2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Random conversation thread

On 9/22/2020 at 3:46 AM, Nomad Golfer said:

Update:  Moved to new location Sunshine Coast Queensland and then buggered my back from lifting things I should not have. Managed to hit 20 practice balls the other day so I must be getting better. Sorry tolmij but I may not be playing this year.

Nearby courses still have restrictions e.g. bring your own buggy or only 1 person per hire, distancing, limited service in clubhouse etc. While under repair I've picked up a pair of older Cobra Hyper Steel M woods, #5 & #7 to add to the collection.

Watched the US Open right through and it was noticeably subdued due to few spectators - the buzz and excitement just wasn't there without the crowds. De Chambeau won by a mile and he can sure hit them that far, but if only he could stay on the fairway and get a bit closer to the pin!. Anyway in spite of that he worked hard at it and won  - congratulations.

With the northern hemisphere going into fall/autumn/winter, hope y'all getting in plenty of golf. Cheers, Nomad.

I gave you the sad because I can relate to the messed up back

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 9/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Some wonderful decorations in the clubhouse of the course I played this weekend. Not bad, in my opinion.

IMG_20200905_150845211.jpg

IMG_20200905_150908479.jpg

That bottom picture could have been taken in my shop

• Like 1

Great to see this forum is still alive and well after all these years. We old types may not be the accomplished golfers we once were. I don't know about you all though, but I am still having as much fun with this game as I ever did. Seems my sense of humor is the only piece of original equipment I have left. After reading many of the posts, I can see most of you still have yours as well. 

• Like 4

On 9/26/2020 at 7:30 AM, BIG STU said:

I gave you the sad because I can relate to the messed up back

Thanks Stu !. It was a sciatic nerve pinch that happened but it may not have been from lifting but when I fell over in a local supermarket a couple of weeks ago after some considerate shopper spilled some kind of oil over the floor and didn't tell anyone. Landed on my left hip. Currently on industrial strength codeine and anti-inflams. Anyone who has suffered sciatic pain will know what I mean.  I'm now a couch golf tournament critic until it heals up again. cheers

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

10 hours ago, Nomad Golfer said:

Thanks Stu !. It was a sciatic nerve pinch that happened but it may not have been from lifting but when I fell over in a local supermarket a couple of weeks ago after some considerate shopper spilled some kind of oil over the floor and didn't tell anyone. Landed on my left hip. Currently on industrial strength codeine and anti-inflams. Anyone who has suffered sciatic pain will know what I mean.  I'm now a couch golf tournament critic until it heals up again. cheers

Yep I have really gotten educated on the nervous system as it pertains to the back. Man we have a lot of nerves going to different places in our lower back. Good luck we can moan and groan together over the internet

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Made a great Costco special surf and turf tonight! Yuuummmmm!

Wagyu tenderloin seared on the grill for 90 seconds each side, then into the oven in a hot cast iron pan with some butter at a pre-heated 400F for 8 minutes. 

Was a perfect (for us) medium rare and could cut it with a fork!

Put some lobster tails trimmed out to the top of the shell coated in more butter, paprika, garlic and hot red pepper under a broiler oven for 10 minutes.

It was pure decadence and the fresh salad made it feel healthy!

Took the lobster out after the steak had rested a few minutes and wow, what feast! Some pinot noir, a lovely wife, a cigar now outside in the back patio with a snifter of warm B&B and a cigar...

Playing golf tomorrow morning at 10:40 and it’s going to be 71 F.

Life is good!

Did you know that Wagyu beef has no bad cholesterol? So, no guilt or clogged arteries.

Edited by Soloman1
repairing my drunken typos...
  • Like 4

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

For Thanksgiving, I made a Wagyu rib cap as an app.  First time trying Wagyu and definitely not the last. The only comment is you actually have to limit the amount you eat, unless you're comfortable with rich products. Maybe a couple of ounces at the most. On Christmas I made American Wagyu tenderloin tips and they were beyond phenomenal. 2 hours in the sous vide and then about 90 seconds of searing. For NYE I tried Wagyu short ribs, in the SV for 4 hours and a quick sear. They were actually too rich for my liking because of the fat content. The kids loved them though.  For short ribs, I'll stick with the Costco ribs but you really can't go wrong with Wagyu.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Was a perfect (for us) medium rare and could cut it with a fork!

