New Contracts confirmed

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1383882101' post='8117904']

I can follow what you are saying but I really do think that what some of these big names and faces of the brands are pushing has an influence on people. We might not hear a lot of people that say they want certain equip due to a specific player but I think they see the power of someone who is followed like Phil in the decision making process for the average golfer. If the choice was between two clubs from different oems and they couldn't see a difference, they'd go with the club from their favorite sponsored player.

Remember "Be like Mike"? It may not happen blatantly but there is always some subconscious brand steering going on in our minds.
[/quote]
I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that i have never bought or played a club because a tour player was using it.....

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1383882334' post='8117918']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383881388' post='8117848']
[quote name='PMAC' timestamp='1383879141' post='8117704']
[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1383860930' post='8116432']
PMac to TMAG would be neat ;)
[/quote]

I already do[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1383865990' post='8116742']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383865678' post='8116720']
Does anyone else think this stuff is basically meaningless?
[/quote]

Me.
[/quote]

If so why read into the second page and make a post. Most who read this enjoy it.
[/quote]

Maybe you could read my posts and understand what I meant... I realize it doesn't work that way here though :russian_roulette:
[/quote]
Please refrain from stating your opinion and asking questions.....It keeps others from enjoying this thread......
[/quote]
:russian_roulette: You got it

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I think these types of changes are worth mentioning because the majority of the high handicappers and new golfers out there who don't read WRX everyday will see what clubs a player uses and remember that when it comes time to purchase.

"Oh, Tiger and Rory use those."
"Didn't that guy who won the US Open use Taylormade?"
"That Bubba guy uses Ping right?"

It's about brand recognition for the point of purchase. Again, this doesn't apply to the WRX community, but it applies significantly to the majority of the golfing population and those new golfers who are looking to start playing.

[quote name='TKD24' timestamp='1383883756' post='8117990']
I think these types of changes are worth mentioning because the majority of the high handicappers and new golfers out there who don't read WRX everyday will see what clubs a player uses and remember that when it comes time to purchase.

"Oh, Tiger and Rory use those."
"Didn't that guy who won the US Open use Taylormade?"
"That Bubba guy uses Ping right?"

It's about brand recognition for the point of purchase. Again, this doesn't apply to the WRX community, but it applies significantly to the majority of the golfing population and those new golfers who are looking to start playing.
[/quote]
It's not just high cappers that do it. ;)

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1383859943' post='8116362']
[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1383859420' post='8116338']
Some of these have been speculated and I am sure there is more. You may see some in new gear but most won't be allowed to until Jan 1 after existing contracts expire. These are done deals, hats and shirts have been ordered and are in production for those that need custom and personalization.

*Pat Perez to Callaway
*Harris English to Callaway
*Ernie Els to Adams
*Matteo Mansserro from Titleist to Callaway, he looked at a couple of major OEMs but Callaway offered twice what another (not Achushnet) offered.
*Another Major Winner leaving Callaway for TaylorMade. Not sure if I can make this public at the moment but many can guess this one. He is playing today with the old gear as is everyone here except maybe Perez.

There is a couple more to come, can't comment on yet but I am not aware of any major deals or players. Overall, so far, a relatively quiet year. But there are still some talks going on. But these OEMs have budgets that they are holding to. Only Callaway is spending more. They and Nike are spending more endorsement money against revenue than the others!
[/quote]

Els to Adams?! That's definitely a change of pace. Is he going to be Adams straight through the bag, or do you think he will be open to have some Taylormade as well?

Also another major winner from Cally to TMAG? I think the only others are what Furyk, Immelman, and Phil? Furyk isn't a full
Cally deal anyways, but Phil switching would be nuts!
[/quote]

Els is going to play a TM driver. I heard this at the range from a bunch if gossiping Staff guys but you know we hear a lot of crap!

[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1383881908' post='8117884']
Big question is what do they do with their old sponsor equipment?

If they don't need it, I'll take it. I'll PM them my address. :to_become_senile:
[/quote]

A lot of them keep it - I've seen pictures on here of Darren Clarke, Ernie Els, Arnold Palmer and Nick Price's club rooms at their homes - absolutely stuffed full of gear you would give your right arm for.

top name players add legitimacy to a brand among a million other reasons. It's all about emotion. Marketing 101 and believe me it works well.

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

If one of these established tour stars absolutely loved their equipment would they take less to stay with their current company instead of taking the highest bidder? I know in the case of Rory the money difference between what Nike was offering and what Titleist would offer was probably too big, but lets take for example a player like Rose. He just won his first major and is playing great. Is the difference between these offers that large to mess with changing the equipment your totally comfortable with?

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1383914647' post='8118638']
top name players add legitimacy to a brand among a million other reasons. It's all about emotion. Marketing 101 and believe me it works well.
[/quote]

Absolutely but what does that mean? Works well? I cannot imagine the investment Nike has made with TW and Rory (just an example) actually paying them back in sales and those are the biggest names in golf. So I 100% agree, it gives legitimacy to the brand and I like what someone else said earlier about the players work with the OEM's for design and input BUT these mid level guys making big money.... I just find it hard to believe they move the needle.

