NE Ohio Players

GoIrish17

[quote name='trentW' timestamp='1383332480' post='8089216']
[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1383330127' post='8089078']
Here's a list of courses I've played, and for brevity's sake I'll just give a 1-10 personal rating rather than go overboard with a full review. Maybe people can recommend courses to me based on what I like from this list of courses:

[b]J.E. Good Park- 6[/b] Well maintained for a municipal, and a fun lay out. Traditional. But, the collection of riff raff and lack of control by rangers on the course really hurts it in my mind

[/quote]

I hope you'll play Good Park a few more times. I have played there more than any course in my lifetime. I have not usually encountered "riff raff" there. And there are no rangers, but I don't often find slow play being a problem. I don't play weekend mornings, just afternoons, so you might be right about that.

The course is highly respected by serious players. It's too bad they don't have a bigger budget to do a few things there, though.

I hate seeing daylight savings time coming up next week! I love going right from the office to the driving range, and I can't do that now. But Ohio golf is really only five months anyway. :(
[/quote]

I will definitely play Good Park again. I liked the layout and thought it was excellently maintained for a municipal course. No gimmicks, just a straight ahead test of golf. Strike the ball well and you can score well. I never really felt like I was at much of a disadvantage playing there for my first time, because there were no blind tee shots, no weird doglegs or trees in the middle of fairways. It wasn't wide open off the tee, but it didn't take driver out of your hands or have holes that forced weird club selections like 7 iron off the tee followed by 4 iron approach. I was playing alone, which I know will affect my experience. I was just disappointed in the course management. There were more singles than groups on the course, and it was very slow for being a weekday afternoon. I normally prefer to be paired up when I get to a course alone, but when I asked in the clubhouse if they had any singles they wanted to pair up the guy looked at me like I was weird or something. I got stuck behind two fivesomes two separate times- one of which was out of control with college age kids and four carts weaving all over the course and spread throughout the length of most holes while I was stuck behind them for three holes before I finally just skipped ahead (since they didn't seem to be aware of the courtesy of letting faster groups play through). I also had a couple walk through the 18th fairway as I was teeing off- just looked like locals out for a stroll through the golf course. Good thing they were in the fairway, that was the safest place on the golf course with me teeing off.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind Windmill's set of par 3's but I can certainly understand the thoughts you guys have as well. 2 is a decent hole, I don't mind 8, 12 is brutal from the tees I generally play and I have always scored well on 14 even though its not necessarily my favorite hole out there. I always loved the place even before I worked there but I like courses that are tough and right in front of you. I hate gimmicky golf and I'm not a fan of courses that are riding (or basically) only like Boulder for example. Windmill has a lot of great par 4's and both par 5's are not exactly "gettable" either. I actually might try to play tomorrow afternoon if anybody is interested, I will take care of it if you come out. I'm not 100% sure if I will have time but I haven't played in quite some time and I'm playing 4 times at Kiawah Island in 5 days.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I am free all day tomorrow, if you want someone to play with I can message you my number and if you are able to go out shoot me a call or text. Just send me a pm and we can talk.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I was just out at Windmill Lakes yesterday and never even checked to see if anyone on here would be interested in going. It was definitely a rough round for me, though. I only played a few rounds with my new to me R1 but I definitely need some range time with it next spring. I was all over the place with it and it definitely punishes you for bad shots on some of those holes..

Is anyone up for freezing their butts off Friday? I have the day off and was planning on doing a "Hot Deal" on GolfNow.com somewhere. Probably in the early afternoon, to give it as much time to warm up as it's going to. I'd like to keep it to within 30-45 minutes of Cuyahoga Falls.

I have to work friday but I may try and get out Saturday since they're calling for nice weather. If you're available then I'd be interested in going somewhere. But I'm far from a good golfer (high 80s on a good day) and I know most people prefer to play with comparable players that are also around there age, so I'd completely understand not wanting to.

[quote name='OHrider' timestamp='1383754728' post='8109976']
I have to work friday but I may try and get out Saturday since they're calling for nice weather. If you're available then I'd be interested in going somewhere. But I'm far from a good golfer (high 80s on a good day) and I know most people prefer to play with comparable players that are also around there age, so I'd completely understand not wanting to.
[/quote]

I couldn't care less about your ability or age. I prefer to play with people who are fun and can carry on a little conversation. A round in the high 80's is well within my ability on any given day anyways. Unfortunately, I have to work Saturday during the day. Sunday the weather is looking alright also, but I had made plans to take a little road trip to visit my family in the Warren area.

Beware everyone... joekelli has this new move he likes to do where he takes a cart out of gear every time he gets out of it (sometimes he like to use the reverse beep, too). I don't know what he hopes to accomplish by doing it, but he will blame it on fat calves or something. Just wanting to warn everyone about it... Hahaha! (Don't be mad, Joe, you know it was pretty funny.)

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1383959191' post='8121548']
Beware everyone... joekelli has this new move he likes to do where he takes a cart out of gear every time he gets out of it (sometimes he like to use the reverse beep, too). I don't know what he hopes to accomplish by doing it, but he will blame it on fat calves or something. Just wanting to warn everyone about it... Hahaha! (Don't be mad, Joe, you know it was pretty funny.)
[/quote]

I really don't know what the heck was happening? I have never had that happen before, I think it was a faulty cart! I think your just fishing for an excuse for those duck hooks you hit all day!!!! :fishing1::swoon: LOL

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1383959191' post='8121548']
[/quote]

And you should be happy you got to witness how awesome the 1981 no name driver was!!!!!!!!!!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)

Yeah, I had a serious case of the hooks off the tee. And I loved the old driver. 1981 No Name, with a Matrix shaft. Probably tour issue. You struck it pretty well, though. It's always fun to pull an oldie but goodie out. Hit 'em good today, Joe.

I'm thinking I'm going to play Friday and Saturday if anyone is game. I'm free all day Friday, and need to be done by 3 or so Saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to try to set up a few rounds next year in September. I know it's a long way away but I'll probably circle back to this thread and pm a few people to see if anyone wants to play. I grew up in Ashtabula mostly playing courses in my county and between Mentor, Youngstown, and Erie, PA. My best friend here in Los Angeles agreed to travel back for about 10 days to play some courses from my home town. We settled on late summer/ early fall next year. He just told me he's moving to Georgia this month so I'm bummed and now have to look forward to this trip to see him again. We are both former Asst. pro's and play around 4 handicaps. There is NO way you will play with us and not laugh till it hurts, just a heads up.

I am looking to play a few rounds in Ohio, will definetly hit Little Mountain (if you have not played there you should put it on the list for next year ASAP!) Maybe Avalon Lakes and Longaberger. I know they are the pricier places but if he's coming from Georgia and me L.A. we're not playing the crappy muni's. I will probably play Whispering Woods and some of the private courses in Erie if any of you are extreme NE Ohio players. Also looking to go to Peak n Peek in western NY, phenomenal track used to host Nationwide.

I have played the Quarry and even being a pro bono round I wasn't all that impressed. I think we'll skip that. I might be into playing Sleepy Hollow. Maybe another course down near Avalon Lakes, like Walnut Run or some other nice track. I'm open to suggestions. I moved to L.A. 9 years ago so if anything new has popped up, or old that has really gone downhill let me know.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1386112108' post='8244062']
I'm going to try to set up a few rounds next year in September. I know it's a long way away but I'll probably circle back to this thread and pm a few people to see if anyone wants to play. I grew up in Ashtabula mostly playing courses in my county and between Mentor, Youngstown, and Erie, PA. My best friend here in Los Angeles agreed to travel back for about 10 days to play some courses from my home town. We settled on late summer/ early fall next year. He just told me he's moving to Georgia this month so I'm bummed and now have to look forward to this trip to see him again. We are both former Asst. pro's and play around 4 handicaps. There is NO way you will play with us and not laugh till it hurts, just a heads up.

I am looking to play a few rounds in Ohio, will definetly hit Little Mountain (if you have not played there you should put it on the list for next year ASAP!) Maybe Avalon Lakes and Longaberger. I know they are the pricier places but if he's coming from Georgia and me L.A. we're not playing the crappy muni's. I will probably play Whispering Woods and some of the private courses in Erie if any of you are extreme NE Ohio players. Also looking to go to Peak n Peek in western NY, phenomenal track used to host Nationwide.

