NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1396523320' post='9009483']Anyone here taken a driver head to a local body shop to get resprayed? I'm tired of looking at the scratched up crown of my R1 and am contemplating having it repainted in a matte black.[/quote]

I've never used it, but heard Continental Golf out of North Carolina does nice work and is fairly reasonable for refinishing a driver head (like around $40).

Sent from my iPhone using the GolfWRX Anti-Productivity App

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1396523320' post='9009483']
Anyone here taken a driver head to a local body shop to get resprayed? I'm tired of looking at the scratched up crown of my R1 and am contemplating having it repainted in a matte black.
[/quote]

Probably would just send it back to TM or one of the club re-finishers rather than a body shop, just me though.

Here's a link to the place I was talking about. Wasn't on my computer to do any searching. http://www.continentalgolf.net/ Maybe JW or someone has some experience/ knows of someone who does with them. I've only read good things here about them- seem to do top notch work and much more reasonably than I would have guessed.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I've painted a couple crowns myself in the past to varying degrees of success. It was a long and tedious process, and looking back I would have much preferred to have sent it out and have it done properly. I totally understand the turnaround time. If you've got something you don't mind playing around with, I'd experiment on it first. My first go round was pretty crappy, but I definitely learned a lot from sanding, stripping, painting, and repeating numerous times. In the end it ended up weighing a ton from the paint, and I learned that less is definitely more when painting. Some secrets I learned from experience- strip as much of the original finish as possible, mask it good (head, hosel, shaft, etc.), use a sharp exacto knife to get the edges perfect, and apply as light of coats as possible. Allow ample drying time between applications and try to wet sand as much of the imperfections after each coat with the finest grit sandpaper you can find (or even a nice lint-free cloth to buff the finish smooth). Don't strive for perfection, a few minor, unnoticeable blemishes are much better to have than loading coat after coat to try to make the finish perfect. Flat is much easier than gloss. Simple Krylon indoor/ outdoor spray paint worked best for me, though I have heard auto paint is possibly better but much more expensive and harder/ more "touchy" to work with. And, most importantly, allow it to dry for much longer than the directions suggest- I'd say up to a week before hitting a ball with it. Put the club somewhere dust free and let it sit at least a week somewhere warm and dry. At the end of it all though, I probably had $20-$25 worth of materials in it, and if you'd told me I could have had it done professionally for $15 more I would have gone that route without a second thought.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1396468726' post='9005199']
[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1396402005' post='8999387']
I went to Brookledge tonight to do a little putting and chipping. They cut the greens and rolled them today! The practice greens were rolling @ probably 11 or 12 on a stimp!!!! The wind would actually start my ball rolling when the wind would gust. anything downhill and downwind was impossible to stop. Crazy fast for this time of year. The course was open and Tuesday leagues were playing.
[/quote]

11-12? Not saying I don't believe you since I've never played the course but that's insane. I don't think people can truly appreciate how fast 11-12 truly is and on April 1 after the winter we had it would be simply awesome.
[/quote]

I played Firestone south last year the last day it was open before the tournament and the greens at Brookledge were faster than that. Most of the year Brookledge will roll around a 9 and they were crazy fast compared to normal. So that is why i guess it was around 11.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1396543426' post='9011865']
I've painted a couple crowns myself in the past to varying degrees of success. It was a long and tedious process, and looking back I would have much preferred to have sent it out and have it done properly. I totally understand the turnaround time. If you've got something you don't mind playing around with, I'd experiment on it first. My first go round was pretty crappy, but I definitely learned a lot from sanding, stripping, painting, and repeating numerous times. In the end it ended up weighing a ton from the paint, and I learned that less is definitely more when painting. Some secrets I learned from experience- strip as much of the original finish as possible, mask it good (head, hosel, shaft, etc.), use a sharp exacto knife to get the edges perfect, and apply as light of coats as possible. Allow ample drying time between applications and try to wet sand as much of the imperfections after each coat with the finest grit sandpaper you can find (or even a nice lint-free cloth to buff the finish smooth). Don't strive for perfection, a few minor, unnoticeable blemishes are much better to have than loading coat after coat to try to make the finish perfect. Flat is much easier than gloss. Simple Krylon indoor/ outdoor spray paint worked best for me, though I have heard auto paint is possibly better but much more expensive and harder/ more "touchy" to work with. And, most importantly, allow it to dry for much longer than the directions suggest- I'd say up to a week before hitting a ball with it. Put the club somewhere dust free and let it sit at least a week somewhere warm and dry. At the end of it all though, I probably had $20-$25 worth of materials in it, and if you'd told me I could have had it done professionally for $15 more I would have gone that route without a second thought.

[/quote]

I've done minor body work on cars before so I know how tedious it can get and I believe I have everything I needed except for the flat black paint. Did you happen to clear coat it as well? I'm also surprised to hear that it should settle for a week, I'd have thought that after a few days the paint would be mostly cured and able to be back in play as long as it sat in the right environment for thoe few days.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1396557224' post='9013871']
[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1396543426' post='9011865']

[/quote]

I've done minor body work on cars before so I know how tedious it can get and I believe I have everything I needed except for the flat black paint. Did you happen to clear coat it as well? I'm also surprised to hear that it should settle for a week, I'd have thought that after a few days the paint would be mostly cured and able to be back in play as long as it sat in the right environment for thoe few days.
[/quote]

I used clear coat the first time, I felt like it was probably the biggest contributor to adding weight to the head and probably inhibited the paint from drying all the way through. When I just used the Krylon, it seemed to be stronger, lighter, and dried more thoroughly faster. I made the mistake a couple times of not giving ample drying time. First time I let it dry overnight, and when I placed a headcover on it left texture imprints from the fabric of the headcover. The next couple attempts I waited two days, three days, four days, and every time after hitting balls at the range it left tiny, hairline cracks in the finish near where the crown met the face. My theory is that thought the outer layers of paint were completely cured, it probably wasn't completely dry all the way through, and when the crown flexed at impact it cracked the outer coats. Or possibly it was just the clear coat that cracked. Probably if I had the right equipment to really bake the finish hard, it may have completely dried sooner. But, my last attempt at painting a crown, I applied all my previous mistakes and did it correct and didn't rush the process, and I never saw a bit of fatigue or failure from the paint. After an entire season of play, other than some superficial chipping, scuffs and scratches, the finish was no worse for the wear. And, a quick, light sanding of the finish and about two quick, light coats of the same paint brought it right back to like the day I first painted it. Here's the '07 Burner TP 3wd that was my last attempt: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/928338-goirish17-witb-updates-in-progress-2182014-custom-wedges-added-callawrx2-clubs-being-added-to-first-post-as-well-as-some-club-hoing-everywhere-else-in-the-thread/#entry8108268 and if you scroll down a bit some more pics in comparison to my SLDR 3wd which you can also see the crown pretty well, which were taken after last season of playing it most of the year. I've since sold it (and a lot of other stuff in that WITB, and added stuff and haven't updated for a long time), but you get the idea, lol.

That's a good point about paint cracks I didn't really think much about the force that would cause tiny cracks to form. Maybe I'll wait until winter to paint it so I don't go 2 weeks without my driver head, or I'll keep an eye out for cheap R1 heads to replace it. I had bought this driver used and didn't think the sky marks would bother me (although I've put one or two of my own on there) but now it's becoming an eye sore.

Also, is the paint on the Burner flat black?

Irish,

Windmill is open right now but we haven't sent out an email informing anyone simply because of the current weather. We made a decision to open a few days ago when we were getting bombarded with calls so we let people come out and walk. We're letting carts out now but it's probably gonna be cart path only until the end of time.... Lol. Planning to send an email out letting everyone know the course will be open Monday.

I actually do know someone who works at a body shop that also knows how to paint clubs.... does work for some people around Windmill. But I know he's busy with the shop and I don't know his schedule or how long the turn around time is right now since he does it for friends and not as a job. I can reach out to him if you want-- Continental Golf is a safe bet though.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1396561387' post='9014265']
That's a good point about paint cracks I didn't really think much about the force that would cause tiny cracks to form. Maybe I'll wait until winter to paint it so I don't go 2 weeks without my driver head, or I'll keep an eye out for cheap R1 heads to replace it. I had bought this driver used and didn't think the sky marks would bother me (although I've put one or two of my own on there) but now it's becoming an eye sore.

Also, is the paint on the Burner flat black?
[/quote]

Actually, I am not sure if it was "flat" black, I seem to remember there being a couple different blacks in between flat and glossy, like matte or something. It was definitely closer to flat than gloss, but had a little bit of shine to it. I really liked the look- I bought it used and it was hammered on the crown. Plus, I've always not been a fan of crown graphics or alignment aids. The less on the crown the better.

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1396566171' post='9014781']
Irish,

Windmill is open right now but we haven't sent out an email informing anyone simply because of the current weather. We made a decision to open a few days ago when we were getting bombarded with calls so we let people come out and walk. We're letting carts out now but it's probably gonna be cart path only until the end of time.... Lol. Planning to send an email out letting everyone know the course will be open Monday.

I actually do know someone who works at a body shop that also knows how to paint clubs.... does work for some people around Windmill. But I know he's busy with the shop and I don't know his schedule or how long the turn around time is right now since he does it for friends and not as a job. I can reach out to him if you want-- Continental Golf is a safe bet though.
[/quote]

Hey JW, if the weather is nice next Thursday or Friday, are you able to get out and play in the morning or afternoon one day?

