FTi or FT5....Cant Decide!

AP783

Here's the deal. I work at a ProGolf in Michigan, its freezing cold out and no outdoor range has these clubs yet. I've been hitting them for a few days now in the simulator getting some pretty good stats, but one thing that it doesn't do it account for spin rate. I'm a 0 handicap at my home course but a traveling 2 handicap. I don't hit the ball that high, and played a Nike SQ 10.5 with a diamana blue board in it last year and liked that and ball flight was pretty good, could have been a little higher actually, but I know it was just the shaft. Anyways, I'm torn between the FT5 in a 10.5 with the Fuji Speeder 652 stiff or a FTi Tour 9.5 with the fuji speeder 652 in it. The shaft is a mid kick good torque not too stiff so thats my choice on shaft. A lot of people are saying the FTi is very straight but not as long because it creates a lot of back spin (high spin rate). I hit the FTi more consistant but is the FT5 really that much longer? People said the FTi is short, and the FT5 is a cannon. So really I guess I need to decide if I want distance or accuracy. But I don't want the FTi if its THAT short either. Any input can help me out. THANKS FELLA'S!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And thats another thing too. I want the tour sitting .5 degrees open and the FTi only comes in a 9.5 in the tour but I think it launches higher than the 9.5 tour in the FT5. I was also thinking about getting the fuji speeder 569 in the FTi which a little less spin than the 652 and the 569 has a little higher kickpoint though. I don't know. My head hurts, I just want to order one of the other!...LOL

I hit both outside today, a FT-5 with the Fuji Fit-On 360 and the FT-i with a Speeder 686, both neutral. Of the two I prefer the FT-5. The sound of the FT-i actually hurt my ears toward the end of the session, it's that loud. Surprisingly, the square head wasn't that bad on the eyes. It's pretty darn straight though, but sends the ball all the way up to the moon. I was hooking the crap out of the FT-5, but the FT-i didn't hook or fade that much unless I really tried. Looking forward to trying the FT-5 Tour.

Being a low handicap I would go with the FT-5. No one is using the Ft-i on tour anymore due to the fact that it only goes straight. You can hardly work it at all..and for someone in the single digits..thats no good.

Have you hit an FT-I yet? IMO, what you say above is hogwash. I've had my FT-I Tour for about a week now, and it's quite possible to hit every variety of shot with it. I have my doubts if it is inherently any straighter than my SQ Tour. It is noticably more forgiving off the toe, though. It is harder to turn over (depending on what you're comparing it to), but no more than going from to a 460CC driver from a smaller one.

Put a cut swing on it, and it will move. Same with a draw. Folks that think this thing will in some way help fix a swing flaw are going to be sorely disappointed.

Oh, and for the guy above - I don't find mine to be any higher spin than my SQ Tour was. I played today in some pretty good wind, and it didn't balloon on me at all. I do tend te be spin and launch challenged, though.

Here's the deal. I work at a ProGolf in Michigan, its freezing cold out and no outdoor range has these clubs yet. I've been hitting them for a few days now in the simulator getting some pretty good stats, but one thing that it doesn't do it account for spin rate. I'm a 0 handicap at my home course but a traveling 2 handicap. I don't hit the ball that high, and played a Nike SQ 10.5 with a diamana blue board in it last year and liked that and ball flight was pretty good, could have been a little higher actually, but I know it was just the shaft. Anyways, I'm torn between the FT5 in a 10.5 with the Fuji Speeder 652 stiff or a FTi Tour 9.5 with the fuji speeder 652 in it. The shaft is a mid kick good torque not too stiff so thats my choice on shaft. A lot of people are saying the FTi is very straight but not as long because it creates a lot of back spin (high spin rate). I hit the FTi more consistant but is the FT5 really that much longer? People said the FTi is short, and the FT5 is a cannon. So really I guess I need to decide if I want distance or accuracy. But I don't want the FTi if its THAT short either. Any input can help me out. THANKS FELLA'S!

My suggestion would be to test the 2 products in the same shaft that fits your spec and decide what driver fits your swing. You work where they have a simulator...just test them and see what the numbers are then you will have your answer.

If you like yours..great and by all means keep it in the bag.

Never said I liked it ... but it's definitely not a "automatic straight" club by any stretch of the imagination.

People said the same thing when going from the smaller drivers to the big 460cc heads... "too hard to work", "can't turn it over", etc. How is this any different?

I don't hit the ball that high, and played a Nike SQ 10.5 with a diamana blue board in it last year and liked that and ball flight was pretty good, could have been a little higher actually, but I know it was just the shaft.

I hit an SQ Tour 10.5* with a Diamana 83 and Harmon FZ depending on when it was.

I hit the FT-i Tour 9.5* with the stock Speeder 686 about the same height and distance.

I hit both today for the first time and I personally decided on the FT-5 and changed my order from the FT-i. Both are really nice but the FT-5 Tour just sounded and felt a lot better to me. I didn't loose any distance at all with the FT-i however like most are saying but did see a bit of an increase in spin. I was able to work the FT-i but not to the degree of the FT-5. Serously; the FT-5 Tour is one of the sweetest feeling drivers I've ever hit! It really is that nice; light years better than the FT-3 Tour (sound and feel) and I was one of the guys who liked it! Cally is going to do very well with these offerings...

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I hit them both yesterday on the range, both were demo sticks. I didn't like the FT-I at all. The FT-5 was pretty sweet, it was LONG and I couldn't see that the FT-I was that more forgiving. I thought the FT-I was the ugliest thing I had ever seen also, even uglier than the SUMO2 which is no longer in my bag BTW. People who thing the square heads are going to be magic are going to be disapointed IMO.

CP

I thought the FT-1 was a POS. It makes you sick when you hit it because of the noise. I dont mind loud drivers but this stings your ears. The Ft-5 is a nice driver with a good sound. I like the Ft-3 sound better but oh well. The FT-1 comes an inch longer i guess because it hits the ball lower.

Just hit both and you make the choice. Hell I play the SUMO and its loud but doesnt sting my ears as much as the FT-i

TM SIM Max 11.1* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 6S
3 Wood Titleist TSR 15* Fujikura Ventus Red VC 7S
5 Wood Titleist TSR 18* Fujikura Ventus Blue VC 8S
7 Wood Callaway BB 2004 21* Pro Launch 75s
4-PW Srixon Zx7 Modus 105s
MG4 54 SB Modus 105w, MG4 60 SBC Modus 105w

Scotty Cameron

I totally disagree, I was at a golf galaxy today and the ft-i was flying out the door, i know the store manager pretty well and he said every person who tried the ft-i bought it. I did not buy it but this is a awesome driver and I did not lose distance. I wanted a 10 neural but they were sold out so i dont think these clubs are as bad as some of you think......if you are over a 10hc i think this is a awesome club...just my 2cents

These clubs are garbage. What you need to do is go to Golfsmith and get fitted with a custom driver with the right shaft for half the money. Callaway really dropped the ball with these clubs. See a big RTV coming from them.

Ummmmmm....... A lot of people would beg to differ with you. The wifey & I went to Galaxy today for the Cally fitting day. We got there at 1:30, so I knew we missed out on the cheesey 2 ball sleeve of HX Tours, but I didn't expect them to be out of DRIVERS. They had only a few left, although the guy did say the FT-5 was selling about 2-1 to the square one. The wife is getting the FT-5 on 2 swings (I think she had her mind made up after the Hot List). Need to pick up her Bertha 454 & go back & trade it tomorrow. She's getting the 11* Ladies draw, it's pretty sweet.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow