Most embarrassing shot you ever hit?

boxerjoe2011

Ron darling golf outing this year at bethpage. As the round ended I was informed that I was one of the two closest to the pin so I had to go back out to the course for a chance to win a million dollars. Head out to 18, they set u 180 yards from the green an u had one shot to hole out for a mill. Everyones surrounding the 18th green, the camera crew comes out, first guy hits a shot heading right for the pin ended up being 20 yards short an lands in the bunker, I get up, swing, perfect follow threw, look up to relize that the divot flew 30 yards farther then the ball did, the biggest chunk of my life,

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1378886054' post='7830855']
I was on the first tee box a few years ago, and the course was backed up. There were probably about 10 people watching me while waiting to tee off. I line up my drive, and literally hit the ball 90* to the right of the tee box about two fairways over. I can hear people laughing, so I chuckle and tee up another ball to save any respect that I have left. Line it up, and I hit the EXACT same shot, except this time it hits a tree, comes flying back across the tee box, and smashes into the side of a house.

The starter says "maybe you should just drop a ball up there with your friends."

I just got in my cart and drove off.
[/quote]

Omg my sides!

I teed it up with my mens club. Three sets of tees, red, white and blue. We played the back. First tee, I hit my driver. The ball doesn't get more than two inches off the ground. How do I know this? Because it hit the wooden tee marker for the whites and shattered it. The ball went up in the air sideways ... Over the second green ... Over the 3rd tee box and settled between the 3rd and 9th. Had an open shot towards the green ... Nailed it. 3rd shot on, and made the putt for an all-world par

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I some how hit a driver and the ball went between my legs and smashed into the golf cart of the nice guys letting us play through directly behind me. Actually hit one of there beer bottles out of their hands .... So embarrassed but they were cool luckily they were wearing jeans and t shirts while drinking bud heavy bottles ....

[quote name='Willie Malay' timestamp='1378907721' post='7831697']
Club Championship. First tee. I'm (supposed to be) one of the better players. First shot....faded into the trees on the right with everyone watching. Embarrassing. Next shot, a 4 iron punch under the branches, rolls on the green to about 2 feet. Birdie. Don't give up, don't ever give up :)
[/quote]

I think you have massively misunderstood what this thread is about. A fade? Not even a slice, but a fade. Your most embarrassing shot ever is a fade into some trees... followed by an awesome recovery shot and a birdie? You've lived a charmed golfing life sir. A charmed golfing life.

Anyhoo, to the thread:
First tee at Spyglass, clip something on teebox on my backswing and think to myself, hmm maybe I should stop my swing, while I proceed to continue my swing and hit a dead pull worm burner into the trees - Most embarrassing shot.
My ball is in a decent spot and figure OK, punch it out to the fairway, hit next shot down to the bottom and then on in 4.
Chunk - New most embarrassing shot!
Decent mid iron.
Poor mid iron into bunker.
Skulled from bunker to way over the back of the green - New most embarrassing shot!
Weak cheap dribbles onto green.
Gassed putt way by - thought about it, but no the skulled bunker shot holds its title.
Mediocre lag.
Get in with a three putt for a 9.

The guy joining us must have wondered who this hack was wasting all this money.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I think anytime I've ever full-on shanked the ball is the most embarrassing shot I've ever hit. The shanks come out of nowhere, and even if I'm hitting them great the rest of the round, that one shank makes me feel as if everyone is staring at me thinking "what is it, your first day of playing golf?".

Not only are they embarrassing, but I think the shanks might be the worst feeling in golf ever.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I've battled the laterals all season and its freakin mentally debilitating. Thankfully our 1st asst. Pro is a great guy and is helping me out of the pit

Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

Mine happened just a few days ago. I was playing the tips at my club with one of the employees. Was even thru 5 which is pretty typical for me. Anyways, we get to 6, a 227 yard par 3. I hit a 4 iron and hit a ground ball and smack a small can that has sand in it on the white tees. I re-tee. Same result, re-tee, same result. I just gave up on the hole and walked to the 7th tee box. LOL.

