The Wizard Short Game Technique Videos(merged)

Hstead

[quote name='defsoad' timestamp='1406374534' post='9789197']
[quote name='GeoffDickson' timestamp='1406368303' post='9789005']
A frustrating day on the practice green and on the course. Two questions:

1. I am embarrassed to ask this one, but is it possible find the sweet spot with this technique?
2. If the club still digs whilst trying to utilise this technique, what is the most likely mistake?
[/quote]

1. Are you hitting everything off of the toe? If so, try moving a bit away from the ball. The shaft should still point above your belly button, but more of the sole will be on the ground at address.
[/quote]

Good call. More than a few off the toe…and I could be standing too close to the ball….whuch would probably encourage the outside-in path that Dan suggests is possibly my issue. Iteach talks about swinging like a putter stroke and raising the handle….maybe i have 'misimplemented' that advice.

[quote name='mitchdoc' timestamp='1406411459' post='9791617']
Ok bought the videos!
Downloaded the different segments seems to be 13 in all.
Well made. Easy to follow.

2 shots I didn't see covered I am a bit curious how to hit.
1: short shot from the rough (I either go to far past the hole or leave them in the rough)
2: Hardpan shots that need to get up in the air a bit
[/quote]

Shot from the rough is covered. Distance is controlled by swing length. Hard pan shots are the tight lie pitch with an open face. It's that simple

Spent an hour this monring at the chipping area working on this. Played later in the afternoon, and tried taking some of these techniques on the course. Overall, not bad, hit three green side chips/pitches to withn a foot, can't remember the last time I did that. Got up and down a couple of other times, once from the sand from a very hard downhill lie and hit it to about 8 feet and made it, and made an 18 footer after a misjudgement on the roll out from the rough from a somewhat tricky lie, which I did a couple of times. But I would say, so far so good, need to keep working at it. This has me excited to hit shot around the green again .

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

When the green is narrow and protected both sides by bunkers, being able to confidently leave the approach short for a chip upslope has made ALL the difference. Quite possible par and relatively easy bogey.

It occurred to me that nowadays I actually look forward to chipping on tight lies or any lies for that matter. A source of stress is now actually FUN.

I also noticed this is how many holes at my course are designed to be played, especially with sucker pins. If you clear the bunkers but get short-sided, you're looking at a downslope chip from the rough. Good luck trying to stop the ball close.

Why should I worry about bunkers or downslope chip from rough when I can take one club less and leave them all out of play completely?

With this new technique in my collection, my enjoyment of the game has reached new heights.

Sorry to sound like an ad. Can't wait for my next game.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1406309234' post='9784215']
[quote name='lee36328' timestamp='1406265709' post='9780967']
[quote name='aliikane' timestamp='1406260510' post='9780619']
What he says about a shallow AOA and using the bounce is correct. It is just like skipping a rock off water. If you try to skip the rock by throwing it a steep angle towards the water, it won't skip and will plunge into the water. Whereas, if you throw the rock at a shallower angle towards the water the rock will skip.
[/quote]

What a good analogy. I really need this to get the concept through my thick noggin' so that my hands don't try to come in last minute to 'muscle' the shot out to my detriment. Thank you, allikane.
[/quote]

Speed and face wide open. Softer the sand the more open face needs to be. Be aggressive
[/quote]

Thanks, Dan.

So after reading through some of the early pages in this thread, I noticed Dan's recommendation is a 60* - 12* bounce with V grind. Anyone know if these can be ordered, and if so, where? So far I've only been able to find 60*/11*/M grind....

I looked up the specs of my 60* and it's only 3* bounce, which explains why it's been so hit or miss using this method! I played around with my 56* which has 14* of bounce and it was definitely much easier and had more room for error. So now I'm looking for a new 60* wedge...My others are cleveland, but it seems Vokey has more grind options. Anybody got any links that might help?

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

So I have worked with Dan since his days teaching in Orlando. I was very fortunate to strike up a friendship early on that continues today. When I first started with Dan I had a 12-14 index. Today with only Dan as my instructor I pmay off a 1-1.5 index. Mostly my putting holds me back. Now it was great when Dan was in Orlando because I could go see him a few times a week and bug him with all my crazy thoughts and questions. Now that he is working in Jacksonville it makes it a bit tougher to go get a tune up. A few weeks ago Dan and I were texting and I was telling him my bunker play has gone to crap. He said he had a whole series ofvideos coming out and that he thought they would help. Now I could get out of bunkers, but never close and not very consistant. I was doing the old open stance cut across the ball technique. So they other night I went on Dans site, paid for and downloaded the videos. I realky liked how they were individual videos per lessons and not just one long video. My only problem was I watched them all and was excited to go work on my bunker play the next morning. I started practicing and hitting some bunker shots but not very well at all. After about an hour I gave up kinda deflated that I was worse now than before. As I was driving home I was thinking and the light went off in my head. After calling myself a few names I realized that I had blended several of Dans techniques into the bunker technique. DOH! I sent Dan a text just to follow up and he reiterated what his video said. So yesterday off I go. Warming up before a tournament and started hitting some really good bunker shots. That thump you hear when you use the bounce on the wedge correctly is a sure sign your on the right track. In my round I ended up in a green side bunker on a par 5. Trusting the technique I hit a great shot that one bounced off the flag. Now all of my bunker shots were not perfect but with more practice and trust I think I can make a weakness a strength. The best thing is the technique is super simple, just be sure to follow Dans instructions properly. The videos are well worth the money, tbanks Dan!

@drew - Dan uses a Tour issue M grind I am pretty sure. I use a TVD K grind that I really like that has 11*. A wedge with 3* of bounce would definitely make things less consistent for me than a wedge with a lot more bounce. People that think you can't use a wedge with a lot of bounce off of a hard tight lie are just misinformed. Dan has some videos of hitting flops off of the concrete with a 12* bounce wedge. If i recall, Dan suggests really any wedge with at least 10*.

From my experience with Dan's short game technique, I think I tried to make it harder than it really is. When Dan says to "listen very closely, it's all there" it really is if you listen. It is KISS. I have to make sure I don't try to make it any more difficult than it is. After four lessons and quite a few hours practicing, everything is much more clear to me now and it is really as simple as it sounds.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='gwlee7' timestamp='1406474715' post='9794833']
All of dans wedges are v grind. He mentions it in this thread somewhere plus he told me this in person when i was down there.
[/quote]

My bad. I remember him recommending the M to me, I was thinking his Tour issue was an M too.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1406417245' post='9792093']
Ok bought the videos!

1: short shot from the rough (I either go to far past the hole or leave them in the rough)
[/quote]

Shot from the rough is covered. Distance is controlled by swing length. Hard pan shots are the tight lie pitch with an open face. It's that simple
[/quote]

Thanks. Since I am technical minded any details for a standard bunker shot in terms of ball position, how deep to dig feet in the sand, size of swing relative to distance of shot?
How bout the weight? Set it left and keep it that way?...

I've gotta say, I experimented with this technique when dan put out his youtube videos on light lies a while back. I couldn't really get it and pretty much gave up on it and went back to my old lousy ways.

Since these videos were released I've given it another try and something clicked. It's awesome. Still have some work to do with the bunker shots with distance control, but throw me any kind of chip/short pitch and I feel like I'm gonna give myself a damn good chance to get up and down now.

Kudos Iteach

[quote name='Paulw007' timestamp='1406461996' post='9794153']
So I have worked with Dan since his days teaching in Orlando. I was very fortunate to strike up a friendship early on that continues today. When I first started with Dan I had a 12-14 index. Today with only Dan as my instructor I pmay off a 1-1.5 index. Mostly my putting holds me back. Now it was great when Dan was in Orlando because I could go see him a few times a week and bug him with all my crazy thoughts and questions. Now that he is working in Jacksonville it makes it a bit tougher to go get a tune up. A few weeks ago Dan and I were texting and I was telling him my bunker play has gone to crap. He said he had a whole series ofvideos coming out and that he thought they would help. Now I could get out of bunkers, but never close and not very consistant. I was doing the old open stance cut across the ball technique. So they other night I went on Dans site, paid for and downloaded the videos. I realky liked how they were individual videos per lessons and not just one long video. My only problem was I watched them all and was excited to go work on my bunker play the next morning. I started practicing and hitting some bunker shots but not very well at all. After about an hour I gave up kinda deflated that I was worse now than before. As I was driving home I was thinking and the light went off in my head. After calling myself a few names I realized that I had blended several of Dans techniques into the bunker technique. DOH! I sent Dan a text just to follow up and he reiterated what his video said. So yesterday off I go. Warming up before a tournament and started hitting some really good bunker shots. That thump you hear when you use the bounce on the wedge correctly is a sure sign your on the right track. In my round I ended up in a green side bunker on a par 5. Trusting the technique I hit a great shot that one bounced off the flag. Now all of my bunker shots were not perfect but with more practice and trust I think I can make a weakness a strength. The best thing is the technique is super simple, just be sure to follow Dans instructions properly. The videos are well worth the money, tbanks Dan!
[/quote]

I tried to hit some bunker shots in practice the other day trying to hit long shallow divots. I was blading the ball quite a bit. When I went to a quick set of the wrist a la Gary Player it worked a lot better for me.

Do you set your wrists quickly in your technique?

[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1406509869' post='9798131']
I've gotta say, I experimented with this technique when dan put out his youtube videos on light lies a while back. I couldn't really get it and pretty much gave up on it and went back to my old lousy ways.

Since these videos were released I've given it another try and something clicked. It's awesome. Still have some work to do with the bunker shots with distance control, but throw me any kind of chip/short pitch and I feel like I'm gonna give myself a damn good chance to get up and down now.

Kudos Iteach
[/quote]

What was the big light bulb that went off? Was it that you were more shallow into the ball than before?

[quote name='jlo' timestamp='1406510581' post='9798211']

Kudos Iteach
[/quote]

What was the big light bulb that went off? Was it that you were more shallow into the ball than before?
[/quote]

Combination of two things JLO. First, really embracing the thumbs down to thumbs down for chips, vs thumbs up to thumbs down for flops/traps. Also just really watching dan execute the shots. I noticed he took the club away on a much more inside hand path then I did. I read this thread which I believe was linked somewhere earlier in this thread http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/299564-tilting-correctly-and-handpath/

Applied the information here to these shorts shots, and my full swing and so far results are excellent in both areas.

[quote name='jut111' timestamp='1406546440' post='9799791']
[quote name='jlo' timestamp='1406510581' post='9798211']

Kudos Iteach
[/quote]

[/quote]

Combination of two things JLO. First, really embracing the thumbs down to thumbs down for chips, vs thumbs up to thumbs down for flops/traps. Also just really watching dan execute the shots. I noticed he took the club away on a much more inside hand path then I did. I read this thread which I believe was linked somewhere earlier in this thread [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/299564-tilting-correctly-and-handpath/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...y-and-handpath/[/url]

Applied the information here to these shorts shots, and my full swing and so far results are excellent in both areas.
[/quote]

Thank you very much for that link. What exactly is a thumbs down approach? I can see the thumbs up.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1406417245' post='9792093']
Ok bought the videos!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for all the great info. One question though, when you open the club face, are you opening your stance or are you fine with the club pointing slightly right of the target (for a righty)?