Random conversation thread

Yeah, Ryan Dinwiddie was the backup a few years ago when the starter got injured (Kevin Glenn). If memory serves correct, Dinwiddie ended up starting in the Grey Cup for the Bombers.

The ladies loved him because he had very piercing blue eyes. Me, I saw a guy with only moderate football IQ, and a weak arm. Apparently he's still around doing some coaching in the CFL.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Ah,
Up early, 5am, to do some stretching and light workout. Was going to have a morning beach run, but it's turned brisk, 62 degrees F, with a 20 knot north wind. Wind chill in the 50's!!!!
What to do, what to do...
Overcast as well, looks like an Edgar Allen Poe kind of day. as a side note Poe was stationed here in the Lowcountry and there is a splendid bistro on the Mt. P. side of the Cooper that bears his name, but I regress, what to do, what to do...
It is discount day at the local thrifts, but since it was raining yesterday have already punched that ticket for the week.
Have to run an errand or two for the wife, but that will kill all of about an hour, what to do, what to do...
Chores, yes, always chores to be done, but my imposed medical semi-retirement has afforded me the ability to keep them caught up.
What to do, what to do...

A shame to waste this perfectly splendid, breezy, damp, overcast day inside.

A perfect day to let my imagination wax childish and pretend the old Jenkins Links is actually The Old Course, they do have a road hole, or two...

If it's any consolation, I was out golfing last weekend in 45* with a 25 gusting to 35 north wind. Layers is the key.

You guys in the South are spoiled. Shot my last round in November last year when the temp was 26*, wind chill took it down to 18* and I could barely get my tee in the ground.

I kind of like bad weather days myself. There is something peaceful and soothing about an empty golf course.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I was curious about the general WRX consensus on Johnny Manziel. Seems like the country is about split on love him....hate him.

I love to watch him play...and love the energy he has brought to our program...but unfortunately, I had to slide him over into the Tiger category....love his game and competitiveness...but the lifestyle choices...not so much.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

The avatar gives away you're a Texas A&M fan.

Yes, they guy is super-entertaining to watch. The game this year against 'Bama was a blast to watch (where's ol_pardner when you need him; he's a 'Bama fan who frequents these forums).

However, I read the ESPN - The Magazine feature about Johnny, and really, he strikes me as the next Ryan Leaf. Entitled, and to some extent coddled and spoiled by his family, he has turned out to be the boy they raised. He's so angry against the world, and seems so flipped off by any slights (real or imagined) against him, I wonder if he could be a functioning NFL quarterback.

I mean his Dad keeps him close and wants to keep dialogue going between them to help him where he needs to. Then when Johnny and his dad are out together with Johnny's friends, him and his dad join together to punch them all in the nuts at the same time. Great guidance, Dad. This is what happens when being friends with your kids is more important than being their parent.

Really, I don't care how good a player a guy is - to me, life is about character, not about how well you scramble and throw a football. Is Johnny a good guy? No idea - all I know is what I see in the media, and we know the media never tries to present anything with any sort of spin. Should Johnny enjoy the life he's living right now? Not for me to judge, especially as I know what'd I'd be doing if I was him. Can I judge his character? No, and I wish other people would quit doing so as well.

The proof will be there for all to see when he declares for the draft (as expected) next year, and he falls into the 24/365 nature of the NFL business. It will be up to Johnny to prove to the public that he is who he wants to be, not who he is portrayed as being by the media. Tyrann Mathieu has done a good job of this

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1381337418' post='7976121']
The avatar gives away you're a Texas A&M fan.

Yes, they guy is super-entertaining to watch. The game this year against 'Bama was a blast to watch (where's ol_pardner when you need him; he's a 'Bama fan who frequents these forums).

However, I read the ESPN - The Magazine feature about Johnny, and really, he strikes me as the next Ryan Leaf. Entitled, and to some extent coddled and spoiled by his family, he has turned out to be the boy they raised. He's so angry against the world, and seems so flipped off by any slights (real or imagined) against him, I wonder if he could be a functioning NFL quarterback.

I mean his Dad keeps him close and wants to keep dialogue going between them to help him where he needs to. Then when Johnny and his dad are out together with Johnny's friends, him and his dad join together to punch them all in the nuts at the same time. Great guidance, Dad. This is what happens when being friends with your kids is more important than being their parent.

Really, I don't care how good a player a guy is - to me, life is about character, not about how well you scramble and throw a football. Is Johnny a good guy? No idea - all I know is what I see in the media, and we know the media never tries to present anything with any sort of spin. Should Johnny enjoy the life he's living right now? Not for me to judge, especially as I know what'd I'd be doing if I was him. Can I judge his character? No, and I wish other people would quit doing so as well.

The proof will be there for all to see when he declares for the draft (as expected) next year, and he falls into the 24/365 nature of the NFL business. It will be up to Johnny to prove to the public that he is who he wants to be, not who he is portrayed as being by the media. Tyrann Mathieu has done a good job of this
[/quote]
This begs the question, "is Jackass one word or two?"

We had a term back in the day for what to do to a guy displaying little johnnies antics.

First word- term for the back end of a sled saddle.

Second word-type of shot that would be acceptable in hockey, but not in golf.

Drop the second word from each above, then combine the two remaining words together.

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1380576176' post='7933707']
Ok, I'll give another shot.

Anyone a fan of The Blacklist...I just watched the first episode over the weekend. Gotta say I like it a lot. And I have a new crush..Megan Boone!! :swoon:

Wow...can you say sweetheart...I was not familar with her work before this show.
[/quote]

Did you watch "The Following"? Wife and I are hoping that the Blacklist can be a good replacement. Liking it so far.

JTB and Okesa were discussing the relative merits of Remington vs Colt on another thread, and wanted to stear that thread back to topic, so I thought I would mouth off here.

I have often wondered the same thing about the Colt being more popular than the Remington, when the Remington had a solid frame and should be easier to aim, more sturdy, etc. As JTB and Okesa discussed, one thing may have been that Colt was the Callaway/PING of the day. He was the first to make the innovation and get it right, although he was hampered in the immediate post Civil War by the Rollin-White patent, aquired by Smith and Wesson for a through-bored cylinder which retarded Colt's development of cartridge revolvers.

In the early going, I expect that one advantage of the Colt was that the open top frame was easier to clean and less likely to bind in the field. Blackpowder shooting with caps, balls, and grease is very messy, and the fired caps have a tendency to back off the nipples and bind up the works. With the open top it was easier to wipe this mess out of the way and get on with business. To me, the Colts hang in the hand a bit better. I have not fired a Remington but have handled a few. Obviously the Remington is more robust, and I expect would be more accurate due to the solid frame and better sighting plane. Bill Ruger thought so, as evidenced by his modern creation of the Ruger Old Army.

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

Colt must have also thought well of the solid frame, as evidenced by the Peacemaker/SAA.

Ahhhhh....handguns. Always a favourite topic of us Canadians.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Nothing to be sorry about. Just very odd for us Canadians - I mean, why does someone need a handgun? I mean it is designed for one thing only - shooting other people. Not like a .22 or a shotgun

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Now back to random with a slight focus on golf. When I first started in the game I was living in Honolulu and so taken by it immediately that I practiced my swing constantly. During one of the afternoon showers that are common in the islands I thought I had a revelation about the swingplane, so not waiting for the shower to pass I tested my theory inside. All went well until I became over exuberant and the clubhead collided with my aquarium.

Would like to hear some other sad tales of woe with respect to "I gotta try this and I gotta try this right now!"

8 ft ceiling, ceiling fan, backswing with a 1 iron--things that don't go together.

I was playing on a public course with parallel holes that went in opposite directions. A couple of guys were playing on the other hole, and one of them hit a bad wedge shot. He threw his club-fortunately not a full blown helicopter, but a kind of underhanded toss--and it hit his playing partner in the forehead. The partner went to his knees, and there was some blood. They got on the cart and took off, so I never knew the outcome. I was about 20 at the time, and had never been a club slinger, and after witnessing this, have not been tempted.

[size=5]Briefly back to Colt vs Remington just to add that the English Adams revolver was probably superior to both having a double-action option and being of a larger calibre,only just saw what you meant by 'random conversation' dbuck![/size]
[size=5]Scooter,there is some inherent truth in your comment about pistols but I cannot concede that it is entirely a negative issue as there are many people who participate in recreational shooting activities with handguns who never consider the possibility of their use in a life-threatening capacity.[/size]
[size=5]Gun owners or people who have an historical interest in guns are now being viewed as 'weird' because of negative reporting by the media,I can't deny that there have been tragedies where pistols have been used but the root causes of those tragedies lie in societal problems and issues like drug abuse and the breakdown of family life.[/size]
[size=5]My dad taught me to shoot and correct gun-handling and etiquette,I have shot rifle,pistol and shotguns competitively,from 10 or 11 years of age I was fascinated by flintlocks and percussion guns,which interest has extended to military history and the influence that different weapons have had over the centuries.[/size]
[size=5]For over thirty years I've studied and enjoyed Japanese swords and related history and sword arts.[/size]
[size=5]Overall I consider myself and most of those I've met through these interests well balanced.intelligent people with great propensity for study,research and investment,the only time I step into the world of potential 'nutters' is where vintage golf clubs are concerned and that is when I too become a 'raving loony' (Lord Sutch anyone?) in my search for must-have vintage lefty clubs![/size]
[size=5]btw,all these chaps you're discussing,are they Canadian cricketers?Eh?[/size]

Hey Okesa,

I do not disagree with responsible firearm ownership, and I live in a rural area in Canada where may people do have guns. However, they are virtually all of the hunting variety, and I know very few individuals who own a handgun. My understanding is that the gun laws are as equally as restrictive in the UK as they are in Canada. It's only been what, 10-15 years that the Bobbies have even been allowed to carry firearms?

I also believe you are correct is specifying that societal problems are the root cause of violence. However, with open and easy access to guns, this level of violence ratchets up, with much bigger consequences for all involved.

And no, we are discussing Canadian Rugby Footballers. Canadian football is a pretty odd game actually, much in common with the U.S Football, and many players here from the US. Some rules are the same, some are holdovers from rugby days.

But really, what do I know for rugby? As a good working class lad, football is my true love, and was fortunate to sit with the home support at Palace at Selhurst when I was in the UK a few years ago. How's the damned United doing these days?

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='Reidman' timestamp='1381334491' post='7975871']
I was curious about the general WRX consensus on Johnny Manziel. Seems like the country is about split on love him....hate him.

I love to watch him play...and love the energy he has brought to our program...but unfortunately, I had to slide him over into the Tiger category....love his game and competitiveness...but the lifestyle choices...not so much.
[/quote]
Early in the season I was with the same opinion of Scooter. I read the ESPN article and came away with the same opinion of his raising.

Then he "beat" the NCAA autograph rap, and saw him do the money sign and mocking of signing an autograph in the first game. Ok by now he was public enemy no.1 in my book. And usually when someone enters that area of my mind, they are there forever.

Then I watched his next couple games and did about as quick of 180 as I've ever done on anyone.

I think he is the most exciting football player in the game, bar none. His games are now appointment viewing.

He also seems to be minimizing rhe showboating a bit and seems to genuinely congratulate his players during the game, and shows respect to the other team afterward. I hope he continues to mature.

I have no idea if he can play on rhe next level. But for now I don't care. He makes Saturdays a whole lot of fun.

