Random conversation thread

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, because it's a pretty basic question: how were wedges done back in the day? Today you have an iron set with a PW and maybe an AW or something which seem more like an extension of the numbered irons, and then custom specialty wedges (vokey, 588 mack daddy etc.)

My dad's ping zings have a set PW and SW and could have had an L I think. my hogan radials had an E and could have had an SW. But when I was shopping for 50's clubs, all sets seemed to be 1/2/3-9 and no wedges. So to complete my 50's Spalding bag, what kind of wedges were played?

I grew up with a golf club in my hands in the UK during the mid '50s and mid 60s, Wedges were rarely seen, as you suggest 9 irons seemed to do the work quite adequately. I don't think I saw a sand wedge until the late 60s, certainly had no use for one.

Which is the easiest way to delete the photo in old post in order to be able to post for new ones?

I'd opt for the WRX membership but funding is tight right now.

Under your profile name (top-right on computer, as I don't think you can do this from a phone/tablet) click on "my settings"

From that screen, on the left hand side, click on "manage attachments"

If it were me (and I do this occasionally) I would go to the earliest posts that had images in them, and delete from there, but you can pick and choose easily

Good Luck!

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, because it's a pretty basic question: how were wedges done back in the day? Today you have an iron set with a PW and maybe an AW or something which seem more like an extension of the numbered irons, and then custom specialty wedges (vokey, 588 mack daddy etc.)

My dad's ping zings have a set PW and SW and could have had an L I think. my hogan radials had an E and could have had an SW. But when I was shopping for 50's clubs, all sets seemed to be 1/2/3-9 and no wedges. So to complete my 50's Spalding bag, what kind of wedges were played?

A lot of sets depending on the brand wedges were special order. Hogan had a lot of different wedges and grinds so did Macgregor. Also a lot of the old timers like my old man played a wedge until it wore out through several sets. My old man played the same 62 FC-4000 through at least 4 different sets I know of and none of the latter sets were Macgregor. On your 50s Spalding wedges off the top of my head I remember quite a few different ones. There was the famous Dynamiter and among the Spalding guys the 53 and 54 Top Flite wedges were considered the Holy Grail. There was also a Jerry Barber Spalding wedge that a lot of guys liked. LOL for me it was a 66 Spalding Elite 333 custom 10 iron. I played that thing through I know of through 3 sets of clubs and 2 of them were Spalding and I wore it darn near slick on the face. As far as Sand Wedges I had a old R-90 Wilson that I wore slap out too. Never could find another R-90 that hit like that one did. But unless you are trying to be period correct or brand correct any wedge of that era will do IMHO. All the better players pro or hustlers that I was around had mismatched wedges. Man right now in my front line bag I am experimenting with my wedges are mismatched as crap. I am playing graphite shafted KZG irons 3 thru 9 and then a Cleveland 588 Special 45 bent to 47* my gap wedge is a raw Callaway X 52* and my SW is a Callaway 56* PM with a modified sole grind. Vintage as a norm for me can be anything Hogan irons and Mac wedges or sometimes Mac irons and Hogan wedges

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I can't stabd agenda driven conversation and trying to fit a narrative in you comments that show you are a hypocrite

What just happened!?!? Is this in the right thread and who on Earth is it directed at??

Baloo I was wondering the same thing myself as in WTF????

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I'll take Train Songs for $800 Alex!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

A lot of sets depending on the brand wedges were special order. Hogan had a lot of different wedges and grinds so did Macgregor. Also a lot of the old timers like my old man played a wedge until it wore out through several sets. My old man played the same 62 FC-4000 through at least 4 different sets I know of and none of the latter sets were Macgregor. On your 50s Spalding wedges off the top of my head I remember quite a few different ones. There was the famous Dynamiter and among the Spalding guys the 53 and 54 Top Flite wedges were considered the Holy Grail. There was also a Jerry Barber Spalding wedge that a lot of guys liked. LOL for me it was a 66 Spalding Elite 333 custom 10 iron. I played that thing through I know of through 3 sets of clubs and 2 of them were Spalding and I wore it darn near slick on the face. As far as Sand Wedges I had a old R-90 Wilson that I wore slap out too. Never could find another R-90 that hit like that one did. But unless you are trying to be period correct or brand correct any wedge of that era will do IMHO. All the better players pro or hustlers that I was around had mismatched wedges. Man right now in my front line bag I am experimenting with my wedges are mismatched as crap. I am playing graphite shafted KZG irons 3 thru 9 and then a Cleveland 588 Special 45 bent to 47* my gap wedge is a raw Callaway X 52* and my SW is a Callaway 56* PM with a modified sole grind. Vintage as a norm for me can be anything Hogan irons and Mac wedges or sometimes Mac irons and Hogan wedges

