2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is the PGA Tour/Media focus on Tiger hurting the Tour?

BlackDiamondPar5

I ask the question of whether folks think that the media and pga tour's obsession with Tiger is detrimental to the tour? There are plenty of other great golfers that should be marketed by the tour and followed by fans when Tiger isn't in contention, but because of media hype he's the only guy some people know.

For instance when I was at the PGA Championship on Sunday, even when Tiger was far off the lead, the media entourage and gallery was ridiculous. He was once again was the "marquee group" (did they invent that for Tiger?), with a crews of cameras, broadcasters and security that was far larger than those well ahead of Tiger. The entourage was so large that Tigers grouping even had a tee time 20 mins behind those he followed, while all the others were at 10 min intervals.

Seriously I get it...if Tigers in contention then it's history in the making and he needs to be followed. But when he's well off the lead it seems that the tour and media should be marketing some of the other great and interesting golfers instead. Too many eggs in one basket is always trouble.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It is not to bash him but any league or sport where they focus on one player is not good in my mind. Look at cycling and Lance Armstrong, baseball Barry Bonds, Clemens and A Roid. Some of the greatest in the sport who turned out to be PEDs cheaters or "degnerate" gamblers. And I am not just talking about Pete Rose. I will not name the guy's name.

Maybe I read the tee times wrong, but it looks like Kuchar and Woodland were at 1:50, Tiger and Chappel were at 1:40 and the next group was at 1:30, so not sure were the 20 minute break was.

As for the other stuff, are they supposed to force the media to follow other golfers? Should security follow players that don't need security (the tour doesn't have security follow him because they want to, its because they have to)? The tour will market other players, but Tiger moves the needle more than any other player, and since they are running a business, it makes sense to market him more than anyone else.

Since you brought up the topic, you should present a solution. How does the PGA Tour tone down their marketing of Tiger and still generate the profits that they do each year? Why would a business take a proven money maker and stop promoting that person?

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1377565815' post='7750169']
Maybe I read the tee times wrong, but it looks like Kuchar and Woodland were at 1:50, Tiger and Chappel were at 1:40 and the next group was at 1:30, so not sure were the 20 minute break was.

As for the other stuff, are they supposed to force the media to follow other golfers? Should security follow players that don't need security (the tour doesn't have security follow him because they want to, its because they have to)? The tour will market other players, but Tiger moves the needle more than any other player, and since they are running a business, it makes sense to market him more than anyone else.

Since you brought up the topic, you should present a solution. How does the PGA Tour tone down their marketing of Tiger and still generate the profits that they do each year? Why would a business take a proven money maker and stop promoting that person?
[/quote]

You were looking at the wrong day. You will notice 20 minute gap between Kaymer's Group and Wood's group while others are 10.

[url="http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/8/10/4609898/pga-championship-tee-times-2013-sunday-final-round"]http://www.sbnation....day-final-round[/url] 10:15 a.m. Harris English Danny Willett 10:25 a.m. Martin Kaymer D.A. Points 10:45 a.m. Brooks Koepka Tiger Woods 10:55 a.m. Paul Casey Ryan Palmer 11:05 a.m. Ryan Moore Chris Kirk

As for your points, they (PGA tour and media) have fueled the frenzy and it won't be undone that easily. I believe they should transition from the Tiger model and start focusing on other great golfers. This issue wasn't created over night and won't be quickly undone either. As for profits, they need to diversify to protect revenue and start planning for a day when Tiger is less dominant, and that day is coming sooner than later.

I think Frankie Lob Wedge pointed out the pitfalls of continuing down this track.

I see all of this as a revolving door. Casual fan only wants to watch Tiger because they don't know any of the other players, but they don't know of any of the other players because they only watch Tiger. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Whether you like Tiger or can't stand him.....he's still the story. Just like he's been for over 15 years.

No. They're not making a mistake.

GolfWrx is not the most reprentative sample of golf fans. GolfWrx is filled with ridiculous golf fans who are obsessive over all things golf. (myself included)

There's a disconnect between what Tiger actually is versus what Tiger used to be.

A lot a golf fans don't remember what it was like 15-16 years ago to see the things Tiger was doing and the non-golf fans that were paying attention.

My Grandmother died almost 6 years ago at the age of 84. She didn't give a tinkers damn about golf between 1950 and 1990. During that time both my Dad and I won golf golf tournaments - she would clip things out of the paper - and golf was a by part of our family life.