I think medium rare is about perfect for wagyu because it melts the fat enough to make the meat really tender, but leaves enough of that beautiful rare meat flavour. Rare wagyu is just too fatty for me; I can eat a little, but it soon makes me feel full, and not in a good way.

• Like 1

I played today and was lucky to get paired with a good stick. I know it sounds harsh, but I don't have a lot of patience anymore playing with folks who are clueless about their surroundings. You know, the people who don't know when it's their turn, don't know how to fix a ball mark, can't find their ball, take 4 practice swings before they chunk it 30 yards...

Anyway, it was nice to play with a good stick. I even moved to the back tees with him and I actually shot better from the tips than from the white tees. Made me focus and having a little competition does wonders. I still shoot about 2 under to 2 over, but I'd be back to my old self with more competition. Being able to keep up with someone 35 years younger is a great motivation.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 3

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, Soloman1 said:

I played today and was lucky to get paired with a good stick. I know it sounds harsh, but I don't have a lot of patience anymore playing with folks who are clueless about their surroundings. You know, the people who don't know when it's their turn, don't know how to fix a ball mark, can't find their ball, take 4 practice swings before they chunk it 30 yards...

Anyway, it was nice to play with a good stick. I even moved to the back tees with him and I actually shot better from the tips than from the white tees. Made me focus and having a little competition does wonders. I still shoot about 2 under to 2 over, but I'd be back to my old self with more competition. Being able to keep up with someone 35 years younger is a great motivation.

I will play with anyone who is trying to play well.  Not everyone that plays has good to great skill which is fine.  As long as they have good golf etiquette and good manners it is fine.  That said, I really love playing with people who are better than I am because, as Soloman1 said, it makes me focus more and gives me motivation to dig deeper and keep up.  Especially when the player is younger.  I especially love when I play with someone my junior by a couple decades or more and I can hit the ball at least as far or occasionally farther.  I know that used to get in my head when I was younger so I can only imagine what the younger player is feeling.  Healthy competition never hurts anyone and having a great competitive and social round is what really makes Golf a special game.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

On 9/28/2020 at 6:36 PM, Nomad Golfer said:

Hello NG. Backs are a mongrel. I did my sciatic in October '19. Came good in Feb '20. I was only getting out of the car. Turned to close the door. BANG!!! Could hardly step off a gutter or step up a gutter. Nasty stuff. I'm 60 and as you probably know, our hip bones get a little bit ragged around the edges with age. Like an old favourite iron I suppose. The sciatic can jag on these edges. Now I am a stoic type, but my missus is a yoga teacher and my sons godmother is a pilates/phyisio type. So after much chortling and wisecracks from the girls regarding my flexibility, I started to do yoga and stretch. And above all I was forced to do a lot of gut muscle strengthening work to balance the push/pull beetween between back and front. I know we are all different, but I haven't looked back(no pun intended). And I am now addicted to yoga twice a week. The young people can be a bit daunting at first  but just keep going. The flexibility, not only on the paddock, but just every day stuff, is something you should all consider. I hope you are going well NG. And further, GOLF YOGA  at your club somewhere in the future on the grass with a mat, at sunset, or dawn for that matter, near the 18th, could be the next big offering!! Just imagine it. A happy place. Mind and body.

I also played 4 ball this arvo with my '57 Slaz/Hogan precissions. They are all i play. Wonderful. I couldn't get the 2 iron out of my mates sons hands after he had a few cracks at it. All over it like rash.  He missed it the first time and his dad picked up the slack. 2nd time a little better. After I fed him the secret information about the elusive sweet spot and how to tee up for the club, he nailed it. And it was a revelation regarding the history of club he was playing and how good it felt.

Edited by All Square
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I figure this is as good a place as any. I recently discovered Pinterest. It's amazing how many old golf photos of players, clubs courses, advertisements...you name it, are on there. It's easy to get lost looking through all of the golf images.