I have to say, the wedges in my Mac sets are generally underwhelming. There are some exceptions. I like the PW in the Muirfield 20ths, and the Muirfields have a pretty nice PW and SW. However, the SW that came with my Mac R58s (Japan only release, I think) is horrendous. Useless as a bunker club, and even worse as a pitching/chipping club. My VIP PW and SW are also awful as they have tons of offset. However, as I've said before here, I think these were an eighties remake for the Japanese market, and they are very much like Japanese wedges of the time (Honma, I'm looking at you...).

When trying to put a classic set together, I've found the SW to be the toughest to get right. Usually, I throw in a VIP 92 wedge (presumably released in 1992?) which is 54* or my RAM SW, which is 55*. I also have a Ping EYE2 Becu L-wedge which is good if I want even more loft.

I recently picked up a Mizuno 12i which I bent to 59*, and that is showing some promise. But finding a good SW particularly is difficult.

Edit: forget to mention my Wilson FG-J8 SW (FG-17 rebranded for the Japanese market). Now that is a stunningly good wedge.

I have to say, the wedges in my Mac sets are generally underwhelming. There are some exceptions. I like the PW in the Muirfield 20ths, and the Muirfields have a pretty nice PW and SW. However, the SW that came with my Mac R58s (Japan only release, I think) is horrendous. Useless as a bunker club, and even worse as a pitching/chipping club. My VIP PW and SW are also awful as they have tons of offset. However, as I've said before here, I think these were an eighties remake for the Japanese market, and they are very much like Japanese wedges of the time (Honma, I'm looking at you...).

When trying to put a classic set together, I've found the SW to be the toughest to get right. Usually, I throw in a VIP 92 wedge (presumably released in 1992?) which is 54* or my RAM SW, which is 55*. I also have a Ping EYE2 Becu L-wedge which is good if I want even more loft.

I recently picked up a Mizuno 12i which I bent to 59*, and that is showing some promise. But finding a good SW particularly is difficult.

Edit: forget to mention my Wilson FG-J8 SW (FG-17 rebranded for the Japanese market). Now that is a stunningly good wedge.

My favorite wedge of all time (which I’ve gamed forever) is the model shown. As a kid I discovered this club had a very useful trait: if I bladed it it went 110 yards, if I pured it it went 110 yards. I’m actually thinking about buying another one because the grooves are gone. I recently bought the companion sand wedge which looks promising but I haven’t tried yet.. I think they are mid-70’s but Im not sure. I’d play them with the spaldings but I want something a little more period-correct.

My favorite wedge of all time (which I've gamed forever) is the model shown. As a kid I discovered this club had a very useful trait: if I bladed it it went 110 yards, if I pured it it went 110 yards. I'm actually thinking about buying another one because the grooves are gone. I recently bought the companion sand wedge which looks promising but I haven't tried yet.. I think they are mid-70's but Im not sure. I'd play them with the spaldings but I want something a little more period-correct.

Now if only it went 110 yards when you chunk it, it would be the perfect wedge!

Which is the easiest way to delete the photo in old post in order to be able to post for new ones?

I'd opt for the WRX membership but funding is tight right now.

Under your profile name (top-right on computer, as I don't think you can do this from a phone/tablet) click on "my settings"

From that screen, on the left hand side, click on "manage attachments"

If it were me (and I do this occasionally) I would go to the earliest posts that had images in them, and delete from there, but you can pick and choose easily

Good Luck!

Much obliged !

Had deleted some and will see it that works.

Wilson JP wedges as far as vintage goes, IMO are the best. I really like early 70's late 60's Walter Hagen irons I have three sets, 2 haig ultras, one coke bottle contour sole, one very much like 72 wilsons, and the wedges are terrible, literally awful. Do not know what the thought was when these were designed, but they are unplayable as anything except a half swing or a pitch. The Wilson JP wedges from the late 70's through the early 80's are great from the sand, or from the fairway. I am also a fan of the Hogan Special wedges, I have a BeCu 54, and it is amazing.