I'm a fan now.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[size=5]United?Sad story but I used to be a Man. United fan as a kid in the 60's and now loathe football (soccer) with a passion,in fact in my grumpy old age I enjoy very little in the world of sport,real sportsmanship has disappeared and now it's all about greed,drugs,money and cheating.[/size]
[size=5]I refuse to pay for satellite sports coverage,I will not contribute to Murdoch and his Sky packages and those people responsible for selling the Ryder Cup and Ashes test cricket series should be jailed.There's no doubt in my mind that there were some serious 'backhanders' passéd under the table to see negotiations ran smoothly and in Sky's favour.Iconic sports events should never be the property of a commercial company,Wimbledon,the Ashes,the Open Championship,FA Cup final,Ryder Cup,should all be in the public domain and available for viewing free of charge simply because they are part of our heritage and not a profit making exercise for a crooked Aussie.[/size]
[size=5]That said,I have little taste for watching cricket after the disappointment of seeing an English batsman caught,blatantly dismissed and refusing to walk off the pitch.He cheated,he lied and what sort of example does that set for kids who were watching?Same with the footballers who do a triple somersault with twist when a defender brushes past them in the hope that they will a)win a penalty b)have the defender sent off.[/size]
[size=5]Tiger Woods spitting and taking drops?Colin Montgomerie taking drops?Lance Armstrong?Olympians?Snooker 'fixing'?[/size]
[size=5]Depressingly repetitive.[/size]
[size=5]Respect,honesty,courtesy and a sense of personal honour are old-fashioned virtues that are almost extinct in modern sport and why do you colonials persist in calling your games 'football' when you don't kick it?Eh?[/size]

Broadcast rights are a sore topic. We have some protected events in the UK that must be shown on terrestrial (ie non-subscription) channels. Bizarrely, the Open isn't on the main list - and although the BBC has had live broadcast rights for years, the only legal requirement is to make highlights available.

However, legislation should never be required to protect the public's right to view these events. In my view, it should be EVERY governing body's primary mission to raise the profile and exposure of their sport, and to thereby grow their game. Except in the most extreme cases, I don't believe that there is ever a cash compensation for a lost audience. A governing body that actually wants to take their showpiece event away from a mass audience for a greater commercial return needs to be subject to some form of review by the grassroots that it's supposed to represent.

"you colonials" - Okesa, best chuckle I've had all day.

Even though the family was mostly from Cambridgeshire and County Antrim, I've somehow ended up a Liverpool fan, based on a family's transient voyage through said city back in the days when they were becoming colonials. And it is incredibly frustrating that the 'Pool seldom shows up on regular cable TV, and was a main incentive to get people to buy Sentanta Sports Canada (now as defunct as its originator in Eire). Or pay $10 for a PPV FA Cup tie. Seriously?

Like all sports, someone learned that someone could make money off it, and so it goes. Lads that could get into the terraces for a pittance can no longer afford a seat in the Kop. And football has become a middle-class sport, subject to all the excesses and vulgarities that is today's modern sports spectacle.

B-S, like most humans, the powers that be don't care about their sport - they care about their pockets.

At least you guys don't have Fox News in the UK.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[size=5]The mention of fox brings to mind the story I heard about the visit Prince Charles and Camilla made to Bridlington earlier this year when they dined at a local fish and chip shop,Charles was wearing a fur hat despite it being a sweltering summer day and the chippie's curiosity got the better of him and asked Charles why he was wearing it;[/size]
[size=5]"Well,when I told mummy I was visiting Bridlington she said 'Wear the fox hat'".[/size]

LOL, good that Charles still listens to mum.

I'm one of the few (if not only guys) I know who has a portrait of the Queen and Prince Philip in my office. Not that it sounds like Prince Philip was a great Dad, but by all accounts, he's a pretty good Grandfather. And Charles has turned out to be a pretty good Dad - as parents we learn from our folks, then decide how we want to raise our kids.

So how about that Andrew Luck kid. Pretty impressive showing last night - shows how much brains and good parenting can prepare a kid for anything.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)