Most embarrassing shot you ever hit?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was in a greenside bunker at the 9th hole, an uphill par 3 with the clubhouse behind the green. Had the ball below the feet and topped/blade it very hard, the ball flew the green, the rough, hit the clubhouse, bounced back and landed on the fringe like 10 ft from the hole.

At the same time my most embarrassing and greatest shot! :D

I was invited to my buddy's CC - hole#9 with the Club House directly behind the green … you know where this is going but wait for it ….

150 slightly uphill, hit an 8 iron but caught a flier … balls tracking towards the green side bunker, no big deal … ball doesn't stop traveling … too late to yell FORE as the word gets stuck in my throat … finally lands, hits the cart path, takes a HUUUUUUGE bounce towards the clubhouse … oh SH%T!!!

as I'm walking towards the clubhouse (Hole 1 tee box is 10 yards from #9 green with a couple groups waiting to tee off), a gentleman walks towards me and asks if I'm playing a ProV1 … yes sir, i apologize … apparently, he caught the ball after the huge hop as it was tracking for glass …

as i walk back towards the green, my buddy says, "that was the head pro … good luck joining"

Usam qualifier a few years ago at a course that Michael Jordan is a member of- lots if members were out watching all day (which I always find interesting, but I digress). First hole of second 18, I stuff a sand wedge to a foot, maybe 10 inches. As we are walking up, notice Jordan is one of the members standing by the next tee and he's watching us, and he points to me and starts clapping and says good shot, nice 3.

Yeah, I missed the putt. Had to walk right by him to the next tee shortly tjereafter (in fairness, it was downhill and actually moved a little - greens were super slick) and couldn't make eye contact I was so ashamed. Luckily, I pounded driver down the pipe, but, still. A one foot putt in front of his airness right after he congratulated me on making 3.

I shanked a chip today in route to playing the worst round I have played in a loooong time. All I could do was laugh as I knew it wasn't meant to be today. I was a mental mess today and have been the last few rounds for some reason. I ended up replaying this hole (par 3, 200 yards) and proceeded to shank my tee shot, hit a full 54* and make the 4 foot putt. It opened my eyes that i have been putting unnecessary pressure on my self instead of letting the round just happen. Time for a few days off.

Well I would have to say I hit four embarrassing shots this year I will never forget so cant really choose one...All on the same hole, same day...Also resulted in my highest career score on a hole in a college tournament by two...anyways there were anywhere between 5-10 coaches around the first tee and hooked the hell out of the first one..OB...the second one..OB left again. By that time I couldnt believe it because I just cracked the top 30 in the region 2 days before. Then my next shot I hit it in the fairway bunker right next to the OB left. I just had no clue what the H*ll was going on...I then had no shot in the bunker and tried a miracle shot and bladed it right into the lip. Goes to show you golf owes you nothing. Funny story is after making a 9 (+5) on the first hole I played the rest of my round at +1 in tough conditions. As a result a bunch of coaches and players learned my name... actually almost got a top 10 out of that 2 day tourny..

I was in 9th grade and we were qualifying for our top 6. I was on the 7th tee box and i skied my drive.... but it gets better... It landed on a 30* "launch pad" lie so i went driver off the deck.....

Topped it.

Best bogey i have ever made.

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
Z U45 18* - DG X100
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I had a 6' chip from right off the fringe and I hit it thin and through a window.
My dad offered to pay for it but the guy was very cool. He did say he lived there 15 years
And no one ever hit his house because of the angle it's at beside the green.
Everyone was asking how coukd that even happen from the tee.
I didn't want to say again I was basiclly on the green when I did it.
It was a big window. There was so many people around I almost died.

[quote name='Dillinger' timestamp='1383208068' post='8082394']
I had a 6' chip from right off the fringe and I hit it thin and through a window.
My dad offered to pay for it but the guy was very cool. He did say he lived there 15 years
And no one ever hit his house because of the angle it's at beside the green.
Everyone was asking how coukd that even happen from the tee.
I didn't want to say again I was basiclly on the green when I did it.
It was a big window. There was so many people around I almost died.
[/quote]

You skulled a chip so bad it went through a window?? I'd pay good money to see that! Lol!

I could just picture the announcers calling this shot:
Well, here's Dillinger, he's got a short chip shot from the fringe. Looks like he could putt it but he's choosing a 7 iron. It's a smart play bob, the grass is growing slightly against him and a putt could bobble through there.
These guys are good jimmy, they know what club to use. He's taking a couple if nice short practice swings. And he's all set to go. Wait a minute, for some reason, his club is at parallel! Oh my! He's shulled it!! Right into Mrs. Wilkes front window!! Not since Johnny miller had the yips back in '76 have I seen a blunder like this bob!!

On the first tee,which was probably 30 yards north and 15 yards east of the club's putting green. Pro was on the putting green helping someone. I was 15, hole ran north to south.