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff D9 forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, Antonio111 said:

I actually have these irons (Dunlop Arnold Palmer k65) I can’t find them anywhere on the internet. 

I've seen pictures, I think they're an Australian model, in the UK we only have the Powerpoint (1964) and the Uniswing (1968) from Dunlop with Arnie's name on them.

image.png.e460f209d6e18acc5ef8d410b29b11bd.png

image.png.ba75179d39627954cf817a4a1db435d3.png

image.png.799e06f259e651841e1c4d77ced01394.png

• Like 2

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

• 2 weeks later...

It's the time of the season where I ship off this year's modern club regrets to 2nd swing for pennies on the dollar so that I can go ahead and purchase next year's regrets at full price. I realize that I could get more for my gently used clubs on ebay or the wrx classifieds, but 2nd swing makes it a lot easier. I sure wish that there was 2nd swing golf for vintage clubs.  I realize that eBay is better than what we had in the past, but for unloading clubs, it's a bit of a pain.

• Like 2

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff D9 forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

On 2/21/2021 at 5:15 AM, All Square said:

Hello NG. Backs are a mongrel. I did my sciatic in October '19. Came good in Feb '20. I was only getting out of the car. Turned to close the door. BANG!!! Could hardly step off a gutter or step up a gutter. Nasty stuff. I'm 60 and as you probably know, our hip bones get a little bit ragged around the edges with age. Like an old favourite iron I suppose. The sciatic can jag on these edges. Now I am a stoic type, but my missus is a yoga teacher and my sons godmother is a pilates/phyisio type. So after much chortling and wisecracks from the girls regarding my flexibility, I started to do yoga and stretch. And above all I was forced to do a lot of gut muscle strengthening work to balance the push/pull beetween between back and front. I know we are all different, but I haven't looked back(no pun intended). And I am now addicted to yoga twice a week. The young people can be a bit daunting at first  but just keep going. The flexibility, not only on the paddock, but just every day stuff, is something you should all consider. I hope you are going well NG. And further, GOLF YOGA  at your club somewhere in the future on the grass with a mat, at sunset, or dawn for that matter, near the 18th, could be the next big offering!! Just imagine it. A happy place. Mind and body.

I also played 4 ball this arvo with my '57 Slaz/Hogan precissions. They are all i play. Wonderful. I couldn't get the 2 iron out of my mates sons hands after he had a few cracks at it. All over it like rash.  He missed it the first time and his dad picked up the slack. 2nd time a little better. After I fed him the secret information about the elusive sweet spot and how to tee up for the club, he nailed it. And it was a revelation regarding the history of club he was playing and how good it felt.

I know all to well about the sciatic nerve-- It was one of many that was pinched when I broke my back at L-2 and collapsed the disc too. Yep when the bones were healing and the disc was flexing itself back out it would move that thing and it was bad. Some days I wondered if I could get out of bed or not. Sometimes for days I could not move. I remember a couple of times I had to cancel therapy because I could not get out of the house. The therapy people did not understand untill the Doc had to spell it out for them. The Doc had already told me that it would happen from time to time as I was healing and my back was getting back in alignment. I do have some permant nerve damage though but have not had any sciatic issues for 6 months now. Structually my back is healed but I will have some permanant nerve damage that I will have to live with.

As I have alluded on some other threads I had to switch my equipment up some--- Right now I am playing a set of TM TP CBs with Steel Fiber graphite shafts. I had to learn to hit graphite shafted irons and am still trying to adapt to them. Still getting my feel dialed in with those. I was evidently getting some torsional vibration with my beloved steel shafted MacHogans. Played the Shootout yesterday with the TMs and kinda got them timed and felt in. Main thing I had no pain yesterday or this morning. I will still play vintage some and hoping to work up to maybe 18 holes depending on the nerves. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nitram said:

Has anyone heard anything from Tol or Robotdoctor lately? Anyone form downunder actually??

" Talked" to Robot the other morning on another golf site--- Tol I asked about the other day someone said he was lurking but not posting

• Thanks 1