Vibration dampening ways

Again, I need advise from guru here.

My dad, 75 yrs old HCP 5 golfer who has been suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for last 10 years, still plays golf every other day. I built a whole set just for him early this year and his game got much better in terms of consistency. I installed Winn Excel grips on his irons and woods, which I believed softest grip on market to damp after-hit vibrations. Treated with Methotrexate and steroid over +10 years, his joints are not like us. Range of movements and flexibility are limited and also fatigue. He doesn't complain any but just me worrying..

So Are there other additional options to dampening vibrations to his hands? I found 'Profsoft' inserts, Sensicore, and Bionic golf gloves. Any of these will help?

BTW, his current iron set is cavity forged head (Diablo) with senior flex graphite shafts (VS Proto)..

Thank in advance.

R9 SuperTri 9.5' V2 driver w/ 7M3
R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
TM 09 Rescue TP 19' w/ Ozik Altus
Mizuno MP14 3-PW w/ Black Gold
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='piusthedrgolf' timestamp='1377266135' post='7731092']
Again, I need advise from guru here.

My dad, 75 yrs old HCP 5 golfer who has been suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for last 10 years, still plays golf every other day. I built a whole set just for him early this year and his game got much better in terms of consistency. I installed Winn Excel grips on his irons and woods, which I believed softest grip on market to damp after-hit vibrations. Treated with Methotrexate and steroid over +10 years, his joints are not like us. Range of movements and flexibility are limited and also fatigue. He doesn't complain any but just me worrying..

So Are there other additional options to dampening vibrations to his hands? I found 'Profsoft' inserts, Sensicore, and Bionic golf gloves. Any of these will help?
BTW, his current iron set is cavity forged head (Diablo) with senior flex graphite shafts (VS Proto)..

Thank in advance.
[/quote]

The prosoft inserts should provide a little more improvement when added to the existing graphite shafts and are very inexpensive and easy to install. The Bionic gloves might help a little bit more as well. I use them when I'm hitting off mats for just that reason (although my arthritis is osteo).

Are the grips oversized? For some people the bigger grips can make it feel like you don't have to grip as hard but this is a bit subjective so you should start with a single club to make sure.

I have the sensicore inserts. Let me tell you. They work and do an awesome job. I isntalled them and was shocked at how they smoothened things out and made things much less harsh.

I will always install them in my clubs from now on.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1377270906' post='7731580']
In addition to soft grips and Bionic glove, also consider low-compression balls (Wilson Duo, Zip, etc.) which offer a softer feel at impact. As for inserts in graphite shafts, save your money.
[/quote]

Thanks you for clarifying my thought. Yes I doubted what the inserts going to do for graphite shafts also. Low-compression balls.... My understanding on compression of balls is .. if a golfer has fast SS, go with high compression balls and low SS, go with low compression balls. I didn't know it offers softer feel though. could you explain this little more?

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1377272828' post='7731825']
I have the sensicore inserts. Let me tell you. They work and do an awesome job. I isntalled them and was shocked at how they smoothened things out and made things much less harsh.

[/quote]

Even for graphite shafts?

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1377272475' post='7731795']
Are the grips oversized? For some people the bigger grips can make it feel like you don't have to grip as hard but this is a bit subjective so you should start with a single club to make sure.
[/quote]

No Standard size. I haven't thought about that but will try little bigger size on him. Thanks~

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

[quote name='piusthedrgolf' timestamp='1377273310' post='7731905']

[/quote]

[/quote]That I can't say. Put them in my TTDGS300 and was very impressed.

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1377273571' post='7731931']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The inserts in steel don't help as much as graphite but they can also be used in graphite to add a little additional shock absorption in addition to the graphite. Now that's assuming they will fit. I think some are specifically designed for the ID of a steel shaft. I know the prosoft's will fit in graphite. No experience with any of the others.

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1377276834' post='7732285']
OP -

The GolfWorks (www,golfworks.com) offers an arthritic grip for $2.49 ea. I have heard people rave about them for over 25 years.
[/quote]

Thank you.
I fount the product at The GolfWorks and will try it on his clubs.

To all, you guys are amazing~

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1377276543' post='7732255']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]The inserts in steel don't help as much as graphite [/b]but they can also be used in graphite to add a little additional shock absorption in addition to the graphite. Now that's assuming they will fit. I think some are specifically designed for the ID of a steel shaft. I know the prosoft's will fit in graphite. No experience with any of the others.
[/quote]The inserts in graphite don't help as much as in steel.

I think thats what you meant.

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1377280273' post='7732671']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]The inserts in steel don't help as much as graphite [/b]but they can also be used in graphite to add a little additional shock absorption in addition to the graphite. Now that's assuming they will fit. I think some are specifically designed for the ID of a steel shaft. I know the prosoft's will fit in graphite. No experience with any of the others.

[/quote]

No, I actually meant it the way I said it. Put another way, I was saying that Graphite w/o the inserts are much better than steel with inserts. Now it's true you might not get as much additional improvement with the inserts in graphite as you would in steel (which is what I think you were trying to say) but for someone where every little bit counts, it can still make a difference.

[quote name='Stuart G.' timestamp='1377281010' post='7732755']
[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1377280273' post='7732671']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, I actually meant it the way I said it. Put another way, I was saying that Graphite w/o the inserts are much better than steel with inserts. Now it's true you might not get as much additional improvement with the inserts in graphite as you would in steel (which is what I think you were trying to say) but for someone where every little bit counts, it can still make a difference.
[/quote]oh ok.

[quote name='piusthedrgolf' timestamp='1377273232' post='7731893']
[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1377270906' post='7731580']
In addition to soft grips and Bionic glove, also consider low-compression balls (Wilson Duo, Zip, etc.) which offer a softer feel at impact. As for inserts in graphite shafts, save your money.
[/quote]

Thanks you for clarifying my thought. Yes I doubted what the inserts going to do for graphite shafts also. Low-compression balls.... My understanding on compression of balls is .. if a golfer has fast SS, go with high compression balls and low SS, go with low compression balls. [b] I didn't know it offers softer feel though. could you explain this little more?[/b]
[/quote]

A low-compression ball is easier to compress and offers a softer feel at impact, especially for those with slower SS. Easy enough to demonstrate by hitting a Wilson FG Tour X (116 comp.) and then hitting a Wilson Duo (55 comp.). For those with high SS, however, the low-comp ball will feel like a marshmellow and distance off will suffer due to over-compression.

[quote name='turnbowm' timestamp='1377288313' post='7733359']
A low-compression ball is easier to compress and offers a softer feel at impact, especially for those with slower SS. Easy enough to demonstrate by hitting a Wilson FG Tour X (116 comp.) and then hitting a Wilson Duo (55 comp.). For those with high SS, however, the low-comp ball will feel like a marshmellow and distance off will suffer due to over-compression.
[/quote]

Thank you for the information. I will try get him ZIP or Duo.

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

I know an older guy I play with who has very similar issues. He also used Excel grips but from what he says, though soft and tacky, doesn't exactly dampen vibration just because of it. He uses graphite shafts already and recently found success going with the oversized GP VDR grips. He noted that though not as soft feel or tacky as the Excels, somehow he feels less vibration from impact to both ball and turf. Might be worth a shot to try them on just one club to see if it helps.

Wishon 919THI 11*/ SF ss75
Wishon 949MC 16*/ SF ss75
JPX - 825H 19*, Fli Hi 22*
(4-P) Wishon 575MMC CB/ S2S Stepless
Vokey SM4 50,54,60

[quote name='ST7' timestamp='1377292031' post='7733693']
I know an older guy I play with who has very similar issues. He also used Excel grips but from what he says, though soft and tacky, doesn't exactly dampen vibration just because of it. He uses graphite shafts already and recently found success going with the oversized GP VDR grips. He noted that though not as soft feel or tacky as the Excels, somehow he feels less vibration from impact to both ball and turf. Might be worth a shot to try them on just one club to see if it helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation too. Stuart G. also recommended to go little bigger size grip too. it's on my things to try note. Thanks.

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58

I'm 13 years younger than your dad but thought I was going to have to quit golf from arthitis pain in my hands a year and a half ago (I was however using steel iron shafts).

Steelifber shafts are the bomb for me and have kept me in the game, and I play and practice up to 5 times a week in this season. On all my irons including my wedges.

I use midsize grips. (tried reg size for a week this year and had to get them replaced due to pain.) I've tried the Winn grips but don't like the lack of durability. Also have used Lamkin arthritic grips on a couple of wedges I experimented with steel shafts, and they dampen well but feel a bit wierd to me with the nubs (for lack of a better name). I've used the Golfpride VDR midsize almost exclusively for a year and a half and their feel and vibration-dampening is fine for me.

