Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1440870380' post='12230202']
[quote name='Etzwane' timestamp='1440854796' post='12229226']
My 2c: it's difficult to tell from a video, but it seems to me you have moved even more weight towards the heels at address and that you're slightly out of balance in the swing.
[/quote]
Thanks for sharing your 2c, yeah I did notice that and think I mentioned it in the post. Probably a reaction to trying to get the weight more into the right heel at the top.
[/quote]

Sorry, should have read more carefully.

[quote name='Etzwane' timestamp='1440879660' post='12230848']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1440870380' post='12230202']
[quote name='Etzwane' timestamp='1440854796' post='12229226']
My 2c: it's difficult to tell from a video, but it seems to me you have moved even more weight towards the heels at address and that you're slightly out of balance in the swing.
[/quote]
Thanks for sharing your 2c, yeah I did notice that and think I mentioned it in the post. Probably a reaction to trying to get the weight more into the right heel at the top.
[/quote]

Sorry, should have read more carefully.
[/quote]
No worries I appreciate yours and everyone's input.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Got my lesson back in less than a day!!!!! Unreal service.

Similar to my first lesson I need to get my hands working in sooner in the backswing and get left arm more across my chest. This will help with my tendencies to be able to get my arms working down sooner in the downswing.

The backswing position halfway back and at the top would be fine if my arms moved steeper in the downswing. But Dan likes how I shallow the club and doesn't want to mess with that. If I can get it loaded and deeper sooner will allow me to unload it sooner and faster coming down.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying this downswing drill video, seems to be helping with stopping my right shoulder moving out so quickly and pinning my left arm to the chest. In turn also maintaining my tush line better through the ball

http://youtu.be/X8GLAT5s-LA

• 3 weeks later...

Been struggling with my short game of late, putter had been down to addressing it slightly out the toe, as soon as I practiced the gate drill I realised this, would be a major contributor to my recent struggle with lag putting, you are never going to have good touch if you don't hit it out the middle. as soon as I addressed it out the middle (Although it looks heely to me) voila! so need to work on that.

the putter ho in me would normally have just bought a new flatstick but im committed to the putter and not changing and this is a perfect example of it not being the putter but being the idiot on the end of it :)

chipping and pitching has been inconsistent, some nice and high some a bit low and spinny, good strikes just seemingly random trajectorys and spin. after videoing I could see my hands were quite flippy and then sometimes too far ahead, the arms had no room to swing through on. when i practice and hit a lot of chips/pitches i can get some consistency eventually, but of late i have been hitting a lot of greens, for instance i had a chip on the 3rd green then not another one until 15, so when it comes to it the inconsistency shows up.

Being a rather portly fellow setting up square with everything as I do my arms with my natural hand and arm motion don't have room to swing through. I remember the seve video saying sat up a little open so you can rotate through better (old school I know), so keeping my shoulders and chest square to the ball i dropped my left foot back a few inches, this allows me to have a nice back and through motion down the line, my arms have room as my belly rotates through with them.

have been practicing this way for a week or so now and seeing a huge improvement in shot quality and consistency which is the main thing. got 2 matches this weekend so will see how it holds up under pressure. One is a county foursomes final my club is in on saturday and the other is the final of the club summer scratch ko on sunday.

The guy im playing in the scratch is off 4 and a steady player, however I am playing well at the minute and hopefully the shortgame adjustments and work will pay off.

Not sure how much the voucher credit is for winning but fingers crossed I do and it can go straight towards a new 3 wood with more loft than my 13.5 x hot pro. it was perfect when I hit the ball higher and spinnier, but now im hitting it a bit lower and more penetrating it just doesn't get high enough off the ground off the deck and goes too far off the tee really. i'll keep it for days its really windy or im playing links courses. planning on getting a 16* xr pro.

[quote name='Ted Williams' timestamp='1443619811' post='12389760']
I thought this forum was about instruction not a diary?
[/quote]
the 3 posts before the last one are all about instruction and technique?

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1443623758' post='12390114']
[/quote]
[/quote]

The guy's a troll who joined today, ignore him. I enjoy reading your thread.

Great drill. Thanks for posting it. Will have to give it a try while practicing on the range this weekend. I tend to spin open to quickly myself and having the sensation of keeping the left arm up and not turning left I think should help with that.

TaylorMade R11 9* Driver
TaylorMade R11S 3-Wood 15*
TaylorMade 18* Hybrid
Titleist 21* Hybrid
Bridgestone J40CB 5-PW
TaylorMade 52* Wedge
TaylorMade 58* Wedge
TaylorMade Rossa Fortana Putter

[quote name='that0neguy' timestamp='1443624532' post='12390188']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
thank you, glad people enjoy reading it! I enjoy reading qmany's, schnee's and other similar type threads of peoples' progression and journeys. I find it interesting to see how people improve, practice and approach the game. Hopefully others enjoy the thread unlike said troll ^^^.

if anyone has any comments or questions never hesitate to fire away?

[quote name='bobbyjones2k5' timestamp='1443629172' post='12390646']
Great drill. Thanks for posting it. Will have to give it a try while practicing on the range this weekend. I tend to spin open to quickly myself and having the sensation of keeping the left arm up and not turning left I think should help with that.
[/quote]
Glad you found it useful, it has certainly helped not spin out as the first move so much. one thing I would say that I found, whether this is just me or not, was that after a while of doing the drill I wasn't turning back deeply when doing the drill. probably a lack of focus as I wasn't doing the drill exactly, make sure you make a proper backswing turn. I found it better to do my normal backswing with both hands on the club, then put the left arm out and swing down with the right arm.

when I keep the left arm out and swing down I can really feel my hips and footwork working correctly and shifting, and feels like I have a lot of space for my arms.

I wish Dan liked the way I shallowed the club ...

:censored2:

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1443629298' post='12390658']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
thank you, glad people enjoy reading it! I enjoy reading qmany's, schnee's and other similar type threads of peoples' progression and journeys. I find it interesting to see how people improve, practice and approach the game. Hopefully others enjoy the thread unlike said troll ^^^.

[/quote]

I also follow your thread, very inspirational and I already learned a few things. Keep posting, even if it there is no immediate feedback, there are lots of people who appreciate you taking time to write down your thoughts and progress.

[quote name='QB74' timestamp='1443637104' post='12391396']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1443629298' post='12390658']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I also follow your thread, very inspirational and I already learned a few things. Keep posting, even if it there is no immediate feedback, there are lots of people who appreciate you taking time to write down your thoughts and progress.
[/quote]
Thank you, glad you enjoy it and have learnt a few bits. Glad my experiences can help others too. Can be a lonely game golf so always good when we can talk and help each other.

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1443646178' post='12392184']
Thank you, glad you enjoy it and have learnt a few bits. Glad my experiences can help others too. Can be a lonely game golf so always good when we can talk and help each other.
[/quote]

Not only is it lonely, but if you're anything like me, it is one of those interests (or passions) that seem to take control of your mind and has you always thinking about something, whether it's the swing or a particular club. It's nice to be able to think out loud on the forums sometimes, for better or worse.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1443835274' post='12403320']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1443646178' post='12392184']
[/quote]

Not only is it lonely, but if you're anything like me, it is one of those interests (or passions) that seem to take control of your mind and has you always thinking about something, whether it's the swing or a particular club. It's nice to be able to think out loud on the forums sometimes, for better or worse.
[/quote]
great post, completely agree

The weekend just gone was a great weekend of golf. Saturday we (my club) won the county foursomes cup final, 5 matches, we won the first 2, lost the 3rd and hammered in the 5th, so all came down to our match, we were 3 down with 5 to play so not looking good as the 1st,2nd,5th matches had finished and we knew we were losing in front. we birdied the 14th and halved their shot hole on 15th to be 2 down 3 to play. we lipped out for birdie on 16, they had a shot so we halved. I then nearly had an ace on 17 pitching about a foot away and ending 5 foot past. 142 yards up hill lovely little punch 8 iron. 1 down 1 to play. holed a 5 footer for par to halve the match which mean we were heading down the first. 500 yard par 5 with no shot for them, I nutted a drive and partner had 202 to the flag, they got up and down for par which meant when I rolled my 25 footer stone dead we had won!

Sunday I had the summer scratch knockout final against my good buddy who is off 4, thought it was going to be a close tough match but I played great, 2 under through 9 and 4 up then eagled the par 5 10th and birdied the difficult 11th to be -5 and 6 up. he did get one hole back but just delayed the inevitable. So have done the scratch double at my club which I'm over the moon about. I haven't won the knockout before.

my putting was really good, much better since I did some setup work as I was setting up too in the heels with my eyeline too inside the ball. amazing how much of a difference little setup tweaks can make. ball striking was solid, short game was still a little iffy so that is definitely going to need some work still. but im off to mexico for 2 weeks next Monday so no practice for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived back from my holiday to an early Christmas present to myself :D

image21.jpg

A Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 in 16 degree. Can't wait to give this a hit after work. Been looking for a while for a higher lofted 3 wood than my 13.5 x hot pro and upon reading various reviews picked one of these up cheap off ebay. initial setting will be 16 degree with the heavier weight forward, really like how small the head and shallow the face is.

Will hopefully get some swing videos up too, going to really focus on setup, getting my weight more on the balls of my feet rather than heels as I have been. same goes for short game setup too as this is a common issue for me.

Managed to get to the range twice this week which makes a change. Now the clocks have gone back here in the UK I hardly ever get to practice midweek.

Swing feels good at the minute. Just using a sort of zipper away feel to help create room for the arms. Hitting it really nice and seemingly had control of the ball being able to shape it both ways. Got a match in the morning so looking forward to that, hopefully the control will last for another day! 3 wood feels lovely. Still unsure about the shaft but I've got a prolaunch red like my driver to stick in it which will hopefully be the perfect match.

http://youtu.be/UBfxzmHeG6Y

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1446244190' post='12530624']
Managed to get to the range twice this week which makes a change. Now the clocks have gone back here in the UK I hardly ever get to practice midweek.

Swing feels good at the minute. Just using a sort of zipper away feel to help create room for the arms. Hitting it really nice and seemingly had control of the ball being able to shape it both ways. Got a match in the morning so looking forward to that, hopefully the control will last for another day! 3 wood feels lovely. Still unsure about the shaft but I've got a prolaunch red like my driver to stick in it which will hopefully be the perfect match.

http://youtu.be/UBfxzmHeG6Y
[/quote]

Hey Dave video is private

Thanks for pointing that out Chris. Should be sorted now

Looks great Dave; I always enjoy seeing simple, effective swings. Sounds pure too. All the best in the match tomorrow.

Toulon Palm Beach

We sadly lost the match. It was 4bbb, I was giving 10 and 11 strokes to the opposition and they were 3 over gross, sadly we didn't play well enough to be -7 to tie! Lost 4 and 3. Not a whole lot we could do about it tbh.

My short game was much better today which was a real positive. Used the bounce nicely, more of a Monte and linear approach release of the right hand through the shot. It was much much better.

3 wood also seemed good, certainly gets up in the air better.

Still can't stand how much my hands work out and left arm gets stuck to my chest on the downswing. Anyone got any ideas or tips on how to fix this? Been struggling with a few feels and nothing seems to be working

Maybe need some of this?

http://youtu.be/q3-UJoWULls

Sorry to hear about the match, but glad to hear that there were positives to take away from the experience. I have no input on the left arm/chest issue, because I struggle with that myself, and am still working to implement other changes. Out of curiosity, what sort of misses or struggles do you get on an off day?

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1446470206' post='12539818']
Sorry to hear about the match, but glad to hear that there were positives to take away from the experience. I have no input on the left arm/chest issue, because I struggle with that myself, and am still working to implement other changes. Out of curiosity, what sort of misses or struggles do you get on an off day?
[/quote]
right normally, slight push or even a push cut with really bad ones when I leave the face open.

one thing I struggle with is yardages, often trying to hit too little club to a pin, or be too exact going at a flag. rather than just taking enough club to get it there. I remember a post in another thread where Dan said he plays the yardage for the 1/3 behind the flag. something I should really try and implement into my game, rather than thinking 136, hard wedge, what are the odds of me hitting it flush and getting it there, better off with a small 9 iron. I do need to practice taking a few yards off clubs though, I have a tendency to take too much off, perhaps why I always subconsciously end up opting for a hard swing with the lower club?

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1446476763' post='12540266'] I do need to practice taking a few yards off clubs though, I have a tendency to take too much off, perhaps why I always subconsciously end up opting for a hard swing with the lower club?
[/quote]

I believe this is a natural reaction for many of us. I struggle with the same thing, if I take the longer club, I ease up too much and end up short all the same. On the flip side, I take the shorter club, try to it too hard, and bad things happen. Years ago, I heard a tip from Payne Stewart that went along the lines of "take the longer club, choke down, and make a good, aggressive swing".

Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1446477230' post='12540310']
[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1446476763' post='12540266'] I do need to practice taking a few yards off clubs though, I have a tendency to take too much off, perhaps why I always subconsciously end up opting for a hard swing with the lower club?
[/quote]

I believe this is a natural reaction for many of us. I struggle with the same thing, if I take the longer club, I ease up too much and end up short all the same. On the flip side, I take the shorter club, try to it too hard, and bad things happen. Years ago, I heard a tip from Payne Stewart that went along the lines of "take the longer club, choke down, [b]and make a good, aggressive swing[/b]".
[/quote]
that i think is the key. if I think swing smoother I generally get lazy and hit it too soft, same thing when I shorten swing. This winter 1 of few things I've got down to really work on is taking some off a shot, whether it be gripped down or shorter swing and just commit to being aggressive still. For me its guess work on the course at the minute as I only really have my full yardages with each club, need to work on that "3/4" shot.

[i][u][size=5][b]MY LIST OF 4 THINGS TO WORK ON THIS WINTER:[/b][/size][/u][/i]

[size=5][b]1. Short game - work on bounce technique, improve pitching distance control.[/b][/size]

[size=5][b]2. Putting - Stop breakdown of left wrist and adding loft, practice on new putting mirror to work on strike and starting the ball on the correct line.[/b][/size]

[size=5][b]3. Full swing - work on getting my left arm less pinned to the chest coming down and having to stall to get the right arm back in front at the last minute.[/b][/size]

[size=5][b]4. Work on "3/4" shots, find a consistent way of taking 10 yards off with each club.[/b][/size]