Non-adjustable drivers.

Hi, is anyone else besides me still gaming a non- adjustable, shaft glued in the hosel, properly weighted, solid feeling driver or has most everyone gone the adjustable route? I have been more satisfied with my Titleist 909 D-2 than the newer ones I have tried. To me the sound and feel of the 909 are above what is currently available, and I have tried the 910 and 913 as well. Any thoughts? Thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never owned an adjustable driver. My opinion is that I should work on my swing rather than try to alter a club to correct a flaw. Maybe I am missing out, but again, just my opinion.

For what it's worth I have tried som of the adjustable stuff. I would be more likely to buy a club with a glued club head and movable weights than one with an adjustable hosel.

Just my $0.02

[quote name='bnha509' timestamp='1376843306' post='7698754']
I have never owned an adjustable driver. My opinion is that I should work on my swing rather than try to alter a club to correct a flaw. Maybe I am missing out, but again, just my opinion.

For what it's worth I have tried som of the adjustable stuff. I would be more likely to buy a club with a glued club head and movable weights than one with an adjustable hosel.

Just my $0.02
[/quote]

Since when did changing lie angle to fit your swing plane or adjusting loft to fit your launch angle become a flaw? That's 2/3rds of the normal adjustment options. Now, moveable weights are more to adjust purely for a swing flaw, since in theory they only adjust for direction/fade/draw bias.

Technology has advance and all of the OEM's are feeding the need for adjustment by the golfer and not a fitter. But with that being said, I buy adjustable drivers and never adjust them.

Callaway Mavrik SZ *9.0 (-1) w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Allendale
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I used to think the adjustable drivers were a gimmick, but I am really liking my solid feeling, custom properly weighted driver. I like having a driver that fits my swing rather then fitting my swing to a club. Hitting my R1 straighter then another driver I've tried.

And to the comment about working on their swing then changing the club.... Professional golfers were using lead tape to weight their clubs to fit their swing before there was adjustable weighting

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2007-09/gw20070907equipment

TM M3 9.5, Graphite Design AD DI 7x
TM M4 3 wood
TM p790 3 iron
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM4 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I play i20. Solid.

Taylormade M3 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/80141-ckays-witb-duw-update-on-pg-3/page__st__60__p__7710766__hl__+ckay#entry7710766"]WITB Link[/url]

flame suit ready...adjustable drivers are gimmicks that have less to do with the end user and more to do with the oem's being able to make a one-size-fits-all to further reduce manufacturing costs. their qc was bad enough before these things but now they barely even have to worry about tolerances for lofts and face angles. the only positive argument i can see for these is quick shaft removal for shaft fitting purposes.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1376851493' post='7699328']
flame suit ready...adjustable drivers are gimmicks that have less to do with the end user and more to do with the oem's being able to make a one-size-fits-all to further reduce manufacturing costs. their qc was bad enough before these things but now they barely even have to worry about tolerances for lofts and face angles. the only positive argument i can see for these is quick shaft removal for shaft fitting purposes.
[/quote]plus 1 on that

[quote name='LCP' timestamp='1376846836' post='7699024']
[quote name='bnha509' timestamp='1376843306' post='7698754']

Just my $0.02
[/quote]

Since when did changing lie angle to fit your swing plane or adjusting loft to fit your launch angle become a flaw? That's 2/3rds of the normal adjustment options. Now, moveable weights are more to adjust purely for a swing flaw, since in theory they only adjust for direction/fade/draw bias.
[/quote]hate to break it to you but adjust able weights are a sham, you literally need a 50 gram difference between heal and toe to have directional influence. Adjustable drivers are just an excuse to continue sloppy quality control practices. If the specs liked for a head were any where close to what you actually got.............

Taylormade Original One Mini 9.5° - DG x100
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
Srixon z765 5 iron S300
Wilson Staff FG62 6-PW - S300 Hard Stepped
TM HiToe 52°/56°/62° 
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport 330g 
2016 RZN Platinum (15 dozen in the garage)

Check out my Podcast "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify

I have yet to buy into the adjustable driver craze and really don't intend to anytime soon. I'm actually looking back to find a classic head. Currently going back and forth between an R5 TP and Cleveland Launcher Compz. Both are as long as the l909D2 I hit.

I liked the look if the covert Tiger played. I noticed it was glued together. If I could find one like that I may grab it.

I'm still using the Mizuno JPX-800 driver. Not one that is talked about a lot, but it's a bomber.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I will never buy another driver that is not adjustable...absolute must!
I play the most adjustable driver on the market...the R1.
I use the dual weights to chane swingweigh ; the ability to change shafts is very important; the loft changes...huge!
Of course face angle is also very important.

Of course l I will adjust due coarse conditions, and weather...very wortwhile.

Of course the tour pros also play adjustable drivers either like the one I play or they take it over to the tour van and get adjusted.
Either way it is adjustable.

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Accra TZ6/M4, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM DHY, #4 & 5, Diamana Thump HY, 105g X
TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 4 - PW, Project X LS, 6.5
TAYLORMADE P-770, 4 - PW, 10th LE Black Nippon Modus 115 X
TAYLORMADE MG2 CHROME, 52/9, 60/8, Hi-Toe 56/10, Project X LS, 6.5
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 53/9F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

I owned one adjustable driver. A TaylorMade Superdeep. I played around with it and found the same thing I always knew. I want the face to be a little open, and they same basic lie that I have played since the mid 1980s. So why fool around with it.