I hit a low, glancing blow slicing three wood that went right between his legs a million miles an hour. I was only 15, still don't know who was more shook up. His name was Roger, luckily it was his last summer 'cause I always thought he looked at me funny after that. Next pro was a long time friend of Lee Trevino, but those are other stories.

• 2 weeks later...

I ad one that turned out pretty well. First tee at states while in high school, pull a 2 iron and proceed to hit a thin, skating, low slice just due to nerves. About 40 yrds out hits a tree dead square, as it is coming hits a rock on the side of a cart path and ricochets down the fairway about 160 yards. But right after it hit the tree 10 people around the tee had a look of fear and or took cover ... It left me relieved and a little red in the face.

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* ♦️♦️♦️ w/ Accra Tour Z 65 ST Proto M5
3 wood : Callaway XR Pro 14* w/ Accra Tour Z LS 85 M5
Hybrid : Adams Red 20* w/ Ozik Black Tie 105 X 
4-PW : Mizuno MP-18 w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2
GW: Mizuno MP-T7 51/08 w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2
SW: Mizuno MP-T7 55/11 w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2
LW: Mizuno MP-T7 59/09 w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2
Putter : Rife Mr. Beasley First Run Silver 34" w/ Super Stroke 1.0
Ball: Bridgestone Tour X 

I caddy at Oakmont Country Club and on Monday's when the caddies can play, we often get a lot of money games and side bets going. My best friend growing up also caddies there with me and he is a pretty decent player, played at Penn State for a couple years. Well, he gets invited into one of the bigger money games and this being my first time playing in the group having been invited as his teammate I wanted to make a good impression. I carry a pretty good handicap, play in a lot of tournaments and the like. But on this particular day I had just come out of probably the worst slump my game has ever seen. I about quit golf. Well the way the course is laid out, caddys often go off number 12 and play back around to 18 and then go off either 10 or 1 after the crowd thins out a bit. This was a day we started on 12.

I hit my tee shot into the left bunkers, which there is never any play forward out of but I decide to try on this day for some reason. I hit the 10 foot face and my ball hits me. I pitch out sideways and then proceed to take an 8 (par 5). 13 is a par 3 back up the hill towards the clubhouse. I cold shank a 7 iron into the woods, which might be the only ball in the history of the club, to find it's way into that particular tree line, it's so far out of the way. The two guys we are playing against turn to look at me and my friend and say "well, I'm sorry that you're just not having the best of days, I guess you can play with us some other time maybe..."

I never felt so embarrassed on a golf course... in other news, we have since redeemed ourselves against this pair.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

This wasn't my shot, but still a good story. We're on the first tee and my friend who's just getting into golf is hitting. He'd been bragging to us about how far he was hitting it at the range, and when he swings he tops the ball and his driver flies out of his hands and into a tree. He had to jump up and hit it down with another club. Thankfully he knew the people behind us so they just laughed

Ping G30
Titleist 915 F
Ping Rapture Hybrid 21
Mizuno MP15 4-PW
Vokey SM6 50, 56, 60
Byron Morgan DH89

I was playing with a group of guys that needed a 5th in their money game. Some of my regular playing partners had recommended i join them, given my addiction to playing for some cash. The first hole has a lateral water hazard about 50 yards off of the tee box and I proceeded to top not one, but two balls into the water. I dropped and hit 5 across the hazard with my nine iron. Making an 8 wasn't a good start to the round.

18th at the K club..dont know if you guys know the hole, but its a par 5 where you have a blindish drive, and then about 240 left i think with water all down the left side.

playing really well, figure i'll just lay up to a 3/4 wedge, and protect my score as it was with a company outing. We were the last group out, so everyone is sitting on the patio watching people come in, hit my lay up and walk up to the ball with wedge in hand. go to hit it on, and boom, bladed. right into the patio area, somehow manages to stay in bounds so no biggie, just try to get up and down for par. bladed again right into the lake. sh*t this sucks. take my drop, chunked. next shot, bladed back near patio.

didnt even pick up my ball, just walked right to the bar and ordered a beer. absolutely brutal

TM R11TP Rip Alpha 60X
Ping i20 15* wood TFC707 X
TM RBZTP 17.5* Rul 80X
TM MC TP 3-PW w/ DG X100
TM ATV 54*, Vokey 60*
Bettinardi BB1 with Superstroke Mid

Unfortunately for me, my most embarrassing shot was followed up by a more embarrassing shot.

Par 5, second shot was laying up with a hybrid. Topped it so bad it bounced backward. Composed myself and decided to take my medicine, if you will, and pulled 5i. Topped it just as bad the second time directly down in to a soaked fairway.

I played the hole out with my 8i.

Par 3 ... easy little 175yarder. No real danger around the green, ground is super soft from rain, so green light to go for it.

Pull my 7 iron, take some smooth practice swings, step up to the tee and make a pass at it. I can tell it was a bad swing, and contact felt low, so thought I must've caught that one THIN. Look up fully expecting to see a low screamer...but nothing. Can't see the ball. Must've lost it in the tree line behind the green.

