Jack Nicklaus to sell golf balls

NJGolf28

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly Nicklaus is a better role model than Tiger, who's recent golf course cheating incidents are disgraceful. Or Arnie, who sold out the USGA for a few bucks.
Nicklaus is the man.

[quote name='taz757' timestamp='1380636725' post='7937085']
Got a guy that I play golf with that completely idolizes Nicklaus. You start to bad mouth the man and he goes off and gets super defensive. We try to tell him that we're not taking anything away from the man, but he was good, FOR HIS ERA. He's a total Tiger hater. Anyway ... anything and everything he has to do with golf has to do with Nicklaus. He's got some of his clubs (which I think are pretty garbage, but they work for him), shirts, hats, gloves, etc. We've tried talking him into buying new clubs and he said unless he can find newer Nicklaus ones, he's not really buying anything. I'm really going to hate to see what happens when he finds out that there's balls out now. He'll probably go on a wild manhunt and buy every dozen he can.
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PhilsFanDrew' timestamp='1380643100' post='7937651']
[quote name='square' timestamp='1380591427' post='7935029']
I have never understood the handicap level vs. tee box debate.
High handicappers are shooting high scores due to striking crooked full swing shots and lack of short game skills. Choice of tee blocks does not change the score of a high handicap player.
[/quote]

Playing forward means the fairway is closer to you and you see more of it making it easier to hit. I know at my home course the back tee boxes are also staggered differently making the player see much less of the fairway thus making it more difficult to hit. Also a higher handicap player is more likely to hit more greens or at least be closer to the greens hitting 7 iron and less as opposed to 5 irons, hybrids, and potentially a fairway wood. Even with a flawed short game they will get down quicker being around the green with their 3rd shot as opposed to 100 yards or more away.
[/quote]

Absolutely correct...how many high handicappers and old guys have you seen playing from 6000 yard tees and still can't reach a par 4 in two...then put them on a 7300 yard course and they'll shoot the same score...not on your life! They'll be at least 12-18 shots worse...if they finish the round. I've played over a hundred rounds a year for the past twenty two years and never seen a high handicapper shoot the same scores from the back tees on any course I've ever played; one it's mathematically impossible and two you're not taking into account the aggravation and frustration that will result (bunkers, hazards, water, slow play, marshals, etc).

[font=georgia,serif][i][b]Taylormade M6 10.5 / Fujikura Ventus Red 50[/b][/i][/font]
[font=georgia,serif][i][b] Titleist TSi 2 Fairway 15.0 / [/b][b]Tenzei Blue 60[/b]
[b]Mizuno CLK 19 Hybrid / Tenzie Red 70
Mizuno JPX 921 HM Pro 4-GW / Project X LZ 5.5 [/b]
[b]Titleist Vokey SM8 5608M / 6012D / Dyn Gold[/b][/i][/font]
[font="georgia, serif"][b][i]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3[/i][/b][/font]
[font=georgia,serif][i][b]Taylormade TP5 [/b]
[b]The Club at Savannah Harbor, Savannah, Georgia [/b][/i][/font]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:3434100]

• 5 months later...

As time has gone by, I feel Jacks name brand has lessened, just because he is not as relevant as he was 20-30 years ago. Most of the new breed of golfers don't know much about Jack other than his major record. I see these balls as a potential complete flop. I mean, I am 42 and my perception of Jack Nickalus golf clubs is junk that you might find on sale at KMart. I would assume most younger guys wouldn't even sniff a Nicklaus golf ball.

Titleist TSI2 9*, GD AD-DI 6
Callaway Rogue 15*, GD AD-DI 6
Ping G425 hybrid, 19*, Tensei Pro 80 Orange
Callaway Apex 19 Pro 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM8 54/58 D-grind
Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='fred z' timestamp='1395097770' post='8893249']
Does anyone know who actually MAKES the ball? I doubt Jack bought a company to make balls?
[/quote]Bridgestone.

Callaway Epic Speed 10* MMT 60

Callaway Mavrik 15* Project X Riptide 70
Cobra F8 17.5* Aldila NV
Taylormade PSi 4-PW KBS Tour
Callaway MD3 50*/54*/58*

Bettinardi Studio Stock 17
Bridgestone Tour B X
WITB Link

[quote name='ProStryker' timestamp='1395154444' post='8896845']
As time has gone by, I feel Jacks name brand has lessened, just because he is not as relevant as he was 20-30 years ago. Most of the new breed of golfers don't know much about Jack other than his major record. I see these balls as a potential complete flop. I mean, I am 42 and my perception of Jack Nickalus golf clubs is junk that you might find on sale at KMart. I would assume most younger guys wouldn't even sniff a Nicklaus golf ball.
[/quote]

Yeah, well I'm a couple years older than you and the Nicklaus "Post-Playing" Legacy has been a lot more deeply linked into Course Design and creation than it ever was in equipment. When I think of Nicklaus and equipment I think of MacGregor, but that's more because of the era I grew up in. In the 1980's when Nicklaus broke away from MacGregor and dipped his toe into the equipment world myself and most accomplished players I knew did not leave MacGregor, Wilson or Hogan to jump on the Nicklaus Golf ban wagon. Just my opinion but I think he tested the waters back in the 1980's and quickly realized that equipment was not an easy investment and put most of his energy into course design.
Look at poor Hogan, He put his entire post playing life into making clubs and made some of the best in the world yet they still couldn't stay afloat and he was bought up before he passed away. Golf equipment manufacturing has not been friendly to the Legends of the Game!

But anyway, I'm not sure some of you did any research on these balls at all. This has nothing to do with Nicklaus trying to take over the golf ball world and everything to do with charity. Don't know if the 3 balls/3 tees concept was all Jack's but I think it's a great idea and I'll give the "Blacks" a shot! If their terrible I still did something good for charity and I'll throw one on the mantle for display.

[quote name='fred z' timestamp='1395097770' post='8893249']
Does anyone know who actually MAKES the ball? I doubt Jack bought a company to make balls?
[/quote]
It's in the article, that you evidently didn't read.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

At one time Jack's name was associated with the best equipment available: MacGregor Tourney/VIP/945/Muirfield/JNP, but when he left MacGregor in 92/93 his new club company was intended to be a boutique operation. Even though he took the rights to the name Muirfield and the designs for the JNP/VIP-Muirfield, his company never produced either club. Instead they eventually came out with a forged blade very similar to the Muirfield 20th, but it was not mass produced. Jack's company made a great steel headed driver/fairway wood called the Air Bear...but put a sorry true temper multi-flex shaft in and it didn't sell. I had one and reshafted it with dynamic gold...amazing transformation. When MacGregor came out with the Eye O Matic driver in 2004, I knew I'd seen it before...same idea only bigger volume. I wish he had stayed put with MacGregor...they might still be around. I doubt he expects to be competitive in the ball market, but if he can raise money for a charity...good for him. First class guy in my book. Titleist rules the ball market, but Taylormade & Bridgestone are knocking at the door.

[font=georgia,serif][i][b]Taylormade M6 10.5 / Fujikura Ventus Red 50[/b][/i][/font]
[font=georgia,serif][i][b] Titleist TSi 2 Fairway 15.0 / [/b][b]Tenzei Blue 60[/b]

What clothes ?

[quote name='backtees' timestamp='1395433899' post='8920453']
Quite courageous to enter such a crowded market with that many silverbacks and where also hacker think that they have to play a Pro V1. Not so sure if that will be such a sure-fire success as with his clothes (and partly clubs) as the ball market is definitely a different one.
[/quote]

Yonex ezone 380 10* Rexis M-1 shaft
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 15.5* Miyazaki
Cleveland Mashie hybrid 20.5* Miyazaki
Ping S56 4-9 Nippon 950 steel shaft
Ping Gorge 47*, 52* ,56* Nippon 950
KZG 100% milled center shaft putter

[quote name='asommers14' timestamp='1395464115' post='8923615']
Has anyone played these yet?
[/quote]

I bought a dozen of the blacks and tried them last weekend. I was hoping they'd be comparable to the Prov1x, but I don't think this compares. The ball does appear to be quite durable, but it has a firmer feel than the Prov1 and Prov1x. I wouldn't exactly call it a rock, though. It was hard to judge the spin with the course and greens wet and in winter conditions, but I don't think it will spin around the greens enough for my liking. I hope to get a better sense of how it performs when the courses are in better shape.

• 4 months later...

Just for the halibut...I ordered a dozen of the Blues and gave a nominal amount to the charity. One caution, if you are using IE as your browser, exercise extreme caution. The website does not function well and caused me inadvertedly order $195 worth of golf balls! I had to call and get it straightened out and the operator suggsted I use another browser such as Chrome, or Firefox. I read a review on another forum, but the author did not really get into any techs, he only wanted to talk about bifurication or whatever the term is.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

There is a long story related to MacGregor and I'll summerize some of the issues that transpired. If one wants more the History of MacGregor is available.

With MacGregor Jack was one of last premier contracts with the company. The Mac company changed hands and the older company employees either retired, left the company' and some did not want to relocate; and some were removed from the employee list. Part or this was related to unions and cost of wages, and some of the new owners lacked a complete understanding as to what was needed to keep the company at the top. Jack came on board just before the transition and experienced the changes that occurred during the transition to Brunswick.

At the later part of his association with MacGregor / Brunswick - part of his concern was the direction that the equipment company had gone with their products.... Jack had acquired part of the ownership to the company but there was tension between himself and the company. When he did decide to leave the company it was probably a good decision on his part because the inevitable demise of MacGregor dragged on for another decade or so - but fell off the map within the competitive circle of golfers.