For what its worth I've been in a meeting for marketing for a major OEM and I know how they look at where their tour investment goes.... One thing I found surprising without giving out too much inside info is-- the HAT. They put a lot of stake on TV time with the hat.... and the persona that goes with a hat and bag deal because most people will not go too much further than that to see what's in the bag but they see the big staff bag and the OEM's name on the player's hat.

Obviously-- I just think this is fun discussion. I'm sure these OEM's have done their research before they stuff money into players.... and I definitely don't think I know more than they do. I just find it interesting based on my experience in the business.

Let's take it one step further--- which do you think is a better (or best) strategy? Titleist-- they want young quality players... push the golf ball and have a lot of players playing the golf ball and very seldom pay anyone big time. TaylorMade-- lots of guys, push the driver/metal woods, lots of hat, bag and metal woods deals, have quite a few big money guys. Callaway-- seems similar there but maybe less of the hat, bag, metal wood guys.... and they also seem to be making a big push. PING-- brings up their junior and college program guys, pay the smallest amount, do NOT pay for their one off clubs for non-staffers... ie- PING putter, Anser hybrids, irons in the bag of random players, wedges, etc.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='drpurpell' timestamp='1383909457' post='8118504']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1383881908' post='8117884']
Big question is what do they do with their old sponsor equipment?

If they don't need it, I'll take it. I'll PM them my address. :to_become_senile:
[/quote]

A lot of them keep it - I've seen pictures on here of Darren Clarke, Ernie Els, Arnold Palmer and Nick Price's club rooms at their homes - absolutely stuffed full of gear you would give your right arm for.
[/quote]

You can buy all of Pat Perez's stuff from proclubsdirect.

Seems kind of douchey for a millionaire who gets product for free to sell his old equipment rather than donate it to the first tee or something. But who knows, maybe he donated the money to charity. Or a down payment on another Lamborghini.

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set @ 19* evenflow 6.5

Mizuno MP 67 3&4, mp33 5-pw TI X100

scratch  54 & 60
Cleveland TA milled 1i

[/quote]

Yet you're in here, reading and commenting. It doesn't really matter to me but it is news and it is interesting. Also it's a topic that generates conversation.

D - Ping G410 LST 10.5*, Aldila RIP X 6TX
4W - Ping G410 - 17.5* (set to 16.5) Aldila RIP Phenom 7TX

7W - Ping G410 - 20.5* (set to 21.5) Aldila Rogue Silver 125 80TX
Irons - '16 Titleist TMB 4, CB 5-7, MB 8-PW, TI DG AMT X100
W - Titleist Vokey Forged 50.08 (bent to 51*) & 56.10 (bent to 55), Vokey SM6 58.04 (bent to 59)

P - '14 Scotty Cameron Squareback
B - Titleist ProV1, Titleist Staff Bag

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383918117' post='8118806']
[/quote]

Absolutely but what does that mean? Works well? I cannot imagine the investment Nike has made with TW and Rory (just an example) actually paying them back in sales and those are the biggest names in golf. So I 100% agree, it gives legitimacy to the brand and I like what someone else said earlier about the players work with the OEM's for design and input BUT these mid level guys making big money.... I just find it hard to believe they move the needle.

For what its worth I've been in a meeting for marketing for a major OEM and I know how they look at where their tour investment goes.... One thing I found surprising without giving out too much inside info is-- the HAT. They put a lot of stake on TV time with the hat.... and the persona that goes with a hat and bag deal because most people will not go too much further than that to see what's in the bag but they see the big staff bag and the OEM's name on the player's hat.

Obviously-- I just think this is fun discussion. I'm sure these OEM's have done their research before they stuff money into players.... and I definitely don't think I know more than they do. I just find it interesting based on my experience in the business.

Let's take it one step further--- which do you think is a better (or best) strategy? Titleist-- they want young quality players... push the golf ball and have a lot of players playing the golf ball and very seldom pay anyone big time. TaylorMade-- lots of guys, push the driver/metal woods, lots of hat, bag and metal woods deals, have quite a few big money guys. Callaway-- seems similar there but maybe less of the hat, bag, metal wood guys.... and they also seem to be making a big push. PING-- brings up their junior and college program guys, pay the smallest amount, do NOT pay for their one off clubs for non-staffers... ie- PING putter, Anser hybrids, irons in the bag of random players, wedges, etc.
[/quote]

No doubt, the hat and bag deals have the most bang for the buck. By covering the woods and a carefully drapped towel, even Greg can't always get a clear picture of the contents of some bags!! It is why they (and we imitate!) put their sunglasses on the back of their hats. Don't cover the Logo! These guys wear their hats in interviews so it is the only thing visible at all times. That is why Robert Rock is so unique.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle
Driver:           Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S
Fairway:        Callaway Mavrik 3+ /13.5*  Rogue 6S
Hybrid:          Callaway Mavrik Pro 2/18*  4/23* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway '19 Apex Pro 2 Dot 5-PW MMT 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway MD 5 50/56/60 DG S200 
Putter:           Toulon Design Chicago 34" w/Stroke Lab

Ball:               Callaway 2020 CSX 
Bag:               Callaway 6 way carry
My WITB

[quote name='Chilli9880' timestamp='1383918774' post='8118838']
[/quote]

Yet you're in here, reading and commenting. It doesn't really matter to me but it is news and it is interesting. Also it's a topic that generates conversation.
[/quote]

I don't think the thread is meaningless, if you keep reading maybe you'll get what I meant. I enjoy the conversation, it doesn't take a simpleton to figure it out.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm with ya but it's extremely hard for us who go bananas over clubs to see it through the eyes of Joe weekend duffer. We are tainted lol.