All the best for you and your dad on this journey.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G410  5 wood (at 16.5°) &  7 wood ( at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  22° & 26° hybrids  Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A

Vokey SM6 49.07F, 54.08M, 58.08M Steelfiber i80 R

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW - I recently installed ProSoft inserts in by KBS Tour (S) shafts - very nice. I do not notice any diminished feel, but a noticeable decrease in vibration on mishits. You can still feel the difference - so feedback is maintained. Contrary to what I have read that they have no effect on swing weight, I did notice an average 0.7 decrease in swing weight over 9 irons (4i-LW) - not enough for me to tell. IMHO, the vibration dampening over the years can only help lessen the risk of issues with wrists, elbows...

Ping G Driver, 9 degree; Fujikura Speeder Evolution 2 569 Stiff; 44.75"
Ping G 14.5 degree 3 metal; UST Mayima Tour Black Stiff 69
Ping G 19 degree hybrid; UST Mayima Tour Black Stiff 79
Ping S55 5-PW, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping i210 4 iron, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54 and 58 degree, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping Anser Milled #3
Bridgestone B330RX Tour

PS - I have played with both Sensicore and Cushin in the past and the ProSofts feel the same.

Ping G Driver, 9 degree; Fujikura Speeder Evolution 2 569 Stiff; 44.75"
Ping G 14.5 degree 3 metal; UST Mayima Tour Black Stiff 69
Ping G 19 degree hybrid; UST Mayima Tour Black Stiff 79
Ping S55 5-PW, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping i210 4 iron, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54 and 58 degree, KBS Tour V stiff
Ping Anser Milled #3
Bridgestone B330RX Tour

Go oversize on grips to add rubber dampening.
- To large hardly give any issues like to small does. so let him try both MID and Jumbo (Tour Velvet), or JumboMax

If his play style is "Links Golf" where he "roll it in", the softest balls are Ladies models, and for his driver and tee shots it might give him a better total distance from more roll out, but if he plays "Target golf" and need spin for stop, he should play the softest Tour model you can find. Dont forget that there might be up to 3* difference in launch angle with a wedge between to ball models who is equal on spin value, so here might be both comfort and game improvement to get from another ball than he plays.

He already got Graphite shafts, so adding Pro-Soft inserts cant make them worse

+1 on a lot of suggestions in here. Especially the softer ball post above me.

Wilson offers balls ranging from 40-75 compression, and they produce arguably the softest contact feeling of any ball you will find. The Bridgestone Lady Precept is also exceptionally soft on contact, it is advertised as the "softest ball bridgestone makes" - And I'd agree, it's softer than the E6.

Prosoft Inserts are a great option, they cannot possibly hurt to try them. Larger and even non-taper grips(Also, Arthritic grips) can also help a great deal, My farther attributes much much larger grips to the enjoyment he is able to still maintain while golfing after the age of 65. I've been golfing with my father for over 20 years, and about five years ago(around 60 or so) he made the change to Graphite shafts and larger grips and says he's never been more comfortable with his clubs and the way the vibrations affect him. He uses Proforce graphite iron shafts in regular flex and Non-Tapered Tacki Mac Arthritic grips with 7 strips of build-up tape running the full length. He says the less his hands have to close to grip the club effectively, the better his forearms will feel after the round. I should note, My Father is 6'8" tall and has HUGE hands.

Arthritic grips help the hands hold the club with a really really aggressive "Bite" into the skin with a light grip pressure. You almost don't even need to grasp down for the club to stay in your hands.

Edit: It is VERY hard to find the Tacki Mac non-taper Arthritic grips any more. They were hard to find five years ago, and almost impossible now.

This is the exact grip my father uses:

04D1487F-6BDB-4F68-97FA-1301CD25B008.jpg

He builds those up to be pretty big, 7 layers under the grip. It is the ONLY grip he will use, Even has one on his putter.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

Thank you all for suggestions.
I recently got Wilson ZIP balls for him. One step by step approach will be made. Since he doesn't complain any vibrations or pain in his wrist/fingers, it's just my worries. All the good suggestions and recommendations are logged and will try one by one if I feel it's necessary. Once again, thank you all for great suggestions. This is good stuff.

R9 TP 15' 3 wood w/ 7M3
Ping Anser 2 Putter
Mizuno MPT 53, 58