New Contracts confirmed

MCoz

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1384443850' post='8148082']
[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1384435946' post='8147538']
[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1384414820' post='8147168']
[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1384413015' post='8147140']
Looks like Joost Luiten is leaving Titleist. Saw him with a TM driver and nameless bag the other day.
[/quote]
I have to say when the Korean group bought Acushnet Golf that they would be a little more aggressive in keeping some players and maybe sign an occasional experienced player away from another company at least once a year. But for now it seems that it will do no more than before. It is hard to understand how it can stand pat while everyone else in a growth mode. It almost makes one think that they know something others don't, meanwhile they are loosing market share in the different categories.
[/quote]
Market share isn't everything. If Titleist sold their woods for $50, irons for $100, wedges for $25 and Scotty Camerons for $25, they would 90%+ market share in every category, but that doesn't mean they'd be making money.
[/quote]

MCoz seems to slam Titleist every chance he gets. In another thread he said that TaylorMade's sales were down 17% this year but several others were up this year like Callaway, Nike, Adams and PING. But he came to the conclusion that they had taken market share from Titleist who was relatively flat this year. Seems to me that TM is the one who they took market share from and Titleist just kept on being Titleist.
[/quote]

If you are going to quote me get it right. TM is down in dollars and units which is primarily in fairway woods and utilities but also in driver sales but not irons. (But they will likely make up some of the losses in December) Callaway is up in both dollars and units primarily in fairway woods and drivers but not irons. Nike has increases in Woods but not irons. Titleist is down virtually across the board including balls. The club sales (irons and woods) losses are a small part of their bottom line because that is not a big part of their business. I also noted that Cleveland-Srixon was down in club business. Losing sales does not always indicate loss of market share when the the total industry is down. Just because someone is down is dollars doesn't mean the others are down by the same amount. 2013 is clearly a down year.
It is amazing how the Titleist followers think don't want to know reality. The Callaway followers weren't happy while they had a deep fall but they for the most part weren't in denial. Now they have turned it around. (They haven't recaptured their losses but at least it looks like they have a better idea where the road is and know that there is alot of work in front of them. They are adapting many TMAG ideas about how to do it and are not concerned with Titleist because Callaway's club business already easily exceeds Titleist although they ahve surpassed them in dollars yet due to balls and shoes sales. If you don't like what is happening you can't really deny it but you can choose to ignore it. If Acushnet does decide to try to get back into the fray then you can decide whether you want to pay attention again. Acushnet was number 1 in club sales for a brief time in the 90's when they bought Cobra Golf which was number 1 on their own actually. Then Acushnet in a very poor attempt to parley Titleist club sales off of Cobra's success they proceeded for a while to increase the Titleist a little all the while destroying the Cobra company losing hundreds of millions of dollars before almost giving away Cobra to Puma (for less than half of what Adams sold for). This was the biggest crash in the golf business from purchase thru losses to "selling" it off for a fraction of what they paid for it. I believe over a period of time Callaway may have lost more total dollars in a stretch but they were able to maintain a large company,

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='specimania' timestamp='1383864582' post='8116670']
Rumor has it rose to callaway as TM hasn't resigned him
[/quote]

surprising as you would think they would want at least a short term extension with a reigning major champ, you know?

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383922148' post='8119062']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1383920665' post='8118942']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1383918117' post='8118806']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1383914647' post='8118638']
top name players add legitimacy to a brand among a million other reasons. It's all about emotion. Marketing 101 and believe me it works well.
[/quote]

Absolutely but what does that mean? Works well? I cannot imagine the investment Nike has made with TW and Rory (just an example) actually paying them back in sales and those are the biggest names in golf. So I 100% agree, it gives legitimacy to the brand and I like what someone else said earlier about the players work with the OEM's for design and input BUT these mid level guys making big money.... I just find it hard to believe they move the needle.

For what its worth I've been in a meeting for marketing for a major OEM and I know how they look at where their tour investment goes.... One thing I found surprising without giving out too much inside info is-- the HAT. They put a lot of stake on TV time with the hat.... and the persona that goes with a hat and bag deal because most people will not go too much further than that to see what's in the bag but they see the big staff bag and the OEM's name on the player's hat.

Obviously-- I just think this is fun discussion. I'm sure these OEM's have done their research before they stuff money into players.... and I definitely don't think I know more than they do. I just find it interesting based on my experience in the business.

Let's take it one step further--- which do you think is a better (or best) strategy? Titleist-- they want young quality players... push the golf ball and have a lot of players playing the golf ball and very seldom pay anyone big time. TaylorMade-- lots of guys, push the driver/metal woods, lots of hat, bag and metal woods deals, have quite a few big money guys. Callaway-- seems similar there but maybe less of the hat, bag, metal wood guys.... and they also seem to be making a big push. PING-- brings up their junior and college program guys, pay the smallest amount, do NOT pay for their one off clubs for non-staffers... ie- PING putter, Anser hybrids, irons in the bag of random players, wedges, etc.
[/quote]

I would venture to say that Nike paying TW and Rory is less about solely influencing their golf sales alone, but rather their brand as a whole. Nike wants the top athletes in the world repping the swoosh and Rory and TW are two of the fittest athletes on tour.
[/quote]

LOLOL-- $50 million a year to have two of the fittest golfers on tour!
[/quote]

I dont think Nike Golf is where it is without TW. They were basically non existant. I would say that investment has paid off over and over

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1384464194' post='8149514']
[quote name='callawayforelife' timestamp='1384464061' post='8149500']
Just did a little twitter research. And I'm not certain and have no inside information but it looks like Perez, English, and Rose are going Callaway for 2014.
[/quote]

I would be genuinely surprised if Just Rose went to Callaway.
[/quote]

As would I.

And frankly IF he were Rose seems to be a classy enough guy that he would make sure no one leaked it.

[quote name='Fore(ged)' timestamp='1384539981' post='8154076']
How much profit does Nike Golf give Nike per year?
[/quote]

Nike isn't disclosing it. However, the real ROI is TW exposure. When non-golfers see or hear the name "Tiger Woods", they think of Nike in general.

And BTW, Justin Rose will end up with Nike.

[quote name='mack_n_rolla' timestamp='1384551504' post='8154922']
[/quote]

Nike isn't disclosing it. However, the real ROI is TW exposure. When non-golfers see or hear the name "Tiger Woods", they think of Nike in general.

[/quote]

Mack, Rose going to Nike in the future is a pretty strong statement. I know anyone can say a particular player will go somewhere else but where are you getting these info because I have some contact inside and they dont spill the beans. Yes I know the RIGHT guys in the company..

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

Not a big Rose fan, but it would be a huge pick up for Nike or any other company.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And the cubs will win the world series.

I suppose anything is possible with no timetable...

[quote name='heyjude1979' timestamp='1384541045' post='8154186']
Not surprised. Callaway is going after younger players to gain more appeal with the young golf population that typically doesn't play their equipment.

How do you get this info??
[/quote]

I never could understand why Callaway was always considered "for old guys". But I work part time for a DSG in the golf department, and literally every 50+ male that comes into the store, I can just b-line it to the Callaway section and meet him there... every time.

It's a good look for them to start projecting that younger image for sure, and they really put some horses in their stable. The asian players they have and have picked up recently are some studs. That's another thing I noticed, Callaway is rockstar status in Asia.

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

[/quote]

[/quote]
Rose is not going to Nike in the near future, that is for sure. A few years down the line . . . well we will see. Anything a few years away is pure conjecture.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Els to Adams makes a lot of sense considering he was spotted playing the Lethal just a couple weeks back. I can't see Rose to Nike that soon. My TMAG rep always talks about Rose being the pillar for Ashworth. He inclined that ashworth would be willing to cough up more $$$ to keep him if anyone tried to pick him up.

[quote name='Titleist_4_Life' timestamp='1384611522' post='8157726']
Els to Adams makes a lot of sense considering he was spotted playing the Lethal just a couple weeks back. I can't see Rose to Nike that soon. My TMAG rep always talks about Rose being the pillar for Ashworth. He inclined that ashworth would be willing to cough up more $$$ to keep him if anyone tried to pick him up.
[/quote]
You do realize that TMAG owns Ashworth? Although that was a separate deal. Rose is not going anywhere.

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1384725177' post='8163230']
Anyone else hear Henrik Stenson to Cally in 2014? That would be a huge addition to the stable after the year he just had.
[/quote]

He already plays Callaway irons and fairway woods.

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

Anyone else hear Henrik Stenson to Cally in 2014? That would be a huge addition to the stable after the year he just had.
[/quote]

They just had a good shot of him hitting a Callaway wedge on one of the last few holes.

[quote name='Ness' timestamp='1384726594' post='8163344']
[/quote]

They just had a good shot of him hitting a[b] Callaway[/b] wedge on one of the last few holes.
[/quote]

Stenson Plays Callaway Legacy Black Forged irons and still carries Callaway fairway woods

[quote name='martinbns' timestamp='1384726574' post='8163340']
[/quote]

He already plays Callaway irons and fairway woods.
[/quote]

I know he does but he is not "officially" under the Cally umbrella as of yet. I'm sure he will go for big bucks now!

The Italians are all over the world & love their countrymen.

Think Luongo in hockey, and when Italy wins a paint drying (soccer) match....

Hopefully he looks like a golfer next year, not some little pansy in a Kinder Surprise hat.

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1383981955' post='8122750']
[quote name='FutureOfTheTour' timestamp='1383965291' post='8121972']
Companies sign players for marketing!! Matteo has the potential to move the needle in his country just like Ryo did, and if you read the new article on the home page you will see that Callaway sales are up by 12% in asia!! I think that pays off!! Its about what the player can do for a marketing stand point. Big hitters like bubba and dustin will sale drivers to the average player. Dont overlook that these are companies looking to make money!! They do everything for a reason!!!! Building and growing their brand where they see fit.
[/quote]
Matteo's reach is beyond Italy. It has to be, there is not a lot of golf in that country the least of any of the major western European countries per capita and the Molinari bros have had the most reach. There isn't enough business to pay for three endorsements.
But Matteo remains a popular figure on the European Tour in total.
[/quote]

[quote name='alange_underpar' timestamp='1384579174' post='8156938']
[quote name='heyjude1979' timestamp='1384541045' post='8154186']
Not surprised. Callaway is going after younger players to gain more appeal with the young golf population that typically doesn't play their equipment.

How do you get this info??
[/quote]

I never could understand why Callaway was always considered "for old guys". But I work part time for a DSG in the golf department, and literally every 50+ male that comes into the store, I can just b-line it to the Callaway section and meet him there... every time.

[/quote]
It is because they built their brand when those guys were younger, playing stuff like the the berthas, etc.

[quote name='csiachos' timestamp='1384735075' post='8164084']
Duffy Waldorf to Nike. Bet on it.
[/quote]
Uhh, . . . yeah . . . okay. What ever you say ????