Most embarrassing shot you ever hit?

boxerjoe2011

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First tournament in years, I was playing in the A flight. On the first tee I decided to pull out a 3 wood on the tee (it was a decent length par 5 which was a very tight hole and I wanted something a little easier to hit off the first tee). I straight up just top my drive. Oops. Hit my 3rd in the water. Drain a nice 25 footer for double haha.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Friend of my father-in-law invites he and I to his club. Relatively nice place. I kill it on the range, but (no surprise) can't bring it to the course. My play and my confidence goes continually downhill.

We arrive at number 17, a long par 3. I $hank it. (literal hosel rocket). The ball flies toward a beautiful home with picture windows all across the back of the house ... this house is really far off-line, it is NOT in play and in no way in any sort of range of the hole. Somehow I miss the windows, but thunk off the house. Stunned, I hang my head and walk back to the cart, deciding to be done for the day.

After everyone else hits, I convince myself not to quit and tee up another ball ... $hank it AGAIN! This time the contact is not as good and the ball doesn't quite reach the house, but ends of in their back yard. i'm officially done and quite embarrassed.

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

Earlier this year I was teeing off on the #1 hdcp hole on the course. It had been raining all day and the ground was really soggy. I tried to blast it and ended up topping it. It landed about 2 inches in front of my tee and buried right into the mud about 2 inches deep. My buddy tried to run to his cart to get his camera but I dug it out with my divot tool before he could take the pic. Was pretty embarrassed.

Taylormade SIM2 9* AD-BB7x
Taylormade M2 3W
Titleist 913Hd 20*
Srixon Z585 w/Nippon 125TX 
Cleveland CBX2 50* & 56*
Odyssey 2Ball Fang

This one was more entertaining than embarrassing...

The other day we got paired up with a cool British guy, must have been a scratch player. All of us were joking around all day so we had a good rapport thing going on. Id been hitting it right all day. So we get to 17, which has those tall nets all along the [i]left[/i] side to keep the ball out of the street. I tell the guy that no matter how im playing, I always hit leftinto that net. He gives me a couple of pointers, and im all confident and ready to go. I give it nice whack and the ball goes straight at the nets, and somehow finds an impossible-to-hit-into break and flies into the street about 10 feet from a guy jogging by. The guy yells "Nice shot!"

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Some funny stuff here. My most embarrassing shot occurred on a 140 yard par 3. This was when I was back in school. It's a pretty easy hole.....water in front and a small country road that goes behind the hole and just to the right. Anyways, I tee it up, take one last look at the hole and then hit the ball. Somehow I hit this moonball push about 20 yards straight right and towards this country road. No big deal, right? Well, it is a big deal because this small truck is now coming down the road that I did not see. I'm holding my breath, halfway expecting the ball to drop and miss the truck. Well I hear a loud thud and then see the truck come to a stop. Oh no! So I hurry over to the truck to see what damage I might have caused. I'm thinking and hoping it landed in the truck bed which wouldn't be a big deal. No....that didn't happen. As I get closer, I realize that the front windshield is has a huge spiderweb like crack all over it. Fortunately for me, the driver was a middle-aged lady who seemed to be dazed instead of some dude who was ready to kill me. Long story short, my Dad's homeowners insurance paid for a new windshield....which of course means I had to tell my Dad and family about this embarassing shot. Ugh. I didn't play for six weeks after that which was unheard of for me back then.

Cleveland Custom XL - Black Tie X
TEE CB4 3W, CB2 5W - Proforce V2 X
Adams Idea Pro 3H - Aldila By You S
Callaway Apex 4I - KBS Tour X
Bridgestone J38 DPC 5-PW - KBS Tour X
588 RTX Rust - 52, 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey MXM #9, 34 in.

Signature hole of a very nice course in NorCal. Par four over water with the green near huge club restaurant picture windows filled with people eating lunch (busy day, of course).

Nice tee ball, but I pull the wrong club for the 2nd shot. I have a 7 iron in hand instead of a 9. Too lazy to walk back to the cart. Nooo problem, I'll just take a little sumpin' offa this one.

You're thinking windows are you? Nope, flew the green and landed on the sidewalk right in front of the gawking diners, bounced straight up into the air, about 50 feet up onto the roof, landing like a hand grenade, and did a slow (and I'm told noisy) roll down the roof landing in front of the windows again, coming to rest in the flower bed. Awkward drop.

I had a really bad sequence of shots once. Playing matchplay for my club's top team and had the manager, selector and several spectators watching.

Was 30 yards from the hole to an open green. Shanked my chip shot into a bunker, then hit my bunker shot to the fringe, then putted the ball off the green back into the same bunker. Picked up and conceded the hole.

I did end up winning the match 3/2 though.

[quote name='DD4442' timestamp='1379535717' post='7873293']
Signature hole of a very nice course in NorCal. Par four over water with the green near huge club restaurant picture windows filled with people eating lunch (busy day, of course).

Nice tee ball, but I pull the wrong club for the 2nd shot. I have a 7 iron in hand instead of a 9. Too lazy to walk back to the cart. Nooo problem, I'll just take a little sumpin' offa this one.

You're thinking windows are you? Nope, flew the green and landed on the sidewalk right in front of the gawking diners, bounced straight up into the air, about 50 feet up onto the roof, landing like a hand grenade, and did a slow (and I'm told noisy) roll down the roof landing in front of the windows again, coming to rest in the flower bed. Awkward drop.
[/quote]

What course? I gotta try that sometime.

Wente has a water carry with a deck and restaurant behind it, if you come from the right-side fairway, but I am guessing that is not it :-s

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Oh, I had an awesome one today. About 6:45pm and sunset would be pretty soon - good timing for me as I walked to the 18th tee. After I hit my tee shot I hear a "mind if I play up with you" from behind me, another walking single from the adjacent 15th hole(par3) skipped over to the 18th to get one last hole in before it was too dark. So, being who I am I let him tee off with me and we both walk to our balls making a little conversation, Names, Do you play here often, yada yada... We hit our approach shots and I got a wicked flier and bounced off the back of the 18th green, as I got to where I could spot my ball I noticed it was right at the base of a tree on the right side - awesome, I'm right handed so this is going to be fun.

Well, Something in my head told me to flip over my 56° Wedge and try a lefty punch to at least advance the ball to where I could hit it normally - I never practice it so I was expecting something hilarious to happen, and to make things better I don't think I've ever done it with a 56° Wedge, Usually use my 7-iron. So, 20yd left-hand pitch shot... What happens? Well, I managed to hit the ball(yay!) and somehow bounce it off the side of the tree straight up and almost hit myself clean in the nose, the ball skimmed the side of my face and knocked my hat clean off my head about 10 feet behind me. What's better? My ball came to rest INSIDE MY HAT... The only thing the single who was playing up with me said was "In 30 years I've NEVER seen someone do that" As he tried to hide a nice laugh and smile. After I got done being scared out of my mind from almost hitting myself in the face I had to laugh at it. I still don't even know how I managed to do it, I couldn't do it again if I tried.

Edit: I wonder what the ruling on accidentally hitting a ball into your own hat is? Hahaha.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

I can tell you the most embarrassed I ever saw anyone on the course...

I was in a pro am on the Dakotas tour one year. On the first tee, they had a starter announcing everyone's name and where they
were from. One of the ams in my group was literally shaking when they called his name. He teed up his ball, took a mighty swing, and proceeded to hit his ball straight right off the ball washer. It flew way up in the air slightly backwards and landed directly in his water cup sitting in his cart.

There was dead silence for a second, and then one of the other guys in the group said:" leave it to Frank to end up in the only water hazard on the hole!" Laughter all around and the guy turned beat red. He took it pretty well and lightened up after a few holes.

It was a million to one shot and I'll never forget it.

A couple months ago, just me and a buddy are on the second hole early - a construction crew was working on the cart path and was clearly watching us. :slow_en: This one is big dogleg right but there's a pond and some trees over there, it doesn't look very take-on-able. I'm still not really sure how to play this hole.

I put my 5 iron out there into the fairway in the middle part of the dogleg, now I've got a decent angle and a solid 3 wood left. The ground was pretty soft as it had been raining for a few days. I go to hit the second shot, swung, and heard a bad noise...

