2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Random conversation thread

There was a post in "Thrift Shop" where someone saw a Cleveland Hibore. That's was my frontline driver until a few years ago, and I still have a backup. But I got to thinking how weird it will be when this forum will be discussing who has the complete weight kit for an M2, the sole-plate differences in a W/S triton, the differences in AP2 model years, Scotty Cameron Putters. Instead of decals and whipping twine it'll be shaft adapters and adjustment wrenches.

Kinda weird to think about how time marches on.

Speaking of time marching on, I tried to watch Daytona but in Finnish time the first red flag took us past 2:00 am and after that I had to sleep. So I did. I think Hamlin won so good for him, although I haven't followed the sport in years. I'll watch Indy though.

I think when that rolls around most of us will be in the great beyond or too old to give two hoots. But I can see the topic now in the year 2045---- Do You think the Twisted Sister face TM was better than the Callaway Jailbird Driver???? or Does anyone have a Soleplate and weight kit for a Wilson Triton Driver???

I love that you just used Twisted Sister in a sentence. :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Yeah I have been calling them Twisted Sister ever since they came out------- Bear got the first one and he has the latest one. That 3 year old Homna ( which he could not hit) still hangs with it and the latest Jailbird Rogue and the Ping G-400.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Something super satisfying about a pipe on a cool, wet day. The leaves here have long lost that good, leafy, fall smell but there is nothing finer than sitting on a blowdown in the fall woods and puffing a pipe. I put it above even most experiences I have had on the golf course.

haven't pulled a briar off the rack for a good while, but always liked My Mixture 965 to get the blood flowing.

that and Dunhill Standard would take you thru the day.

heard they changed providers years ago and it is not the same as in days past.

used to buy two pound bricks of a Latakia base from a shop in Ohio.

Iwan Ries in the Loop had good selection but most pipe smokers have faded away.

memories....

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Something super satisfying about a pipe on a cool, wet day. The leaves here have long lost that good, leafy, fall smell but there is nothing finer than sitting on a blowdown in the fall woods and puffing a pipe. I put it above even most experiences I have had on the golf course.

haven't pulled a briar off the rack for a good while, but always liked My Mixture 965 to get the blood flowing.

memories....

Can no longer buy Dunhill tobacco. I think they are all together done now.

memories....

A golf course is about the only place to "publicly' smoke a pipe. I still usually enjoy a bowl while walking the course, a humble cob, with an equally humble burley tobacco.

Ah, for the "Good old days."

PS: Used to start coughing when smoking London Mixture, even as a non inhaler.

It’s been a warm couple of weeks in Helsinki and our snow is rapidly departing. Sadly this means cross country ski season is over, which as a California boy I’ve never done before this year. I would like to say I put down 100 miles this winter but the reality is likely half that. I’ll say 100km as is local custom and be proud of that. I’m terrible but learning, and I really enjoy it. Plus double-poling HAS to do something to help the power aspect of the golfswing.

But that’s all over and the real reason I’m posting: The outdoor range opened today and I got to take a brand new (to me) 4 year old driver out through it’s paces. It was 30°F, a stiff wind in my face, and it was the epitome of just aimlessly raking and firing as opposed to meaningful practice. But I’m out of the dome and on the range, and I even squared up the second driver shot.

Spring is coming!

memories....

Can no longer buy Dunhill tobacco. I think they are all together done now.

per the Ries site, last batch of Dunhill tins for sale and it's made by a different blender.

they do have an amazing tobacco selection at their downtown Chicago store.

I was flabbergasted at the prices for the Caminetto and Ascorti pipes.

bet I have a dozen or more in boxes here. great smokers.

wonder what the troops would say if I showed up with a briar this spring.

remember those little windscreen caps they used to sell ?

still have one of those leather bags for four or six stems, the accessories, tobacco pouch, et al,

there used to be mall stores called the Tinder Box - all cigars and pipe tobacco.

now it's vape ware.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I can buy a gun in about 20-30 places in town. A pipe, maybe in two, and not much of a selection.

Do you need a license (or background check) to buy a pipe???

I remember some great old meerschaum pipes we used in college for smoking, ........ uh,....."tabocco".....

(I used a coconut too, but that's a story for another time)

And, I'd like it

I can buy a gun in about 20-30 places in town. A pipe, maybe in two, and not much of a selection.

I remember some great old meerschaum pipes we used in college for smoking, ........ uh,....."tabocco".....

And, I'd like it

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :partytime2: FYI Hollowed out tire gauges worked too back when they were made out of metal

And, I'd like it

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :partytime2: FYI Hollowed out tire gauges worked too back when they were made out of metal

cored out apples - salt shakers - scuba masks - college edumacated me well

And, I'd like it

cored out apples - salt shakers - scuba masks - college edumacated me well

I did not do the college thing but I did graduate with two degrees--- US Navy and UNC. UNC being the University of North Charlotte :taunt: . I tell people I graduated from UNC all the time and if they are from the Carolinas or familiar with them they get a kick on the North Charlotte thing.

You know, come to think of it, there is that strip mall toward the beach, with that one store, with the odd name, that sells funny little glass things...

One store? You ain't been around here lately! There are as many of them around here as there are beachwear stores. Now if you get around Pawleys they are refined they do not have beachwear stores they have ( gasp!) RESORT WEAR stores. In fact kinda counter corner to me across the street they have a beachwear store and one of those smoke shop stores right beside it. Come to think of it I have not seen any smoke shop stores south of Garden City and I have been running Georgetown quite a bit lately. In fact played at Willbrook in Litchfield yesterday

Lol, yeah the uppity beachwear stores. I think if I was to go out to IOP they might have a couple like that, but on Folly Beach it’s still beachwear.

Supposed to play with the Palmetto Seniors up your way Thursday at The River Club.

I’m cutting back playing with them this year. Getting too expensive. Seems like everyone has jacked the prices up 10-15 bucks from what we were playing for last year with the group. Add in travel time, skins and pins buy in and any side games...

Have found a local group that has a better handle on the money end of it that plays on the same day, so I’ll pick and choose which courses I want to play with the Palmetto Group this year.

Great little tobacco shop down in a strip mall in Goodlettsville, Tn (suburb of Nashville) where I get mine. They have the tinned tobaccos but also blend their own and have two ounce bags pre-loaded for you to choose from. They have one called "Old Hickory" that I really like. I can't do the aromatics much as I don't care for the taste.

There was a little smoke shop in the town to the north of me but it was kind of a hipster type place and has went away with the popularity of vaping. I guess the beard pulling flannel shirt wearing college dudes have moved on to other pursuits.

Lol, yeah the uppity beachwear stores. I think if I was to go out to IOP they might have a couple like that, but on Folly Beach it's still beachwear.

Supposed to play with the Palmetto Seniors up your way Thursday at The River Club.

I'm cutting back playing with them this year. Getting too expensive. Seems like everyone has jacked the prices up 10-15 bucks from what we were playing for last year with the group. Add in travel time, skins and pins buy in and any side games...

Have found a local group that has a better handle on the money end of it that plays on the same day, so I'll pick and choose which courses I want to play with the Palmetto Group this year.

Played River Club a couple of weeks ago it was in fantastic shape. Hope it warms up for you guys. It is cold as a well digger's behind as I type. I hear you on the rates they have jumped some even with my Prime Times card. The Glens Group card jumped $10 this year too and they are losing one course ( Possum Trot) in October. They did add Wachesaw East down by me but in recent years that place has become a border line goat track.

My 12 year old dog had to be put down today. Couldn’t walk, barely breathing, couldn’t keep down water. Vet said either medicine to prolong the inevitable maybe a month, in agony, or bring it to a close.

I don’t know why dogs have to live only so long to live, you never get enough time...

So sorry for your loss. One of the toughest decisions that we are faced with as our pets truly are part of the family.

It seems like only yesterday that Tuesday was hurdling 4 foot round bales, yet she has been gone for 15 years. The memories will stick with you forever. :)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

So I had a light bulb moment this evening and I thought I would run it by you guys to see what you thought. So I have squirreled away about $125 in dicks gift cards. I have two baseball loving sons who are in need of some stuff for the upcoming season. My proposal is to tell the wife that we can use my dicks cards for the boys and I can purchase the equivalent in classic gear from the Bay. What are your thoughts. Thanks guys.