Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Not so much golf technique but I hear some of the most idiotic political, financial, relationship, love, work, life advice at the golf range. Some people just love to blabber about anything and everything to themselves, their buddies, and try to engage me in conversation when I'll simply pick up my bucket and leave without saying a word to them. Get the hint, bud? Shut the F UP!

Speaking of blabbering...Two married guys in their late 50's-early 60's talking about their bad luck "getting lucky" on a sugar daddy website they both belonged to. Trying to stifle my giggles/full-blown laughter was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Hearing "and she said "you're old enough to be my grandfather" in mid-swing can be distracting.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

^Exactly. Most everything like that is fair game in the bar but on the range I'm all about that practice. I don't even mind most of the chit-chat in between walking to our next shots/hole on the course (buddies or strangers doesn't bother me) but it's the never ending talking on the range when I'm trying to work on stuff that bugs me. I've tried wearing headphones but it kills the audio feedback from hitting balls so I just try to find a quiet stall away from the noise or do something else until they finish.

I fail to see how the mat accounts for my teed up drives flying 230 at the range and 260 with proper balls on the course.

It doesn't. Why would it?

Also, since the ball does not care what surface it's sitting on as it loses contact with it at the moment of impact, all the difference between shots from a mat vs. grass lies with the player and his swing.

Let's make a bet: We play a round where you play all your shots from sand, while I hit all my shots from the fairway...

When I was a junior player there was an older guy that most of the competitive golfers hated. He was darn good but he tended to talk about himself a lot. We got paired many times together and I quickly found that he was pretty much harmless. So I tended to just ignore his odd comments about himself and we got along fine. One day we are warming up next to each other on the range and I'm just not hitting it well at all. I look up and he says "man it must be tough to struggle like that when the guy next to you is just striping it!"

We both just busted up laughing. It was such a ridiculous comment. I knew deep down he really didn't mean anything by it but some other guy might have knocked him out.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

This article from TrackMan explains it well:

https://blog.trackma...ats-difference/

It's interesting but I'm not sure you get a lot from it since it was such a small sample size of shots and the minimum possible number of mat's. It would be very interesting to get some players together to test out a lot of different mat's at a range that also has a quality grass area. I have a FIberBuilt mat and a SkyTrak so I suppose it would be possible for me to actually test it out. It's a little too cold around here though.

This article from TrackMan explains it well:

https://blog.trackma...ats-difference/

It's interesting but I'm not sure you get a lot from it since it was such a small sample size of shots and the minimum possible number of mat's. It would be very interesting to get some players together to test out a lot of different mat's at a range that also has a quality grass area. I have a FIberBuilt mat and a SkyTrak so I suppose it would be possible for me to actually test it out. It's a little too cold around here though.

Living in Wisconsin, i know what you mean by being a little cold...

Anecdotally, I have heard pros on TGC say the same thing as that Trackman blog.

I recall Charlie Rymer saying 10-15 yards difference between grass and mats.

For me (and maybe it's only me, IDK...) but the reduced distance of my range's golf balls netted with enhancements from mat impact replicates my on course distance with a decent ball off a grass fairway. perfectly.

Last night, after warming up, I took 15 swings off a tee and 15 off a mat with a 7 iron and then repeated that a second time. Not warm enough to test off of grass.

The top two are the tee swings and the bottom two are off the mat. On the course I play my 7i at about 165 carry.

My local range uses recycled balls (not limited flight) and really only has mats (their grass area is pathetic). I have not noticed any sudden jump in distances when hitting off the mats there. I also have pulled out the laser to make sure of my distances to their markers.

Last night, after warming up, I took 15 swings off a tee and 15 off a mat with a 7 iron and then repeated that a second time. Not warm enough to test off of grass.

The top two are the tee swings and the bottom two are off the mat. On the course I play my 7i at about 165 carry.

My local range uses recycled balls (not limited flight) and really only has mats (their grass area is pathetic). I have not noticed any sudden jump in distances when hitting off the mats there. I also have pulled out the laser to make sure of my distances to their markers.

You might want to work out that 28 yard carry variation from 148-176 (just in the 4 swings we can see). lol

You might want to work out that 28 yard carry variation from 148-176 (just in the 4 swings we can see). lol

Right? In the 60 swings 148 was the worst and 180 was the 'best'. To be honest about 25% of my swings were unacceptable carry wise. I won't mention how far I pulled the 'best' lest someone else zooms in on that as well.

Somewhere in the 2016 season I started losing distance on my irons but didn't mess with it as my scores were consistent with the previous years. Mid-season 2017 the wheels slowly came off and I was playing my irons 20 yards shorter than I previously had and directional consistency had left the building. Went to a pro to and it's a big work in progress. Thankfully I have a place to work on it during the cold months rather than having to wait to try to fix it. I'm smiling as the snow is showering down outside my office window right now but no doubt the inconsistency sucks.

"I jumped in the river to save you. To get my wings."

Oops - my bad. You did say on the range. LMAO

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I was practicing chipping out of shaggy rough with my sand wedge.

This guy comes up to me and says, "Hey, you really should be using a 7 iron."

I said with a better lie greenside, I would use a 7 or 8i.

He proceeded to tell me I should use a 7i all the time. I replied that this was a special fluff chip I was working on.

"You need to know I'm a 7 HDCP," he added, as he walked away (thankfully!)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

casual conversation between a friend and me at the lit up executive/range; older guy (60's) butts in and tells us to "be quiet..." almost lost my s*it. told him to join a country club.

Do you think Jack would have "lost his s*it" in that situation? I mean, if we're picking role models then Nicklaus is the epitome of grace under pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

I fail to see how the mat accounts for my teed up drives flying 230 at the range and 260 with proper balls on the course.

It doesn't. Why would it?

Also, since the ball does not care what surface it's sitting on as it loses contact with it at the moment of impact, all the difference between shots from a mat vs. grass lies with the player and his swing.

Let's make a bet: We play a round where you play all your shots from sand, while I hit all my shots from the fairway...

Yep and I would like half your "action" on that bet if I may

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

casual conversation between a friend and me at the lit up executive/range; older guy (60's) butts in and tells us to "be quiet..." almost lost my s*it. told him to join a country club.

Had a similar situation where another member and I were messing around on the range with some vintage irons. At the time we were both mini tour players and pretty decent. We were pureing some old blades. Now this old hack was missing everything he hit and was getting madder. He finally told us we needed to STFU no joke. He was a Tourist golfer anyhow. I informed him this was our club that we were members here and that this was our beach. If he did not like it I -95 runs back up North---- Not trying to offend anyone from up North just telling a story. BTW he STFU and continued hacking balls

I was practicing chipping out of shaggy rough with my sand wedge.

This guy comes up to me and says, "Hey, you really should be using a 7 iron."

I said with a better lie greenside, I would use a 7 or 8i.

He proceeded to tell me I should use a 7i all the time. I replied that this was a special fluff chip I was working on.

"You need to know I'm a 7 HDCP," he added, as he walked away (thankfully!)

I was practicing the old chop pop with a 60* one day. That is an old Trevino trick. Had this guy tell me you need to follow through. He had no idea. People like that I do not bother to try to explain because they would still not understand. He said something else but shut up when I offered to play up and down from any spot he chose for $20 a ball.

I bet Lefty Luck knows all about the chop pop because he gave me a like :taunt:

Not sure of a chop pop, something like this I assume based on the name.

Exactly 100% correct. I got the name from Trevino learned it from him at a clinic many moons ago. Saw a video one time of Paul Goydos teaching it to one of the rookie players at the US Open one year. I know Paul played some minis against him back in the day. That move is strictly old school. KC must have had an old school teacher at one time or one of the old schoolers showed him that trick

I got fit for this shaft because it game me the best top spin.

Mizuno ST 200 - 10.5 - Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6X

Mizuno ST 200 - 3w - Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 7X
Callaway X Forged UT 18 - Aerotech Steelfiber i95
Mizuno MP 20 HMB - 4 - Nippon Moddus Tour 120X
Mizuno MP 20 - 5-PW - Nippon Moddus Tour 120X
Mizuno T20 Satin Chrome - 51 - DG Tour Issue S400
Misuno T20 Raw - 55,59 - DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport 34”
Srixon Z Star XV

Not sure of a chop pop, something like this I assume based on the name.

Exactly 100% correct. I got the name from Trevino learned it from him at a clinic many moons ago. ... That move is strictly old school ....

If you do the pop chop with half swing and a 7i out of the light rough, this is a hinge and hold which will get you back to the fairway. (But, you need much firmer L-hand pull for this one.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Do you think Jack would have "lost his s*it" in that situation? I mean, if we're picking role models then Nicklaus is the epitome of grace under pressure.

sounds like you're the type of guy to pull the "be quiet" card on the range. are you serious in asking that question?

Had a similar situation where another member and I were messing around on the range with some vintage irons. At the time we were both mini tour players and pretty decent. We were pureing some old blades. Now this old hack was missing everything he hit and was getting madder. He finally told us we needed to STFU no joke. He was a Tourist golfer anyhow. I informed him this was our club that we were members here and that this was our beach. If he did not like it I -95 runs back up North---- Not trying to offend anyone from up North just telling a story. BTW he STFU and continued hacking balls

yeah, that's two strikes for the old timer there...unreal

Pro V1's go 45 per cent further than these range balls...

I don't know, I went to a range in Gilbert, AZ last weekend with some crappy balls. Some had dimples worn off and flew like a knuckle ball. Pro V1 might go 100% further than those.

On that same outing overheard a dad giving instruction to son and wife, "Let the club do the work" "Focus on your grip". Then he hit a ball. Pure Gold. Come on dude......(Ya, I'm mean sometimes)

sounds like you're the type of guy to pull the "be quiet" card on the range. are you serious in asking that question?

There are "be quiet" cards on on the driving range? I had no idea. I've only seen them at tournaments.

Look, I'm kind of old-fashioned. If an "older guy" - though I'm not sure why his age was relevant to your complaint - asks me to be quiet on the range I might not like it but I try to defer to older folks because I have this notion that they deserve my deference, even if they're being a bit of a jerk. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel and try to behave. It just seems more civilized than "losing one's sh*t" over what is really nothing or at worst a momentary annoyance.