to 30. Now that the speed limit is 70 on Rt. 76, I'd be willing to bet it's close to that from Y-Town as well. It's an easy drive, and they always have great deals on GolfNow at Windmill. My father and I played there last September for around $18 for 18 and a cart, I believe, at like noon on a Tuesday.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dude I have to come see you soon and hear about these recent changes in the team's roster... Just found out today about the 2 changes

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1395878079' post='8958431']
Golf league starts next week! Hopefully the snow melts by then!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I know. I have a feeling it's gonna be a messy first day. I really hope I can get out before Wednesday, I wasn't lucky enough to go to spring training in Texas this past weekend!

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't think I won't, I just didn't want to make a shameless admission that I will be doing so in the future, lol. Probably try to get that dude to come out and play with us.

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1395881771' post='8958847']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't think I won't, I just didn't want to make a shameless admission that I will be doing so in the future, lol. Probably try to get that dude to come out and play with us.
[/quote]

Make sure you bring a set of clubs for him, his suck.

Oh wait just kidding I'd give up a kidney for JW's bag.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1395892815' post='8959825']
[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1395881771' post='8958847']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Make sure you bring a set of clubs for him, his suck.

Oh wait just kidding I'd give up a kidney for JW's bag.
[/quote]

I've got some pretty decent clubs, about 3 bags worth. And I'd probably trade them all straight up for one bag of JW's clubs.

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1396033255' post='8970129']
Several foursomes at Turkeyfoot.
[/quote]

I went to the range at Downview, and saw a couple people out on Brookledge. I almost called Turkeyfoot to sneak out this afternoon, but that quick shower earlier ruined that since I have some things to do in a little while and didn't want to have to rush. I'm definitely heading out Monday afternoon somewhere if the weather report holds true. I work till 1:45, if anyone wants to head out with me and watch the debacle of my first round of the season, let me know. I can probably meet anywhere by about 3:00. Doubt we'd be able to sneak in 18, but who knows.

I'm past the point of worrying about it being muddy. League starts Wednesday, and I don't want that to be the first time hitting balls off of dirt since the first week of December, and the first time with a bag full of new sticks on a course ever.

[quote name='domc36' timestamp='1396052517' post='8971909']
I played today at pine lakes in Hubbard. Greens were still pretty bumpy from being plugged. The tee boxes were in really good shape though they were brown. The course was relatively dry considering the rain today. The tees were in normal position, not way forward for winter golf.
[/quote]

You guys want to hear a funny story about the only time I played there? Hopefully no one here was there and witnessed this or I'd feel totally stupid. It's either number 4 or number 13 I forget which, after that shorter par 3 over water. I hit my drive and was in the fairway, and for some reason thought it was a dogleg right and the green was straight right, which was completely another hole. So I was bored and practicing and hit like 3 wedge shots to that green.... Then another group comes up to the green and putts their balls (because it was their hole not mine)... Then I figured out the hole was straight... So embarrassing. In my defense, I had gotten a concussion like a week before(which was my 5th to date), and was just finally starting to feel coordinated enough to golf. Definitely shouldn't have played.

Thinking back and looking at the scorecard I'm pretty sure it was 4 and that I was hitting to 11 green. it's hilarious because I've hit at the range 20 times yet only played there once.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1396112765' post='8975023']
I played today at pine lakes in Hubbard. Greens were still pretty bumpy from being plugged. The tee boxes were in really good shape though they were brown. The course was relatively dry considering the rain today. The tees were in normal position, not way forward for winter golf.
[/quote]

You guys want to hear a funny story about the only time I played there? Hopefully no one here was there and witnessed this or I'd feel totally stupid. It's either number 4 or number 13 I forget which, after that shorter par 3 over water. I hit my drive and was in the fairway, and for some reason thought it was a dogleg right and the green was straight right, which was completely another hole. So I was bored and practicing and hit like 3 wedge shots to that green.... Then another group comes up to the green and putts their balls (because it was their hole not mine)... Then I figured out the hole was straight... So embarrassing. In my defense, I had gotten a concussion like a week before(which was my 5th to date), and was just finally starting to feel coordinated enough to golf. Definitely shouldn't have played.

Thinking back and looking at the scorecard I'm pretty sure it was 4 and that I was hitting to 11 green. it's hilarious because I've hit at the range 20 times yet only played there once.
[/quote]

Don't feel too bad about that. I did the same thing on the same hole. The first time I played there, I was teeing off on number 4 and sliced it onto number 11 fairway. Not even seeing the green for number 11 since it is in that drop off, I saw the one for 12, the par three and hit a beautiful shot right onto that green. I was really embarassed when the guys teeing off on 12 informed me of my error. How was I supposed to know that there were literally four greens in a circle there of about 70 yards. I have also seen guys hitting from the #11 fairway to the #14 green too. Sometimes things just happen. Thats why its always good to play with somebody with local knowledge, to help you avoid those situations.

