2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Penna WW Special on Ebay

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1383762143' post='8110642']
Anyone see these on Ebay?? Wowser[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MacGregor-Toney-Penna-Model-WHITE-Woods-Set-/151158998784?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2331c74700"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item2331c74700[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1383762923' post='8110698']
Holy smokes...I've never seen anyone pay that much money for golf clubs before. They certainly are interesting to look at.
Max
[/quote]

Blimey O'Reilly !!! $10K a club !!!!

I wish I'd found those for $2 a club in one of jtbrown248's thrift shops lol.

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1383763700' post='8110786']
[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1383762143' post='8110642']
Anyone see these on Ebay?? Wowser[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MacGregor-Toney-Penna-Model-WHITE-Woods-Set-/151158998784?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item2331c74700"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item2331c74700[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1383762923' post='8110698']
Holy smokes...I've never seen anyone pay that much money for golf clubs before. They certainly are interesting to look at.
Max
[/quote]

Blimey O'Reilly !!! $10K a club !!!!

I wish I'd found those for $2 a club in one of jtbrown248's thrift shops lol.
[/quote]Duh Huh

Me too....

Anybody get the licence tag of the Mac Truck :busted_cop::busted_cop::busted_cop::lock::lock::lock::lock::pimp::pimp:

$50K for a set of woods! Markets turning around guys! Buy! Buy! Buy! Sell! Sell! Sell!
Always intrigued by these woods.
About 5 or 6 years ago, I actually did find 2,3,4 woods in this model, in the sub-basement of a local flea-market. Paid $3 each for them. Needless to say they were in nowhere near as good condition as these. Boxed them up, sent them to a friend, a former member of the MacGregor Mafia. [Those guys in the 1970s or 80s, that would swap their house, their wife, and their 1st born for certain, rare, drivers and putters.]
I knew that I had neither the skill nor the $s to do anything with them. He farmed out most of his intensive overhauls. He passed away, so I don't know if he had anything done to them.
I also keep trying to conjur up from the recesses of the sub-basement of what's left of my mind, the name of an old "Sunday Slugger" [LMAO], who played a set of these woods 40+ years ago. I can picture him now: white polo, plaid bermuda shorts, bar/tea towel tucked in his belt or back pocket, lotta BS and BO, . . . but taking a swipe at a balatta, and a miss, another swipe, and . . . just can't remember the face or the name.

Say, now while everyones jumping around, might be a good opportunity to find out if you gurus know anything about this white-finished, Ben Hogan Driver I found:

[attachment=1939564:BH white DRvr3.jpg][attachment=1939566:BH white DRvr1.jpg][attachment=1939570:BH white DRvr2.jpg]

With a 44" Hogan N-shaft, I don't think it's a "chick-stick." I just wondered if anyone knew if Hogan ever produced any of these, ie, is the finish original, or is it a case of 'Penna-envy?' [Sorry, couldn't help myself, haven't had my evening meds and medicinal brandy yet.]
[btw: Black on silver Hogan N-shaft, True Temper label; Speed Slot decal, but no model number.]

I thought we'd better have some pics of that eBay set before eBay deletes them all !

So here goes ...

[attachment=1939904:MacGregor WW Special.jpg]

:@Ol_Pardner nice Hogan but I'm afraid I'm not going to offer you $10K for it :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1383765276' post='8110922']
This set for the big dough is very interesting. Although white woods were offered with( red or black ) on white inserts. I have never seen any which were not red on white. The top stamp also matched the insert color.

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Did you ever see a "6 Wood" from those days, Charlie? That really looks like an odd ball set of MacGregor Woods. I remember some of the ladies' clubs coming in the white finish, but with a Butterfly sole plate? Never saw one, not that they couldn't have existed.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but a friend and I spent a couple of hours one Saturday at your Uncle's shop in Florida, I suspect it was in the very early 80's ? If I recall correctly, it was around Jupiter or somewhere north of West Palm Beach? I'm not sure I even remember if the shop was under the "Toney Penna" brand or was he with Rawlings in the early 80's? Memory is the 2nd thing to go.

Six woods were offered at that time. I cannot give an opinion without holding the clubs in my hands. There are many things which I question about these clubs. Fifty large is a shocking price. One thing I should ask teevons. - is the club you showed refinished? The reason I asked is that the white was a glaze, not the usual water stained lacquer finish. It had a tendency to chip easily, as seen on all of the eBay clubs except what appears to be the most lofted . It was a finish that turned yellow when exposed to sunlight. There was no polyethylene on clubs at that time.

CHARLEY PENNA

[i]"Some items are beyond words"[/i]

Teevons-

All those WW Special markings appear to have been in place.....

Charley-

To find any MacGregor Toney Penna WW Special set is rare, but to find pieces 1,2,3,4..and 5...and 6.....?

When you said "You ain't seen nuthin yet...."

These clubs are kind of what I thought you meant.... find any MacGregor 6 wood from this period.

It's almost like the set belonged to someone who had more than a passing acquaintance with your uncle at MacGregor....

