Most embarrassing shot you ever hit?

boxerjoe2011

Biggest tournament I had played in at the time, 16 years old, my high school golf tournament for Northern CA. First group off the 7th tee at a shotgun start with rules officials per group. Teed off last in my group. 3 balls in the fairway and 9 people watching all I had tondo was hit a 175 shot. Took my shortest hybrid and WHOOPS! Topped it maybe 15 yds away.

They were all dead silent. Nobody talked to me for five more holes. Started triple, double, bogey but almost saved it with an 84.

Probably the most red I have ever been! I just wanted to bolt out of there! Next time I'm leaving early for a little range time...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing with my dad and 2 professors. It is an uphill par 3 about 120 yards. I knew right away that it was tracking, and it landed about 3-4 yards past the hole.

I decided to putt and get out of the way, and ended up 3 putting. It was a hang your head type of moment, thankfully that did not carry over as I scored par on 3 straight holes after.

• 3 weeks later...

1st tee my first club championship. I was playing really well 2 weeks prior decide at the last week to enter
Then few days before my tee off I couldn't turn the ball over and was hitting a good flush cut I tried everything I could but couldn't get my draw back
On the morning had 15 pairs of eyes watching when it's my turn. You know the usual procedure. Name is announced everyone told to be quiet and everyone around the tee box were practicing there putting all stop and stare at the players on the first tee
Straight par 4 that has dense tree on either side was general wide fairway but all the 4-5 groups ahead was hitting an iron and everyone i saw was middle of the fairway even if short
I come up and was determined to turn the ball over Took out my hybrid and hit it perfectly down the middle of the fairway then it started hooking into the tree
Took a provisional. Did exact same thing
Embarrssing in front of strangers.
Course management something I still have to learn. Also just go with what I have. My draw will come back and not to force it

I'm center of fairway. Hole next to us to our right has fairway coming back towards us. Guy has hit his tee shot to the right so he is in the rough between fairways under some trees, off to my right and slightly ahead of me as I'm looking at my green. Naturally I make one of my worst swings ever (yes, there have been others); I stone cold top my shot with a wide open club face. The ball scalds along the ground, into the rough (which takes some of the smoke off it), jumps up, smacks into the guy's stand bag just below the top which stops it dead, then drops as neat as you please into the slightly unzipped ball pocket on his bag. So, I got a two-fer: my most embarrassing shot AND my best trick shot, all in one. Of course I apologized profusely, we all had a laugh, I got my ball back,....oh, and an extra shot for the "unplayable" lie.

The year before I joined this site I had really started playing golf again. Before this I was a 4-5 times a year guy who did it socially and for getting out of the house.

Sooooo I joined a league. Guys would go out and then sit on back deck, discuss their rounds and have a couple beers and some food. I'm in the last group coming down 9. 9th hole is wide open and 415 yards. The club house sits about 30 yards to the left of the 9th green and the deck starts right there. I'm sitting about 160 out and pull the 7 iron. Take the shot and my worst fears start to unfold. Dead pull left (knew it when I hit it because it felt great!) and flush. Heading right to the club house. I'm watching and I have to yell the words you don't want to yell to a bunch of ball busting guys who had already finished......FORE LEFT. Ball is heading right at them. BOOM.... Ball smashes the roof and kicks farther left, off the pavement, rolling 100 yards and ends up behind the 18th green in the rough. You had 36 guys stand up and applaud as I walked by heading to my ball with my face red from embarrassment. I still hear about that shot today. No passive brag coming either. Bad wedge into the green and 3 putt for a double 6.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Was invited to play in a private tournament with some very skilled golfers. The course we played had arranged starter and name calling at the first tee for the occasion. Some of the guys in my group talked about feeling a little nervous under such circumstances. I generously offered some kind advice about playing a safe shot thus reliving the pressure and just get the round started. My name was called and resting in a false sense of security from my own sound advice I pulled my 5-wood and walked to the tee. Remembering in the last minute not to take practice swing in the tee-box.
Dead silence. Everyone watching. “OK. Nice smooth swing… Nothing to it”. Start the swing, follow through, felt I took it “a little deep” but nonetheless ended up in a nice balanced position. Couldn’t see my ball that was supposed to sail safely down the middle of the FW. Looked down. I had taken a huge divot right under the ball. About a foot long with the tee still in it. The ball had moved 2 feet but still straight down the tee-box.

