Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

On 9/8/2021 at 10:13 AM, Drudersh said:

Not that outrageous. Even as a scratch golfer I'm super envious of the guys that can flight an 80 yard wedge shot low and have it bounce once and stop. For the life of me I can't hit that shot. 

Same...go watch a tour event, always amazing how "low" those guy hit wedges. 

Hogan use to say that, hit the long irons high and the short irons low. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2013 at 3:11 AM, Guardian5 said:

... it's difficult to answer what my handicap is, I kinda have three - this is what I hear as I placed my bag on the stand in my hitting area - now back to the golfers gold... my course handicap is a sixteen, I'm about a seven on the range, and my pro tells me that my practice swing is a two!!!

Hilarious. Oh my, this stuff is fantastic for movie script fodder for another Caddy Shack!

So, there are a couple of regulars who hit balls at the driving range of a course I normally play. One guy is just a meat head. Maybe mid 50s guy. Probably shoots in the 90s to low 100s.

I was hanging out with a friend and beating balls next to meat head. We end up striking up a conversation as I was helping my buddy with some struggles. We start talking about the reasons why a ball curves. I am explaining that the club face determines start line and your path in relation to the face the determines curve and the amount of it. Meat head starts arguing (not really arguing,  but disagreeing). I grill him about how pull hooks happen. He swears that the path still has to go right to make it curve left, period. I tell him a pull hook and a pull slice only differ in the face angle related to path. He still argues. 

I finally get sick of it and tell him that I will hit this 7 iron way left of target and curve it way more left. And, for him to stand behind me so he can see my club path. So, I come way over the top and hit one that starts 30 yards left and curves probably 40 more, out onto the 1st hole fairway.  I turn around and look at him and ask what my path was. He didn't say a word and we all went back to hitting balls. 

We have stayed friendly and he seems like a decent guy, if not the sharpest dude in the world.

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

On 9/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, Flat_Bombs said:

Heard a pro giving a lesson at the range say "I'm not too worried about your shots going left into the trees because at least you're flushing it"

ive said similar

Im sure he is just implying that he's got ball flight to play with. Harder to know where to start with someone who is just squiffling it along the floor 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 11:17 AM, Flat_Bombs said:

Heard a pro giving a lesson at the range say "I'm not too worried about your shots going left into the trees because at least you're flushing it"

Agree with "miles". Don't think it ridiculous at all.

I'm relatively sure the pro's point was the guy was finding the sweet spot of the face.

It seems to me re-pointing the face (via grip or path ?) would be easier to fix than someone hitting the ball all over the face of the club. Dunno1.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Different type of ridiculous. ~10 year old kid struggling it up while dad watches like a hawk with crossed arms. Kid: "dad I'm really sorry but can you please take a video of my swing for me?" Cringe... I wanted to tell the dad to go home and let the kid enjoy his range session. The fear in the kid's voice told me everything - classic case of dad pushing kid so hard that the kid will likely burn out early, resent his parents, won't enjoy playing golf along the way. Saw it happen with so many promising junior golfers who never wanted to touch a club again after college.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, nsxguy said:

I'm relatively sure the pro's point was the guy was finding the sweet spot of the face.

It seems to me re-pointing the face (via grip or path ?) would be easier to fix than someone hitting the ball all over the face of the club. Dunno1.gif

Yup - If the player was really finding the sweet spot regularly and with speed, he's way ahead of the game. I think this is the most important "skill" to have, and the rest can be refined around that. Some folks, unfortunately, will spend years trying and never get it. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, nsxguy said:

It's taken me over 4 years to fix a similar problem (and I'm still not done yet), a problem which I was facing when this event took place

I get what you're saying, but at the time I was battling a 2 way miss even though the ball was hit out of the middle and it was pretty much unplayable, so it's a huge problem

I'd rather be mishitting it but it stays in play than strike it well but miles off line

Edited by Flat_Bombs

22 minutes ago, Flat_Bombs said:

It's taken me over 4 years to fix a similar problem (and I'm still not done yet), a problem which I was facing when this event took place

I get what you're saying, but at the time I was battling a 2 way miss even though the ball was hit out of the middle and it was pretty much unplayable, so it's a huge problem

I'd rather be mishitting it but it stays in play than strike it well but miles off line

Gotcha. But that's different.

The thread was about the most ridiculous things heard on the driving range.

What you are experiencing,,,,,,,,, and trying to fix,,,,,,,,, IS a problem. But you are expressing a preference.

I'd think anyone trying to make a score would rather mishit a ball and be in play that flush it all over the place,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_cool:

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Every single week I hear ridiculous instruction from people. Usually parents teaching their kids or friends of the people they are teaching. Some may even be teaching pros. 

Today, a guy was teaching a high school girl chipping and teaching her all the wrong things to the extremes. He had her putting the ball way back behind her feet and hands extremely forward (extreme shaft lean). Her AOA was coming down so steeply was hitting ground balls and just knifing the wedge into the ground. Then he kept telling her she had to sweep the ground which was not possible given her ball position and how forward her hands were. Hard to listen and watch it. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:13 AM, Drudersh said:

Not that outrageous. Even as a scratch golfer I'm super envious of the guys that can flight an 80 yard wedge shot low and have it bounce once and stop. For the life of me I can't hit that shot. 

I think a lot of guys on the pro tours don't have that shot. Also, the even shorter low 40, 50, 60 yard shots with tons of spin to just bounce and stop. I'd like to see a few pros really break down that shot. 

On 9/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, pb_n_joe said:

Different type of ridiculous. ~10 year old kid struggling it up while dad watches like a hawk with crossed arms. Kid: "dad I'm really sorry but can you please take a video of my swing for me?" Cringe... I wanted to tell the dad to go home and let the kid enjoy his range session. The fear in the kid's voice told me everything - classic case of dad pushing kid so hard that the kid will likely burn out early, resent his parents, won't enjoy playing golf along the way. Saw it happen with so many promising junior golfers who never wanted to touch a club again after college.

Oh yeah, Saw this a bunch of times myself over the years. If the kids not the next: Tiger/Phil/DJ/Rory/etc, then he's a failure pretty much. I dislike pushy parents.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

I think a lot of guys on the pro tours don't have that shot. Also, the even shorter low 40, 50, 60 yard shots with tons of spin to just bounce and stop. I'd like to see a few pros really break down that shot. 

Mesmerizing to watch elite players hit those low spinners. The common thread I've heard in interviews with tour pros (along with god-given talent and lifetimes of practice) is "fresh grooves." Apparently DJ replaces his lob wedge every week in-season. 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, pb_n_joe said:

Such a shame. We need a new generation of players to get into the game and many are being put off by overbearing parents. Smdh. 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, pb_n_joe said:

I see similar coaching youth football.

Parents yelling conflicting instructions to the kid compared to what they're coached. Calling out their own kids or even worse other kids not there own for mistakes and lack of ability. Like I'd prefer they complain about me and my assistants more, at least we're adults and know how to let it roll of our backs. Kids haven't leaned that yet.

Don't get me wrong I don't coddle them, but there's a time and place for correcting mistakes, and it's not undressing them in front of 50 plus people mid game.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2021 at 9:59 PM, tacklingdummy said:

Every single week I hear ridiculous instruction from people. Usually parents teaching their kids or friends of the people they are teaching. Some may even be teaching pros. 

Today, a guy was teaching a high school girl chipping and teaching her all the wrong things to the extremes. He had her putting the ball way back behind her feet and hands extremely forward (extreme shaft lean). Her AOA was coming down so steeply was hitting ground balls and just knifing the wedge into the ground. Then he kept telling her she had to sweep the ground which was not possible given her ball position and how forward her hands were. Hard to listen and watch it. 😜

That is how my daughter tried to chip after the JV coach told her to do it that way. She goes dad i cant chip, i said show me how you are setting up, she shows me and i go woah. I had her move it to the middle and brush the ball off the ground boom she can chip. I take a hands off approach, that is why she has a teacher i am not one. I can help with little things but always refer to asking her teacher. 

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Like Warrior, I have seen too many parents trying to relive their life thru the kids instead

of enjoying their life with the youngster. Time will go by very quickly and the biggest thing

that stays with a lot of kids is all the yelling, the degrading comments, and the disapproval 

being displayed in front of the kids friends.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

• 1 month later...

Drive for show, Put for Dough

Still getting used to these clubs and then my handicap will drop!

Augusta is a draw course and those are the guys who win there.....

I'm a 1.2 handicap and it it my putting from keeping me on tour. 

I'm a 4 handicap and I play blades.

Edited by MUNIGRIT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL, OH man this thread brings back memories.... last post was back in 2014... 7 years ago.  I was not married yet and no kids..... range rat and played twice a week, those days are no more.

I have a questions to those, as I have been reading the recent post.. ... Guys that cant break 90 giving advice to their kids.

at one point I was a single digit (but that still does not make me a qualified teacher), I just suck horribly now,  I have a Mevo+ and hardly go to the range since I can practice at home, but once in a great while I take my kids to the range and Par 3 as a family day,  and I am that dad giving them lessons....  

Have I become "that guy" LOL....... oh how times have changed.

One more..... I play(ed) a LOT of golf and when I have friends and family over they spot the indoor simulator so that makes me a good golfer.........(bear with me).....the "Can you teach me?" "can you take me to the range?" etc etc comments come out.  The obligation because of friends/families ensues.. 

Does that make me one of those guys that is not a good golfer and no where near an instructor, but just clueless golfers going to the range together?.....

Times have changed....... they really have... HAHA

• Haha 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 12/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, Metro-PA said:

Two guys set up next to me at the range.... first club out of the bag, driver.  Rubber tee height at least 2 inches.  After making a couple awkward practice swings, (guy 1) unloads with his first swing.... catching bottom half of the ball.  This range doesn't have yardage signs .... just colored poles.  His ball, when finally returning to earth, lands roughly 150 yds.  He turns to his buddy and says.... "wow... first swing, piped it 250!"  

Needless to say I was glued to his commentary for the rest of the session. 

Probably already related this one but similarly - was at my old range in LA one night and there was a dude behind me with, I assume, his brother or something and a buncha other people not even remotely interested in hitting golf balls with him. And he's just swinging balls out with his driver and missing all over the place. FINALLY makes decent contact and gets a, ya know, not bad ball flight. 

I hear him say something like "Yeah dude, that was like 320."

The range in question had a net at about 240 yards or so. He didn't even get close to it 😂

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

On 12/2/2021 at 4:50 PM, MUNIGRIT said:

Augusta is a draw course and those are the guys who win there.....

To be fair Jack Nicklaus says the exact same thing in his book. Couple months leading up to The Masters he would totally rework his swing to hit a draw for just that tournament

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

• 2 weeks later...