Titleist 915 9.5 with Blueboard 73x
Titleist 915F 13 with Blueboard 83x
Titleist 712MB 4-9
Vokey SM4 46,52, 60
Vokey SM5 56
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 33"

I feel like anytime I duff a tee shot is the most embarrassing shot of my life, but probably the worst of them all was back when I first started golfing (bout 4+ yrs ago).
I was at a trade show golf tournament in MO. Played with a co-worker and two other guys from the trade show, I couldn't hit a drive to save my life. Couldn't make it past even the ladies tees all day, finally one of the guys said if you can't make it past the ladies tees this time you gotta drop your pants on the next hole.
Sure enough I failed miserably and had to tee off pants down on the next hole which was on an elevated par 3 tee box. My co-worker took a nice picture of it and reminds me to this day of it.
From that day forward I vowed to get better at golf and I believe that is the driving force for me to get better everyday.

Titleist TSi2 9* - Ventus Red TR

Callaway Rogue ST Max 18*

TM SIM2 Max 22*

Titleist T200 4-GW

Vokey SM9 54*/58*

Odyssey Stroke Lab DW

Texas National Golf Course, par 3, 140 yards, water in front with two bunkers on each the side of the green. Lined up, took the shot and hooked it. I thought it went straight and said to my buddy, "am i good?" He responded, "Did you hear those three loud bangs?" I said, "Yeah", He responded, "that was your ball hitting off the roof of the brown house." I wanted to skip the hole entirely, but he made me finish it out lol.

Oh, lord.....
I watched that Martin Ayers video (the most powerful move in golf).
I practiced the swing in my house without a ball, and man did it feel great.

I go to the course the next day, ready to unleash hell on the golf course.
Yeah, right.

I shanked the first drive into a pond. New ball. Shank.
Lateral hazard drop. Shank. Now I am panic-reverting to my old swing.
Duff. Next shot is the biggest divot known to man that stops an inch before the ball.

I was literally unable to hit a golf ball correctly for two weeks afterwards.

Honorable mention:

Early in my playing, I had real trouble aiming a putt correctly.
I read a HUGE break on a heavily banked green.
Fair enough. I putted the ball over the break, off the green, and into a bunker.
My playing partners were flabbergasted.

The last round I played, 2 weeks ago, was my second round of the day. My first round is always for score, and my second round is always for fun. We started drinking beer and shots between rounds with lunch, and continued on the course. Got to 18 tee, and had a pretty hearty buzz going. I teed up the ball, picked my line, addressed, and took a mighty lash. I managed to hit the ground, with my driver, about 10 inches before the ball, and bounce completely over it, leaving it untouched still on the tee.

I held my finish like a champ while everyone in the group laughed.

I did stripe the ball down the fairway after that though. Ended up parring the hole even

The last round I played, 2 weeks ago, was my second round of the day. My first round is always for score, and my second round is always for fun. We started drinking beer and shots between rounds with lunch, and continued on the course. Got to 18 tee, and had a pretty hearty buzz going. I teed up the ball, picked my line, addressed, and took a mighty lash. I managed to hit the ground, with my driver, about 10 inches before the ball, and bounce completely over it, leaving it untouched still on the tee.

I held my finish like a champ while everyone in the group laughed.

I did stripe the ball down the fairway after that though. Ended up parring the hole even with the whiff.

I was playing just ahead of a middle school meet (match?). On the fourth hole, I sliced my tee shot right onto the center of the fairway they were playing on. They, on the other hand, were hitting their shots straight. Nothing quite like getting shown up by 12 year olds.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

US AM qualifier this year on the first hole with about 15 people watching people tee off, I stepped up to the first tee, did my normal preshot routine. Then proceeded to top one about 75 yards with my driver...then top my next shot about 40 yards...ended up making a triple bogey on the first hole of 36...but its okay cause I made 4 straight birdies after that. Too bad no one was there to see those!

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

Just this friday, I was playing a match and level after four holes. On the fifth my teeshot went into a fairway bunker, bad bad lie, but got it out to about 15 meters behind a big tree, maybe 100m further, in the middle of the fairway.
Needed to stay about half a meter just under 2 feet) right of the tree. Hit a superb 3iron, just hadn't lined up properly and hit the damn tree. Had to walk back about 80 meters, I guess about 90 yards..

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

Last year in our "Caddy Cup" the owner of our course (Mike Keiser, owner of Bandon dunes as well) is watching along with about 10 other people.

It takes me a few tries to get my ball on the tee.. Not a good start. I dead snap hook it. It kicks out to the edge of the fairway. They can still see me as I pull three wood to go for it and do it again. It was terrible. I turned to my caddy and said I would make par and hit a 30 yard sand shot to 6 feet and my putt didn't matter, but I made it anyways.

I had a pretty severe downhill lie in a greenside bunker. Pulling out my 64 deg wedge, I actually said to my group, "This is why you carry one of these."

I then set up facing the fairway and the group "ooohed" in unison when they realized I was going to play a Mickelson-style "back over the shoulder" bunker shot. With a steel look and numerous glances behind me to check the hole's position, I opened the face up, took a deep breath, made a upright backswing, swung hard and made a huge blast, turning myself quickly around to see where the ball would land.

Needless to say, the ball had no backward movement at all and sailed nicely forward, 40 yards back down the fairway, behind me (given that I had turned around in anticipation of the ball going over my head). 2 out 3 playing partners keeled over laughing and the last one was nice enough to tell me to turn around and point out where my ball had gone.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1379368252' post='7861831']
I'm pretty sure phil put that trick shot segment into his video for the sole purpose of laughing at folks actually trying it out on the course.
[/quote]

Lol yup, you're probably right. Just wish I figured that out sooner :blush:

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I remember it vividly and I remember it like it was this morning.

Teeing off as the first group in a charity tournament and I am known as the best golfer of my group and of course, we were the first group to go off. There was at minimum 50 people watching us go off.

My 3 playing partners hit decent drives, nothing crazy good, so I really wanted to impress the people watching.

I grab my R11, do my normal preshot routine. Step up to the ball, pick my line and give it a healthy swing... THWACK... more like whack... everyone's head turns and we all start looking for the ball... not a soul can see it and we all think it is due to the sunrise. It didnt sound all that good and didnt feel great. I lean over to pick up my tee and the ball is literally 2 inches in front of my tee embedded into the ground. As I see that, my playing partners quickly follow me digging it out of the ground and I felt like a fat red head walking into high school for the first day. Every single person was literally busting out laughing.

Awful, just awful!

#ForTheShoe

Two shots:
-Playing on a condo filled course in Florida and playing partner says "that is my condo just off the tee to the right" I ask how many times does it get hit. He replies "not really in play since it it so close, only a couple time a year". I proceed to put one right through his screened in patio.

-Playing with my wife and she has a shot very close to a rock barrier, I tell her to open the face and try a wedge. She tells me it wont work, she will hit the rock. I proceed to demonstrate: solid shot into rock strait back into my chest... still hear about that to this day.

first round out a few years ago with my father in law, brother in law and his friend. I hadn't married in yet, and we went out to play. My wife was talking a big game for me unfortunately, and I topped my drive across the road on the first hole and they all started laughing. luckily for me, I striped it the rest of the day to redeem myself.

When I was a kid, maybe 13 I played in a mens night with my Dad at a par 3 executive course. Teeing off on 17 I was playing great, 6 over par and I had never been anywhere near that low before.

140 yard par 3, OB left. Hit 5 hooked tee shots aiming progressively further right until I finally hit one straight 50 yards right of the green onto the second tee. Whack it on the green, 3 putt for a 15. By this time noone in the group could even watch.

Another time I was playing in a scramble with three very important clients, standing behind my tee shot I take a slow practise swing and chunk a little divot and hit my client who was standing on the side of the tee box right in the forehead with it. I was mortified, he and his two sons thought it was pretty funny.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV