2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

Swing update

The info from Dan in my early right arm fold thread has really helped me understand how to make a centered upper body turn in the backswing. Will take some work and still need to exaggerate the feel of the extension in my back but nice to see some immediate progress on camera. Still need to maintain the left side bend better in transition but a better backswing should help this.

44318195341_0a69361130_b.jpg

44318195321_e7b3d3b920_b.jpg

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXrpkM-lRh8[/media]

Had a good long range session and played 9 holes afterwards and was actually taking a divot with most of my clubs, something I normally rarely do due to being so shallow from left shoulder going up so much

I've got a 36 hole scratch event at an Open qualifying venue this sunday so very much looking forward to it.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Equipment update

The '18 x forged are nice but not been overly anamoured with them and haven't really seen any change from my old irons. The whole issue with the mizunos and I'm just not convinced by the fittings I had, similar to when I had a driver fitting there. So I went to the same Taylormade fitting centre where I got my driver fitted.

Long story short I got fitted into Project x 6.0 shafts (no surprise there), and into the P770 heads. I was very surprised by the P770, I was fully expecting them to be quite chunky and ugly at address, but they are actually smaller and more blade looking than the x forged, which is a huge plus. Performance wise on the flightscope they were coming up a few yards longer than the x forged with a more penetrating flight, which is good as I do hit it very high.

Not wanting to outlay more money on another new set of irons I fortunately managed to pick up a set on ebay for a good price. Did a fair bit of testing between the 2 sets and have decided to put the P770s in the bag.

From my small amount of testing they did seem a little longer, definitely a touch lower, but the biggest plus point for me was how easy it was to flight down the short irons. the x forged with pxi never really seemed to fly that low unless I made ridiculous adjustments. Sunday will be a good test on how they do but hopefully I've found my new irons.

The hi-toe wedge was outstanding out of the sand when I played 9 holes the other day so that is going straight in the bag.

So my bag is now nearly full Taylormade. The Callaway 4 UT will stay in the bag over the P770 4 iron for now, just has a bit of extra forgiveness and launches a bit higher than the P770, which almost launches too low for my liking.

Will probably try and pick up a P790 4 iron to replace it as 1 Callaway club in an all Taylormade bag (putter obviously excluded) really bugs me lol

Next thing I may try is a new ball, been playing the chromesoft for a couple of years but interested to try the new titleist, vice and taylormade balls.

43415748045_30fe3021dc_k.jpg

Played a practice round yesterday at the course I've got a 36 hole event at tomorrow, the P770s performed very well and I'm really liking the feel and flight. A slightly firmer feel, definitely a slightly lower flight and a few extra yards, so all in all encouraging signs. Will see how they go under the pump in competition but certainly feel very good about them.

Obviously also early stages of making backswing changes but again encouraging signs, especially as I've not got a much better angle of attack, actually taking divots with mid irons which is unheard of for me

36 hole competition yesterday review

Yesterday I had a 36 hole scratch tournament at an Open qualifying venue, I scored terribly but learnt a lot about how I can improve going forward.

I only really made 2 swings all day that really cost me, I largely hit the ball very well, especially irons. First round I had 5 3 putts and a 4 putt (7 dropped shots) and shot +7. The greens are extremely sloping and had a lot of very tough pins, however I still putted dreadful on the front 9. Putting left hand low my distance control was horrific, stroke felt awful and just had no feel. I switched to conventional grip and putted better on the back 9 and only had one 3 putt and made some birdies. Again putted well with conventional grip in the 2nd round.

2nd round I made a couple of silly bogeys early on to be 3 over through 5, then birdied 6 and 7 to get back to +1, then hooked a 4 iron ob and made a triple on the 9th, all the hard work undone, especially as 2 of the next 3 holes were par 5s. Once I didn't birdie any of them I lost interest really as was over handicap and out of the tournament.

I dropped many careless shots from bad course management, not thinking about where the miss is and just aimlessly firing at flags, for instance 1st hole 2nd round I fired a wedge at the back right flag and was probably 10ft away but long and right and that was dead, made bogey, terrible start to the round. Things like this are relatively easy to solve in the grand scheme of things. When you are playing lots of compeitions it becames 2nd nature so I need to be consciously aware to make better decisions on the course.

I made a couple of very good swings but due to bad alignment (aiming way right) ended up in bad spots, again something relatively simple to fix and is probably just a bad habit I've got into from not playing much.

There were postives to take, as I said I generally hit the ball very well, still need lots of work on my backswing pivot but I'm definitely compressing the ball a bit better and taking divots, an improvement from being very shallow and just brushing the ground. Irons are definitely going a bit further and on a more piercing trajectory so they are staying in the bag. As such I found that my shots were much less affected distance wise into the wind than I have been used to. Which is a huge plus. Pitching was also pretty good. So not all doom and gloom.

I hadn't played an individual competition with a card in my hand since the start of July, and it showed. I haven't worked on my putting or stroke since then either I don't think. With the little man's arrival obviously my tournaments are going to be few and far between for quite a while but I believe there are 3 main steps I can take to help going forward.

1. I'm going to fix my visio putting mat to a board and use it at least once a week to work on my stroke.

2. should hopefully install my putting green and net in the garden in the next month or so, which will hopefully give me more time to practice even if its only 10 mins a day a couple of times a week.

3. Need to consciously think about pre shot routine more on every shot, mainly the decision part. Think more about the target, where I need to leave it and what shot to hit etc.

Hopefully these things will help me play better even when I'm not going to be playing a lot. I haven't generally got to play a lot as it is the last year or 2 but generally play quite well when I did, now it's going to be even less I really need to focus on my course management when I do get a card in my hand.

Tried to be as honest as I can with what happened as I think although yesterday was very disappointing (I really feel I could've actually shot a couple of decent scores), it actually could be very beneficial to me for the future in realising how to manage my game going forward.

PS. the callaway 4 iron is definitely going after that hook OB on 9 :lol:

Good write up Dave. I’m about a year ahead of you in the family stakes.

You gotta practise the putting twice a week minimum. This will pay divindeds when you get out. 10mins lag putting and a few shorty confidence builders and you will be set

If you can hit balls 1 or twice a week it will be magic. Because you won’t have much time for lots of warm up or long hitting sessions I’d stick with wedges and 7iron. I think these swings work through the bag well and there ain’t no point trying to make your 3rd ball of the day a flushed 3iron.

Driver is hard in the net; better than nothing though but can be noisy depending on your neighbour situation.

Depending on your setup a mevo might be a good option for rough distances you can work with feedback on.

Brain farts are going to happen, with less course time and even less comp time it is hard to avoid ththe rustiness.

If my game is on just now everything is good, if it’s off I can’t scramble or grind for s***

Key is to not set expectations and enjoy every shot for what it is!

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Good write up Dave. I’m about a year ahead of you in the family stakes.

You gotta practise the putting twice a week minimum. This will pay divindeds when you get out. 10mins lag putting and a few shorty confidence builders and you will be set

If you can hit balls 1 or twice a week it will be magic. Because you won’t have much time for lots of warm up or long hitting sessions I’d stick with wedges and 7iron. I think these swings work through the bag well and there ain’t no point trying to make your 3rd ball of the day a flushed 3iron.

Driver is hard in the net; better than nothing though but can be noisy depending on your neighbour situation.

Depending on your setup a mevo might be a good option for rough distances you can work with feedback on.

Brain farts are going to happen, with less course time and even less comp time it is hard to avoid ththe rustiness.

If my game is on just now everything is good, if it’s off I can’t scramble or grind for s***

Key is to not set expectations and enjoy every shot for what it is!

I know from before when I had a net in my garage my swing seemed to improve a lot from doing lots of 3/4 and half shots so as long as I can do those with a short iron and can keep a feel for hitting the ball I think I will be fine. Won't need to hit driver in the net. Will have a look at the mevo but I don't think I'll need one, not for now anyway, more just need something to keep in the swing of things as it were.

Putting practice is a definite must, and more than anything, consistency of putting practice. Keep working on the same things rather than being a bandaid putter which I am now.

Won my semi final scratch knockout last night, played very solid, only missed a couple of greens but got up and down, was -1 on the 15th when I won.