[/quote]

I hit the range there on Friday. The course didn't look to be in too bad of shape. I was surprised, Pine Lakes can be swampy in spots in the middle of summer in a drought.

Finally got the first round of the season in today and I'll be playing again tomorrow. It's nice to be hitting off of grass instead of mats but unfortunately I'm having an issue with pushing my irons right or sometimes having a slice instead. I don't know what I did last year but I had fixed it for awhile at the end of the season, but apparently it's back.

I'm going to walk 9 at Good Park around 4:30 if anyone wants to join.

Sent from my iPhone using the GolfWRX Anti-Productivity App

I went to Brookledge tonight to do a little putting and chipping. They cut the greens and rolled them today! The practice greens were rolling @ probably 11 or 12 on a stimp!!!! The wind would actually start my ball rolling when the wind would gust. anything downhill and downwind was impossible to stop. Crazy fast for this time of year. The course was open and Tuesday leagues were playing.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1396402005' post='8999387']
I went to Brookledge tonight to do a little putting and chipping. They cut the greens and rolled them today! The practice greens were rolling @ probably 11 or 12 on a stimp!!!! The wind would actually start my ball rolling when the wind would gust. anything downhill and downwind was impossible to stop. Crazy fast for this time of year. The course was open and Tuesday leagues were playing.
[/quote]

That sounds much more enjoyable than the greens I've played on these past two days at Roses Run..

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1396402005' post='8999387']
[/quote]

11-12? Not saying I don't believe you since I've never played the course but that's insane. I don't think people can truly appreciate how fast 11-12 truly is and on April 1 after the winter we had it would be simply awesome.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

The club I worked at in Columbus got them to close to 13 for the member invitational, it was brutal. You just had to barely touch a putt from about 10 feet to have a chance of it stopping anywhere near the hole on level ground. Brookledge usually has some of the best greens around, and if they rolled out the moisture and mowed them yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least 10. That quick couple days a few weeks ago that the weather warmed up, I went down there and chipped and putted on that practice green at the south end of the range. It was unbelievably lightning fast, considering the conditions. Though it's a no frills course, the level of maintenance at Brookledge is second to none around here, dollar for dollar. They definitely make the most of what they have to work with, being a city owned course.

I've heard they have excellent greens-- I just think it would be remarkable to have a course in NE Ohio truly running 11-12 on the stimp... on April 1.

Not sure if anyone here has had the privilege to play any of the privates in and around Cleveland (and NE Ohio) but there are some VERY good ones with quick greens. I've played Brookside Country Club, The Country Club, Pepper Pike Club, Sand Ridge, Barrington, etc where some of them have been ~12 or so... But the fastest (and best I've ever played) are Lakewood Country Club. I remember playing one August afternoon where the dry erase board near the cart barn said something like "Keep it below the hole today, running at 14" and it was fun to play. Their greens are that good.... fast and pure... a coach of a pretty good team I know thinks they're the best greens he's ever putted on and he's played a lot of great places. I made 100+ feet worth of putts that day because if you got it started online it went in because you have never had to worry about having enough pace and they're so fast that you never actually need to hit a putt just stroke it. But I lipped out a 3 foot side-hill putt that I barely touched and it went 40 feet off the front of the green...

Now... chipping that day was NOT easy... Lol.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

I personally putt MUCH better on fast greens. I've always been good at reading break, just not so much at judging speed. I heard Sleepy Hollow generally has some fast greens, but possibly nearly unfair with the contour. But, you're right, try holding a green on an approach or chip on those types of greens. Makes you better appreciate what those guys on tv play on a lot of the time. Speaking of good greens, when is Windmill opening? And, I'm free next Thursday and Friday, and the weather (at this point) looks cool but decent, if you want to play.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1396496974' post='9008665']
I've heard they have excellent greens-- I just think it would be remarkable to have a course in NE Ohio truly running 11-12 on the stimp... on April 1.

Not sure if anyone here has had the privilege to play any of the privates in and around Cleveland (and NE Ohio) but there are some VERY good ones with quick greens. I've played Brookside Country Club, [b]The Country Club,[/b] Pepper Pike Club, Sand Ridge, Barrington, etc where some of them have been ~12 or so... But the fastest (and best I've ever played) are Lakewood Country Club. I remember playing one August afternoon where the dry erase board near the cart barn said something like "Keep it below the hole today, running at 14" and it was fun to play. Their greens are that good.... fast and pure... a coach of a pretty good team I know thinks they're the best greens he's ever putted on and he's played a lot of great places. I made 100+ feet worth of putts that day because if you got it started online it went in because you have never had to worry about having enough pace and they're so fast that you never actually need to hit a putt just stroke it. But I lipped out a 3 foot side-hill putt that I barely touched and it went 40 feet off the front of the green...

Now... chipping that day was NOT easy... Lol.
[/quote]

Took lessons there, never got to play it... Beautiful place