Pleasant day in East Yorkshire,not as cold but much of the course still frozen,a doddle round to remind my legs what they are for apart from pedalling.

Tried a view from the train window which could be almost anywhere in Europe(!).

Driffield castle aka the Blockhouse.Lots of these across the area especially just behind the beaches which were a prime target for invasion landings.They would have offered little resistance in the event of attack and would have been death traps for those manning them but might have boosted morale.

If you go down to the woods today........you'll find a building that looks as though it may have been a barrack block for the pillbox.

View from 9th winter tee,par 5,dogleg left where the big tree overhangs the corner,clubhouse in distance.

Where my drive finished.

Second shot in the fairway,temp green with blue flag beyond the two big trees.Over or under ?????

I tried a long chasing 5-iron which was daft given soft ground,but nearly......

Where I finished,just short then stupidly took three more to hole out,aaaagh!

Love the pics, Chris, thanks for posting. Forecast here calls for 51* and sunny with light winds. Somehow, someway, somewhere I'm going to bludgeon some golf balls today. Just finished a breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and Batman (the original tv series!) with my little guy. It's gonna be a good day.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Thanks for the nice words boys,I'm 100% with you on the pancakes Holden,I'm afraid I cheat and buy them ready made to just warm through in a little melted butter then a drizzle of maple syrup.....

NCN,thanks and yes it's pretty good apart from worm casts which clog both softspikes or spikeless shoes.I have been watching a lot of Japanese LPGA golf this winter on YouTube which I continue to enjoy,the courses are mostly very beautiful with fairways threading their way through pines with crows cawing and a particular bird that I don't know whose song frequently features as background in Kurosawa films.

I have previously read up on Japanese courses and was interested to see the double green concept where a proper alternative green is built when the course is constructed as well as the single tree placed in or just to the side of the fairway where it registers immediately with the player's eye even though it may not present a real problem.

I've also noticed how brown the fairways can be when the rough remains green and lush.

I love watching the tournaments for the golf which can be very good,the scenery and the young ladies who play.

They smile,they chat and laugh with each other and their caddies,they show respect and courtesy to their opponents and the galleries and never fail to please the eye with an enormously varied range of outfits which all look different,smart,sporty,elegant,the full deal!

Favourites for me and I hope they do well this year are Suzuki Ai and Hataoka Nasa.

My favorite wedge of all time (which I've gamed forever) is the model shown. As a kid I discovered this club had a very useful trait: if I bladed it it went 110 yards, if I pured it it went 110 yards. I'm actually thinking about buying another one because the grooves are gone. I recently bought the companion sand wedge which looks promising but I haven't tried yet.. I think they are mid-70's but Im not sure. I'd play them with the spaldings but I want something a little more period-correct.

I just wish my 5 iron went 110 yds

*Now if only it went 110 yards when you chunk it, it would be the perfect wedge!

I just wish my 5 iron went 110 yds��

Richard, You're on the wrong post Buddy. Please go to "Where is the tell tale sign of getting aged. (In golf)" ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

NCN,thanks and yes it's pretty good apart from worm casts which clog both softspikes or spikeless shoes.I have been watching a lot of Japanese LPGA golf this winter on YouTube which I continue to enjoy,the courses are mostly very beautiful with fairways threading their way through pines with crows cawing and a particular bird that I don't know whose song frequently features as background in Kurosawa films.

I have previously read up on Japanese courses and was interested to see the double green concept where a proper alternative green is built when the course is constructed as well as the single tree placed in or just to the side of the fairway where it registers immediately with the player's eye even though it may not present a real problem.

I've also noticed how brown the fairways can be when the rough remains green and lush.

I love watching the tournaments for the golf which can be very good,the scenery and the young ladies who play.

They smile,they chat and laugh with each other and their caddies,they show respect and courtesy to their opponents and the galleries and never fail to please the eye with an enormously varied range of outfits which all look different,smart,sporty,elegant,the full deal!

Favourites for me and I hope they do well this year are Suzuki Ai and Hataoka Nasa.