P770s again performed great, first time I've had them in the bag for a competitive round at my club and I was very impressed. Ball flight is definitely more penetrating and less affected by the wind than the x forged. Hitting 3/4 knockdown shots is also a lot easier, they come out lower and much straighter. I always use to suffer from the odd big draw when taking something off a 9 or PW.

4i is definitely going, probably down to the shaft but it's def going.

2. should hopefully install my putting green and net...

what are you using for a putting green in the garden?

I picked up a fairly cheap artificial mat off ebay, not sure how it will last long term but we will see. Not after anything amazingly realistic, given my budget, it's more just so I have something so I can hit some putts on to keep things going

its one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PGA-TOUR-Golf-Putting-Green-Mat-Indoor-Outdoor-Practice-Training-Aid-Extra-Large-/273314342424?hash=item3fa2cde618

Putting update

So I've mounted my visio putting mat on a stiff board and glued tees where the holes are for the path and start line gate.

From my own perspective and analysis of my putting this year I know that:

- my predominant miss is a pull

- I have a tendency to set up too far away from the ball (especially as the round goes on) and when that happens I get a lot of arc in my stroke and as such strike direction and speed suffer

- I have distance control issues from over acceleration (forward stroke longer than back stroke).

- my putting is poor in comparison to the rest of my game, especially my ball striking. Give myself many many good opportunity's.

Feedback using the visio has been extremely interesting...

Putting conventionally I average about 5/10 through the gate, often find I hit the inside tees going back and find I hit the inside tees on the forward stroke, nearly always hit the left tee on the gate.

Putting LHL, I average 6.5/10, no real pattern to backstroke and still quite often hit the inside tees on forward swing, mainly hit left gate tee but also right too.

Now, over the years I've always liked how my stroke felt when using a claw (paintbrush) grip, but never committed to it and found long putts awkward so never given it the light of day.

Until now. I was practicing on the board trying to straighten out my path when I was watching Tommy Fleetwood pour in putt after putt and I thought just for fun I'll try the claw grip on the visio and see what the results are like. 10/10 through the gate and didn't touch the path tees once.

I was in shock, I did it again, 9/10. The 1 miss being hitting the right gate tee.

The stroke feels solid, feels much more shoulder orientated and backstroke and forward stroke length are much more similar in length than either conventional or LHL for me. Through all the practice I've done I also seem to set up much more consistently to the ball, not getting too far away like I have a tendency to do.

I managed to get to a putting green for 10 minutes yesterday and although it took a while to get comfy making longer strokes my distance control was surprisingly good and one of the most obvious things was how consistent the distance control seemed to be. Is my right hand the cause of the stroke length issues and also path? It feels odd on longer putts with the claw but that's no doubt to being so use to hitting with my right hand to get the distance. Back stroke length is certainly longer with the claw, but uniform on both sides.

So I am going to give this grip a real go and see how I get on. I've got the scratch final in 2 weeks so hoping to get a good amount of practice in before then and see how it goes.

Could it just be a honeymoon period? yes it could, but I can't deny the results the visio mat are showing me, watch this space.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to snap up a P790 4 iron cheap on ebay so just need to swap the shaft over with the P770 and bend it and she will be in the bag

30930917398_d42fc54644_k.jpg

Okay, you and Schnee may be tied for biggest ho's!

haha I don't think I'm anywhere near Chris in the ho stakes, he is the grandmaster, this is only my 3rd set of irons in 5 years, he's had 3 sets since June :lol:

haha I don't think I'm anywhere near Chris in the ho stakes, he is the grandmaster, this is only my 3rd set of irons in 5 years, he's had 3 sets since June :lol:

Fake news! Been playing the same set since May!!

2 sets then, don't forget the miuras!

I just tested a Visio template last night, purchased one, and then read your thread. Joining the club! I noticed how pushy (path out) I was post impact.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

You've had your flirtations don't lie

2 sets then, don't forget the miuras!

Does 9 holes really count?

I just tested a Visio template last night, purchased one, and then read your thread. Joining the club! I noticed how pushy (path out) I was post impact.

Yeah I saw you using one on your insta story, it really is a great bit of kit for not only working start line but path as well, consistent use is really going to help. Very glad I've mounted mine on a board as don't get to a putting green that often to utilise it.