I have played the Quarry and even being a pro bono round I wasn't all that impressed. I think we'll skip that. I might be into playing Sleepy Hollow. Maybe another course down near Avalon Lakes, like Walnut Run or some other nice track. I'm open to suggestions. I moved to L.A. 9 years ago so if anything new has popped up, or old that has really gone downhill let me know.
[/quote]

Check out Kennsington http://www.kennsingtongolf.com/

Boulder Creek http://www.bouldercreekohio.com/

The Sanctuary www.thesanctuarygolfclub.com

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1386112108' post='8244062']

[/quote]

Man, I am so with getting on board with this group. I may not be able to play all the rounds with you, but will definitely be interested in playing a few with you guys when you are looking for someone. I could probably find a few guys to get a nice little outing once or twice during it. Joekelli and I have played a few times, I actually just left him from having a beer. He'll play (like how I volunteered you, Joe?). I am originally from the Youngstown area, and now live in Cuyahoga Falls (between Akron and Cleveland). I could definitely suggest a few great courses in the Youngstown area. Whatever you are looking for- country club quality to inexpensive "hidden gem" type course. You are spot on including Avalon Lakes, and I would definitely suggest Squaw Creek in Vienna, near Liberty just north of Youngstown. It is a sister course of Avalon, owned by the same company. Squaw and Avalon both hosted an LPGA event up until about 10 (?) years ago when the sponsorship money got put in jail. Squaw is a different course than Avalon- Avalon is a Pete Dye layout, with lots of well placed bunkers and water. It can play out to over 7500 yards, but plays much shorter from the member tees. Squaw seems to play longer, because of shots you are forced to play and elevation change. It can play to almost 7400 yards, but at member tees plays shorter but tight through trees and creeks. Another good one to check out is Pine Lakes in Hubbard. Very reasonable price (like <$40 weekend peak time) and as good as any course around Cleveland. All of the courses I've mentioned, except maybe (?) Squaw Creek, have been on that Tee it up Ohio show on STO. Totally agree with Hellstorm, Kennsington is a joke, especially with what they're trying to steal from people there. Dead fairways, greens with dead spots and never a pitch mark repaired, unkempt tee boxes. Completely concur with the "[color=#282828]same naval bombardment as Omaha Beach" sentiment. [/color] Oak Tree is top notch, also in concurrence with Hellstorm. Another is Firestone Farms Link in Columbiana, Ohio. Probably 30 minutes south of Youngstown. It's a fun layout to play- a real links feel, and is always kept top notch. It's a little drive, but feels like a private club when you get away from their butt hole of a clubhouse.

[quote name='esketores' timestamp='1387149159' post='8304693']
Flanigan Bilt
He's out of the Chardon area. I don't think you'll find a better fitter in Ohio.
[url="http://www.flaniganbiltputters.com/"]http://www.flaniganbiltputters.com/[/url]
[/quote]

I was checking out that site, those are some pretty putters. I only wish there were more head shapes. I have a feeling I may be saving up $275 for one of those FB2's. The site doesn't really specify, but are there any customization available?

• 2 weeks later...

Golrish - Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I never knew it existed. I would be down for meeting up with anyone on here to play.
I typically play most of my rounds on Friday afternoon's. I'm 37 and usually shoot around 85-92. So around a 14-15. Club-ho just like the rest of us.

Some of the courses I typically play:
Raintree - near Green, in-between Akron and North Canton
Chenoweth - Right off Arlington Rd exit in Akron
Tam O Shanter - Belden Village area in Canton behind the Mall
Brookledge - Cuyahoga Falls
GoodPark - Akron
Fairways of N Canton (formerly Arrowhead Country Club)

My favorite of those is probably Raintree. From the whites it still plays around 6100-6200 which is about perfect for me as I am not a long hitter. maybe 220-230 off the tee.

Goodpark is usually a last resort for me. Its close to my office but the length of the doglegs eats me up unless my driver is spot on. I cant make most of the legs with a fw.

Brookledge is always fun. I like playing there because I tend to score well there. My avg for 9 holes is 44 and I usually flirt with 40 there.

Tam O Shanter is nice. 36 holes. "Hills" and "Dales" Courses. The Hills I think hosted a US Open Regional I think back in the day.
I host an annual scramble outing with my buddies and we usually play Tammy or Chenoweth.