....and the luthier(s) that made them...note the soleplate difference on the 1-4 butterflys vs 5-6 sweepbacks

Still.....the very existence of this set could have been a collectors' "Unicorn".... therefore money was no object.

Did anybody get out their magnifying glass to see the Reg Nos.....?

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1383826758' post='8114320']
This set for the big dough is very interesting. Although white woods were offered with( red or black ) on white inserts. I have never seen any which were not red on white. The top stamp also matched the insert color.

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Did you ever see a "6 Wood" from those days, Charlie? That really looks like an odd ball set of MacGregor Woods. I remember some of the ladies' clubs coming in the white finish, but with a Butterfly sole plate? Never saw one, not that they couldn't have existed.

I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but a friend and I spent a couple of hours one Saturday at your Uncle's shop in Florida, I suspect it was in the very early 80's ? If I recall correctly, it was around Jupiter or somewhere north of West Palm Beach? I'm not sure I even remember if the shop was under the "Toney Penna" brand or was he with Rawlings in the early 80's? Memory is the 2nd thing to go.
[/quote]

Brian , I have a 6 wood from the same year as the WW and WWT.. M06B. Its even on the same page as the WW's in the 1954 MacGregor catalog. Originally offered in coal black glaze (mine's been refinished, but probably looked better black) very heavy brass sole plate, much different from regular Tourneys.
Similar 5 wood as well: M05B. Both promoted as trouble clubs. I have other 5 woods that match the Tourney and Armour sets. But this is the first Tourney 6-wood I've seen. 50 grand is a bit extreme, even back in the day when a set of 693's or 945 eyes could run 15 to 17 hundred.
I'm still curious about the 5. And 6-woods having sweep back sole plates.as I mentioned above, I know that the 5-wood was available with the traditional butterfly sole plate. But the catalog states that everything is customizable...except the white glaze. And only red or black paint fill
Uncle Bob

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1383881669' post='8117864']
[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1383826758' post='8114320']

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

[/quote]

grand is a bit extreme, even back in the day when a set of 693's or 945 eyes could run 15 to 17 hundred.
[/quote]

Or when someone would pay $2000-$2500 for a nice LFF :) Can you imagine what we would have got for that stuff, if we had eBay in those days?

Tim - I think your jumbo 693 ranks along side the WWs as well as Charley's custom DFD with the blonde perfect grain. What other drivers would you place near them in collectibility? Would Hogan & Nelson 693s be in the same class? Are there other 693 drivers and do they all have 693 above the sole plate? Besides the obvious big 4 MacGregors how would a TPT Special rate?

Like Charlie displays, there are very few if any drivers that can get a 1k price anymore. They would have to be very special , a one off , or celebrity or played by and owned by an x pro, maybe Palmer, Nicklaus etc. Even Wood Bro that were owned and played by a pro can be had for under 1k.
If you look at the auction site that Penna has clubs that are one off and very rare are priced very reasonable. 20 years ago you could put another 0 next to some of the prices in that auction
Regarding the WW Special that sold for 50k I have asked the seller for more info with no reply other than he said they are sold

[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1384036130' post='8124888']
Charley - Jack had his famous custom 1966 driver. How many tour players had custom MacGregor drivers similar to either the one you have or Jack's? And what was the year your blonde bomb shell was made? Thanks again.
[/quote]

What was Jack's "custom driver"? I had Jack's Driver in my hand at Winged Foot, in 1984. I was chit chatting with his son Jackie and he let me look at it. Jackie said it had been broken in pieces 3 times & epoxied back together. It was an off the shelf 945, although Jack could have done some shaving to the top edge. If I recall correctly, most 945's looked closed.

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1384043661' post='8125316']
[quote name='tstephen' timestamp='1384036130' post='8124888']
Charley - Jack had his famous custom 1966 driver. How many tour players had custom MacGregor drivers similar to either the one you have or Jack's? And what was the year your blonde bomb shell was made? Thanks again.
[/quote]

What was Jack's "custom driver"? I had Jack's Driver in my hand at Winged Foot, in 1984. I was chit chatting with his son Jackie and he let me look at it. Jackie said it had been broken in pieces 3 times & epoxied back together. It was an off the shelf 945, although Jack could have done some shaving to the top edge. If I recall correctly, most 945's looked closed.
[/quote]

Correct about the 945. 1976 was when he started using the 945 and before then and I guess even during he played the custom 6 screw that MacGregor designed the Nicklaus 271 driver after. Previous to that he played his Armour SS1. I think those were the 3 persimmons Jack ever played on tour and someone please correct me if I am incorrect. See the Golfwrx thread regarding this topic.

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1384052634' post='8125936']
Also according to Nicklaus website,he won 86`Masters with an Armour 693 driver
[/quote]

Until reading a couple of Golfwrx threads I thought it was just his 3 wood that was a 945.
Another thread mentioned there were no WW drivers which I know now was false.

Getting back to the Penna WWs - maybe someone should contact Guiness Book of World Records. As a kid I remember that is how the Honus Wagner t209 was made famous.