Tiger came along and wins the Masters and all of the sudden my sweet Grandma is skipping lunch on Sunday after church to get home and watch Tiger.

To repeat myself: The Tour isn't making a mistake anymore than an NBA coach is making a mistake by putting his 5 best on the floor.

Even the haters tune in to watch Tiger.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1377565460' post='7750133']
Yes. It is not to bash him but any league or sport where they focus on one player is not good in my mind. Look at cycling and Lance Armstrong, baseball Barry Bonds, Clemens and A Roid. Some of the greatest in the sport who turned out to be PEDs cheaters or "degnerate" gamblers. And I am not just talking about Pete Rose. I will not name the guy's name.
[/quote]
sorry but what the hell r u talking about, this is a golf forum, nothing u said has anything to do with golf. we are all now dumber for reading ur drivel.

I think in the short term, myopic coverages are a cash grab to maximize earning potential for the association or league.

In the long term, it inevitably it sets up a lull in interest and just a general void.

See: The NBA post MJ

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I don't understand why some of you guys still can't get this. Tiger IS the needle [size=4]for golf on TV[/size]
[size=4]155% increase in ratings even though the tournament was decided on Friday with his 61 at the Bridgestone. It really shouldn't be this hard for some of you to come to grips with. [/size]

[url="http://t.golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/05/tiger-woods-wgc-bridgestone-tv-ratings/"]http://t.golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/05/tiger-woods-wgc-bridgestone-tv-ratings/[/url]

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1377564586' post='7750051']
I ask the question of whether folks think that the media and pga tour's obsession with Tiger is detrimental to the tour? There are plenty of other great golfers that should be marketed by the tour and followed by fans when Tiger isn't in contention, but because of media hype he's the only guy some people know.

For instance when I was at the PGA Tourney on Sunday, even when Tiger was far off the lead, the media entourage and gallery was ridiculous. He was once again was the "marquee group" (did they invent that for Tiger?), with a crews of cameras, broadcasters and security that was far larger than those well ahead of Tiger. The entourage was so large that Tigers grouping even had a tee time 20 mins behind those he followed, while all the others were at 10 min intervals.

Seriously I get it...if Tigers in contention then it's history in the making and he needs to be followed. But when he's well off the lead it seems that the tour and media should be marketing some of the other great and interesting golfers instead. Too many eggs in one basket is always trouble.
[/quote]

Well, I think there is a real distinction between the PGA Tour and the media. They have different intentions. The PGA Tour as an organization does serve the tour members, and the growth of the tour itself ... negotiates media and tournament contracts, keeps the thing running. The Tour does emphasize Tiger (to some degree), which is in line with their mission (even a lot tour members will say quite publically that Tiger has done a significant amount for the game - including their purses). But it also focuses on a lot of the players ... in fact, anyone that is likely to be a draw. And it also talks about things like the charitable giving that tour events generate. It maintains the brand. The PGA Tour itself is a non-profit organization.

The media is distinctly different. It is definitely for-profit. It does not see its purpose as doing something that is "good for golf", or any of the players. It doesn't think it is supposed to create public opinion or perceptions - rather, it responds to public opinion. When it sees huge crowds around one player, and sees viewership increase by a statistically significant amount when one guy is in the field (even if he isn't winning) ... the coverage is naturally commensurate with the demand he creates. Coverage seems to me to fairly accurately be distributed according to what most of the audience wants to see.

This is not always what golf fanatics want to see, But (as one of the fanatics), the combination of the PGA Tour doing what it does, and the media doing what it does has made being a fanatic a lot easier. Yes ... perhaps one or two pro players get more attention than some would like ... but as a result of the growth of the game, I now get to watch insane amounts of golf. The EU tour in the mornings (often three full hours). The PGA Tour in the afternoons (at least three hours, sometimes more). And a decent amount of LPGA, Web.com, and the Champions. Many here can probably remember even a decade ago when you maybe got to see two hours of Thursday and Friday rounds, an occasional EU event, and mostly just the majors for the LPGA and Champions. So from my perspective ... whatever the PGA Tour and the media are doing, they seem to be doing it in a way that is pleasing the majority of fans, and growing the game.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Media functions strictly on what will deliver eyeballs to ad dollars.

Nothing else.

You see TW.

It because that is what the most people, who buy the stuff from those who put up the money to let you see golf, want to see.

Keeping in mind, if TW consistently starts to stink, you will see him less.

I imagine it was the same for Arnie or Jack. They kept showng them even as they started to fall of and then they pulled the coverage away more and more.

For instance when I was at the PGA Tourney on Sunday, even when Tiger was far off the lead ...
[/quote]

Seriously I get it...if Tigers in contention then it's history in the making and he needs to be followed.
[/quote]

Didn't the guy birdie two of the last three holes and lose by one on one revolution of the ball on the 72nd hole?
Yeaaaaaaaaah, would have been genius for them to not put that on TV. Advertisers and fans would have been really happy.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1377573945' post='7750975']
For instance when I was at the PGA Tourney on Sunday, even when Tiger was far off the lead ...
[/quote]

Seriously I get it...if Tigers in contention then it's history in the making and he needs to be followed.
[/quote]

Didn't the guy birdie two of the last three holes and lose by one on one revolution of the ball on the 72nd hole?
Yeaaaaaaaaah, would have been genius for them to not put that on TV. Advertisers and fans would have been really happy.
[/quote]

Wrong tournament. I'm talking about the PGA Championship. He was never in contention during the weekend, especially on Sunday and finished 14 strokes off the lead at T40.

[quote name='xabia' timestamp='1377572434' post='7750839']
I don't understand why some of you guys still can't get this. Tiger IS the needle [size=4]for golf on TV[/size]
[size=4]155% increase in ratings even though the tournament was decided on Friday with his 61 at the Bridgestone. It really shouldn't be this hard for some of you to come to grips with. [/size]

[url="http://t.golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/05/tiger-woods-wgc-bridgestone-tv-ratings/"]http://t.golfweek.co...one-tv-ratings/[/url]
[/quote]

I don't doubt it. But is it good to put all your eggs in one basket? What if his career suddenly ends... then what? Then people would be saying too bad the PGA tour didn't do a better job marketing some of the other great players as well.

It's not good business to bank on one product at the expense of others. Just ask Kodak or Xerox or....

The tour has the commercials showing a bunch of top players as kids and how they were "born to play". Plenty of players have had the opportunity to capitalize on exposure (Bubba, Dustin Johnson, Rory, Poulter, Sergio, Fowler, etc.). The reality is certain players move the needle and, as someone said above, Tiger is the needle when it comes to golf.

Tiger's existence and his run for the records has had a huge impact on viewership and money on the tour. It is what it is.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I don't think its hurting the game. I remember growing up playing golf, I was teased by some kids, calling it an "old man's sport". It all changed when Tiger came onto the scene with the "I am Tiger Woods" commercial and his first Masters win. The people who teased me 20 years ago are now regretting that they never started golf earlier.

Here's why I think people follow Tiger. Even though he hasn't won a major in the past few years, he still have 5 wins this year. Other than Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, and Rory, the majors in the past few years have been won by first-timers. It's been a new winner after new winner. Or as I would call it "unfamiliar" face after another. But who are we familiar with? Thats Tiger Woods, and I think we have a certain expectation of how he should perform at every event (whether those expectations are fair or not, is another topic).The past few years we've seen a lot of one-hit wonders. Not to take anything away from Jason Dufner, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win another major. Just look at the chart here:
[attachment=1853145:majors.JPG]

It's human nature to follow the familiar face and it applies to any sport. The reality is, I think a lot of people out there are still interested in "how close will Tiger get to Jack" than "how close will the field get to Tiger's 14 majors". Others play to win, Tiger plays to make make history.

Tiger really expanded the market of golf, and he showed the world that you have to be an athlete to be the great in golf. And let's not forget the money that is involved now, not only for the other golfers, but also for ANALYSTS and REPORTERS. Guys like Nick Faldo are getting paid more money to talk golf because of Tiger. Everyone is making more money because of Tiger. EVERYONE profits directly or indirectly. Which magazine cover would sell more "Tiger's 5 New Swing Tips" or "Martin Kaymer's Lessons and How It Can Help You"?

To go a bit off-topic here, Charles Barkley said he is blessed to have played in the Michael Jordan era because everyone made more money because of him, and everyone now in the NBA is making more money because of Michael Jordan. There are a few people who have that kind of affect, and Tiger is one of them. Whether in contention, or tied for 40th, there are just certain athletes attention is drawn to, for whatever reason....Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, Lebron James....etc

I believe that in sports, you don't "pass" the torch. Somebody has to take it and run with it. Since no one has been able to do that YET, the media has no reason to divert their attention away from Tiger.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

you people have to first understand MEDIA.

Media has come a long way and it is the controller of the world now..

Back when the greats played, Hogan, snead, palmer, Nicklaus; they didn't have this.

its all about money now. and they will be on the best until the best cannot do it anymore. they are not stupid.

now, the best and that has been the best for a long time now. has won 5 times this year. yes, no majors but that doesn't matter... only to self ignorant golf fanatics that only believe a major rests in the hands of the best. anyways....

you will see more and more of tiger woods because he is the best. just deal with it people.

other people will win, you cannot win them all, obviously.

BUT!

When you have 5 wins, you will definitely be more inclined to be in the spotlight no matter what.

Tiger will get bad news and good news his whole life because of his accomplishments.

I actually feel bad for him because of todays scrutiny and compulsive coverage. unlike the old greats that had no pressure in that way.

Yet he has still accomplished, and broken records regardless.

To me it is truly impressive. and I hope he continues his way.

Eldrick is the points leader in one of the biggest end of season tournaments of the year. Winners of this tournament take home $$$$$ and it's regarded as an Unofficial who is the best in golf. As such he does merit coverage on how he is doing in the remaining tournaments as would be the case with anyone in a similar position.

That said, if he is not in the mix only an occasional update is needed on his progress, not constant coverage of so many of his shots.

We are missing in some of the race with the real contenders for the win that week and they are being overlooked to pan on Eldrick. Let's show the potential winners of the tournament that week whomever they are and lay off the Eldrick coverage on when he farts or chips or ........

Pre Tiger the tour and golf media were trying to generate interest by promoting just about anybody who won something. Even now you can see the remnants of that policy in the leftovers of print media and the net media. Back then there was comparatively very little interest that could be generated in golf except among golfers. Sort of preaching to the choir.

Tiger's arrival brought such interest that even non golfers came and watched. That continues today regardless that he is no longer delivering the miraculous wins that used to come with such frequency we came to expect it.

You really have to understand that every salesman who is worth anything will want to sell a product that sells itself rather than one that needs a lot of effort to sell.

Shambles

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1377580767' post='7751353']
Pre Tiger the tour and golf media were trying to generate interest by promoting just about anybody who won something. Even now you can see the remnants of that policy in the leftovers of print media and the net media. Back then there was comparatively very little interest that could be generated in golf except among golfers. Sort of preaching to the choir.

Tiger's arrival brought such interest that even non golfers came and watched. That continues today regardless that he is no longer delivering the miraculous wins that used to come with such frequency we came to expect it.

You really have to understand that every salesman who is worth anything will want to sell a product that sells itself rather than one that needs a lot of effort to sell.

Shambles
[/quote]

don't contradict yourself. that's the worst.

Tiger is probably the best player in the world right now, top 5 for sure. He (and only he) has a chance to be the best ever with a handful of major victories. Thereby, he drives the world of pro golf.

If he is leading, he is news. If he is middle of the pack, he is news. If he is sucking, he is news.

I am not a fan of the person, but of the talent. And if they showed every shot he hit for the next 5 years, no matter where he is in the event I think that would be appropriate.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

I just look on the tour at crowds following groups ...... the way CBS made it sound on Sunday that most everyone was following Tiger's group and there was hardly anyone following the final group .... some don't want to admit it and get pissed when this is mentioned but Tiger draws interest at PGA tour events more than anyone else ... and it might be more than any player during the modern era ... it sure seems that way anyway

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1377565460' post='7750133']
[/quote]

wat

It is boring and undoubtedly ruining the viewing experience for golf fans who have an interest in all the players.....but the tour and networks simply don't care.

MONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYamazingMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYdeliciousMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYgloriousMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYbeautifulMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYMONEYweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

For instance when I was at the PGA Championship on Sunday, even when Tiger was far off the lead, the media entourage and gallery was ridiculous. He was once again was the "marquee group" (did they invent that for Tiger?), with a crews of cameras, broadcasters and security that was far larger than those well ahead of Tiger. The entourage was so large that Tigers grouping even had a tee time 20 mins behind those he followed, while all the others were at 10 min intervals.

[/quote]

Not a direct answer to your question but I wish the US telecasts would show more players during a round. If nothing else it would show a more realistic view of the players.