i20 users...really that good?

russian7

[quote name='russian7' timestamp='1384833230' post='8170564']
[quote name='LongBomber12' timestamp='1384738021' post='8164332']
I have hit multiple sets of irons, pretty much everything from 2 years ago until now. I game the I20s and was never a cast fan before this set. I played and loved the 2008 AP2's and the 712s but I keep going back to the I20s. I have never been a huge Ping fan, tried the S56s, hit them alright but I wasn't playing enough for me to consider them forgiving. The I20s are superb in every aspect, I play scratch and these irons work the ball just as good as anything and feel amazing doing it. Miss hits for me typically only lose 5 yards at absolute most and I love how these get the ball in the air. I have my set matched up with some True Temper Black/Gold X-flex shafts and the combo is perfect..High, penetrating ballflight- no pin is hidden for me here or tucked in Florida. Was never really a high ball hitter until I got this combo and they just hit and land ever so softly on the dance floor. I may sound like a fan boy but the truth is, like I mentioned earlier I was never a huge Ping fan. If I had to choose another iron other than these I20s it would be the 712 Ap2's but these I20s are too easy to hit and feel like butter for me to think about getting rid of them. From one Ping I20 lover to a soon to be new one, get them bent to your specs and I promise you will be pleasantly surprised how these irons perform.
[/quote]

Finally got mine in and fitted! Omg I am EXTREMELY impressed 1 range session I could do it all. An I love the cfs shafts they just launch and carry! Long irons so easy to hit and long and they are workable man these are the best pings I've ever hit maybe even better than my s59s! Wow!
[/quote]

Good to hear! They really are great clubs and constantly have people trying my irons and loving them

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Players vs. GI--I thought the whole point of the i20 was to be a hybrid/in-betweener whereby you get the forgiveness of a GI but the playability of a players.

That's precisely why I bought them anyway. I don't really want to buy new irons every other year, so I really wanted to get an iron that fit my game at the time, but that over time I could also grow into. They have to be in the top 3 of that category since they cater to so many skill levels. From Lee Westwood to me...ha.

Some people don't like the offset of the top line, however I traded my Anser hybrid for a 3 iron i20 several months ago and I have not been disappointed with that choice since.

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a set of these over the 55's. I've tried them a few times over the last couple of weeks and really like the way they perform. I used to be a guy that had to play forged irons but honestly I can't even tell the difference in feel between cast and forged, both feel great in my opinion.

The longer irons have more offset that i'm accustomed to, but i'm sure I will get used to that in time. I also wouldn't mind seeing the i25's before placing my order.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1384881367' post='8172558']
I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a set of these over the 55's. I've tried them a few times over the last couple of weeks and really like the way they perform. I used to be a guy that had to play forged irons but honestly I can't even tell the difference in feel between cast and forged, both feel great in my opinion.

The longer irons have more offset that i'm accustomed to, but i'm sure I will get used to that in time. I also wouldn't mind seeing the i25's before placing my order.
[/quote]

If you watch Mark Crossfield's videos comparing the i20s to different clubs, its funny to see how flabergasted he is when he hits the i20 vs other forged clubs on the market and finds they feel better.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

[quote name='somaplr' timestamp='1384893389' post='8173622']
[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1384881367' post='8172558']

[/quote]

If you watch Mark Crossfield's videos comparing the i20s to different clubs, its funny to see how flabergasted he is when he hits the i20 vs other forged clubs on the market and finds they feel better.
[/quote]

I was watching some of those videos last night actually. It is funny because he has pretty much played Mizuno irons for all his golfing life from what I gather.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

• 4 weeks later...

I never got a straight answer on this. Ping claims the i-20 are 17-4 stainless steel. My feeling is that they are not cut from the same cloth as previous irons. That is to say that they are stainless clad and NOT made from pure stainless steel castings. Can anyone say for a fact that these irons are made in the exact same way that the i-3, i-5, etc. because I contend that they are NOT THE SAME MATERIAL.

Fantastic irons is all I can say.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1387419906' post='8321063']
I never got a straight answer on this. Ping claims the i-20 are 17-4 stainless steel. My feeling is that they are not cut from the same cloth as previous irons. That is to say that they are stainless clad and NOT made from pure stainless steel castings. Can anyone say for a fact that these irons are made in the exact same way that the i-3, i-5, etc. because I contend that they are NOT THE SAME MATERIAL.
[/quote]

Not sure, but the feel is stupendous. It's been a long time since I've had a set of irons that has me not even paying attention to what irons are coming out next.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

This set of irons are one of the best irons I have ever played. The feel can be a bit muted compared to some forged clubs but I gladly make the trade off for the consistency of these irons. When I started playing golf I did not like Ping at all but I soon became a believer in their equipment. Ping seems to consistently put out a solid product which I cannot say about some other OEMs. The only club Ping cannot knock out of my bag is the Scotty. Although have have been known to flirt with a redwood zb.

It's all these threads like this one that finally made me give in. I have a lightly used 4-W set coming in blue dot with CFS regular. I played Eye 2's so many years ago when they were "new" and haven't played (or even tried) Ping since (may have rolled a putter more recently). As I was telling my buddy, I just could not ignore the positive comments on here any longer and I had to see what these i20's were all about. If they replace the gamers then fine :-).

It's not just positive comments here that have me thinking about spending more than usual for a :gasp: new set of irons. A buddy of mine hit some in the fall and he just raves about them. At this very moment he is scrounging up as much $ as he can. The penny pincher in me is worried about durability but also thinking what the heck play them a couple years then replace if necessary. They also look nicer than the others with the ferrules and back the way they are. You only go around once in life.