You've had your flirtations don't lie

:lol:

Does 9 holes really count?

Yes that makes it extra Ho'ey

Played the 1st round with the pencil grip on Saturday, on a course I hadn't played in years, 1st green blew the 1st putt about 8 foot past but holed that coming back with had about a foot of break.

Honestly the performance was encouraging, still feels a little unusual and will take time to trust that I will hit the putt solid and hard enough without the right hand fully on the club. I found myself rolling nearly every putt on my intended line and once I got used to the speed was consistently rolling them at a good pace.

Certainly feels like there's much less acceleration in the stroke and that backswing and through swing lengths are much similar and therefore consistency of speed will be better. Which is really the biggest improvement I need to make in my putting.

Scratch final got postponed due to weather to this Sunday, so gives me another week of getting used to it at home before the pressure of a real match.

Edit: I replaced the winn grip with a Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0 which fills the hands nicely with the pencil grip. With a thinner grip found I was really holding it very tightly with the right hand. I did contemplate fitting the grip so the flat side faced away from target so my pencil fingers ran down the flat part but actually felt like that gave the right hand too much encouragement to be active - negating the whole reasoning behind the grip.

• 2 weeks later...

Scratch final

Won the scratch knockout on sunday for the 4th year running, was a very close match, which if I'm being honest with my play on the back 9 I probably should have lost. Before the round the head of my 9 iron came off on the range, not a good start especially when I used my 9 iron quite a lot round my home track.

I was 1 over and 2 up through 8, in the 2nd cut on the par 5 9th, with him in the middle and being a long hitter I knew he could probably reach, lie was decent so thought I could hit down on it a bit and hit a cut round the tree and get it chasing, came out perfect and actually scampered onto the front edge. he proceeded to try driver off the deck and topped it. he made par and I 2 putted to go 3 up.

I putted from about 50 feet for birdie concession on 10 only for him to chip in for eagle to get back to 2 up.

11, 12 and 13 I managed to scramble halves after hitting it terribly, 2 good chips on 11 & 12 and then a lovely high hook with an 8 iron on 13 got me out of trouble.

He then missed the par 3 14th right, I then proceeded to hit it further right, quite and fat my pitch shot, another poor chip and a burned edge putt from 15 feet and I'd gifted a hole back to a bogey - unforgiveable.

15 hit a bad drive but got away with it, bad club choice, bad chip and another bogey - A/S.

16 he was down the middle, I hit a bad shot right, tried to dig an 8 iron out, head came off! ball hit a tree and ended up just down the right side in the rough still. So I'm looking realistically at a 5, can only assume the pressure got to him and he hits a pull draw which lands just long and left of the green which steeply banks off down to thick rough, lost ball. So I ended up winning the hole with a bogey out of nowhere.

17 par 5 hit an awful approach shot, and pitch, bogey - A/S going up the last. At this point my head is a bit all over the place, got no idea what my golf swing is doing and no idea where the ball is going.

18th tee, 410 par 4 slightly uphill dog leg right, wind slightly into off the left, he hits a big slice just short of some trees on the right. I was in 2 minds, generally into the wind if I hit driver I then hit a 3/4 9 iron in, of course I now don't have a 9 or an 8 iron, so I was either going to have to really get hold of one or layup to 7 iron distance. The latter I deemed to risky and proceeded to hit the best shot of the day leaving me 106 yards in straight down the middle. Best he could do from blocked out shot was advance to greenside bunker where he couldn't get up and down, so I had 2 putts from 15 feet and dropped it right in the centre.

A real get out of jail, but happy with how I mentally played the 18th and buckled down. Pressure generally brings better play out in me, in this instance it sure did. The other guy does have history for some collapsing too.

The one shining light from the day was my putting, with the pencil grip my pace was great all day long, made some extremely good lag putts (normally my weakness) and some good short ones. Definitely going to stick with the pencil for the foreseeable future, stroke feels good and is technically much better this way.

I need to work on my swing and re-visit Monte's short game technique. I was looking back through old videos and posts and came across when I think I was swinging it best, which happened to come just before I shot my first bogey free rounds and other under par rounds. I've floated around a bit and worked on lots of different things since that time. But I can clearly see this was when my swing was at its technical best, and I was hitting the ball the best.

Really happy with the progress I'm making. The 8 iron video which was a sort of 60% swing really feeling the downswing movements looks so much better technically, think I need to do lots of these. Below is a grid of screenshots of various positions. Since working with a slightly more tucked under butt there is no sign of any EE in the backswing and my backswing pivot is a lot better and more central, amazing change from such a small tweak.

IMG_20170204_074932.jpg

Driver ball flight is a tiny fade which I'm liking and is a shape I'm actually trying to hit from a normal square stance, trying to do it with more upper body rotation through the ball, Zane says this is the sort of acid test for how well I'm rotating. The flight is a tad low, which I've noticed as my swing has improved the last couple of months. I'm going to crank the loft up to 10.5 to assist. I know when I got fitted for it in 2013 I was hitting it much higher and spinnier, so it's a lower spin & launch setup. May well mean I need to get fitted for a new driver in the coming months, what a shame :D (cool)

Weather here is terrible this weekend, so a friend and I have hired the simulator at my club for a couple of hours tomorrow morning and are going to play a round at Augusta, hopefully some videos to post from it afterwards.

Scratch final

Won the scratch knockout on sunday for the 4th year running, was a very close match, which if I'm being honest with my play on the back 9 I probably should have lost. Before the round the head of my 9 iron came off on the range, not a good start especially when I used my 9 iron quite a lot round my home track.

I was 1 over and 2 up through 8, in the 2nd cut on the par 5 9th, with him in the middle and being a long hitter I knew he could probably reach, lie was decent so thought I could hit down on it a bit and hit a cut round the tree and get it chasing, came out perfect and actually scampered onto the front edge. he proceeded to try driver off the deck and topped it. he made par and I 2 putted to go 3 up.

I putted from about 50 feet for birdie concession on 10 only for him to chip in for eagle to get back to 2 up.

11, 12 and 13 I managed to scramble halves after hitting it terribly, 2 good chips on 11 & 12 and then a lovely high hook with an 8 iron on 13 got me out of trouble.

He then missed the par 3 14th right, I then proceeded to hit it further right, quite and fat my pitch shot, another poor chip and a burned edge putt from 15 feet and I'd gifted a hole back to a bogey - unforgiveable.

15 hit a bad drive but got away with it, bad club choice, bad chip and another bogey - A/S.

16 he was down the middle, I hit a bad shot right, tried to dig an 8 iron out, head came off! ball hit a tree and ended up just down the right side in the rough still. So I'm looking realistically at a 5, can only assume the pressure got to him and he hits a pull draw which lands just long and left of the green which steeply banks off down to thick rough, lost ball. So I ended up winning the hole with a bogey out of nowhere.

17 par 5 hit an awful approach shot, and pitch, bogey - A/S going up the last. At this point my head is a bit all over the place, got no idea what my golf swing is doing and no idea where the ball is going.

18th tee, 410 par 4 slightly uphill dog leg right, wind slightly into off the left, he hits a big slice just short of some trees on the right. I was in 2 minds, generally into the wind if I hit driver I then hit a 3/4 9 iron in, of course I now don't have a 9 or an 8 iron, so I was either going to have to really get hold of one or layup to 7 iron distance. The latter I deemed to risky and proceeded to hit the best shot of the day leaving me 106 yards in straight down the middle. Best he could do from blocked out shot was advance to greenside bunker where he couldn't get up and down, so I had 2 putts from 15 feet and dropped it right in the centre.

A real get out of jail, but happy with how I mentally played the 18th and buckled down. Pressure generally brings better play out in me, in this instance it sure did. The other guy does have history for some collapsing too.

The one shining light from the day was my putting, with the pencil grip my pace was great all day long, made some extremely good lag putts (normally my weakness) and some good short ones. Definitely going to stick with the pencil for the foreseeable future, stroke feels good and is technically much better this way.

I need to work on my swing and re-visit Monte's short game technique. I was looking back through old videos and posts and came across when I think I was swinging it best, which happened to come just before I shot my first bogey free rounds and other under par rounds. This was February last year after a couple of months working with Zane. I'm going to start working on the drills and movements we worked on together and hopefully try and hook back up with him in a month or so time to see where I'm at. I've floated around a bit and worked on lots of different things since that time. But I can clearly see this was when my swing was at its technical best, and I was hitting the ball the best.

Really happy with the progress I'm making. The 8 iron video which was a sort of 60% swing really feeling the downswing movements looks so much better technically, think I need to do lots of these. Below is a grid of screenshots of various positions. Since working with a slightly more tucked under butt there is no sign of any EE in the backswing and my backswing pivot is a lot better and more central, amazing change from such a small tweak.

IMG_20170204_074932.jpg

Driver ball flight is a tiny fade which I'm liking and is a shape I'm actually trying to hit from a normal square stance, trying to do it with more upper body rotation through the ball, Zane says this is the sort of acid test for how well I'm rotating. The flight is a tad low, which I've noticed as my swing has improved the last couple of months. I'm going to crank the loft up to 10.5 to assist. I know when I got fitted for it in 2013 I was hitting it much higher and spinnier, so it's a lower spin & launch setup. May well mean I need to get fitted for a new driver in the coming months, what a shame :D (cool)

Weather here is terrible this weekend, so a friend and I have hired the simulator at my club for a couple of hours tomorrow morning and are going to play a round at Augusta, hopefully some videos to post from it afterwards.

Sounds like one hell of a wild ride. Did you guys get a beer after that battle? Congrats on winning even without 14 clubs, well done!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Sounds like one hell of a wild ride. Did you guys get a beer after that battle? Congrats on winning even without 14 clubs, well done!

Extra bragging rights only needing 12 clubs :lol: , sadly no time for a beer after as had to get to my mates house to watch Europe bring home the trophy :D

good playing, what are you gonna do with the irons? I'd probably be thinking about having them all re-epoxied or something similar if 2 heads flew off and they're pretty new

Yeah I spoke to the guy who I bought them from who fitted the shafts, turns out he is a club builder and hasn't had anything like this happen in years. Not sure if maybe the glue was a bit off or some residue on the shafts or head or something. I hit more 9 irons than I do 8 irons so very odd it happened on the same day. The only thing I did notice is that the shafts don't look like they've been sanded at all to rough them up. Will definitely be doing that and re-gluing the others.

I removed the shaft from the 4 iron head the other day and it took a normal amount of heat/time to remove so not really sure what the issue was.

3D lesson

Recently one of the Pro's at my club acquired Bull 3D software, I've always wanted to get measured on 3D and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a session on it as have been struggling of late. I know I need a more centered backswing pivot and to keep my left shoulder down more in transition / more left side bend and to get arms off chest.

In my backswing my pelvis sways towards the target and slightly towards the ball, this happens and then my upper body tilts away from the target, from there its extremely hard to make a good downswing, I get too much tilt early as a reaction in the downswing.

So we used the feedback on the 3D software to rehearse and practice better backswing pelvis movement. To me it feels like my sternum and pelvis move to the right in the backswing whilst head stays central. When I get it right I really feel I load into my right leg, can feel pressure all down the leg rather than just in my foot in my old backswing.

From there I will work on downswing left shoulder/tilt, also he recommended freeing my head up slightly to aid with rotation.

also noted it's very important to continue to work on the takeaway not getting the face shut. this also has a huge impact on my short game too. getting the face too shut makes my short game very inconsistent

Will try and get some video soon but here are 2 screenshots from the lesson:

new on left, old on right

30262766657_741a7cbc74_h.jpg

old on left, new on right

30262766547_cc78a3bf74_h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This position is hideous and I'm sure affects things. It's so narrow and so much early wrist set, none of the best ball strikers are in this position, club is more parallel to the ground at this point in the swing. - when I do the opposite the hands and club feel much more infront of me at the top and clubface isn't as shut.

45443696882_9406f6548a_h.jpg

Pelvis work appears better and doesn't seem to be moving towards the target:

45443993512_c313dfaf01_h.jpg

The top 6 in the world and me at club parallel to ground and club 45* from vertical:

45515197471_dd63e83bc2_b.jpg

31642683498_cfa49288e9_b.jpg