BBQ Fans

sTmGolfer

25 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I havent gone near my sous vide with the pellet smoker, just havent seen the need. I will say - might sound strange - but one of the coolest things I did in the sous vide was scrambled eggs.

Here's some of the stuff I've done this year in the smoker. Ribs, short ribs, pork butts and a prime rib. We also did our turkey in it for thanksgiving this year - it was incredible.

Turkey in the smoker is a game changer IMO. I can't go back to the traditional way.

• Like 2

Lots of good looking meat on display!

Makes me miss my old oil drum smoker and all of the great BBQ joints in Alabama/Georgia. There's a lot of things I miss about living in the south, but BBQ has to be one of the biggest. One of these days I'll have enough space to start smoking again. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

9 hours ago, VNutz said:

Turkey in the smoker is a game changer IMO. I can't go back to the traditional way.

I sous vide the Turkey breasts, and legs for that matter, and then throw them on my kamado with some smoke.  Never had better turkey in your life.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

12 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I havent gone near my sous vide with the pellet smoker, just havent seen the need. I will say - might sound strange - but one of the coolest things I did in the sous vide was scrambled eggs.

Yeah, I’ve done some sous vide to grill to try to achieve bbq goodness... the pellet grill works better for that, and I assume will be even better when I spend the money on a good one that manages temperatures better.

my thought on pork shoulder is it stops taking on smoke at 160, so pull it, then use sous vide to break down the meat without the possibility of over cooking... then finish in the oven for the perfect crust!

could also probably do a long sous vide and then finish for a few hours on the smoker to get the ring... it’s not something I’ve experimented with, but I’m thinking about it.

Sous vide is fun and you can do some weird stuff with it... ginger carrots are amazing.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

14 hours ago, Hstead said:

I sous vide the Turkey breasts, and legs for that matter, and then throw them on my kamado with some smoke.  Never had better turkey in your life.

Oh, you fancy. 🙂 That does sound delicious.

Sous Vide is probably the next frontier for myself in bbq, just can't bring myself to do it quite yet. One more thing to learn, and still very happy with just smoking items for now, but someday...

11 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

my thought on pork shoulder is it stops taking on smoke at 160, so pull it, then use sous vide to break down the meat without the possibility of over cooking... then finish in the oven for the perfect crust!

Too many steps for me personally. I wrap at 165 in a disposable foil pan, covered in foil, with @ a half inch of liquid poured in to act as steam bath. Then it goes back in the smoker until it hits 200-205. Pull it out, rests for 30-45 min. 

My next recipe to try is putting in a hard cider, read a lot about the flavor it puts back into the meat.

• Like 2

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

4 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Too many steps for me personally. I wrap at 165 in a disposable foil pan, covered in foil, with @ a half inch of liquid poured in to act as steam bath. Then it goes back in the smoker until it hits 200-205. Pull it out, rests for 30-45 min. 

My next recipe to try is putting in a hard cider, read a lot about the flavor it puts back into the meat.

I used apple cider vinegar on the shoulder I shared pictures of... actually basically put all the ingredients for a bbq sauce at the bottom Of the pan and then boiled it down more during the rest... turned out really well. 

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

18 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Sous Vide is probably the next frontier for myself in bbq, just can't bring myself to do it quite yet. One more thing to learn, and still very happy with just smoking items for now, but someday...

It couldn't be easier.  Get a sous vide on Amazon, $79, then the container, $20.  You literally press two buttons to select your temp, seal the food in a zip lock bag, and bingo it's done in an hour or three.  Then throw it on the grill for a couple of minutes.  Comes out perfectly cooked every time.  You can't mess it up.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

20 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Come on V...if Adam and I can become proficient with the SV, how smart do you really need to be?

• Like 2

I have a sous vide and a Smoker.  LOVE both for different reasons.  For large cuts like Pork Butt, Tenderloin ect.. the smoker is amazing.  I have a Traeger Timberline which also has wifi capabilities which is a game changer especially when i have company over.  No more running back and forth to the grill to check temps or flipping burgers.  The Sous Vide is the best method i've found to cook things like steaks.  Get them to temp then finish with some cowboy butter in a skillet.  Amazing.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

15 hours ago, TIScape said:

Did baby backs today 

014838E2-B34C-4596-8C67-16A3068DA01A.jpeg

YUM

• Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

20 hours ago, TIScape said:

They were amazing as usual. 235° unwrapped in smoke for 3hrs, wrapped in foil with brown sugar, butter and half ACV and BBQ sauce, and then unwrapped no smoke for an hour. 5hr total and rest from 20-30min

Similar to what i do except I cook a little lower temp on super smoke up front.  Also sometimes use honey with butter which gives ribs a unique sweetness.  I love trying different rubs and combo's, never know when you'll find something amazing.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

1 hour ago, J13 said:

Similar to what i do except I cook a little lower temp on super smoke up front.  Also sometimes use honey with butter which gives ribs a unique sweetness.  I love trying different rubs and combo's, never know when you'll find something amazing.

I do supersmoke as well for the first few hours at 225.

I agree though, I love trying new rubs and new times/temps for everything. Even when I find something that works I feel like I'm always watching a new YouTube clip on something else I want to try.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

19 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I do supersmoke as well for the first few hours at 225.

I agree though, I love trying new rubs and new times/temps for everything. Even when I find something that works I feel like I'm always watching a new YouTube clip on something else I want to try.