I've commented in here a few times but I can't stop talking about my i-20s. I am the biggest club ho and change stuff out all the time but the I20s have stayed. I've changed shafts a few times but the heads are here to stay. The only other irons I will use besides my I20s is a set of AP2 712s. These irons do everything! Every person who has hit mine have either bought a set or are waiting till after xmas to do so. Trust me, if anyone gets these irons they will not be disappointed. Even mis-hits feel amazing and you only lose 5 yards or so. Turf interaction is the best I've felt as well. Also gotta love that since they are not forged they do not get dinged up or fade after awhile

[quote name='LongBomber12' timestamp='1387471034' post='8323185']
I've commented in here a few times but I can't stop talking about my i-20s. I am the biggest club ho and change stuff out all the time but the I20s have stayed. I've changed shafts a few times but the heads are here to stay. The only other irons I will use besides my I20s is a set of AP2 712s. These irons do everything! Every person who has hit mine have either bought a set or are waiting till after xmas to do so. Trust me, if anyone gets these irons they will not be disappointed. Even mis-hits feel amazing and you only lose 5 yards or so. Turf interaction is the best I've felt as well. Also gotta love that since they are not forged they do not get dinged up or fade after awhile
[/quote]

What shafts did you switch to? I have the CFS shafts and they seem to balloon on me and I lose distance.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Well, I started with the CFS X shafts, very high ball flight but didn't spin much. The dispersion on those shafts was just as good as Dynamic Golds, they are just lightweight. I switched to S300s, played the KBS X's, PX 6.0's and finally right now I have some True Temper Black Gold X shaft. Progressive weighting so the swing weight gets heavier as you go from 4 iron to PW. I personally prefer a standard or little heavier iron shaft to get the ball up in the air and help with dispersion. If they are ballooning and spinning, try some S300s or X100s. Dynamic Gold is the lowest launching, lowest spinning shaft on the market (they are heavier than the CFS shafts). It all depends on what you are looking for though

Going to get fit for a set of i20's tomorrow. Pretty excited! Only in golf can I justify spending more money because I will likely not have as much practice time to keep up with playing blades.

Callaway XHot Pro 9.5 PX 6.0
Callaway XHot Pro 17 PX 6.0
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid
Mizuno MP 59 4-P KBS Tour S
Vokey SM5 50F / 54F / 58K
Kingston GSS KP1

I love my i20s. Bought them with Project X 5.5s, which were an extra $21 per iron (really, Ping?).

Question, though. I'm actually starting to get some browning in the PW an 9 iron. I've never seen that in a Ping iron before, but maybe I've just never owned a set long enough to see it. Has this happened to anyone else? (I bought these new about 6 months ago, so it's not from the first wave of i20's that may have had some finish issues.)

I keep trying other clubs but always come back to these and I got these in March of 2012. Best feel ever and still forgiving. I'm only 37 but I can see myself using these for a very long time.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

[quote name='Jack Pearsall' timestamp='1387833109' post='8340681']
Pretty badgey for JP.
[/quote]
i20's are badgey I suppose, but results are what matters.

As far as all of the finish concerns, these are made of the standard Ping 17-4 SS. In addition, they are plated with a "satin chrome" plating that has the bead blasting on the hitting area. The bead blasting has had some wear issues that are purely cosmetic. Ad far as the browning goes, I haven't seen any myself to this point. I suppose any plating can wear through. Still the 17-4 SS below the plating shouldn't rust. I'd like to see some pics of the browning. Maybe it's just the plating materials transition while wearing off that browns.

I had a set of I20's, loved the shorter irons, never got along with the longer irons, maybe too much offset. I got rid of them, too inconsistent for me.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I've had my i20's for over a year and no browning on mine yet and quite a bit of the plating is gone on my U and PW.

Titleist TSI3 9.5 / Ventus TR Blue 60x
Titleist TS2 15* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist TS2 18* / Aldila Phenom 70x
Titleist 913H 21* / Hazrdous Smoke 6.5

Titleist T200 / T150 5-G / Modus 105S
Titleist Vokey SM8 56 / 60
Scotty X5

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1387479959' post='8323921']
[quote name='LongBomber12' timestamp='1387471034' post='8323185']
[/quote]

What shafts did you switch to? I have the CFS shafts and they seem to balloon on me and I lose distance.
[/quote]
I put kbs tours in them ( had them sent out from the factory that way). I like more of a mid flight trajectory and a heavier shaft 120-130g range. Most ping shafts launch high and weigh a little bit less i believe. kbs is good stuff.

[quote name='stratjb' timestamp='1387866985' post='8342753']
[quote name='Jack Pearsall' timestamp='1387833109' post='8340681']
Pretty badgey for JP.
[/quote]
i20's are badgey I suppose, but results are what matters.

[i][b]As far as all of the finish concerns, these are made of the standard Ping 17-4 SS. In addition, they are plated with a "satin chrome" plating that has the bead blasting on the hitting area. The bead blasting has had some wear issues that are purely cosmetic. [/b][/i] Ad far as the browning goes, I haven't seen any myself to this point. I suppose any plating can wear through. Still the 17-4 SS below the plating shouldn't rust. I'd like to see some pics of the browning. Maybe it's just the plating materials transition while wearing off that browns.
[/quote]This sounds right and seems to be more of what I am seeing lately in used clubs. The plating is very thin. Below that is the stainless base metal that is a different color but isn't rust, just a different tone. Can either of the two comments above verify that what they are seeing is actually rust? Does it come off orangish-red on a white towel? The delamination issues they had earlier were probably some Chinese manufacturer trying to pull a fast one. I really hope it wasn't an experiment by Ping to cheapen up materials in the manufacturing of the product early on. I am thinking that the change was Ping trying to pretty up the irons with ferrules and chrome plating and there was some confusion in the beginning as to how to go about it.