• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1392767398' post='8697377']
Speaking of Windmill, when is the demo weekend this year?
[/quote]

I believe the last week of April.

As for courses here's a couple off the top of my head to narrow down a list. Hopefully someone who has played any of these courses early in the season can chime in on course conditions.

- Turkeyfoot
- Rain Tree
- Boulder Creek
- The Sanctuary
- Seven Hills

Thoughts?

How about Brookledge? It seems to dry pretty well in my limited experience. Also, I've heard Roses Run and Oak Knolls are two better drying courses, but haven't played at either yet. I played at Fox Den last fall shortly after a thunderstorm and it didn't seem any worse for the wear for the most part. Most of the course seemed to sit on the higher ground in the area.

* edit- I think somewhere with a range is a prerequisite.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1392767398' post='8697377']
Speaking of Windmill, when is the demo weekend this year?
[/quote]

Always planned for last weekend in April... but weather depending... should be fine.

You guys can do your thing at Windmill but it will be wet I'm sure.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

Brookledge is nice as well, forgot about that one. Roses Run is also pretty nice but I like the layout of brookledge more (just my opinion). I've never played Oak Knolls so I can't comment on that course. And if we want a place with a driving range Roses Run may not be ideal for some. I believe every hitting bay uses a mat.

If we choose brookledge we'll have to eat somewhere else if people want food, but seeing as howe rd is around the corner I don't think that'll be an issue.

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1392826646' post='8701855']
Brookledge is nice as well, forgot about that one. Roses Run is also pretty nice but I like the layout of brookledge more (just my opinion). I've never played Oak Knolls so I can't comment on that course. And if we want a place with a driving range Roses Run may not be ideal for some. I believe every hitting bay uses a mat.

If we choose brookledge we'll have to eat somewhere else if people want food, but seeing as howe rd is around the corner I don't think that'll be an issue.
[/quote]

I'm all for Brookledge, since it's about 2 miles down the road, lol :) (actually getting ready to go get a haircut and hit a bucket at the range there). And there are food and drink options near there post round. There's a Rockne's right there on the corner, though with a large group of people a restaurant not be the best option. Do I hear Red Fox, Joe? lol. Plus decent driving range. I agree with Minteq, moisture is going to be an issue anywhere that time of the year, to varying degrees. I'm not sure if that should play a major role in the decision.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I am fine with playing anywhere. Brookledge is down the street from me so that would be nice but I really don't care. Ellsworth meadows would be another good course. They have a couple of holes that could be pretty wet but the rest drain well, And it is a fun track.

Touredge Exotics EXS Pro 9* Hzrdus Smoke yellow 6.5 60
Touredge Exotics CBX 119 15* Hzrdus smoke black 6.5 70
Touredge Exotics CBX 119 19* Motore Speeder TS 8.8HB

Touredge Exotics CBX 22* ironwood KuroKage 95 
Wilson C300 forged 5-GW  KBS C taper 130x
TM Milled grind 54*
TM High toe 58 atv grind
Bettinardi Inovai 5.0 CS,  Machine M2A converter & Bobby Grace AMG fat lady CS
TM TP5x

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1392568613' post='8679565']
April 19 at noon works for me. Though I'm not committed to Windmill being the course, I have a feeling weather and course conditions will be a potential issue anywhere we play that time of the year. Unfortunately, I don't have much insight as to what courses are best with moisture management, as I just moved to the area last September and had a little limited exposure previous to moving. I am open to anywhere (within a reasonable distance).
[/quote]
[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1392853542' post='8704747']
1. Brad Schultz
2. Brett J
3. Joe M.
4. Matt A
5. Bryan M.
[/quote]

Id totally do that but I'll be in Myrtle Beach that weekend for a short golf trip/vacation. If you guys change the date or have another outing you guys can definitely count me in.

Alright so just to figure out at least where we're playing let's decide between Brookledge (in Cuyahoga Falls) or Ellsworth Meadows (in Hudson). If no one has a preference we'll just randomly decide.

On a side note, for those who have played Firestone Private, would you choose to play the North or South course? I could do both but for the cost I'd rather choose one to do first and possibility do the other if I went again later in the year.

The South course gets all the notoriety but the vast majority of the people I know who have played both prefer the North course. (I've not played both.)