Gotta tell this story cuz it just fits and heeds to be heard.

When I lived in Chattanooga my best friend and I used to rent the indoor sim at DSG during the winter months. We'd meet there, pay 20 bucks and play for an hour at any course they had available. St. Andrews, Doral, Pebble....we played em all. It was fun and we got to know the PGA pro who worked there a long with a few of the golf department managers and what not.....

So one day we go in there and my buddy had been dying to get a new driver. Obviously DSG is the home of Taylormade fanboys, and this one was no different. He grabbed the hottest thing out, which at the time was the R11s if I remember correctly. If not it was the 1st gen R11. It was white for sure. Anyways, the bay is probably I dunno 10 ft tall by 12 ft wide or somethin like that? We're both pretty big guys, I'm 6'4 and he's 6'6 but we'd played here literally a hundred times.

Anyways we're playin St. Andrews and he gets ready to tee off with the brand new R11 he is demoing. The DSG rep taped it up and handed it to him to use for the 'round.' He has a fairly upright swing and the very first swing he takes, he hits the ball square but finishes with the club straight up and down and DRILLS the ceiling of the simulator with the club, snapping it in two half way up the shaft!!!

Not only did it sound awful, I fell on the floor laughing and our friend who was the DSG golf dept manager stood there stunned, mouth open. People came over to see what was going on. My buddy was sweating bullets and red as a tomato. It was classic.

The DSG manager calmly took the club and said 'oh well....we'll send it back as defective' hahah! He sure as heck didn't offer my buddy another one though, I can guarantee ya that!

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Playing in a tournament two years ago, I think. We get to the 11th hole, which is a long par 3, about 215 yards. There's a pond up by the tee, but there's no real trouble other than some trees around the green. It was playing pretty slow, so we had a few minutes to wait on the tee, and while we're waiting, one of the guys tells us that he was playing with a guy in the same tournament last year who was really struggling, and on this hole, he cold topped his tee shot into the pond right in front of the tee. The green clears, and I grab my 3 iron and step up to hit my shot...and cold topped it right into the pond in front of the tee. For reference, I'm a low single digit handicap, and a pretty good ball striker for the most part, and I can't remember the last time I topped a shot with an iron before that, and I haven't done it since. Not only was it embarrassing, it screwed up my head and I couldn't do anything right for the rest of the round, and I shot a 50 on the back nine, which is another thing I haven't done in years (or since).

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I swear I've got this trademarked: Crush a drive. Totally bone the next shot. I think I get a nickle every time someone else does this. What I find even more embarrassing is when the very next shot after a dead-shank is- another dead-shank. I just hang my head, let out a sigh and under my breath say "Oh, the rage".

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

My dad and I get to a par 3 and the guys on the green are waving us to go ahead and play the hole since they were a four-man group and it was just my dad and I. so I get up there to tee off, i'm already nerves when people are watching you tee off, and here I am telling myself don't fk(excuse my french) up! so i take a practice swing and get set up....on my downswing my 7-iron head breaks from the shaft and go flying into the fairway! of course the guys don't know what just happened and probably didn't see my ball land about 40 yards in front of me. Think the head went farther than the ball. I go nonchalantly to pick up my ball and iron head and approach the green telling one of the guys what just happened. The guys on the green and I look back and see my dad searching on the fairway for what seemed like a long time and I ask him what he is searching for. he tells me your 7-iron head. I already picked it up I told him. he says in an embarrassing tone , "why didn't you tell me!"

• 2 weeks later...