The drivers I own are: Mizuno MP 600 8.5, Bridgestone J33 8.5 (i own 2 of them. One is 9 degrees and the other one is 7.7 or so. Both say 8.5 on the sole) Cobra S91 Pro S, Taylor Made R510TP I like the Protopype shaft series by Aldila. Or old Penley shafts with real stiff tips. All the drivers have one of the other in them.

You can give me an adjustable driver. But I sure as Frell wont buy one. I have kept my average score for the last 20 years. And its been 74, doing it the old fashion way. Adding them all up and dividing by the number of scores. So I am not a hot low scoring stick, but not a hacker either.

Still play r510tp, no need to switch when have several with similar spec

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Only thing I like about adjustable drivers is the ability to switch out shafts with ease.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1376864877' post='7700636']
Only thing I like about adjustable drivers is the ability to switch out shafts with ease.
[/quote]

+1 to the statement of the day. It makes it simple to come up with some wicked combinations (and remedy flops) with ease. Adjustable drivers are a bit of a pain in the butt when you have a customer with a horrid swing purchase one with the thought that its going to cure all of their faults. I prefer to push lessons and proper swing mechanics over trying to cure a cannon ball wound with peroxide and a band aid.

[color=#0000ff]TaylorMade SLDR TP 10.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Srixon Z Steel 14.5* Miyazaki S3000[/color]
[color=#ff0000]Srixon AD 18* Matrix Studio 84
Srixon Z545 4-PW TT Dynamic Gold[/color]
Cleveland 588 RTX 50*, 54*, 58* TT Dynamic Gold
[color=#daa520]SeeMore FGP Precision Tour Milled[/color]

[quote name='justaman5' timestamp='1376863775' post='7700480']
I have kept my average score for the last 20 years.
[/quote]

Some people like to try things to improve their scores :taunt:

TM M3 9.5, Graphite Design AD DI 7x
TM M4 3 wood
TM p790 3 iron
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM4 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='mweaver84' timestamp='1376872831' post='7701566']
[quote name='justaman5' timestamp='1376863775' post='7700480']
I have kept my average score for the last 20 years.
[/quote]

Some people like to try things to improve their scores :taunt:
[/quote]

that's marketing talking. i think it's pretty safe to say that there hasn't been a single club (gimmick) invented that has statistically improved scores.

I was a skeptic. No longer... wind conditions and lie angle of my driver are important. I can on a not windy day bomb 10º balls to roll out. Nice at elevation, too. If it's breezy, I can crank down to 7.75º and play roll. I haven't changed my 3w and hybrid for conditions, nor have I needed to. But should I want to change shaft for any reason, I can relatively easily. Should I break a head, I can replace it without having to buy a new club. I can also change the swingweight to my liking without tape, angle without glue, and all with a simple tool.

I once thought that a well-fitted club was as good as the best setting you could do for yourself. At least as far as the driver goes, I see dramatic day-to-day, round-to-round benefits. Let's call it what it is; this is a stick-shift and not an automatic. Some will not want the manipulation. For me, the performance change has been dramatic, but that's the club. The tweaks of angle and face have been less drastic, but can be an extra 5-10y on the right day or conditions. Since there's not much associated extra cost, and the hosel is as solid as a glued hosel, I don't see a downside anymore.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I can after playing golf since 1973, hit it low with my driver. Or hit it high with my driver. I lived in South Carolina in the upstate for most of the 80s. The wind blows like Frell there during the spring. You either learn to hit it low, or the alternative I dont need adjustability with a driver, when u can do all the same with ball postiion and the height the tee is stuck in the ground.

If they perform the same, and allow you to experiment with shafts; I am not sure what the downside is. I love my RBZ tour don't really adjust it nor did I do so with my R11 once set, but it just performs.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1376876983' post='7702110']
Adjustable drivers are here to stay because they offer the ability to fine-tune the club to meet one's requirements (loft, face angle, etc.) and also make for easy shaft changes. The ability to change SW with removable weights is an added plus.
[/quote]

I am afraid that the poster previously nailed it, adjustable drivers are here to stay for economic reasons, that is it. These manufacturers now make a single head instead of half a dozen or more. Nowdays, even with a ridiculous number of current lines, a company like TM probably has fewer different driver heads than Titleist would have had 10 years ago. It is fundamental economics, they make savings by virtue of larger orders, they minimise risk by not having to stock many variants and they maximise availability for the very same reason.

Perhaps for the very frequent golfer, these clubs offer options but for a weekend golfer (which most of us are), they are a bit of a nuisance. Instead of just picking it up and enjoying your game, you have potentially dozens of variations you need to try out to get it right. I simply don't have the time and would much sooner go to the shop, check the monitor, hit on the range and have the job done there and then. I don't want to tweak it for next time. More than that, I still have to get a fit for the shaft.

And the last point, tolerances. As stated before, with adjustable clubs the tolerances become much less important because the club can compensate. Maybe the manufacturing processes have improved but, as someone with engineering in mind, it strikes me as hard to believe that the dispersion would be as good on an adjustable as it would on something fixed. I wonder would any manufacturer be willing to put that to the test with an iron byron?