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='GSXR330' timestamp='1393017259' post='8717558']
Alright so just to figure out at least where we're playing let's decide between Brookledge (in Cuyahoga Falls) or Ellsworth Meadows (in Hudson). If no one has a preference we'll just randomly decide.

On a side note, for those who have played Firestone Private, would you choose to play the North or South course? I could do both but for the cost I'd rather choose one to do first and possibility do the other if I went again later in the year.
[/quote]

Well, given a choice I'd vote for Brookledge simply for the convenient location for me. Though Ellsworth Meadows is a nice track and not too far out of my way, so I'd have no problem playing there as well. As far as the Firestone question- sorry, never played either. Yet :)

[/quote]

If you've never played the South then it always has the tournament factor but the North is usually in better shape and IMO is a lot more fun. Having played both several times I would choose the North.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[/quote]

A vote for the North here - that's what I'd pick for my first trip there but you can't go wrong with either. Have a great time and let us know how it goes!

[quote name='saltfish' timestamp='1393253774' post='8733966']
[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1392853542' post='8704747']
1. Brad Schultz
2. Brett J
3. Joe M.
4. Matt A
5. Bryan M.
[/quote]

You can count me (devin) in too - I'm 95% in (unless travel for work comes up) and I'm cool with Ellsworth or Brookledge.
[/quote]

I might be able to get us a deal at Brookledge but I wouldn't know until we get closer to the date.

TM Milled grind 54*
TM High toe 58 atv grind
TM TP5x

What's with the name list? Am I the only one here not in the witness protection program?

[quote name='saltfish' timestamp='1393278532' post='8736756']
[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1393265801' post='8735318']
What's with the name list? Am I the only one here not in the witness protection program?
[/quote]

You're not the only one, I gave an alias - my real name is Carl Manneh... I just don't want anyone to know that.
[/quote]

lol

[quote name='saltfish' timestamp='1393253633' post='8733952']

A vote for the North here - that's what I'd pick for my first trip there but you can't go wrong with either. Have a great time and let us know how it goes!
[/quote]

Thanks. And yeah the general consensus (even from people not on here) is that the North course is more enjoyable, so I'll probably go that route. My other option is potentially doing a two day trip somewhere depending on what courses I can find within 5 or so hours of here that would be better than Firestone.

So it looks like Brookledge may be a better option if no one has a preference? And is everyone that's playing planning to eat afterwards as well?
Also, do we want to play rain or shine or have a back up date if the forecast calls for showers all day?

Brookledge is great by me. And, I'm sure I will stop and have a beer or two and get something to eat afterwards. Probably rally the old lady to meet up, too. There's a couple neighborhood (wings/ burgers) type places in the area that might be a better option than a full blown restaurant like Rockne's if we get a decent size group. As far as the weather, I say rain or shine [i]within reason[/i]. If it's going to be full blown thunderstorms or cold, then obviously we'll probably have to reschedule. Otherwise, I've got rain gear that makes a little spring drizzle tolerable. That time of the year it's really tough to plan around weather more than a week out, and even at that point it's a coin flip.

We can do Brookledge and then go to Rocknes just around the corner after the round. I would say in April we should play around noon and then we could be at Rocknes around 5ish. If that sounds good to everyone lets plan on it and i will try and get in touch with Scott(Course manager) and see what he can do for us. As of now it only looks like we need 2 tee times. Hopefully we can get a few more guys.

TM Milled grind 54*
TM High toe 58 atv grind
TM TP5x

Probably in depending on schedule, from the akron area but did undergrad in ytown.
I feel like the best courses for this in each area would be:
Akron-Cleveland: Pine Hills, Sleepy Hollow or Fowler's
Ytown: Kennsington, Firestone Farms or Reserve Run.
I love Pine Hills and Fowler's
Sleepy Hollow is the best conditioned muni I've ever seen in my life(with the most insane, enraging greens ever)
I like all the Ytown courses a ton too, Kennsington and FF are a more modern type course in my mind compared to reserve, but all 3 are awesome. Kennsington gets bonus points for being 2 minutes from the best mexican food on earth.

Once the sun actually comes out, Windmill will probably be viable and everyone will get a grand tour by the man,the myth, the legend- JW