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1396566965' post='9014849']
Irish,

[/quote]

Hey JW, if the weather is nice next Thursday or Friday, are you able to get out and play in the morning or afternoon one day?
[/quote]

Potentially, I get a few weeks vacation and I have to take one next week (tough problem, I know... LOL) so I was gonna head to my hometown to see my mom at some point. If I'm back by then I can definitely play.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

JW- I'll shoot you a message later next week to see if you're able to

Hellstorm- Definitely let's hook up and play one of those days then. I'll talk to you also as it gets closer and the weather report starts to become more dependable.

Joe's a very important man. There are many people vying for his attention.

Anyone going to the opener today? I'll be at Panini's on E. 9th around 10:00-10:30 for a little while, then to the Parrot for a bit before game time. No game for me, just pregame. Have a couple things I need to do this afternoon, and I have a feeling it may get delayed.

[quote name='saltfish' timestamp='1396664211' post='9023851']
Going for a putter analysis/fitting tomorrow... I'll let you gents know how it goes. Looking forward to getting this season started!
[/quote]
Where are/ did you go? How was it? Any surprises?

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1396721519' post='9026959']
[quote name='saltfish' timestamp='1396664211' post='9023851']
Going for a putter analysis/fitting tomorrow... I'll let you gents know how it goes. Looking forward to getting this season started!
[/quote]
Where are/ did you go? How was it? Any surprises?
[/quote]

In a word, amazing. I went to Miles of Golf in MI this morning and got a fitting from Ken Johns - he couldn't have been anymore helpful.

They have a SAM puttlab and we started with "my" putter to baseline everything. My miss is to the right, and sure enough I kept "my" putter about 1.5 degrees open at address... I swear it looks square to me, but clearly it didn't suit my eye.

He asked if I had a preferences, I told him I didn't care about the brand, I'm not a milled-snob, I'm cool with inserts, I just wanted to stop guessing what was or wasn't right (and going through 3 or 4 putters a season) and get the club that was right for me. We ended testing about a dozen putters to find the right hosel/head shape. There was zero pressure on buying a putter/or a certain brand... but how do you not buy a new putter (especially when the scores with your current flat stick are the lowest of everything you tried)?

I'm still waiting on the report to get emailed to me but the results from old putter to new putter were pretty crazy. Loft, lie angle, hosel type - all different from what I was gaming (the hosel was a huge surprise - ended up with a plumbers neck but had always avoided them). An Odyssey #7 was probably the best putter I rolled in the last three years, so we threw one in the mix; I expected that to score well, and while it was an improvement over my gamer, it was more middle-of-the-pack from our test group.

I highly recommend the experience - regardless of where you go, getting on a SAM will tell you so much about your stroke and your tendencies. But, I would also make the drive to MI again in a heartbeat - Ken at Miles was just that great to work with.

I have done a SAM fitting as well, and you like it was eye opening for me. What I had always thought worked best for me ended up being further from what actually did work for me. I am seriously considering doing a fitting again with Flannigan this summer. I really like the look of the Flannigan built putters and will more than likely buy one sometime in the near future. But, I figure, for a few more bucks doing the fitting, I might as well go all out and get it done right and let the man building my putter see what works best for my stroke and make the appropriate adjustments.

[quote name='artist08' timestamp='1396572857' post='9015601']
Wait...why am I not part of this thread? I keep trying to get Joe to get back down to MB, but he's caught up with some golf league in CF? C'mon, man!
[/quote]

LOL, maybe someday Tim.

Is the band playing anywhere soon?

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I'm with you Irish - I spoke with Ken Flannigan and almost went to see him for a fitting and a putter... the only reason I decided to go to Miles was because I was a complete headcase; I had no idea what was right and I wanted a large section of putter styles to work through.

I left the fitting with a few things I may work on this year that could impact the loft I need in the putter. If I do work on those changes I'll setup a SAM session with Flannigan next year to see if a loft tweak is needed. Also, I wouldn't hate picking up one of his clubs - he makes some beautiful putters!

[/quote]

If you wouldn't mind whenever you do talk to him maybe I could get some info about having it repainted, or even if he can just repair the one skyball mark that is the worst with the same black (not sure how doable that really is though). I'm not really in a huge rush to fix it so whenever works for me.

Also, since the weather seems to be getting better are we still planning on trying to get people together on the 19th?

[quote name='joekelli' timestamp='1396754677' post='9029893']
[quote name='artist08' timestamp='1396572857' post='9015601']
Wait...why am I not part of this thread? I keep trying to get Joe to get back down to MB, but he's caught up with some golf league in CF? C'mon, man!
[/quote]

LOL, maybe someday Tim.

Is the band playing anywhere soon?
[/quote]

We have a ton of gigs next month, but this month is pretty light with being out of town and all. We'll have to get together and play, though!