Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Couple guys a few stalls down from me getting excited about “reaching” the back fence of the range.... roughly 300 yards away. From my angle I could see dust kick up at about 175 yards.... must have been one hell of a roll out. They were having fun.... that’s all that matters.

Reminds me of a good friend - great guy, poor golfer and literally blind as a bat. Sometimes at the range he'll hit a drive and stand there gazing into the distance, holding his follow through with a satisfied look on his face, while I'm watching his ball spinning off to the right about 150 metres! Greatest guy though!

Couple guys a few stalls down from me getting excited about “reaching” the back fence of the range.... roughly 300 yards away. From my angle I could see dust kick up at about 175 yards.... must have been one hell of a roll out. They were having fun.... that’s all that matters.

Reminds me of a good friend - great guy, poor golfer and literally blind as a bat. Sometimes at the range he'll hit a drive and stand there gazing into the distance, holding his follow through with a satisfied look on his face, while I'm watching his ball spinning off to the right about 150 metres! Greatest guy though!

Got paired w a guy the other day who was next to me on the green looking for his ball and it was 50 yards back in the rough.

• 6 months later...

So, yesterday at the driving range before a round I walked over and loaded my bag on our cart, loaded all my other crap in it, then took a drink of what I thought was my buddies pop. This guy walks over from the range and asks me what the fark I am doing. Huh?? I then realize our cart was right behind this one.

I apologized profusely, and offered to buy him a new pop. It was apparent that I clearly thought the whole thing was funnier than he did.

When I was a kid my first exposure to golf was a driving range. My grandfather was an alcoholic and my grandmother thought he was trying to quit. When we would visit him he would ask if I wanted to go hit some balls at the range. He would take me and get a big bucket after stopping at the liquor store for a cold six pack. He would sit on a bench and drink while I tried to hit. If I finished before he did he would go get another bucket. LOL

A guy who was dressed in matching, bright Puma gear walked behind me on the range before an outing. He watched me hit about (4) 4 iron shots which were all well struck. He started touching my bag and looking closer at my irons and said, "You have a nice swing. Why would you play these old, rusty clubs? You should really go to Dick's. They'll fit you for a new set on a launch monitor." and walked away.

When I left the range, I saw him top 2 balls with his driver.

WAY too many things to list here. :rolleyes:

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

On the putting green at the range a buddy and I were practicing. He was chipping and I was putting. Big fat guy comes up to him and says, "That's the biggest dick move ever, chipping on the putting green". Well it's not a putting green it's a practice green and there's never been a sign preventing chipping on that green and everyone does it. It's also plenty big enough that 4 or 5 guys could be doing their own thing and never interfere with each other. After I heard that I took out a wedge and started chipping too, just to be join in the fun. I'm not chipping anywhere hear him but as soon as he sees me doing it, he immediately switches putting to the hole I'm chipping to even though he's at least 70 feet away. So I gather up the ball I have on the green and face another hole whereupon he proceeds to putt over there. Instead of chipping though, I turn and face another hole as he goes to get his ball and chip it over there. This repeats for about 5 or 6 minutes until he stomps off the green mumbling.

On the putting green at the range a buddy and I were practicing. He was chipping and I was putting. Big fat guy comes up to him and says, "That's the biggest dick move ever, chipping on the putting green". Well it's not a putting green it's a practice green and there's never been a sign preventing chipping on that green and everyone does it. It's also plenty big enough that 4 or 5 guys could be doing their own thing and never interfere with each other. After I heard that I took out a wedge and started chipping too, just to be join in the fun. I'm not chipping anywhere hear him but as soon as he sees me doing it, he immediately switches putting to the hole I'm chipping to even though he's at least 70 feet away. So I gather up the ball I have on the green and face another hole whereupon he proceeds to putt over there. Instead of chipping though, I turn and face another hole as he goes to get his ball and chip it over there. This repeats for about 5 or 6 minutes until he stomps off the green mumbling.

Awkward moments at the golf course, they could fill 3 encyclopedia tomes for sure! That was a great read man. Haha

So, yesterday at the driving range before a round I walked over and loaded my bag on our cart, loaded all my other crap in it, then took a drink of what I thought was my buddies pop. This guy walks over from the range and asks me what the fark I am doing. Huh?? I then realize our cart was right behind this one.

I apologized profusely, and offered to buy him a new pop. It was apparent that I clearly thought the whole thing was funnier than he did.

I would totally go Lysol my mouth after this. Haha it was funny!

“I’m a full time golfer. Going to qualify for the European Tour next year, then hopefully the PGA Tour next year”.

The guy who said this is off 9, and has been for the past few years. He is a textbook narcissist though.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

“I’m a full time golfer. Going to qualify for the European Tour next year, then hopefully the PGA Tour next year”.

The guy who said this is off 9, and has been for the past few years. He is a textbook narcissist though.

You should have been like “that is not how it works, that is not how any of this works”

At the driving range this weekend I’m next to a guy who literally shanked every shot. I mean he “owned it” as if that was his bread and butter shot. He would aim way left and then play the shank which would fly somewhat close to the target.

The thing that really cracked me up was his buddy comes up to say hello and the dude shanking the ball proceeds to tell him he now plays to a 7. Can’t make this stuff up.

To be clear, were you chipping from the green surface or from the fringe? I don't think I've ever seen someone chip off of an actual putting green.

To be clear, were you chipping from the green surface or from the fringe? I don't think I've ever seen someone chip off of an actual putting green.

I think he means they were off the green chipping to a specific hole

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I witnessed something quite remarkable. A guy was talking about how he just assembled his dream / driver shaft combination and he wanted his buddy to film his first swing with it and so he set up and I wasnt really paying attention when it happened but it was either on a the take away or more likely after impact on the follow through the head came off and smashed into the phone that his buddy was using to film the shot. They both swore out loud for different reasons but it was impossible not to laugh while I continued to just plug away on the range.

A guy who was dressed in matching, bright Puma gear walked behind me on the range before an outing. He watched me hit about (4) 4 iron shots which were all well struck. He started touching my bag and looking closer at my irons and said, "You have a nice swing. Why would you play these old, rusty clubs? You should really go to Dick's. They'll fit you for a new set on a launch monitor." and walked away.

When I left the range, I saw him top 2 balls with his driver.

ROTFLMAO!! I spit coffee and tobacco juice all over my screen and keyboard when I read this---- Great One!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

This past Friday, we're standing on the 14th teebox at Torrey South and I'm doing my thing about to hit. The teebox for 11 (long par 3) is nearby, some dudes waiting for the green to clear are chatting loudly. One guy declares "And that's why I'm taking lessons, I know I'm stronger than any tour player!" I stop my routine, look at my playing partners, and throw them the Peoples' Eyebrow. We bust up quietly and it's another minute before I can hit, i was laughing so hard I tugged my tee shot into the bunker.

One of the best things I've ever heard anyone say unironically on a golf course, except for the random that told me he trains with navy seals to prepare for the corporate world.

buddy wanted to hang out at the range one night and practice. New to golf, he's getting on with his swing progression, and suddenly wanted to compare yardages between us with 7 irons. About 5 swings in, he's carrying every shot a good 15-20 yards past me. We're pretty good friends so he i didn't mind him getting on with a little bragging, and he was so stoked about his new (used) m2 irons.

I let him enjoy it. I didn't have the heart to tell him his 7 iron loft is closer to my 5 iron.

buddy wanted to hang out at the range one night and practice. New to golf, he's getting on with his swing progression, and suddenly wanted to compare yardages between us with 7 irons. About 5 swings in, he's carrying every shot a good 15-20 yards past me. We're pretty good friends so he i didn't mind him getting on with a little bragging, and he was so stoked about his new (used) m2 irons.

I let him enjoy it. I didn't have the heart to tell him his 7 iron loft is closer to my 5 iron.

Yeah you run into that. A few years ago and when I tell this you will know it was a few years back. One of my buds could not figure for the life of him why I could outdrive him 20 yards or more off the tee but he hit less iron than I did on the par 3s. He was hitting NEW R-7s (told you it was a while back :taunt: ) and could not figure out for the life of him when he was hitting a 7 iron on a par 3 I was hitting a 5 iron. Of course I was hitting 1980 Macgregor VIP blades

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Yeah you run into that. A few years ago and when I tell this you will know it was a few years back. One of my buds could not figure for the life of him why I could outdrive him 20 yards or more off the tee but he hit less iron than I did on the par 3s. He was hitting NEW R-7s (told you it was a while back :taunt: ) and could not figure out for the life of him when he was hitting a 7 iron on a par 3 I was hitting a 5 iron. Of course I was hitting 1980 Macgregor VIP blades

Had this in Saturday's medal. One of the balloted group was a 29.1 HCP. Never had a lesson, thinks he's good enough and there's a golfer "in there" because one in 14 drives goes 250 yards. Brand spanking Rogue X irons. Over £1000 full set. But no lesson.

Still thinks there's a golfer "in there" because he happened to airmail a green with one of the gap wedges from 120 yards. Why? Because it's the same loft as my 9 iron and hitting less club means he's "better" obvs.

Really didn't have the energy to explain that going long and having to take an unplayable or the lofts being super strong isn't translating into "better" so I humoured him as he carded a "golfer in there" 117.

In a day and age where so much information and education is available, some people are literally none the wiser. It's cute.

Had this in Saturday's medal. One of the balloted group was a 29.1 HCP. Never had a lesson, thinks he's good enough and there's a golfer "in there" because one in 14 drives goes 250 yards. Brand spanking Rogue X irons. Over £1000 full set. But no lesson.

Still thinks there's a golfer "in there" because he happened to airmail a green with one of the gap wedges from 120 yards. Why? Because it's the same loft as my 9 iron and hitting less club means he's "better" obvs.

Really didn't have the energy to explain that going long and having to take an unplayable or the lofts being super strong isn't translating into "better" so I humoured him as he carded a "golfer in there" 117.

In a day and age where so much information and education is available, some people are literally none the wiser. It's cute.

So what should he do? Quit or take lessons?

He prob was nervous playing in a comp too .

Not to say dealing with a over confident dude who really is bad would be any fun. But the guy is getting out , investing in clubs and playing in comps. That is good for the sport.

But if they are a jerk then it is not good for the sport...

Ramble over haha.