But yes hat and bag are huge. I feel for the caddies because staff bags seemed to be getting bigger (more signage) lol especially Patrick Reeds caddy whom I expressed this too.

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would venture to say that Nike paying TW and Rory is less about solely influencing their golf sales alone, but rather their brand as a whole. Nike wants the top athletes in the world repping the swoosh and Rory and TW are two of the fittest athletes on tour.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1383920665' post='8118942']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would venture to say that Nike paying TW and Rory is less about solely influencing their golf sales alone, but rather their brand as a whole. Nike wants the top athletes in the world repping the swoosh and Rory and TW are two of the fittest athletes on tour.
[/quote]

LOLOL-- $50 million a year to have two of the fittest golfers on tour!

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

Sounds like Ernie is getting ready for the Champions Tour. Switching to Adams seems to be the common move for guys reaching the end of their PGA tour days.

[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]917 D2 10.5 Matrix Rul 60X[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]915F 15* Matrix RUL 70X[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Tour Edge [/color][color=#ff0000]CB Pro Tungsten 2 iron with Speeder Pro[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]4-PW[/color] [color=#ff0000]716 AP2 AMT X100[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]SM6 54 & 58 TI S400[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron [/color][color=#ff0000]Futura 5MB[/color][/b]

Nike contracts are about the brand ...aka the Swoosh. That is why none of their staff players can have any other logo on the apparel.
Example is Rory, who before the Nike deal, had every logo possible on the hat, the sleeves, the collar, etc. Now it is only the swoosh.
And that embroidered swoosh is 3 times larger that what comes on standard apparel we buy in the stores so it's captured on every camera
it is exposed to both TV and print.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1383913807' post='8118610']
I think it matters to a degree and agree some weekend golfers buy equipment based on what they see the pros using . I know its a little different, but look at whats happened with superstroke. Phil and Duffner won majors with the grip and from what I hear stores can't keep them in stock now.
[/quote]

------- and don't forget the white driver and putter craz!.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven TU, Seemore si3, si5, Directed Force Reno, PING Ketsch
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='taylorx300' timestamp='1383923299' post='8119138']
Nike contracts are about the brand ...aka the Swoosh. That is why none of their staff players can have any other logo on the apparel.
Example is Rory, who before the Nike deal, had every logo possible on the hat, the sleeves, the collar, etc. Now it is only the swoosh.
And that embroidered swoosh is 3 times larger that what comes on standard apparel we buy in the stores so it's captured on every camera
it is exposed to both TV and print.
[/quote]

Exactly. They don't sign Lebron and Derek Jeter to sell basketballs and baseball gloves. They pay these athletes big money to boost their brand. Some people just don't understand that.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1383873465' post='8117318']
[quote name='tommyrobson' timestamp='1383869852' post='8117020']
Callaway locking up Ishikawa and Manny makes sense economically for those who are wondering why they would bother with signing both these players.

Ishikawa is HUGE in Japan. Japanese golfers pay unheard of amounts of money for golf clubs. I won't add those together for you guys, should make sense.

Mannasero's signing does the same thing for Callaway but in Italy. It is also probably a bet by Callaway that Manny will get big soon and would rather pay now then after its happened.
[/quote]

Exactly.

At the Fry's tournament, Matsuyama, as the next big thing in Japan, had a press following that was not quite Tigeresque but definitely Phil like. While Ishikawa's star has lost a little of its lustre, he still had a noticeable following as well.

Even if Manassero isn't the next Rory, if he were to become the next Monty in terms of European success it would be a good signing for Callaway.
[/quote]
If Manassero goes on the win the Order of Merit ten times and dethrones Monty as Europe's best Ryder Cup player it will have been a huge signing. But I'm not sure he's going to get anywhere near Monty's career.... Seems like a good young player though.

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

[quote name='JDuffJr.' timestamp='1383863293' post='8116610']
I think it would be cool to se Phil go to Tmag
[/quote]Agreed. Just for the humor value of watching heads explode through the internet on this forum. :lol:

--kC

Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1383926054' post='8119392']
[quote name='JDuffJr.' timestamp='1383863293' post='8116610']
I think it would be cool to se Phil go to Tmag
[/quote]Agreed. Just for the humor value of watching heads explode through the internet on this forum. :lol:

--kC
[/quote]

I doubt they would let him roll an Odyssey if they pulled him from Callaway. Maybe they'd make him a new one or let him roll a Napa? That would be sweet!