None of my playing partners saw it either. Puzzled, I bend down to pick up my tee.

"OH NO, you have got to be kidding me!"

My ball is still on the tee. The tee is still in the ground. The pair are about 2" under the surface of the grass. I somehow managed to top the ball so PERFECTLY on top that it never left the tee and managed to push them both absolutely straight down deep into the wet ground.

I think it took me and my playing partners about 5 minutes to pick ourselves up off the ground from laughing to hard...

To this day they've never let me live it down.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1384882652' post='8172664']
Par 3 ... easy little 175yarder. No real danger around the green, ground is super soft from rain, so green light to go for it.

Pull my 7 iron, take some smooth practice swings, step up to the tee and make a pass at it. I can tell it was a bad swing, and contact felt low, so thought I must've caught that one THIN. Look up fully expecting to see a low screamer...but nothing. Can't see the ball. Must've lost it in the tree line behind the green.

None of my playing partners saw it either. Puzzled, I bend down to pick up my tee.

My ball is still on the tee. The tee is still in the ground. The pair are about 2" under the surface of the grass. I somehow manages to top the ball so PERFECTLY that I never left the tee and managed to push then both deep into the wet ground.

I think it took me and my playing partners about 5 minutes to pick ourselves up off the ground from laughing to hard...

[/quote]

Thats is an impressive feat. I thought my back to back toppers were bad...

Still trying to figure out the physics of it.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

[quote name='DublinBomber' timestamp='1384876654' post='8172126']
18th at the K club..dont know if you guys know the hole, but its a par 5 where you have a blindish drive, and then about 240 left i think with water all down the left side.

playing really well, figure i'll just lay up to a 3/4 wedge, and protect my score as it was with a company outing. We were the last group out, so everyone is sitting on the patio watching people come in, hit my lay up and walk up to the ball with wedge in hand. go to hit it on, and boom, bladed. right into the patio area, somehow manages to stay in bounds so no biggie, just try to get up and down for par. bladed again right into the lake. sh*t this sucks. take my drop, chunked. next shot, bladed back near patio.

didnt even pick up my ball, just walked right to the bar and ordered a beer. absolutely brutal
[/quote]

That is such a great reaction by you to what just happened, that's just classic! That made the story

Titleist Pro V1

I was playing 18 at a course that I was working at and the group in front waived me through on the par 3 12th. I hit my shot pin high, but missed the green slightly left. I get up to the green and it was the owner of the golf course and his group of friends. While taking a couple practice swings I clip the ball and it heads straight toward the owner. Super embarrassing...

Mavrik Sub Zero 9* Rogue White 60
Mavrik Sub Zero 15* Rogue White 70
Srixon Z785 4-6 ZForged 7-W Project X LZ
Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 
Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='alange_underpar' timestamp='1384911762' post='8175206']

[/quote]

That is such a great reaction by you to what just happened, that's just classic! That made the story
[/quote]

haha yea, one of the guys looked at me, and couldnt stop laughing, paid for my pint though, and said "we've all been there, only a beer will fix it"

TM R11TP Rip Alpha 60X
Ping i20 15* wood TFC707 X
TM RBZTP 17.5* Rul 80X
TM MC TP 3-PW w/ DG X100
TM ATV 54*, Vokey 60*
Bettinardi BB1 with Superstroke Mid

[quote name='DublinBomber' timestamp='1384948174' post='8176816']
[quote name='alange_underpar' timestamp='1384911762' post='8175206']

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha yea, one of the guys looked at me, and couldnt stop laughing, paid for my pint though, and said "we've all been there, only a beer will fix it"
[/quote]

I would dare say that the way you handled that went beyond being funny and actually made it cool.

Titleist Pro V1

Hole 4 at my club is a straight away par 5. Pulled my drive a little left and into an old pond that they turned into a waste bunker. I had a shot to get home in two, only problem was a huge tree and the fact that I was in a waste bunker. I needed to play a LARGE slice to get around the tree. I lined up with the face open, adjusted my grip to play the slice and took a mighty swing. Hit the very top of the ball and pushed the ball directly into the ground, did not move. ( Well down i guess) Had to take an unplayable and dig my ball out of the trap. Needless to say, I took a drop and pitched back out into the fairway.

TaylorMade R11s 9
TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 14.5
18 & 21 2011 TaylorMade Rescues
Ping Eye 2 5-L

[quote name='Fade to Black' timestamp='1384882652' post='8172664']

My ball is still on the tee. The tee is still in the ground. The pair are about 2" under the surface of the grass. I somehow managed to top the ball so PERFECTLY on top that it never left the tee and managed to push them both absolutely straight down deep into the wet ground.

[/quote]This made me laugh

TM R15 w/ Matrix 6m3 s
TM RBZ 15* w/ UST VTS silver 7x
Ping Rapture DI w/ Fuji Speeder 9.8 TS s
Ping s55 3-W w/ CFS x
Vokey SM5 52*, TVD 58* w/ s400
Piretti Cotton Wood II