I didn't even see that
"Yeah I didn't see anything either brah. Sounded like you topped it good."
Yeah it felt like I topped it...
[looks around .. nothing]

The ball is totally embedded 1" beneath the ground at my divot, barely visible. I topped it so bad with a downward strike I just drove it right into the soft ground in front of me. Not sure about the ruling yet but I had to de-embed the ball, clean all of the mud off of it, and redrop it ... I ended up with an 8 on that one anyway. ick :stink:

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

This has got to be my senior year in sectionals. There is this little par 3 that is hole #10, and everyone starts on it for whatever reason for sectionals. Somehow i was the very first person to have to tee off for the entire day, and i think there are like 15 schools there so 15x5 players is 75 players plus coaches, parents you get the drift. This hole is only like 110 yards, and i thought the worst i can do is miss the green. I was wrong. I hit the ball about a mile in the air and it came down about 2 feet right behind me. Ive never hit a ball backwards before or since, but man that was rough.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I once sliced a ball on the 5th hole at my home course, and promptly cracked the winshield of a truck driving by on the adjacent highway. The guy turned into the course, and I took down his info and had to buy him a new windshield. I was golfing with my dad and also the head pro at my course. Probably sliced it a good fifty yards.

The worst I've seen though, was on the first hole at my home course. About 10 years ago they made a new 'extreme' tee box about fifty yards back that they used only for the bigger tournaments. It dragged the par five to a nice length of about 550 and made the shot out of a small 'shute' about 15-20 yards wide. They raised a small tee box up near the cart shack about ten feet off the ground. After a few months it started to sink and the lip of the tee box stuck up above the grass 2-4 inches.

A guy on the first tee at the mens open topped his drive and it hit that lip, rocketed up in the air and cracked a window right behind the cart shack. The worst part is that the first tee is right beside the putting/chipping green, so there was probably 20-40 golfers watching everyone hit off before starting their tourney round.

I felt bad for the guy, LOL.

Luckily no one actually saw this shot but I have told the story a few times. Early this year, on a hole that has water down the left side that you can carry with a big drive. If you do, you will be middle fairway about 50 yards to the pin. I crushed a drive, easily my best of the year. Rolled to the far side of the fairway roughly 40 yards to the green. I used GPS to measure afterwards, and it had it at a legitimate 321. Fired up, I line up my wedge for the approach. To my direct right is another pond- most is actually behind me. As I look to drop my 56 in there, I hit the ball into the pond to my right. I literally hit it straight sideways in order to have it hit water. I darn near had to hit it behind me!

My other great shot was a few years back (probably a decade). I was hitting a 64 degree flop wedge which was awesome around the green. You could hammer it and it would travel about 20 yards top. It is a very difficult club to control. I manage to use it pretty well. The draw back was that if you miss hit it when swinging hard it could go anywhere. I had the misfortunate of "blading" a flop from just off the green. It went screaming through the tee about 50 yards away. They had to be thinking what idiot just over shot a green by 70 yards when they are all next to the green?!
needless to say it was the beginning of the end of my using a 64degree wedge.

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1378877410' post='7830675']
I once tried to do a low punch around a tree and under some limbs with a 4-iron, Hit the trunk dead center and came back and clipped me clean in the nuts. Was on the ground for at least five minutes half laughing half cringing in pain saying "what are the odds" to myself. I did not finish that round.
[/quote]

Quitter.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

A few weeks ago, I drove the ball into the woods on a par 5. Tried to punch out with a 5 iron. Caught a tree square, ball came back, hit a hybrid (which was in my bag) and fell directly into my bag.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I do have to add a shot by my sister in law. She hit a long iron from the rough, and was able to catch a sapling square in the middle of the trunk(not much more than 5 inches round) it flew back at her and hit her square in the forehead knocking her out. Her husband could not stop laughing and was in much trouble when she quickly came to...
100% true story, tree was about 10 feet in front of her and you would never think she could/would hit the thing!

I worked at a country club in college and was out on the course after working one afternoon. A was plying by myself and following a group of ladies.I tried to stay back and putt around so as not to rush them but they flagged me down and asked me to play through. They had all just putted out on a par 3 and stood just off to the left side under a tree as I hit my shot. I proceeded to shank the hell out of the ball and it hit a tree about 25 feet away and ricocheted right back at me. I had to dodge the ball as it came to rest behind where I had teed off.

I was playing with a couple of gents yesterday.....I rattled off 4 pars in the first 4 holes(little practiced mid capper I am). I am feeling pretty good about my game obviously. Next hole is a shorter par 4 with a pond on the right side of the fairway. I am so confident that I grab driver and bang a perfect draw that I started right on the edge of the water and lands in the middle of the now skinny fairway about 95yds away. I proceed to grab SW and take a nice easy swing...but it doesn't feel right.....I look up to see nothing but hear a splash 90 degrees to my right.....completed shank....hmm. I drop a ball and proceed to hit the exact same shot.....hmmm...I then do it a third time, I finally get it going in the right general direction on the 4th shot.
I then par the next 3 holes after that........I was pretty embarrassed to say the least.....Luckily I don't take the game too seriously anymore.

I have hit so many "embarrassing" shots in my career that I can hardly call them embarrassing anymore - more like plain f'n funny.

Just a couple of weeks ago at my usual course, the 2nd hole is a par 5 with a big tree 40 yards in front of the tee box WAY left. I sniped one with a big hook, caught the tree solid (which should not even be in play) and the ball ended up behind the tee blocks - a tee shot with negative yards! My buddies laugh and so starts the conversation of how many backwards tee shots do I have on this course. Drum roll...

#1 Hit the tee block in front of me, came right back making the group scatter, ball ends up in parking lot.
#2 See above
#3 (This is classic), Hit tee shot off the toe and super high, goes straight up, the wind in our face is so strong, the ball is in the air what seems forever as it flies back over our heads and over the fence behind us into the bay.
#4 Hit a tree off to the right of tee box, it ricochets 40 yards backwards. No big deal, I've done it twice.
#5 - #8 No backward shots
#9 Sniped one into trunk of tree just to the left, ball bounced behind tee box and I proceeded to throw my driver into said tree and the driver didn't come down. We came back and got it after the 19th hole.

#10 - See #4, similar, no big deal, have done it three times
#11 No backward shots
#12 (Really f'n funny). Hit a tree to the right off the tee box with a 3i so flush the ball went high and backwards and landed over a big drainage area a good 70 yards behind me. Hit two career shots after and made a 30 footer for par
#13 see #4 again...same thing...wow this course has a lot of trees near the tee boxes
#14 - #17 no backward tee shots, but pretty close with huge slices that seemed to take perfect 90 degree turns
#18 Not technically backward, by feet...in hit a tree on the right, bounced so hard and so hard left, ended up on 10th green.

These are shots over nearly 10 years, so no big deal...I still carry a 6 index.

Fun thread.

Not sure if it's the most embarrassing shot I've had, but definitely one of the most recent.

Par 3, something like 160 yards.
Slice my 1st shot OB
Slice my 2nd shot OB
My friends and I agree that I'll just drop down by the green somewhere.
Drove towards the hole and saw the women's tee which was about 100 yards out. I tell my friends I'll just hit from here since it's a perfect wedge distance for me.
Shank my 3rd shot OB
Chunk my 4th shot into a lateral hazard
Proceeded to just drop my ball somewhere by the green... I couldn't believe I lost so many balls on a par 3. Mind you, I'm not new to the game. So I can't use that excuse.

Taylormade RBZ Tour 10.5*
Adams Idea Pro a12 18*
Mizuno MP52 3-PW
Mizuno MP-T4 50* 54* 58*
Odyssey Tour Designs Black #9
WITB Link

About 12 years ago when I was still trying to play as a two-plane swinger and had really bad consistency problems.

Was playing a course that has a really short, reachable par 5, that had OB on the right.

I stripe my drive down the middle of the fairway. Leaving myself with a 6-iron to a pin sitting right in the middle of the green. I'm licking my chops at the possibility of an eagle....

[b][i]...then I shank the 6-iron OB. [/i][/b]

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1379501294' post='7870317']
....I was playing in a scramble with three very important clients, standing behind my tee shot I take a slow practise swing and chunk a little divot and hit my client who was standing on the side of the tee box right in the forehead with it. I was mortified, he and his two sons thought it was pretty funny.
[/quote]

I'm sitting in the office letting out little snorts and giggles imaging this, priceless!

I was playing a 9-hole pitch and putt with a friend when we were in our early 20's and we joined up with two strangers. On a 165 yard hole I hooked a 5-iron that went as left as it did straight, off the course and into a road. I put another one down and sliced it so badly it went as far right as it did straight, almost off the little course in the opposite direction. One of the guys dead-pans "You may have over-compensated"