Oh yeah haha it's a deep rabbit hole.  I've been craving some pork so planning a pork butt the next decent day we get. Pulled pork sandwiches for days!

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

4 hours ago, J13 said:

Spot on. I’ve also cooked em at 225°, added honey to the wrap.  Little more of this, leave that out etc. Get the feedback from the fam. My current wrap concoction I used here is a mash-up of the standard brown sugar, butter and honey that’s so popular. Added the half bbq sauce half ACV from Aaron Franklin’s method and left out that honey. So far it’s the leader in the clubhouse.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TIScape said:

Spot on. I’ve also cooked em at 225°, added honey to the wrap.  Little more of this, leave that out etc. Get the feedback from the fam. My current wrap concoction I used here is a mash-up of the standard brown sugar, butter and honey that’s so popular. Added the half bbq sauce half ACV from Aaron Franklin’s method and left out that honey. So far it’s the leader in the clubhouse.

I'm with ya. I go back and forth between how i make them.  I always get idea's from BBQ Pitmasters as well. 

Edel PROTO

Cooked a couple racks today with a new wrap. Put down tons of brown sugar and a couple ribbons of bourbon, maple syrup and honey. Tiny bit of butter but definitely less than I usually use. Meat side down. Dusting of brown sugar on the back. No other liquid in the wrap. Lord they were good. The best part was the liquid that came off the ribs themselves made an incredible dipping sauce.

One of the amazing things about the double walled insulation of the Traeger is how hot it stayed in the cold bleeping weather we had today - low 20s temp and winds up to 30mph. Cooked them at 225* and they were at 170* internal in 2.5 hours. Only increased to 250* this time and it took another 1.5 to get to 205* internal. Rested them for a half hour in a pan after pouring a little of the drippings over them.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cooking three racks of baby backs tomorrow with scalloped potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts with garlic, bacon, and a little brown sugar, green beans, homemade corn bread, and a salad.  My wife makes the greatest homemade ranch and red salad dressings on the planet.  Can't wait.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

13 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Cooked a couple racks today with a new wrap. Put down tons of brown sugar and a couple ribbons of bourbon, maple syrup and honey. Tiny bit of butter but definitely less than I usually use. Meat side down. Dusting of brown sugar on the back. No other liquid in the wrap. Lord they were good. The best part was the liquid that came off the ribs themselves made an incredible dipping sauce.

One of the amazing things about the double walled insulation of the Traeger is how hot it stayed in the cold bleeping weather we had today - low 20s temp and winds up to 30mph. Cooked them at 225* and they were at 170* internal in 2.5 hours. Only increased to 250* this time and it took another 1.5 to get to 205* internal. Rested them for a half hour in a pan after pouring a little of the drippings over them.

Yeah the Traeger really shines in the cold temps.  Ive ever thought about getting the heat blanket they sell but probably overkill.  In the summer time most smokers are good to go but in the cold if it's not double walled you are in trouble.

Im headed to Myrtle in May and was thinking about smoking a pork butt (so it finishes right when i leave) then wrapping in towels and stick it in a cooler for the ride down.  About a 8 hr ride, anyone see any issues with that ?  Or better to cook earlier and transport with ice in a cooler?

Edited by J13

Edel PROTO

23 hours ago, J13 said:

Yeah the Traeger really shines in the cold temps.  Ive ever thought about getting the heat blanket they sell but probably overkill.  In the summer time most smokers are good to go but in the cold if it's not double walled you are in trouble.

Im headed to Myrtle in May and was thinking about smoking a pork butt (so it finishes right when i leave) then wrapping in towels and stick it in a cooler for the ride down.  About a 8 hr ride, anyone see any issues with that ?  Or better to cook earlier and transport with ice in a cooler?

If you keep in in the foil, put it in a cooler and surround it with towels, you should be able to make it down there without issue.  But I think the question you need to ask yourself is what are you going to do with it after you get there.  Where are you going to store it after you've eaten a little bit of it??  Are you eating this by yourself or is it for a group?  I don't imagine you are going to shred and eat the whole thing in one sitting unless you have 5 or 6 other guys with you.  If you're going solo, might be easier to shred a few individual sized servings and bring them down.  Easy to reheat, easy to eat.  Good luck.

Good question as to what you are going to do with it once you get there? If you're just going to have pulled pork, I would shred it immediately after the cook and bring it down that way.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

23 minutes ago, PappyVanWinkle53 said:

If you keep in in the foil, put it in a cooler and surround it with towels, you should be able to make it down there without issue.  But I think the question you need to ask yourself is what are you going to do with it after you get there.  Where are you going to store it after you've eaten a little bit of it??  Are you eating this by yourself or is it for a group?  I don't imagine you are going to shred and eat the whole thing in one sitting unless you have 5 or 6 other guys with you.  If you're going solo, might be easier to shred a few individual sized servings and bring them down.  Easy to reheat, easy to eat.  Good luck.

Heading down with 3 other guys and rented a house with a full kitchen.  My plan is to wrap it in towels and drop in a cooler to keep temp and rest.  Then once I'm down there, shred it and eat some for lunch then keep it in the fridge for sandwiches for the week.

Edited by J13
  • Like 2

Edel PROTO

17 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Good question as to what you are going to do with it once you get there? If you're just going to have pulled pork, I would shred it immediately after the cook and bring it down that way.

In my limited experience, letting it rest for 30+ minutes in a cooler makes it far easier to shred... great use for a yeti cooler if you have one.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58