I probably play Chenoweth the most, mainly due to the online deals and its easy to get to off the highway there.
Downside is it gets alot of play during the week from the senior crowd. So you have to battle it sometimes. I am more of the play 18 by myself in 2 hrs kind of guy. lol

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1389135048' post='8418071']
Golrish - Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I never knew it existed. I would be down for meeting up with anyone on here to play.
I typically play most of my rounds on Friday afternoon's. I'm 37 and usually shoot around 85-92. So around a 14-15. Club-ho just like the rest of us.

GoodPark - Akron

My favorite of those is probably Raintree. From the whites it still plays around 6100-6200 which is about perfect for me as I am not a long hitter. maybe 220-230 off the tee.

Goodpark is usually a last resort for me. Its close to my office but the length of the doglegs eats me up unless my driver is spot on. I cant make most of the legs with a fw.

Brookledge is always fun. I like playing there because I tend to score well there. My avg for 9 holes is 44 and I usually flirt with 40 there.

Tam O Shanter is nice. 36 holes. "Hills" and "Dales" Courses. The Hills I think hosted a US Open Regional I think back in the day.
I host an annual scramble outing with my buddies and we usually play Tammy or Chenoweth.

I probably play Chenoweth the most, mainly due to the online deals and its easy to get to off the highway there.
Downside is it gets alot of play during the week from the senior crowd. So you have to battle it sometimes. I am more of the play 18 by myself in 2 hrs kind of guy. lol
[/quote]

I'm surprised Seven Hills would not be a favorite. Seven miles east from Raintree. Nice course. Sable Creek is just down the road from Seven Hills.
And Mayfair is due north (a mile?) from Raintree.
Due west of Raintree is Turkeyfoot Lake.
The owners have put time, effort, and $$$ into Paradise Lake.
Same with Sunny Hill.
Heck The Kent State course for for the price is great. And they've put some money into it late in 2013.

If you're interested in club play Prestwick is very reasonable to join. They have a $20 "game" everyday that ends in "Y".

We're so lucky (not weather wise) in regards to the number of decent public play courses in the Akron area.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

I played Seven Hills, Fox Den Fairways (PAT course,) and Punderson St. Park in the direction of SW of Astabula County. Arkon is a good 90-115 minutes from where I will be located. That's a lot of driving to try to get 36 in. If I'm going to Akron area, it better be a pretty good 18 hole round because that's probably all I'll have time for. Unless it's empty and super quick round.

For that kind of driving, I'd really only be able to suggest Boulder or the Quarry towards the Akron area as worth the travel and hassle. There are a lot of great courses around here, but none I could suggest driving that far for. Only because the drive would take you past many courses just as worthy of playing. I know it's been mentioned, but Manakiki is not far from the extreme northeast corner of Ohio, being in the east side suburbs of Cleveland. One of my back home favorites that's situated right on the border of Trumbull and Ashtabula counties is Bronzwood. There's a small stretch of holes there that get a little boring, but there are probably 12 great holes of golf with lots of elevation changes. Some under-appreciated Youngstown area tracks are Pine Lakes, Oak Tree, Reserve Run, Knoll Run, Bedford Trails. Windmill Lakes is worth checking out too, but getting closer to the Akron market. Probably one of the generally all around best courses in the area.

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1389135048' post='8418071']

GoodPark - Akron

[/quote]

I played a lot of the courses you mentioned this fall, erock. I moved from the Youngstown area to Cuyahoga Falls the end of September, and went on GolfNow.com to book deal tee times and do some exploring. I still haven't gotten to play Raintree, Tam O'Shanter, or Fairways, but they will be high on my list when this crap weather breaks.

Kind've of topic, but can anyone here suggest a good instructor in the Akron area? I am going to try taking a few swing lessons to enter this season, but don't want to go to someone who's going to try to completely change my swing. Things I was hoping to improve/ accomplish are: ball striking consistancy, driving consistancy, short game/ chipping/ greenside, course management, and better control over ball flight/ fade & draw.

I've played Bronzwood, Oak Tree (was it private b4?), not a fan of Windmill Lakes. (played it a few times back in high school.) Also, played the Quarry 3 years ago and was not impressed at all. I'd much rather play Little Mountain over that. Or drive a shorter distance to play Peak n Peek upper course in extreme SW NY.

Little Mountain is a fun course, but the last time I played this past summer I was extremely underwhelmed by its condition. Maybe I caught it on a bad day. Oak Tree was private until a few years ago, and is still maintained as such. Can get a little pricey, but worth it and deals can be had there.