2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is the PGA Tour/Media focus on Tiger hurting the Tour?

BlackDiamondPar5

I didn't catch Sundays golf, but the days i did catch were probably the worst feeds i have seen. The coverage was absolutely abysmal. 1 maybe 2 groups getting shown, then a five minute synopsis of tiger and what sort of wince we got there. If there is so much need for Tiger, Why doesn't Nike do a deal with the networks and create a pay per view Tiger channel that just follows him during his round?
You say that showing Tiger all the time brings in the $$$. Do advertisers pay by air time he gets rather than a flat fee per advert while he is on course?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G10 9* Prolaunch Red Stiff
Titleist 913 17* S Plus 82 Stiff
Titleist 913 21* S Plus 70 Stiff
Mizuno MP63 4-Pw SG S300 Stiff
52 & 56 MD Players Cobalt Wedge Flex
58 Ping Tour S
Rife Bimini[/font][/size]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bunter101' timestamp='1377646770' post='7755965']
I didn't catch Sundays golf, but the days i did catch were probably the worst feeds i have seen. The coverage was absolutely abysmal. 1 maybe 2 groups getting shown, then a five minute synopsis of tiger and what sort of wince we got there. If there is so much need for Tiger, Why doesn't Nike do a deal with the networks and create a pay per view Tiger channel that just follows him during his round?
You say that showing Tiger all the time brings in the $$$. Do advertisers pay by air time he gets rather than a flat fee per advert while he is on course?
[/quote]

It's easier to just keep showing him since advertisers pay for views on their ads and TW brings views.

And maybe set up a PPV for a channel for people who do not want to see him ; )

I think the stupidest thing ever uttered in the history of golf commentary was "Tiger IS the needle."
It completely misunderstands the nature of the needle and people who have no understanding of the phrase "moving the needle" have co-opted it ad nauseum.

If you're looking at a speedometer. The needle is impotent. The gas pedal is the what provides increases speed. The engine produces the power. The wheels turn. The needle produces nothing. Is THAT what you think of Tiger?

On a mixing board, the needle doesn't crank the volume. It doesn't turn up mic level or amp level. It just moves based on the rocking power of everything else. How is that a compliment to Tiger.

So, if Tiger is the needle, he doesn't nothing. He's a reactive line that observes the excitement all around the field.
If you love Tiger END THAT STUPID PHRASE! You'd be better off typing mashed potatoes. Because at least then you'd be implying that Tiger is the Force that mashes that potato.

Having said that, being so Tiger centric is a little dangerous. (See the Lull after Jordan retired). But, the next big story is Phil. And he's older too.
It's hard to build the next big thing though, when the next big thing collapses all the time. (I'm Looking at You Rory!)

Never fear though. Jordan Speith is coming and he's going to bury that needle in the red.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='xabia' timestamp='1377572434' post='7750839']
I don't understand why some of you guys still can't get this. Tiger IS the needle [size=4]for golf on TV[/size]
[size=4]155% increase in ratings even though the tournament was decided on Friday with his 61 at the Bridgestone. It really shouldn't be this hard for some of you to come to grips with. [/size]

[url="http://t.golfweek.com/news/2013/aug/05/tiger-woods-wgc-bridgestone-tv-ratings/"]http://t.golfweek.co...one-tv-ratings/[/url]
[/quote]
Gee thanks for clearing that up.

That's the whole point of this thread.

???

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Honestly I don't care if they show his shots. It's every other damned thing he does that they harp on.

"Just look at Tiger walk off the tee box. Isn't that amazing?"
"Look at Tiger eat his sandwich. He has a hunger that we are not familiar with"
"Hey check out Tiger looking for his ball. He hits the best offline shots I've ever seen!!!"

The absolute WORST was last year with the TigeRory BFF love fest. <barf>

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I agree completely about the tigercentric coverage. I like Tiger but I am a golf fan first. Sometimes I see a leader board and am shocked to learn about players close to the lead that have received zero coverage. It drives me crazy.

Then Monday morning I watch Golf Channel and the first eight minutes is about tiger finishing second. Then after commercial they do 4 minutes on Adam Scott.

[b] Is the PGA Tour/Media focus on Tiger hurting the Tour?[/b]

the answer...absoultely not! ever heard the story about the famous bank robber willie sutton? when asked why he robbed banks, he answered, 'cause that's where the money is!'

why is the PGA tour and Media focused on Tiger? because that's where the money is! a bunch of pigs at the trough. put on your snout and start oinkin!

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1377573343' post='7750923']
Media functions strictly on what will deliver eyeballs to ad dollars.

Nothing else.

You see TW.

It because that is what the most people, who buy the stuff from those who put up the money to let you see golf, want to see.

Keeping in mind, if TW consistently starts to stink, you will see him less.

I imagine it was the same for Arnie or Jack. They kept showng them even as they started to fall of and then they pulled the coverage away more and more.
[/quote]

[quote name='coachieboy' timestamp='1377651325' post='7756363']
[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1377573343' post='7750923']
Media functions strictly on what will deliver eyeballs to ad dollars.

Nothing else.

You see TW.

It because that is what the most people, who buy the stuff from those who put up the money to let you see golf, want to see.

Keeping in mind, if TW consistently starts to stink, you will see him less.

I imagine it was the same for Arnie or Jack. They kept showng them even as they started to fall of and then they pulled the coverage away more and more.
[/quote]
[/quote]

The LPGA covered Michelle Wie forever while she struggled. "Michelle Wie putting for birdie." "A birdie here and she will be within eight shots of the leader."

Go to a PGA event - Tiger's galleries are absolutely outrageous. There's a reason they show him on TV all the time.

PGA Championship practice round - gallery is absolutely huge for Tiger. Bigger than probably 90% of the groups during the tournament days. His group goes through. Tom Watson is playing alone a group or two later, and nobody knows who he is.

That describes a ton of golf "fans" these days.

[quote name='Titleist 670' timestamp='1377654620' post='7756687']

That describes a ton of golf "fans" these days.
[/quote]these are the days of high fructose corn syrup. A ton of fans is only, like, 7 people.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[quote name='denise' timestamp='1377582537' post='7751419']
[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1377580767' post='7751353']
Pre Tiger the tour and golf media were trying to generate interest by promoting just about anybody who won something. Even now you can see the remnants of that policy in the leftovers of print media and the net media. Back then there was comparatively very little interest that could be generated in golf except among golfers. Sort of preaching to the choir.

Tiger's arrival brought such interest that even non golfers came and watched. That continues today regardless that he is no longer delivering the miraculous wins that used to come with such frequency we came to expect it.

You really have to understand that every salesman who is worth anything will want to sell a product that sells itself rather than one that needs a lot of effort to sell.

Shambles
[/quote]

don't contradict yourself. that's the worst.
[/quote]

Kindly clarify.

Shambles

Another "gosh how idiotic casual golf fans are, not like us purists!!!!" threads.

Sports is entertainment. Every sport. The media that covers sports covers entertainment, not the "purity" of the "sport" (or they wouldn't make enough money to cover sports at all).

I mean, does anyone understand what media is?

Curiously ... Tiger is second in most pro tour wins ever (and will almost definitely climb to number one next year). Second in, like, history, of most majors won. What he has already done has already gone so far past what ANYONE hitting a golf ball right now has done as to be nearly ridiculous.

Is it really a surprise that the media covers him so thoroughly? Can you actually say doing so is [i]bad[/i] for golf?

Gotta say, casual golf fans often seem to grasp the sport far better than "fanatics" do.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1377657342' post='7756953']Gotta say, casual golf fans often seem to grasp the sport far better than "fanatics" do.
[/quote]
No, they don't grasp [i]the sport[/i] at all.

Just one player.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='bobfoster' timestamp='1377657342' post='7756953']

Curiously ... Tiger is second in most pro tour wins ever (and will almost definitely climb to number one next year). Second in, like, history, of most majors won. What he has already done has already gone so far past what ANYONE hitting a golf ball right now has done as to be nearly ridiculous.

[b]Is it really a surprise that the media covers him so thoroughly? Can you actually say doing so is [i]bad[/i] for golf?[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah I can say it's bad for golf and that was the point of the thread. I get it, if he's doing well in a tournament, then they should follow him. But when they follow him in lieu of golfers doing much better than him, as they did in the PGA championship, then I believe long term that is bad for the tour. What happens if Tiger suddenly isn't playing golf ever again? What's been done to promote the names of other great golfers in order to continue the interest in watching golf if Tiger isn't playing. Not much, and that's what I believe is harmful.

Companies have hurt themselves by focusing on the cash cow product, and have failed because they couldn't adapt to the market. I could see golf making the same mistake.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1377658264' post='7757035']

[b]Is it really a surprise that the media covers him so thoroughly? Can you actually say doing so is [i]bad[/i] for golf?[/b]
[/quote]

Yeah I can say it's bad for golf and that was the point of the thread. I get it, if he's doing well in a tournament, then they should follow him. But when they follow him in lieu of golfers doing much better than him, as they did in the PGA championship, then I believe long term that is bad for the tour. What happens if Tiger suddenly isn't playing golf ever again? What's been done to promote the names of other great golfers in order to continue the interest in watching golf if Tiger isn't playing. Not much, and that's what I believe is harmful.

Companies have hurt themselves by focusing on the cash cow product, and have failed because they couldn't adapt to the market. I could see golf making the same mistake.
[/quote]

It's a good point, but here, in my opinioin, is where the "tour(s)" and the media are disconnected.

It surely is in the best interests of the tour to promote its entire product as much as possible. The Media however, is going to squeeze every last dollar it can out of wherever it can. It's good for the media, but is it good for the sport. That's the question, and I say no it isn't. And history supports that.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1377658615' post='7757061']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's a good point, but here, in my opinioin, is where the "tour(s)" and the media are disconnected.

It surely is in the best interests of the tour to promote its entire product as much as possible. The Media however, is going to squeeze every last dollar it can out of wherever it can. It's good for the media, but is it good for the sport. That's the question, and I say no it isn't. And history supports that.
[/quote]

True the media and tour are separate entities, and what's good for one entity isn't necessarily good for the other. However perhaps the tour is being too accommodating by allowing Tiger to be the marquee group and allowing a 20 minute gap in his tee time, when the rest of the field is at 10 min, as they were in the PGA Championship.

Was there even such a thing as the "marquee group" before Tiger came along?

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1377658943' post='7757085']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

True the media and tour are separate entities, and what's good for one entity isn't necessarily good for the other. However perhaps the tour is being too accommodating by allowing Tiger to be the marquee group and allowing a 20 minute gap in his tee time, when the rest of the field is at 10 min, as they were in the PGA Championship.

[/quote]

The Tour has absolutely [b]zero[/b] say in how the major championships are run, including the PGA Championship. The Tour and the PGA of America are two separate entities.

As for your question about marquee groups, was there ANY Internet coverage before Tiger came along? Not just no, but hell no. In the mid-90's you were lucky to get any coverage on TV, never mind on the Internet. And only during the 2000's did Augusta finally agree to show all 18 holes of The Masters on Sunday.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Marquee Group?

how about "Big Three Golf" TV show as produced by Mark McCormack featuring Mr. Palmer, Mr. Player and Mr. Nicklaus....all of whom were clients of Mr. McCormack....

[/quote]

[/quote]

What happens if Tiger suddenly isnt playing golf again? I think golf will be fine because Tiger played a big part in creating a new generation of golfers to come. We just don't know who he is. Could be some 5 year-old kid out there on the range right now. Every league in sports will go through transitions from generation to generation. And right now it is Tiger's generation. Same thing happened in the NBA when MJ retired, and the ratings in the early 2000's were low. Fans were looking for the next MJ, and now there is Lebron James. We won't get another "Tiger Woods", but I'm sure somewhere down the line someone will take the torch. In my opinion, that's what Tiger's legacy will be; just like how Tiger grew up watching Jack, someone will say they grew up watching Tiger. Jack:Tiger, Mike:Kobe, Sampras:Federer.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

[quote name='jihunyu' timestamp='1377663043' post='7757359']

[/quote]

[/quote]

What happens if Tiger suddenly isnt playing golf again? I think golf will be fine because Tiger played a big part in creating a new generation of golfers to come. We just don't know who he is. Could be some 5 year-old kid out there on the range right now. Every league in sports will go through transitions from generation to generation. And right now it is Tiger's generation. Same thing happened in the NBA when MJ retired, and the ratings in the early 2000's were low. Fans were looking for the next MJ, and now there is Lebron James. We won't get another "Tiger Woods", but I'm sure somewhere down the line someone will take the torch.
[/quote]

The media can only promote someone so much. The best promotion for a player in any sport is that he wins. The problem is Tiger is still so dominant so people still want to watch him. This is the case in most sports where the big name draws the attention even if they aren't playing that well (see Kobe Bryant). .

A sport with a similar situation is tennis and Rodger Federer. He is not as dominant as he used to be but he is always shown when ever he is playing. The difference though is that tennis has 3 other stars, Nadal, Djokovich, and Murry, who are all huge stars. In golf there is really no one besides tiger. What the golf needs is for Rory to start winning again and another one or two players to join him at the top. Someone winning events will solve the issue, not media hype.

[quote name='redfirebird08' timestamp='1377659217' post='7757111']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Tour has absolutely [b]zero[/b] say in how the major championships are run, including the PGA Championship. The Tour and the PGA of America are two separate entities.

As for your question about marquee groups, was there ANY Internet coverage before Tiger came along? Not just no, but hell no. In the mid-90's you were lucky to get any coverage on TV, never mind on the Internet. And only during the 2000's did Augusta finally agree to show all 18 holes of The Masters on Sunday.
[/quote]

There was one tournament wherein Chi Chi Rodriguex commented that there were more people watching Arnie park his car than were watching the tournament. :) After Arnie, Jack was the main attraction regardless that he was no longer winning. Affction had developed between the public and Jack. These days, it's Tiger. I do admit that I'm more inclined to watch the tournaments Tiger plays in than the ones he does not. Call me a fan boy. To date I still find it amazing that any player can work so hard and focus so much for the win as Tiger does. It's one of the reasons I still look to him to find a win regardless that he is six strokes behind on the last day, though I do hope that the weather turns ugly so that his birdies won't be watered down by the others also making birdies. :)

Shambles

[quote name='jihunyu' timestamp='1377663043' post='7757359']What happens if Tiger suddenly isnt playing golf again? I think golf will be fine because Tiger played a big part in creating a new generation of golfers to come. We just don't know who he is. Could be some 5 year-old kid out there on the range right now. Every league in sports will go through transitions from generation to generation. And right now it is Tiger's generation. Same thing happened in the NBA when MJ retired, and the ratings in the early 2000's were low. [b]Fans were looking for the next MJ, and now there is Lebron James.[/b] We won't get another "Tiger Woods", but I'm sure somewhere down the line someone will take the torch. In my opinion, that's what Tiger's legacy will be; just like how Tiger grew up watching Jack, someone will say they grew up watching Tiger. Jack:Tiger, Mike:Kobe, Sampras:Federer.
[/quote]

Fans weren't looking for the next MJ. The media outlets were [i]desperate to crown[/i] the next MJ to fill the void they themselves had created. So, in the end [i]the sport[/i] suffered for years due to the relentless myopic pumping of a single player by the media.

And now, it's MJ all over again and nobody has learned anything from the past. (ESPN I'm looking at you)

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Think the coverage is unilateral now, wait til next year as Tiger inches closer to Sneads record and eventually breaks it. Must see for sure.

IMHO, problem with golf today is everyone is paid extraordinary salaries with sponsors, appearance fees, clothing lines, etc. I think some of the hunger to win is gone. Tiger still has that hunger and it's what makes him interesting. Sure he isn't the most personable player signing autographs or giving "high 5's" walking past fans. But in fairness, he is there to win and has a job to do. He's the alpha dog on the block. Fans get that and like being around "the man".

Some say he cherry picks tournaments that increases his odds. Sure he does. It takes so much mental strength to go out there and expect nothing less than winning. That mentality cannot exist every week at every tour stop. It would be us playing a scramble every weekend, seeing friends, having fun and then entering 4-5 individual stroke play tournaments sprinkled throughout the year. We wouldn't be prepared mentally or physically to win.

I'd really hoped Rory would continue his hunger and challenge Tiger week in and week out. But, media spotlight and sponsorship stardom has faded his light somewhat. Hopefully it comes back or someone else steps up that is hungry. Golf had that in the past with Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Watson, etc...

So, enjoy the unilateral coverage while it exists and the records that will be broken. As Tiger fades, we will be left with well dressed, robotic swings, and a tour of content "one/two time major winners". Not that that's bad, just not Tiger. My opinion only.

F9 Driver, Atoms TS Blue 6S
F9 3-wood, Atmos TS Blue 7S
Hogan VKTR 20*, UST Recoil 85F4
Hogan Edge Irons, KBS Tour-V
Hogan Equalizer 50*,54*,58* Wedges, KBS Tour-V
Odyssey Toulon San Diego Putter
Callaway Chrome Soft Plus

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1377567944' post='7750363'] I think in the short term, myopic coverages are a cash grab to maximize earning potential for the association or league. In the long term, it inevitably it sets up a lull in interest and just a general void. See: The NBA post MJ [/quote]

As much as they wish to avoid this "lull" it is an inevitability. Why? Because even when Jack was winning his18 majors, he did not attract any interest from non-golf fans. When TW "exits stage left", golf will revert to a niche sport that it is. The TV ratings will reflect that, and when the cable channels renogiate the telecast rights, the numbers will be telling.

The only possibility of avoiding this scenario is if a Rory or Speith can get to 10-12 majors and fill the void that TW will leave. Non-golfers aren't going to tune in to watch Phil / Els / Rory / Speith get majors #6 or #7. It is what it is.

The fascination with Tiger is driven by the fans, not driven by the media. One only has to look at the tv ratings of golf tournaments when Tiger is either not playing or not in contention. If you take Tiger out of the mix there really aren't many golfers who spark major fan interest and who win or are in contention on Sunday on a regular basis let alone over a span of years.

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
SeeMore FPG Putter

[quote name='SurfDuffer' timestamp='1377690532' post='7757999']
The fascination with Tiger is driven by the fans, not driven by the media. One only has to look at the tv ratings of golf tournaments when Tiger is either not playing or not in contention. If you take Tiger out of the mix there really aren't many golfers who spark major fan interest and who win or are in contention on Sunday on a regular basis let alone over a span of years.
[/quote]

It's driven by fans today because Tiger was foisted upon us by the media from the get go. Sometimes this works as the athlete they push is the real deal talent wise and can justify the hype. Other times you get Michelle Wie. Most of the Tiger fans who are just casual observers of golf and don't really understand the game rely heavily on the sports media to form their opinion for them. People give themselves too much credit in believing that the media is catering to them and their interests. The media is largely agenda driven and shapes the opinions of most.

Phil and Els are actually older than Tiger, I think. I doubt they have all that many years to go unless they know some secret to longevity. Sergio proved to be a cry baby with tantrums despite his early promise. Rory melts and I know nothing about Speith because I've been looking at Jason Day who looked to be promising for a while but might still fight his way back.

The one thing I've seen all three Dominants had in common was that they were all fighters even when the chips were down. Actually especially when the chips were down. I think these guys can do just about any shot needed to win but, just like the rest of us, the winners are the ones who never stop thinking and never stop trying. Obviously the majority public sees something of the sort because they always reward the man who fights hard with their attention.

Regardless that Tiger has not been Tiger for, in my opinion, near on 10 years, he continues to be a top contender and will very likely be around for a long time bar any serious injuries. In the meantime, the new Dominant is somewhere out there developing and will show himself when he is ready to make his move. He might already have started as Tiger needed a few years of trying before he got into his winning ways at the pro level. For now, the new Dominant might be the only one who knows who he is, but when he's ready, we will know him because we will recognize the fighting spirit.

Shambles

[quote name='Vindog' timestamp='1377650596' post='7756301']
Honestly I don't care if they show his shots. It's every other damned thing he does that they harp on.

"Just look at Tiger walk off the tee box. Isn't that amazing?"
"Look at Tiger eat his sandwich. He has a hunger that we are not familiar with"
"Hey check out Tiger looking for his ball. He hits the best offline shots I've ever seen!!!"

The absolute WORST was last year with the TigeRory BFF love fest. <barf>
[/quote]
+1