The new owners lacked a solid business model - like the one that built MacGregor as a Premier company, and they lost the special relationship that was created with club pros and others who carried the products, and all the banners affiliated with the company.

Like Ben Hogan - Jack attracted some investors and created his a company bearing his name with several complimentary club lines. Not a great deal of success - but some of the designs are not too bad. IMHO Jack took some risks on unproven shafts and he had hoped would offer something better for the public. This was one of several challenges that resulted in unforeseen problems.

Jack has an awesome golf-career record and he has a like-able personality for family and TV audiences. But the world of business and economics being what it is; meant that some of the weaker aspects of his business dealings can be seen as factors that lead to the demise of the Nicklaus golf club company. His course design company has been more enduring.

MacGregor had Jack Nicklaus signature series golf balls and I'm not too sure how popular they were. I don't recall obtaining them off the shelves of any of golf store specialty shops that I visited. But I've found the odd one on the golf course over the years and tried them out on that basis. MacGregor always struggled with their golf ball business and they did not have too much success with them. However, the Maxfli golf ball line that Jack endorsed was much more successful and used by a wide variety of players. Personally, I preferred the Maxfli balata balls over the Titleist balata balls. And I knew others who made the same choice.

Now it's time for the punch line...

Jack endorses many concepts that help in defining where he believes the game has gone since his heyday in competition golf. Without knowing who or what his newest golf ball renditions are comprised for I sense that he may have used a partial reference to the Maxfli model as his go-to option. Witout knowing first hand how these new balls play I beleive that he would have had a great deal of success if he had created one golf ball that would be more complimentary to the vintage persimmon / laminate / woods and vintage irons / wedge and putter game. In this way a specific golf ball for this aspect of the game would have fit his overall comments quite neatly. Where his comments regarding longer balls / longer course design-syndromes which he claims, is creating an animal that is "uncaged" and moving further away from the intent of older track designs has and will continue to have it's own problems. Course maintanance being the most obvious one.

The new movement of longer courses renders many of the old classic tracks as not being very relevant to today's game. But there remains a segment of golfers who enjoy playing older tracks and using old vintage equipment. Therefore there is a need for some golf ball designs for these golfers and they would use a ball like this if it was designed for their equipment. So, whether he has hit the mark, or is simply doing the same-ole, same-ole - like many of the other ball companies are doing; will be determined over the next year or so as more people try the product out and determine it's suitability for their game and the price point that the balls are intended for.

[quote name='bullrambler' timestamp='1407163293' post='9853005']
There is a long story related to MacGregor and I'll summerize some of the issues that transpired. If one wants more the History of MacGregor is available.

With MacGregor Jack was one of last premier contracts with the company. The Mac company changed hands and the older company employees either retired, left the company' and some did not want to relocate; and some were removed from the employee list. Part or this was related to unions and cost of wages, and some of the new owners lacked a complete understanding as to what was needed to keep the company at the top. Jack came on board just before the transition and experienced the changes that occurred during the transition to Brunswick.

At the later part of his association with MacGregor / Brunswick - part of his concern was the direction that the equipment company had gone with their products.... Jack had acquired part of the ownership to the company but there was tension between himself and the company. When he did decide to leave the company it was probably a good decision on his part because the inevitable demise of MacGregor dragged on for another decade or so - but fell off the map within the competitive circle of golfers.

The new owners lacked a solid business model - like the one that built MacGregor as a Premier company, and they lost the special relationship that was created with club pros and others who carried the products, and all the banners affiliated with the company.

Like Ben Hogan - Jack attracted some investors and created his a company bearing his name with several complimentary club lines. Not a great deal of success - but some of the designs are not too bad. IMHO Jack took some risks on unproven shafts and he had hoped would offer something better for the public. This was one of several challenges that resulted in unforeseen problems.

Jack has an awesome golf-career record and he has a like-able personality for family and TV audiences. But the world of business and economics being what it is; meant that some of the weaker aspects of his business dealings can be seen as factors that lead to the demise of the Nicklaus golf club company. His course design company has been more enduring.

MacGregor had Jack Nicklaus signature series golf balls and I'm not too sure how popular they were. I don't recall obtaining them off the shelves of any of golf store specialty shops that I visited. But I've found the odd one on the golf course over the years and tried them out on that basis. MacGregor always struggled with their golf ball business and they did not have too much success with them. However, the Maxfli golf ball line that Jack endorsed was much more successful and used by a wide variety of players. Personally, I preferred the Maxfli balata balls over the Titleist balata balls. And I knew others who made the same choice.

Now it's time for the punch line...

Jack endorses many concepts that help in defining where he believes the game has gone since his heyday in competition golf. Without knowing who or what his newest golf ball renditions are comprised for I sense that he may have used a partial reference to the Maxfli model as his go-to option. Witout knowing first hand how these new balls play I beleive that he would have had a great deal of success if he had created one golf ball that would be more complimentary to the vintage persimmon / laminate / woods and vintage irons / wedge and putter game. In this way a specific golf ball for this aspect of the game would have fit his overall comments quite neatly. Where his comments regarding longer balls / longer course design-syndromes which he claims, is creating an animal that is "uncaged" and moving further away from the intent of older track designs has and will continue to have it's own problems. Course maintanance being the most obvious one.

The new movement of longer courses renders many of the old classic tracks as not being very relevant to today's game. But there remains a segment of golfers who enjoy playing older tracks and using old vintage equipment. Therefore there is a need for some golf ball designs for these golfers and they would use a ball like this if it was designed for their equipment. So, whether he has hit the mark, or is simply doing the same-ole, same-ole - like many of the other ball companies are doing; will be determined over the next year or so as more people try the product out and determine it's suitability for their game and the price point that the balls are intended for.
[/quote]

Nice post, I enjoyed reading that. It was really sad to see MacGregor go down the way they did. I played their clubs from 1995 on and they're irons took a back seat to no one. During the 80's & 90's MacGregor made irons for a sizeable portion of the PGA Tour, stamping the clubs with whatever company the pro rep'd for on the sly. Greg Norman's Cobra irons were Macs in disguise. Paul Azinger won the the PGA playing Mac Vip Tour CB-92s. MacGregor may have lost the driver market, but what they gained with their forged Tourney/ViP iron lines was immeasurable. They complicated these successes by going after the dime store market with cheap club sets that embarrassed the company name and irritated Nicklaus to no end. Had they focused on being an iron company and left the driver, putter, wedge market to others they might have succeeded...those three areas were heading into the dawn of Titlest, Vokey, Scotty, Cleveland, etc. Although I will say the last driver they made--the MT460 with an Aldila DVS shaft was a cannon, the prior MACTEC line did them no favors. The 1025m VIP irons are the last truly great club they made, played on tour by Greg Norman, Lee Janzen, Jose Maria Olazaball, & Aaron Baddely.

[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1407181616' post='9855871']
s. The 1025m VIP irons are the last truly great club they made, played on tour by Greg Norman, Lee Janzen, Jose Maria Olazaball, & Aaron Baddely.
[/quote]

Agreed. I picked up a 3 and 5 iron in pristine condition from a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. They are the 1025C and am on the lookoutfor more. They were stamped with the initials PCS which of course could mean anyone's.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1407181961' post='9855935']
[quote name='67VIP' timestamp='1407181616' post='9855871']
s. The 1025m VIP irons are the last truly great club they made, played on tour by Greg Norman, Lee Janzen, Jose Maria Olazaball, & Aaron Baddely.
[/quote]

Agreed. I picked up a 3 and 5 iron in pristine condition from a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. They are the 1025C and am on the lookoutfor more. They were stamped with the initials PCS which of course could mean anyone's.
[/quote]

Great stuff 67VIP and Dinosaur - Thanks for sharing some additional information and keep looking and you'll find other irons to match the 1025C set that your putting together...!.

Received my order of Nicklaus Blues today. I like the packaging. The logo on the ball stands out a bit, but on the opposite side, only a small thin "Nicklaus Blue" line which will be good for alignment purposes. Hopefully can get out on the course soon not-with-standing some other events planned with SWMBO.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1407615434' post='9896273']
Received my order of Nicklaus Blues today. I like the packaging. The logo on the ball stands out a bit, but on the opposite side, only a small thin "Nicklaus Blue" line which will be good for alignment purposes. Hopefully can get out on the course soon not-with-standing some other events planned with SWMBO.
[/quote]

Let us know what you think of them. I have been looking to buy some but really havent heard to much of their performance

[quote name='asommers14' timestamp='1407680752' post='9900783']
[quote name='Dinosaur' timestamp='1407615434' post='9896273']
[/quote]

Let us know what you think of them. I have been looking to buy some but really havent heard to much of their performance
[/quote]

will do. I mostly bought them on a whim and also I like the notion of a charitable donation.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Okay. Out on the course today. This is a good ball. Nothing remarkable, but feel is pretty good. Responsive around the greens, feels lively. Nice little "click" sound on short chips. Ball checks up pretty good. Putts true. I had a lot of one putts and I did not knock it that close, average distance was 8-10 feet. For the price, good deal.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

• 3 weeks later...

didn't want to start a new thread about balls, but happened to find a lost TM Burner on the course today. For whatever reason, that ball feels really good to me. Even better than the TP3 and TP5's. Prolly a one time thing, but I am going to be buying a box if they are on sale or something. The Nicklaus Blues, are still just "OK", but worth the price.

che desideri...."
Go with what you know!