The double greens are interesting, though they are disappearing on many courses around me. There used to be generally two different types of green: bent and Korai (sometimes called Japanese lawn grass or Korean lawn grass in English). Players generally preferred the bent grass greens because Korai is really weird to putt on. The grass blades are really tough, and kind of takes off the break. You can hear Korai grass sort of rustle as the ball rolls over it. The advantage of Korai is that it doesn't suffer in the high temperatures that we get here in summer. However, as it wasn't popular, a number of courses I know either stopped caring for the Korai greens or joined them with the bent green to make one large bent green (must be expensive to look after).

Anyway, as I say, many courses I played now just have the one green, which is bent grass; however, with rising summer temperatures, these greens have suffered in recent years. A good course/club nearby me has been experimented with different grasses that are more resistant to heat, and this year they are resurfacing all their greens at vast expense. They're going with a blend of grass, one of which is called 007 (!!), but I forget the name of the other strain.

*Now if only it went 110 yards when you chunk it, it would be the perfect wedge!

I was just commenting on the wedge shot that went 110.! Wishing my 5 iron would go that far. At 78 I am well aware of ALL the signs of aging!☹️

Richard, You're on the wrong post Buddy. Please go to "Where is the tell tale sign of getting aged. (In golf)" ;)

I was just commenting on the wedge shot that went 110.! Wishing my 5 iron would go that far. At 78 I am well aware of ALL the signs of aging!☹️

Just kidding my Friend. I seriously doubt I will even make it to 78 years old much less being able to play.

More Power to You My Friend!

Keep Swinging,

Tim

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

110yds? That's not bad. My best with a 5i is about 60yds, though I've heard that you can get better results if you throw it like a javelin... :taunt:

Just kidding my Friend. I seriously doubt I will even make it to 78 years old much less being able to play.

More Power to You My Friend!

Keep Swinging,

Tim

I knew you were kidding.always said if you can’t laugh at yourself, you don’t have the right to laugh at someone else

Don't know when the Weather Service coined the term "Polar Vortex". Suppose the climatic conditions that create the vortex have always been there. Primarily the alignment of low pressure zones that drags cold air down from the arctic via the jet stream. Yeah, it's going to be cold for a few days. Going to have a significant snow fall today. Happens every winter about this time.

Don't quite know what we'll end up with. I reside along the corridor between modest amounts (5"-7") and heavy, winter storm warning, PITA amounts (10"-12"). Oh well, it will be what it will be. Hopefully, will try and blow out the drive at least once before the winds pickup later in the afternoon. Wednesday's forecasted high is -3*. All depends on how much wind will accompany the cold, making it seem much colder than actual. The wind chill factor. But I can dress for the occasion both days. Not like I have to be out in it for extended periods.

We'll manage. The trip to the store for supplies has been made (never run out of TP). Hunker down for a couple of days. Those of us that live in these environs are use to this stuff. Heck, it's suppose to be touching 40* by next weekend. Not like those that live in other areas of the country, faced with a hurricane bearing down on them. That's serious and dangerous weather. Nevertheless, thanks for the well wishes. In the meantime, I'm counting the days until spring. And as a means of warming up, chose to remember the pleasant days past, and yet to come:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Don't know when the Weather Service coined the term "Polar Vortex". Suppose the climatic conditions that create the vortex have always been there. Primarily the alignment of low pressure zones that drags cold air down from the arctic via the jet stream. Yeah, it's going to be cold for a few days. Going to have a significant snow fall today. Happens every winter about this time.

Don't quite know what we'll end up with. I reside along the corridor between modest amounts (5"-7") and heavy, winter storm warning, PITA amounts (10"-12"). Oh well, it will be what it will be. Hopefully, will try and blow out the drive at least once before the winds pickup later in the afternoon. Wednesday's forecasted high is -3*. All depends on how much wind will accompany the cold, making it seem much colder than actual. The wind chill factor. But I can dress for the occasion both days. Not like I have to be out in it for extended periods.

We'll manage. The trip to the store for supplies has been made (never run out of TP). Hunker down for a couple of days. Those of us that live in these environs are use to this stuff. Heck, it's suppose to be touching 40* by next weekend. Not like those that live in other areas of the country, faced with a hurricane bearing down on them. That's serious and dangerous weather. Nevertheless, thanks for the well wishes. In the meantime, I'm counting the days until spring. And as a means of warming up, chose to remember the pleasant days past, and yet to come:

Our forecasted high Wednesday is -14*F. The lows for Tuesday-Thursday will be in the -20s, with -30* being possible Wednesday night.

Ugh.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors